Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I still think it's amazing that Steppe Wolf of all things got released, gets regular updates and is actually improving, while Magna Mundi is the one that never saw the light of day.

To be fair, Steppe Wolfe was a fan-made mod, whereas Magna Mundi was a project costing Paradox money to maintain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

John Charity Spring posted:

The staff list had a very obvious find-and-replace done on it, so we end up with things like this:

World Stage the Mod! I've NEVER HEARD OF IT, Ubik. Tell me more!

Just so this can't be edited away later.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

From an MP game I played a while back:

I'm glad to see my newspaper editors have correctly identified the importance of current events.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

fuf posted:

You know I never understood the mechanics of the HRE before, but this has inspired me to try it out. Two questions:

1) Is there a way to tell which provinces are imperial provinces (and will give the 'unlawful imperial territory' hit to infamy)? Kersch just seems to know.

2) The LP and quote above make Austria seem kind of easy. Or is it just easy for expert players? Is there someone else in the HRE who might be a bit harder than Austria but still strong enough to tolerate some of my inevitable gently caress-ups?

With regards to 1. - just turn on the imperial mapmode, the one shaped like a crown. Any provinces colored green are in the HRE (the different shades of green are for the emperor/electors, they're also HRE provinces).

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Try again with EU3+.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

SA forums are the "best forums that [Johan's] not an admin of".

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Mokotow posted:

So I've acted like a moron, and rather than purchasing on Steam where I keep all my games, I bought EUIV over GamersGate. Any hope I'll be able to register it on Steam?

It's all Steamworks, you'll get a Steam key and must, in fact, register it on Steam. The only problem you might run into is if you have CK2 on Steam the save game converter you'll get won't work as you'll be getting the GG one.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

MP seems to be completely screwed up, Gorgo, Viscardus, and I got a game going but when rehosting only Gorgo could see it while Viscardus and ZearothK could not. The scroll bar for the mp lobby is broken (it keeps scrolling to the top of the list) and joining through Steam invite to/join game is broken. Sorting mp games by tag is a CTD. We could not connect via Tunngle either.

It worked well and was fun when we could actually play the game though.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 13, 2013

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Lum_ posted:

A Communist Germany is amusing from an alt-history perspective; recruit Trotsky as a minister and win the world for the Fourth International.

edit: beaten but leaving it since I actually linked to it! :effort: However it looks like Mixed Mod includes it as well, so, welp. Just so this post actually has value, here's the mod you really were looking for.

Still doesn't beat the bug from vanilla DH where if you couped the Soviet Union as a Leninist government you got Lenin and Trotsky back in charge, along with the rest of the civil war government.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Wow, I must say that the We Are The World contests are turning out better than I thought they would.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Victoria 1's combat was functionally the same as Victoria 2's combat: March stacks into provinces, winner comes out victorious. Key differences were:
- a Manpower system more reminiscent of HOI and IMO worked better than V2 brigades being tied directly to the source soldier POP
- manual replacements; not necessarily a UI-only failing given the nature of the Manpower system since ordering up replacements depletes soldier POPs
- none of Clausewitz's "combat width, shock-and-fire phase" combat system, AFAIK, and the way the STR/ORG levels worked out you had to order retreats manually or face total evaporation of your brigades
- forts were a lot tougher and as a result Great Wars turned out somewhat more like WWI if the battle lines were drawn accordingly

Good point; Victoria 2 deserves its Grand Duke Nicholas vs Conrad von Hotzendorf DLC

There were also two ways to make manually reinforcing armies quick and easy, and one of them was an unintuitive button and the other was hidden in a menu. Discovering those made reinforcing armies much, much less tedious.

Late game armies with lots of artillery would deal extremely high amounts of damage, making WW1-era combat actually feature battles as deadly as the Somme or the Italian offensives on the Isonzo.

Forts functioned fundamentally differently in V1 than V2, in V1 they were not primarily about sieges but rather about giving bonuses to armies defending the provinces that they were in. The higher level forts were also quite expensive, so you tended to have a very strong front line of forts with a weaker back line.

