Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Pimpmust posted:

Easily the biggest flaw of Darkest Hour (that and keeping the original's CAS division melting effectiveness - unless that's been fixed lately?), my precious statistics :negative:

The 1.03 beta patch has casualty statistics, and even gives you a casualty report after battles. I don't think CAS obliterates land forces, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Nolanar posted:

Lastly, just to check: OPM = One-Province Monarch, right?

One-province minor, which makes a difference since a lot of them are theocracies or republics in the HRE.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Awesome, thanks! Maybe now trying to play as Persia will end in something other than whiskey and tears when the Russians invade :haw:

Only if you keep cheating in more research points until you have all the military tech, and even then it'd probably be a stretch.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Jabarto posted:

Can you explain this a bit? I've never fully understood what causes a culture to become/stop being accepted.

In vanilla, cultures become accepted if at least 20% (I think) of your tax comes from core provinces of that culture, and stop being accepted if less than 5% does. In EU3+, now, they can become accepted by decision and never stop being accepted as long as you have a core province of that culture on the same continent as your capital.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Vegetable posted:

Also, an EU3+ peeve I have: Trying to form Germany but am lacking only Wien, so I fabricate claims on it and war with Austria. But despite the CB explicitly stating conquest of Wien, there's no way to take the capital province of another nation. I know you can't do that in the vanilla game too but I had thought the CB's wording meant I could circumvent that requirement. Looks like I'll have to swallow Austria chunk by chunk and wait another 50 years.

If a nation's capital is (landlocked OR the only coastal province they own) and doesn't border any of their other provinces, you can take it in a peace deal. Wien being landlocked, you might be able to conquer it in just two wars.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Nightblade posted:

Well, I didn't want to have any non-contiguous territory in the new world, and I just recently colonized up to them. I did conquer the northernmost tribe in S-A and the new goldmines were amazing, but I decided to take out Italy before I cleaned up the rest since I just got a good tech lead on them, and I went from 0 levels of overextension to level 4 from the new Italian territory. I got that down to 2 levels by researching Gov tech 28 and switching to Absolute monarchy, but then my 8 admin king died and the new king has 3 admin, so I got another level of overextension. Now I just want to get rid of that again before I conquer anymore, and besides, beating up the native Americans is way less fun than taking over Europe.

At least attack them and take all their money in the peace deal. They get ridiculously rich, because they have all that gold and nothing to buy because of their awful tech levels.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

telcontar posted:

Have you tried PDM? It's much more dynamic and a Great War is basically guaranteed to happen at some point.

Doesn't make playing as an unciv fun, though, which was what he was doing.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

A Violence Gang posted:

I wouldn't mind if the second-level allies could be called but only fight in defense of their actual allies' territory so they can't get improbably roped into the initial aggression. But that raises some questions about how strictly you define that (must the fighting take place within the ally's borders?) and might be too nuanced for the AI to handle.

And even if that did work perfectly, it'd still make it impossible to conquer an OPM if France is a friend of a friend.

Cynic Jester posted:

I don't mind someone else taking over leadership of a war. I do mind it happening 5-6 times in the same war. When I declare war, it should say "Country A is allied with Countries B, C, D. If B joins the war, they will take over leadership of the war." And that's it. The buck stops there. B can call in his allies, but none of those will take over leadership and call in their allies. I should be able to tell with reasonable certainty just who I end up fighting when I declare war.

I'd prefer "Country A is allied with Countries B, C and D. If B joins the war, they will take over leadership, but will only be able to call in allies of Country A."

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

SeaTard posted:

That would be really nice right up until you've captured a dozen provinces and have a giant spew of lines that occupy the full screen. If there was a way to have it show the expanded information when it's only a few modifiers, and a more condensed one when there are a ton of modifiers that would be perfect.

Or a condensed version by default, and you can expand each line to see what exact provinces they're angry about by clicking it.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Graham Gremlin posted:

I'm using Landsknechts as my infantry. The composition I have is roughly even, I have one less cavalry (I think its 12/11/4). Could low prestige be affecting my morale? They've really tanked my prestige with the illegal imperial territory crap. Is it worth just giving in and dropping out of the HRE, it'd mean losing Lombardia, Cremona and Liguria but it's worth it if I don't have to put up with Austria's bullshit any more. What would happen to my vassals in the HRE? It doesn't mention them in the tooltip.

