Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Bishop Rodan posted:

My personal favourite is Burgundy in Kamchatka.

Teutonic California here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

DrProsek posted:

Small issue with EUIII+; christian daymios get the decision to become Jerusalem. They can't really do much with it unless they become Shogun and then conquer Judea which I doubt the AI will do but I suppose a crafty play may find a way to make use of it :v:.

Given the AI and its random tendency towards being awesome (in its own way) in this game, It wouldn't actually surprise me if it happened once in a blue moon.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Huh, I'm signed up for the newsletter but nada.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Im still annoyed that the newsletter didnt come through, even though I remember getting SotS.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Kingdom of the North, Metis Confederacy and Canada all spam the "join the confederation" decision incessantly.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Or, A Heart of Popeness, in the case of the UK.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
On the subject of making Victoria 2 more character-driven, if anything, the shortened time period - where, feasibly, most of the characters are alive for most of the duration, makes it as good a test bed as anything for the next in the series when that time comes again.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Communist Republic of Italy is the strongest great power in my current victoria 2 game.

I think something broke somewhere. Communist Hungary keeps popping into 8th place aswell.

I am scared.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Shorter Than Some posted:

They're two for two now right? Or has there been another game since CK2 I have forgotten.

Yes, and be glad you have.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

Really, what?

I'll admit, its a bit naughty of me, but Gettysburg: Armoured Warfare, even if it was only Paradox a publisher, was a month after CK2, unless I've messed up the timing somewhere.

Ill apologize for bringing that game up, though.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

Switzerland being tilted weirdly to the right is bugging me more then it should. I can't unsee it. :(

Isnt that a quirk from France stripping territory away from the Swiss Revolutionary Republic?

Darkrenown posted:

Woah buddy, this here thread is for PDS games (and I guess games based on our tech since MM and DH etc. get a mention), take your filthy PI published games talk elsewhere!

Although if you did want to count all the PI games since CK2, there's several (not out yet and most recently released are at the top), but if you just count full game we actually made MotE is right after CK2.

Indeed there have, but I have a penchant for bringing up the most terrible I could remember. Naval War was actually a game I don't regret buying, for example.

But yes, you are right, but I feel that if I mention that game enough, it will one day be good.

I can live in vain hope, right?

Westminster System fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 19, 2013

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
To be fair, given a reasonable starting date, you could plunge the world into eternal war that never reaches critical nuclear mass.

Then stuff like that becomes important.

Indeed, the depth of it also ties into "Oh no, the world ended". Cant supply your ships without operational ports afterall.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

ImPureAwesome posted:

Plus a lot of European cites, or at least Germany, got bombed to flattened rubble during WW2, which gave them an opportunity to modernize a lot of poo poo after the war.

Or in the case of the UK, rebuild it in exactly the same infuriating way it was constructed in the first place.

Because screw you, Hitler.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I believe Azerbaijan's Independence is guaranteed by Mitteleuropa, even if thats not stated explicitly in game.

Until you try and invade as Russia, that is. If I recall correctly, you need German assent.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
From memory, theres a fair few events that put you on a path to conflict, either with the traditional allies, the soviet union, or both.

When you export the revolution at some point, multiple countries get a chance event to switch to a communist government - sometimes, this fails. Other times, it succeeds, but in some cases the Soviet Union gets mastery rather than you.

The conflict basically boils down to whether you form your own 4th Internationale or become Stalin's buddy. Manual DoW may be required, but I don't remember doing that.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Might as well add CoD levels to HoI.

The Afghan Invasion of Ireland would be fun. Especially with Voice Acting.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Why is this /so good/.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

The Afghans and the Irish are the closest of allies :colbert: Need I remind you of this?

Allies are but enemies with a temporary meeting of interests.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Lets look at this demo then shall we?

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Has never been so apt.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I'm sure the potential successes (Like Darkest Hour) more than outweigh the risks involved.

After all, its not like Paradox aren't willing to cancel something that wont work anymore.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
EU3 actually has a little going on behind the scenes in regards to rebels - Its based on province manpower.

I tested this by giving a province 1000 manpower in a save file. The several thousand unit stack it spawned pretty much proved that theory.

So, I guess they don't come from anywhere in the strictest sense, but theres a bit of math and sense to it.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Oh, Africa :allears:.

Baronjutter posted:

Is there any way to ADD more accepted cultures or are they hard coded to your nation? Like if my nation becomes 50% german will german become an accepted culture like in eu3 or am I stuck with Czech/Slovak forever?