E: Clicking on the fist would reinforce the entire army; the other options were using one of the ledger pages on an army basis or reinforcing each individual division through a series of clicks. It took me like two months to realize that that was a button.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jan 7, 2014

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

AOD is a stand-alone engine improvement/upgrade of HOI 2 in the same vein as Darkest Hour, except the devs had different ideas of what they wanted to do, and the DH guys did more and supported their project for longer.

You might be thinking of Iron Cross as the one that's rooted in a mod and can't actually run without being applied overtop of an existing HOI2 or AOD or DH installation.

Iron Cross has the unique ability of being able to render any HOI2-based game totally unplayable.

quote:

I dunno, a bad cold war game can still be fun. I hope it somehow becomes good obviously, but there's some charm in a cold war game where the Vatican can win the cold war by declaring war on the USSR and USA, causing both nations to become hostile at eachother and fire nukes at eachother.

Both sides will be too busy fighting insanely detailed naval battles and will forget that they have nukes.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

uPen posted:

There's already games that do insanely detailed cold war era naval battles way better than East vs West could ever hope to. East vs West needs to do the economic/political/diplomatic side better than the other games. Has there been an indepth look at any of those systems? Every dev-diary I've tuned in for has been military in nature which I have no interest in from EvW. :(

I've pretty much stopped thinking of EvW as a cold war game and now think of it as a (probably bad) WW3 game. Every bookmark is a war, the one politics dev diary revealed it will have a less complex internal government system than even HOI2 with only head of state/head of government for countries, and almost all of the dev diaries have been about war.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

I'd love if some variation of the civil war system from EU:R made it into other games. It was the best civil war system Paradox has done.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

In the game we had previously played, the Ottomans had more than 200,000 troops and then allied with mega-France and Russia. This was richly deserved payback.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Historical capital Fanagoria is clearly Commonwealth clay, however.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Patter Song posted:

He'd need to conquer Kaffa province to do that.

Also historical Commonwealth clay :colbert:

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 27, 2014

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

He had better move pirates to defines so that I can turn the bastards off next time I play Aceh->Malaya. :colbert:

Without the points nerf to non-Western tech groups, Chinese and Indian tech group countries can totally remain only 1-3 techs behind Europe depending on ruler luck. As Malaya, I had to actually hold off on teching for a bit to allow Spain to get 8 ahead of me when I westernized in the mid-1500s.

Wiz was Qing, I was Malaya, Visc started as Japan but it was AI for the last 100 years (weird uncolonized stuff is due to it being a pre-COP save). HRE was AI Austria going absolutely nuts with inheritances and such. It inherited half of Burgundy, Scotland, Ireland, Poland, and Denmark and had >600k troops at game end.

:psyduck:

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 8, 2014

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

If you pick up exploration and are in Asia, all you need to do is colonize a province in Africa adjacent to a European colony. I started westernizing as Malaya in the 1500s with a colony in the Gold Coast (which I sold off to Mali afterwards). Indian and Chinese powers could easily do similar (probably waiting a bit longer until someone reached Cape and using Andamans/Diego Garcia/Mauritius as stepping stones).

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 9, 2014

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

asaf posted:

I'd love it if there were a way to build wormholes between provinces in a Paradox game, though you'd need to make it science fiction to justify it and it would probably screw with the AI / pathfinding. Still, literally digging a hole to China...

Playing an old version of CK2+ with Wiz we once discovered a wormhole between the Baleares and Morocco due to a patch that had changed some province IDs. Patter Song's Steppe Wolfe LP also showed off some fun naval ones.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Riso posted:

You know, in the case of slavery, the most recent would be the Arabs. They also treated their slaves significantly worse than the Europeans.

So I take it you've never heard of sugar plantations in the Caribbean, then.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

catlord posted:

I thought it was somewhere deeper in Africa and Poland?

