Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

ThePutty posted:

Everyone's favourite feature of HoI3 Iron Cross is now coming to EU3.

Had to adjust that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
In Darkest Hour, is the 1933 starting date more suitable than the 1936 starting date? Will WW2 still happen properly etc?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Kavak posted:

I think so. You get some more time to prepare, but you have to fight your way out of the Depression first. If you're playing as Germany, you can choose to elect the KPD and start the revolution, though it's pretty bare bones without mods.

I was thinking of playing as Russia. Hoping it's a fun experience. Also old question but is IC building ever worth it?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

YF-23 posted:

It costs 5IC to build and the buildtime is a year, it's very much worth building up to a year or so before the war starts I believe. I haven't played the '33 scenario of DH much, but when I did (before the last few patches) AI America and USSR built up IC like crazy and had something like 500 effective IC by '40 or '41.

That sounds amazingly fun, considering I plan to invade the US as Russia. I hope to make a Mechanised Russian army.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Gort posted:

IC doesn't get gearing bonuses in Darkest Hour.

Is it still worth trying in DH?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Should be doable at early 1934 given the nature of removing dissent.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Another Darkest Hour question. Does devaluing currency permanently destroy any lost IC?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Destroying the last of Franco's army in 1937, while bombing him with captured Condor Legion planes as the Spanish Internationale blares in the background, has already made this SU run amazing. :allears:

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
In Darkest Hour, in the 1936 scenario, it honestly feels like it's not worth industry building as any nation. I mean on paper it seems worthwhile but it takes 5 years for IC to pay for itself. Additionally you often have high dissent events or high starting dissent. This robs you a lot of IC anyway so you have to spend time clearing it, which wastes precious build time. Is there something I am missing or is it just better to start building/upgrading from the outset?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Honestly it feels that in the 1936 scenarios, it's just not worth IC building. Given all the dissent you have to initially clear or get later, you can't really get a stable period for construction.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Kavak posted:

Pretty much- unless you're the United States or the Soviet Union, don't bother, and even then you'll still want to focus on expanding your navy and air force.

Even the SU? Do you just build a only a few factories while you pay down the Great Purge dissent with the rest of your IC?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So in my Darkest Hour game, as the US, Germany has managed to actually destroy the USSR by the Summer of 1942. Before that, the Soviet Union launched a coup on Finland and turned it communist. Meanwhile Japan has managed to annex China and declared war on me a year earlier than historical on me. If this game wasn't hosed up enough, the Germans launched an attack through East Africa. I'm sorry but what the gently caress is wrong with this game? I've never seen the Axis do this well and It feels like I'm playing in some sort of horrifying fascist, alt history wank fiction. :psyduck:

Edit: I forgot one province Communist China declaring war on Germany in response to the attack on Norway. :china:

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Star posted:

Are you sure you're not the man in the high castle?

I hope not. Then again if it all goes to poo poo there is always ICBMs. However I have a question:

When I research 'Massive Naval Invasion' it says 'Max Amphib Size: 7' does that mean I get penalties or some other negative modifier if I have more divisions doing a naval landing?
or

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Is it just me, or is combat compared in the latest version of Darkest Hour REALLY hard compared to AoD and HoI2? Fights like, say the invasion France feel a shitton more difficult than it used to be. Combine that with the (relatively) long build times and it means you also have less units to field. Is it just still simply a case of Infantry+Armour (excluding specialized units with Tactical/CAS doing Ground Surport missions? What is the best way to deal with the AI stacking men on beaches? Also do brigades make much of a differene?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Gort posted:

If we're talking Germany 1936, here, I did a quick AAR on the Paradox Darkest Hour forums in the "Problems With Germany... Again" thread.

Infantry and tanks with CAS and TAC doing ground support is a pretty good summary of how to play Germany, with an emphasis on CAS since Germany gets superior CAS through their doctrine. You should also switch to Ground Attack air missions once the enemy is retreating.

What beaches are you assaulting? Normally some marines with an assload of air support will win, or you can do a paradrop on a nearby coastal undefended province and immediately rush over fifty divisions by transport to reinforce the paratroopers.

OK, your AAR has helped immensely in giving me some idea how to approach things. I have a few questions though. Are MOT units and later on, Mechanized units worth it? Additionally, with nations that have massive IC spikes (USA and USSR), should you pay down that IC and THEN build poo poo or should I just pay a little bit of it down as I go while building units. I never knew torpedoes had such amazing poential as well.

Nation wise I've been sort of drifting through different campaigns without finishing them. US, UK, Germany , US and USSR. I will probably continue my US game so I can play around with various ideas. Air Surport can be a tad harder when attacking Japan due to the ranges involved and the lack of proper airstrips.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Necroneocon posted:

Link? Is it a tutorial style one?