Whilst I don't know of any way for cultures to become accepted in game (though a mod may do that) - if it makes legitimate sense, I usually edit my save game and add an accepted culture. If you don't mind doing that, searching for human=yes and then your primary culture, like, say "british" will take you to your culture section - the layout is as such:

primary_culture="irish"
culture=
{
"british"
"ainu"

Basically that would give you primary culture, irish, obviously, with british and, for no apparent reason, say, ainu, as accepted cultures. If you typo a culture it will show ingame as noculture, which lets you know you should go fix it.

Hope that helps.

Westminster System fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 20, 2013

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
That's what the Liberate Country casus is for.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

I fully admit to helping Greece plod along to great power for an iota of a second to form its rightful Roma, aswell as giving Afghanistan its rightful due.

Also dismantling Russia because god drat they really love declaring wars over Astrakhan. Monster-Ukraine scares me now.

But what the hell Victoria.

I swear, every time I looked at europe something new and hilariously ridiculous had happened. Republic of Sweden, Republic of Poland.. Ireland fully occupying the UK and resulting the Kingdom of England.

I.. just don't know anymore. I'm gonna go live in Glorious Mega-Manitoba, I guess.

EDIT: Oh good China westernized and we're all doomed.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

3 North American Great Powers. Mexico, The CSA, and.. A Canada with a population under 1 Million that managed to confederate Columbia, Manitoba, Newfoundland and Quebec.

Was there some change to the Alaska decision? Russia offered to sell it to me, though I can see why, or is that a NNM change?

I swear V2 just tries to be weird as hell when I play it.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

How'd you pull off annexing so much of the (former) US? Just holding them back whenever it declared war on you and attacking both the US and CSA during the civil war?

Oregon and Idaho ended up in Columbia so that was an easy picking later on. The war with Texas was really annoyingly long but lead to the cessation of Kansas eventually, as the US intervened after I had mostly dealt with Texas, but I didn't want to push my luck. From there it was a case of waiting for the US to declare war and letting them waste troops then demanding what infamy would allow. Reforming the USCA as a puppet provides a fair bit of fodder if the AI bothers to move it.

Wyoming ended up in the CSA randomly (its either Wyoming, Montana, or both, from experience so far), so after I intervened for the CSA I dissolved our alliance, took Wyoming and Oklahoma, and resphered the CSA (before it decided it would become a GP). Free states ended up with Colorado, so that was that.

VERY lucky. If any decisive military engagement had happened with the USA before the civil war I probably would of lost and rage quit. The Civil war was another matter, by then I couldnt hold back - but luckily I had military parity and two stacks of troops I was willing to use, with a decent composition, that resolved the civil war within 3 months of my intervention. I also got two infamy reducing events which removed the possibility of a containment war.

No idea how ridiculous this is going to become, though.

Westminster System fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 5, 2013

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I just took a look back through the thread to find the POP tool for V2 and the list of working (or at some point working) converters someone made, but can't seem to find it.

Any help in that regard?

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

Decided to reinstall EU3 today, does anyone know if the Colony Name Change Mod (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?507760-Colony-Ingame-Name-Change-Mod) is compatible with MiscMods expanded?

Fairly sure its included to a large extent.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
As far as AAR goes, criticism is thin on the ground (unless asked for, and oh boy, is that a mistake).

A good hint towards you being terrible is a lack of response, but if you're writing about something people have interest in and there isnt much of it.. then all roads leads to insanity.

Either way, I'd be wary of AAR's that are detail or feature heavy for a Paradox game before they go gold. They'd need to start a good few months in advance and who knows what major feature would be raved about in an AAR then scrapped because it couldn't be done right. The Paradox Forums hardly need a valid excuse to go batshit in the first place, let alone giving them actual material.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Really, Vicky 2.. Really?.

These Checksums are getting more and more interesting lately.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

V for Vegas posted:

Something along the lines of the ill-fated Red Shift would be the greatest.

I'm really sad Red Shift never became a thing.

Do it Paradox.

Please.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
But don't you know, people value their game experiences more if they pay more.

Right?

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Vegetable posted:

Most of the Muslim world and far Eastern Europe are untouched, but Europe is reduced to tiny one-province states. Most of these are Muslim; the only bastions of Christianity are Sardinia, Aragon (in Mallorca), Scotland (not pictured; that yellow thing is a Sultanate) and Catalunya (Spanish state in the Pyrenees).

Don't forget glorious Norway in Orkney who usually thinks fighting Scotland is the best way to survive. And by survive I mean die.