While there might also have been one of those, I distinctly remember a warp to the Baleares.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

I wouldn't mind knowing what possible economic or strategic value is found in holding the Strait of Magellan or the New Zealand straits, or in what situations the USSR would ever lose access to the Sea of Azov.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Tomn posted:

This is amazing. Flying emperor dual-wielding a gladius and a kukri leading a fascist Roman Empire during the Cold War with Trotsky as his chief of staff. :allears:

As a Trotskyist I can confirm that this story was 100% fact.

A friend of mine summarized the AI dev diary as such:

quote:

For the purposes of the dev diary all that could just be summarized with "we are using a scripting language called lua for the ai, making it highly moddable, and have optimized the code so that it won't slow down the game"

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

This is pretty much what I've expected will happen for quite a while. A shame, and I hope Paradox does make a Cold War game at some point, but this was almost certainly for the best.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

The thread is slipping - I found out the other day that Rajahs of India is up to its fourth dev diary now with nary a word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1iAj-zal6Y

They have been discussed in the CK2 thread.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

As for the "revolt" mentioned: the OP of that thread is a frequent poster in the closure thread, and has been advocating a campaign whereby Paradox forums posters will change their avatars to the red/black rebel flag to indicate they will boycott HOI4, which will force PI to release EvW after all. :allears:

Gorgo Primus posted:

Yeah... we don't know how this got accepted as a serious entry, won, and got implemented(?) either.

Helping draft this was more fun than EvW would ever have been.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 7, 2014

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

telcontar posted:

As goofy as the straits dev diary was, I appreciate that the EvW devs actually seemed to know why straits are strategically important. In almost every Paradox game, straits work the opposite way that they do in real life. They should block passage of SHIPS, not troops.

They do this at least in HOI2/DH. Closing many of the wider straits to naval traffic would be much more difficult in the EU timeframe until later in the game due to the inadequacy of artillery.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

There was a guy on the Paradox forums who put in a pre-order for EvW through Amazon.de, and despite the fact that Amazon apparently does not take your money until it ships a product, he is arguing that this pre-order means that Paradox made a contract with him to give him the game, he is not satisfied with a refund, and will sue them for false advertising if they do not release it. He has subsequently finger-in-ears ignored everyone pointing out how insane this is and is demanding an official statement from PI on the matter.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Disco Infiva posted:

Link please?

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...45#post17038945 Here onwards
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...=1#post17040949 Paradox admin replies

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Rincewind posted:

I do appreciate what is probably one of the only representations of Worcester, Massachusetts in a video game.

It's the second largest city in New England! :negative:

I do enjoy trying to figure out how on earth Japan would manage to influence the politics or foreign policy of Turkey in the slightest.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

The 1933 scenario has Germany hilariously weak and is really poorly balanced in general, I'd recommend 1936 or 1939.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Just finished an MP game with Wiz, YF-23, Hutterson, and Viscardus, where we all played Muslim powers with the goal of conquering Europe. Some end game screenshots:

Europe

World Map

Religion Map

Players (bit out of date, also Visc was missing for the last session)

Culture mapmode

Wiz's colonial nations (Wiz is a bad person)

Trade (Sevilla had like 160 until the last year when Hutter messed with trade)

Some late game screenshots:

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 29, 2014

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Hutter posted:

All my screen-shots ended up with terrible resizing, but in my defence I A: Never named any of my colonial nations after puns, B: Had control of a whole lot more over Asia then those screen-shots showed, by protectorates and vassals. C: If Wiz hadn't vassalized Scotland, I would have kicked out all Europeans out of Africa.

For being the first game I ever completed, I am happy over how it turned out. Despite though that due to some save-game error thing, I never technically reconquered Ceuta.
You did have the colonial nations of "Jadida Benghazi" and "Jadida BENGHAZI BENGHAZI!!"

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Other things of note: the US Caliphate

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Note that none of this stops Wiz from getting mad at me for telling puns in the Skype calls for the games. :(

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

He named the province of Alabama that.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

:ssh: I named that province.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Kerensky was smuggled out of Petrograd during the October Revolution in a US diplomatic car, moved to France shortly after his initial attempt to lead a counter-revolution with forces near Petrograd failed, then moved to the US in 1940.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 16, 2014

• Locked thread