I'm sorry Hitler teaching you the game wasn't enough.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So, tutorial wise who's going to teach me how to play East vs West? McCarthy?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Is this how you win Crusader Kings 2?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Kavak posted:

What the hell did you do to the world?

Long story short, Muslims in Iberia overran most of Iberia, then France, then Germany. A few hundred years later, a large portion break off (Sicily). Soon after the Aztecs declare a holy war on the entire original Muslim nation. I, as Scandinavia called a Norse Crusade on them and took the land they took.

This game is an amazing clusterfuck because both main denominations of Christianity struggle to keep a Moral Authority over 30. France has not existed for hundreds of years and a good portion of Europe is Shia.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
The best bit about any converter to EU4 will be the broken, horrific mess peoples worlds are going to be by 1820.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
CK1 is great for nostalgia value though.

A world of beak faced men, near consequence free debt, MP crashing at around 5 years and horrible sound effects.

Edit: Oh god I forgot about how different the Council Screen looked.

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 24, 2013

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So where is this war meant to be over?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Sorry you don't get to post that without:

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

quote:

I went to Margaret Thatcher's chamber and gave her a good tumble!

I spent way too much time trying to get a similar look in the Ruler Designer :negative:

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jun 26, 2013

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Gorgo Primus posted:

It has begun!

Meet Canada's next Prime Minister:

This must be that fabled leader: Adam Hiller.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Jesus gently caress, someone earlier hit upon the best game idea ever without realising it.

Vicky2 style economy stuff.
Starting just after WW2.
Space race game.

Your Capitalists have built a Glass Factory on the Moon.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Always Prussian fanboyism. Just for once have Saxony or Bavarian nerd alt hist.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I can't wait to see who in the tutorial teaches me the game in EvW.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

The final Preorder DLC for Europa Universalis IV updated.

http://www.europauniversalis4.com/buy

It's a CK2 -> EU4 save game converter (Which we knew but seems to answer the question about whether it generates a mod or merely transfers your save game).

Also, a free copy of Crusader Kings 2!

Really smart marketing. Most people preordering EU4 probably have CK2, so they'll give it to their friends and generate good will. If they don't own it, they can play that, get ready for EU4, and continue their game.

Well, I know what I'm converting:

:getin:

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The CK2 one will of course do the same with a thread in E/N.

A CK2 E/N would have thread topics and people that would put anything on the real to shame.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So, would you guys say that EUIV looks to be a dramatic improvement over EU3 enough to get it? Like I enjoyed EU3 but it wasn't exactly amazing for me. I don't want to get EUIV and just not touch it.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

I have a serious complaint about the demo so far. Not a single instance of Falalalan.

No mismatching legged Napoleon. Game is lost cause.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

Its still leagues ahead of Victoria and especially Hearts of iron. :ssh:

Out of interest, when CK2 first came out, was it's UI as good as it is now?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Hey Paradox devs

Don't know if this has been addressed but I saw this error in the demo tutorial:

I assume it's not meant to be 'Thou'

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Speaking of Austria, beating the everloving poo poo out of Venice for it's high base tax provinces and eventual trade route is fantastic. It's even better when you use your Diplomats to get everyone around them turned against them. Is this sort of idea (annexing for valuable provinces/trade nodes) viable? With EU games, I generally understood them but never really had a clear idea of what to actually do. I guess missions help but still.

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Aug 9, 2013

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Ghetto Prince posted:

Is there any interest in setting up a page for the most batshit crazy / least broken CK2-EU4 conversions? Like we had for Mass Effect 2 saves?

Oh I hope so! :getin:

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Box wine posted:

I expect the convertor to just crash for this.

Colonization is going to be amazing

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Patter Song posted:

So were you guys aware that East vs West's time moves hourly like the other HOIs and not daily like the rest of the Paradox games? That means it's going to be literally twice as long for a 1945-1991 campaign in EVW than a 1399-1821 campaign in EU3.

More bang (from naval artillery shells) for your buck!

I'm glad we've been given a good selection of interesting and detailed leaders to tide us through those long years.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Does this mean the DA nation will have Advisor Quality and Tolerance bonuses at the cost of higher Revolt Risk (Original OCs, do not steal) and Diplomatic penalties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

Id love it if it went up to CK2's Old Gods start date. Have events representing the fall of rome and maybe this time you can stop it.

Barbarian Invasion was around the late 400s and you could try and maintain the WRE (which was a pain) and the ERE.

• Locked thread