And of course cute little Iceland, just chilling up there, randomly ending up colonizing Greenland, cause you know, why not?.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

ThePutty posted:

Trade zones were also rather boring in EU3, it had no real amazing effect on anything. EU4 actually allows you to shape and dominate trade areas, so there's going to be an actual element of figuring out where to expand and colonize based on how much trade you want to control.

There is only one acceptable answer: All of it.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

DrProsek posted:

the Mancunians not becoming Koreans

You have no idea how hilarious this is.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

Dutch Aragon

Ooooh, so its okay for Austria and Spain to take all of the things up there but not the other way around? I see how it is. :colbert:

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Have they finally gotten someone to make a decent space game of any description?

The last few years have been a train wreck as far as they are concerned.

In regards to the whole EvW thing, wasn't the point to add Real people from History™ aswell as random nobodies for certain minor parties/fringe political views and only for certain countries?. Not that I think it's a good idea.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
So, I finally finished my first game of EU3 ever in all the years I've had it. I used MiscMods because COLONY NAMES! and other features. I decided, finally, to play the scenario with 100% more Cathars. Oh And by Finish I mean it kept freezing in 1772 and the next 28 years weren't going to change much, so I called it a day. My one personal goal was to form as many union type nations as possible and help Natives modernize, and I feel I succeeded in a few there. China is OP in every game, just saying.

I then spent the next few hours making pretty borders, and considering none of the Java scenario editor tools wanted to work, that meant changing tags in the text files, yay!

Go Hog Wild Mentions:

Byzantium: Good on you. Took Rome, messed with the Middle East, exploded a few times but came out looking good. I had to take territory away from it in my FIXING BORDERS because it was simply too dominant to make playing near it fun.
Germany: Germany Took half of Russia. This could not stand. "Time of Troubles" were not kind to it, I'll tell you that. Its Prussian former self and its current German incarnation have spent 200 Years ripping Austria to shreds before Austria decided it would give up and become Hungary.
Ireland: Independent most of the game after rebelling from the UK. France and the UK decided to take it apart again, but it managed to recoup most of it's losses whenever France "accidentally" got into wars with Germany or the UK.
Norway: Woo Norway!
Russia: I thought Russia was done for when Germany was basically half of Russia, but it managed to survive and deserves a medal. Probably made out of Mongols, because it sure didn't like them.
Inca: Dominant Native Power. Controls La Plata and Paraguay as Vassals. Had annexed them at one point, but their explosion made them lose most of Brazil, some land to Colombia and ultimately the Colonial nations that they'd annexed split off. Came back from the brink though.
Ethiopia: African France.
France: Blobzilla strikes again. Did not count on German Blob.
Maratha: I managed to get the three indian unions to form. Hindustan got killed by Maratha and Japan. Karnataka got killed by Malaysia. Malaysia got kicked out by Maratha. Random Byzantine and Japanese Holdings remain in Karnataka.

Honorable Mentions:

Japan: So you can colonize when colonizing means attacking India, go figure.
The Maori: Muslim Maori's. This scares me. What have you wrought, Arabia? Its also a republic, because, you know, when you get ridiculous, why not go all the way?
Malaysia: Colonized a fair bit and even decided to take half of India. Failed spectacularly but stayed intact.
Italy: Yeah, totally not a thing. Naples managed to keep its independence though.
Catalunya: Spain exploded spectacularly near the end of the game, 99% of its American holdings went to the USA and Catalunya invaded it in a punitive war, (Spain had 40 Infamy for some reason). Catalunya decided Aragon looked good with their name on it.
Australia: I don't even. Lotharingia in control of the former UK colonies, Arab Colonies and some Malaysians just chilling out.
Zapotec: Looked to be dominant at once point, but got its face kicked in by the Inca's and converted to their religion.
Maya: Aww the cute Maya. Inca Vassal.
Jin Shan: Chinese Colony in California. Decided to release them as a vassal in a quasi-tributary fashion the Chinese might of been comfortable with. Held onto the South American Colonies though.
The Hansa: The Hansa remain independent. Lubeck for some reason has never been touched. They held nearly all of West Africa at some point (and now control Fez as a vassal, due to their implosion through wars etc) but still retain land in Tunisia. Far cry from owning half the Carribean, Brazilian colonies and all that african land though. They even had South Carolina at one point.

All In all its a game i'd of loved to convert, but none of the tools want to work with me, so curse you, fate.

Westminster System fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I tried a cursorary conversion, and whilst I could muddle through changing country names in a roundabout dumb way (the localization folder, woo laziness) - how do I deal with the noculture issue.

Or rather, why the hell wont this god drat java tool work.

• Locked thread