Also is there anything I should be doing with my money? I have like 1000 ducats spare.

Have you checked their national ideas? If you click a province of theirs, there'll be a column of icons on the left-hand side representing their ideas. Check if they've got good military ideas, Military Drill and Battlefield Promotions in particular could let them gently caress you up. Come to think of it, how do your generals compare to theirs? If they've got one good high-Shock general, that could be the cause of your problems.

As for doing things with your money, hiring generals if you don't already have a leader for every army is probably wise.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've never bought a Paradox game on Steam before, so I'd like to ask: How good is Steam with keeping the game up to date with beta patches, and how does it play with modding? I think I'd use my code myself if it guaranteed I'd never have to go into their tech support forums again. Not that there's anything wrong with their forums, but downloading and unpacking and installing the patches myself is a fair bit of effort I could do without.

Steam keeps up to date with regular patches, but you still have to install beta patches the old-fashioned way (y'know, because they're still under development and not ready for general release and all that). Mods work fine, although launching EU3 from Steam launches the base game rather than the launcher, so you'll have to launch the launcher separately if you want to play a mod. Everything else I've tried (DH, Vic2, CK2) launches the launcher when launched from Steam, though.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

Why did everyone hate the Aztec DLC so much? I thought it was a cute reversal of how actual history turned out, and it's completely optional.

Because most of the posters on the Paradox forums are history spergs, common-or-garden spergs and/or ultra-nationalistic.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Vegetable posted:

Isn't an analogy supposed to show that two subjects are comparable in some ways?

Utterly hosed unless you do something really cheesy is a way.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Alchenar posted:

ps. Paradox feature:

If you still can't load that page, the post's about Russia's map colour turning red if they become the Soviets.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Kersch posted:

Is there anyone out there who feels generous and still has one of those EU3: Chronicles keys stowed away from the big giveaway a while back? I have a friend who wants to give the game a try, so I figured it might be worth asking.

PMed you mine.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Riso posted:

I don't remember where I got the number from, but no, in HOI terms you wouldn't be able to change poo poo because.. THE MILITARY BUDGET WAS A SECRET TO THE CENTRAL COMMITTEE ITSELF.

Oh and agriculture sucked because of Lysenkoism.

Like A Buttery Pastry said, what's the point of a Cold War game where the Soviets are doomed to fail?

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Shorter Than Some posted:

I think in CK terms in would be Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture, though there has been talk of it changing to Absolute Agantic.

No, there's been talk of changing it to full cognatic. Absolute Agnatic would mean women could never inherit.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

StrifeHira posted:

So recently decided to try my hand at an Ikko-Ikki -> Republic of Japan game (first time I've ever dealt with a Shogunate game in EU3+). I've been managing it well, saved Korea from the Manchus and put up a puppet state there, started up a few colonies, and then I check to see Europe...

...I really hope Italy can keep Espanha occupied, because... Christ, that's a lot of colonies. :psyduck:

Iberians colonise South America, film at 11. Come on, that's not even them in India.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Stalingrad posted:

I enjoy that England is "British" but Scotland and Wales have distinct national identities.

Also that most of Switzerland is in the French culture group, and that Hungarians, Romanians and the culturally-homogeneous Balts are all various types of Slavs.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Alchenar posted:

Assuming equivalence with culture in other games, that seems a reasonable way of setting up the UK so that it can be broken up and reconquered.

Yes, but that would work just as well if they called the English English.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I'd imagine it's probably to prevent England from seceding/being 'liberated' in war and having an England and a Great Britain composed of Ireland, Wales, and Scotland.

That's easily prevented by not having an England tag, and just renaming Great Britain to England when it loses the Celts.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Jean Pony posted:

At the start of the game you have close to zero prestige and releasing a vassal costs xx prestige, and you must be at positive prestige to do it. It doesn't have anything to do with your ability to declare wars. I don't think it's anything new, but I've only played since Divine Wind so before that who knows.

If you want to cheese it, you can declare a pointless war and offer to release all your vassals in a peace deal. It's the only way I could unify Germany properly, since by the time I could form Germany drat near every German minor was my vassal.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Pooned posted:

Wait, where can i see those stats for which country my population is emigrating to?
Switch to the migration mapmode and mouse over your country, it'll give you a breakdown of how many people have migrated to/from each country.

Serpentis posted:

OK, so I've tried to install Vicky 2 again and I've gotten yet another crash error on initalizing maplogic for the first time: "File exception: Exception in: virtualfilesystem.cpp, line: 624. Description: The system cannot find the file specified."

It's been this way pretty much every time I've tried every few months or so and given up on the Pdox forums for an answer. Anyone got any ideas?
Clearing the map cache usually fixes that one for me. Go to <install directory>\Victoria 2\map and delete everything inside, but don't delete the map folder.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Serpentis posted:

Just the "cache" folder or everything under the map directory?
Just the cache folder, sorry. Also, there's another copy of the cache in Documents\Paradox Interactive\Victoria 2\map , so delete that one as well.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

YouTuber posted:

It was an annual deficit of some retarded number like 50-60 ducats with no army at all. I outright couldn't understand it. I attempted to hire a Master of the Mint but it was always greyed out for some reason.

Huh. Post a screenshot of your budget window, maybe someone can figure out what's up.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Orange Devil posted:

What's up with so many people never having seen a civilized city before?

Most of the posters on SA are yanks.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

gradenko_2000 posted:

IIRC you need to increase literacy and let the proles get some extra cash (which means not taxing them as hard), which will translate into increased consciousness, which will further translate into increased militancy.

I don't think you'll necessarily need the rebels, though - you'll be able to implement more democratic reforms if and when your militancy gets high enough, and then you'll get hit with a "Turns into democracy" event after you've implemented enough reforms

You can't get rid of the monarchy without a rebellion, though, so if you want to become a republic rather than a constitutional monarchy you'll have to provoke the rebs.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Darkrenown posted:

Yes, but if you needed, say, 100 cement to build a fort, but you only had your buying stuff slider on 50% you'd only buy 50 cement the first day and 50 the next (assuming it was available etc.) I expect you'll normally keep the construction slider at 100% and only adjust the army/navy sliders much though.

So all the construction slider does is slow construction ever-so-slightly? What's the point of having it, then?

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

SeaTard posted:

Some of EU4 HRE looks nice, but there is one little thing on there that worries me. I like that there will be a modifier for Elector vassals to make it so that all the other Electors hate you, but you can also go to war to remove Elector status, and assign it to whoever you like.

So what is there to stop the Emperor from just collecting 4 vassals, and then making them all Electors? It doesn't matter if the other ones hate you, because 4 gives you a majority. And hell, just go all out and revoke/assign to a few more vassals, and end up with a full set of 7. It looks like it'll be even easier to game the HRE in EU4, which seems like the opposite of what was planned.

Each vassal elector getting 3-6 hits of "I hate your guts because you vassalised other electors" would probably do it.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Nightblade posted:

Imperial authority decreases by 1 each year for every empty elector seat.

Dev diary just says it decreases by 1/year if there are less than 7 electors, it doesn't mention the penalty getting worse the less there are.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

It also you know, doesn't work with the new tech system which is based on monarch points.

Why not? Just have a load of situational modifiers for how many monarch points a tech costs.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Which revolters institute a Constitutional Monarchy and which overthrow it? I'm thinking it's time for the Amir to yield some power to the angry mobs.

Jacobins institute a Constitutional Monarchy if you're currently an Absolute Monarchy or Prussian Constitutionalism. Otherwise, they institute a democratic republic.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

YouTuber posted:

Is the tax slider screen the only information you get in terms of income in EUIII? I feel like it's not descriptive enough as to why you're suddenly losing gold yearly when the exact scenario was just fine a few years earlier.

That's all you get. Are you sure it's the exact same scenario? Did you expand your military, or lose a load of merchants, or something?

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Ofaloaf posted:

I think it means you simply cannot attack a beachhead with 8 or more divisions.

No, it just means your troops lose 10% combat effectiveness for every division more than your max amphib size you have in a naval landing. So, you're still better off with a couple more divisions than that limit (8 or 9 will be a whopping couple of percent more effective than 7 if you have Massive Naval Invasion) because while each division will be less effective you'll gain some benefit from having more, but going much beyond the max is unwise.

Also, you've probably guessed this, but don't send tank, motorised or cavalry units into an amphibious assault, they'll get slaughtered.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Qwo posted:

I just noticed there have been a whopping 22 EU4 dev diaries. Has there been mention of how fleshed out the non-white world will be at release? Or how colonization will work?

Nothing about non-white countries in particular, but you now have a fixed number of colonists (exactly how many is affected by national ideas) rather than gaining them over time. Sending a colonist to an empty province eventually founds a colony, and leaving him there makes it grow a lot faster.

I'm pretty sure that's all they've said about colonising so far, but there's another 30 dev diaries to go.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Fister Roboto posted:

Crossposting this from the paradox forums, here's a really good example of why PDM's military changes are completely retarded and nonsensical:

It gets worse. PDM gives (or at least used to give) non-artillery units support values. That means they can attack from the rear lines, boosting the attack and defense stats of whatever they're standing behind. Of course, since the game was never designed to work with non-artillery units having support values, it got confused as hell and put artillery in the front lines and had infantry and cavalry support it from behind.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

DrSunshine posted:

In my modernized China V2 game, after the latest election a gang of radical conservatives in the Guomindang party took power, turned back all the democratic political reforms I'd made, outlawed elections and turned the country into a presidential dictatorship. They're Laissez-Faire in their economic policies, so I've lost control of my economy and it retrogressed back into little basket factories that pop up and close all the time. Tens of thousands of proletarian workers are sitting unemployed, waiting for the capitalists to finish building their factories.

This isn't what I wanted! :smith:

How do I fix this, besides reloading from a save?

Use your national focuses to promote Communism, and make sure you don't garrison Beijing.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Going to experiment with turning every nation into an unciv. Hang on, I might break the future.

Someone tried that once. It doesn't work, because the game needs to have eight Great Powers and uncivs can't be GPs, so it crashes every time you try to start a game.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Baronjutter posted:

Can anyone explain how all the reforms work? Do things like heathcare actually make my people healthier and live longer or be more productive? Do all the reforms actually have benefits to your society? I ask this because from what I read, the guy designing the economy was a raging neo-liberal so probably views all these things as costs, drains, bad things. You throw your people some free education only to stop them from rioting, not because it's actually an excelent and profitable investment into your society.

Basically do all the things like health care, work safety, education, pensions and so on actually result in them being a good investment in your society, or are they just unfortunate costs to be avoided unless your people are threatening violence?

Lifespan is not a thing. You have a population, and a population growth rate. The healthcare reforms increase growth rate, education reforms boost literacy, and things like pensions basically just calm the mob. If you hover over a reform, you'll get a tooltip telling you what it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

YouTuber posted:

How do you raise organization in the early game? My starting armies always run at a sliver of green in their bars when matching around. Also how do you make your babies not fall apart on a trip across the ocean and how do you repair afterwards? I would put them in a naval base and have military spending at 100% and nothing would happen. Vicky 2 is a tad bit more detailed than Eu3 and ck2

Military spending just pays your troops' wages. If you want to have organisation/repair/reinforce, you need to have the army/navy national stockpile sliders (or the single national stockpile slider, if you're not playing HoD for some strange reason) set to a higher value - you should really try to keep those at max during wartime, and not reduce them to nothing during peacetime.

As for ships disintegrating due to attrition when you send them across the ocean, research techs that make your boats faster and (if possible) make stops along the way - if you can persuade Portugal or the UK to give you military access, you can stop off at the Azores or Bermuda or something and patch some holes in your hulls.

Attrition you'll just have to deal with, until you can research techs which reduce it. Try and keep your armies below the supply limit (a province can support 1000 dudes per point of supply limit, plus a little bit more if you're using a general with attrition reduction) unless you need to concentrate force to fight things, and don't go traipsing around through enemy territory if you can help it, just park a stack in a border province and don't move it until you win the siege/you really need that stack somewhere else.

• Locked thread