Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I like to start with Brazil or Argentina in Victoria 2: Industrializing your nation is one of the best aspects of the game, and picking one of the South American countries lets you do that without having to wait too long (as in an uncivilized nation) and without having to worry too much about direct competition (as in a European/Great Power nation)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was under the impression you can't make an "all unciv" game of V2 because Machine Parts and Cement and other such key materials are only ever produced by factories, which means if it weren't for the UK being the single Machine Parts producer at the very start of the game, no one would ever be able to industrialize*.

* compared to V1 where certain techs granted you single-shot infusions of Machine Parts that you can then use to build factories.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Coolodile posted:

Please add this educational video to the Hearts of Iron 3 segment of the OP.

Is it bad that the first thing I thought was "I wish the game ran that fast (for the Poland and France-conquering sections)"?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is HOI3 worth playing yet? I tried playing Arsenal of Democracy but micromanaging a thousand units on two fronts with those tiny little provinces on the EU2 engine is just nuts.
If you thought AOD had too many units and too many provinces, I don't think HOI3 is ever going to be worth playing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

Master of Orion 3, for example!
I wonder if it means something that liked both that* and HOI3 :ohdear:

* This was before our household had regular internet access and I really had no idea that it was universally panned.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gorgo Primus posted:

There is a link in the "Scrap Book of Fond Memories" for the Dev Diary for MM about it; it was creepy at the time and hilarious to us now.

I still think it's amazing that Steppe Wolf of all things got released, gets regular updates and is actually improving, while Magna Mundi is the one that never saw the light of day.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DrProsek posted:

But even the free MM mod stopped getting developed a while ago and it's still not DW compatible. For all we laugh at SW, it did take a lot of effort to make. It's just that it was mostly misplaced because EUIII just can't do thinks like have migrating nomad populations or model Stalinism.

So you're saying Victoria Wolfe would be the most perfect mod ever :allears:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You can try reading up on research calculations in this HOI2 wiki article, but of course Darkest Hour has changed up the numbers, and you probably have to do some programming/spreadsheeting if you want to calculate optimal research team selections

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

The best way to industrialize is to use exported goods to create imported goods. So if you're exporting a lot of glass and grain, and your POPs are importing a lot of liquor, then you should build a distillery. You can see what goods are being exported and imported on the "activity" portion of the trade screen.
:aaaaa: I feel like someone just let me in on some huge secret. It sounds so simple and makes so much sense! I have GOT to try this.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
For HOI3 Custom Games: Go to your "...\Hearts of Iron 3\tfh\cgm\RoadToWar" folder and open up the templates.txt file. In it you'll find the number of diplomacy, research and production points you're given to work with.

Crank them up several thousand points so you can start with a nation that has zero neutrality, can join the faction of its choice, and has enough free production to start with triple digit IC and/or several dozen Corps.

Yes, the default is useful mostly for just reconfiguring your armed forces into a more standardized format, but it's easy enough to mod to be able to let you do alt-history stuff with it. Hell, I think Paradox should build on this - give it enough functionality and you've basically got yourself a graphical scenario editor. Imagine the possibilities if you could edit province ownership and province stats, then port that bad boy over to the other Clausewitz games.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

So is AHD worth it?
If you already liked Victoria 2, AHD makes it run MUCH faster by adding multi-core support and introduces a lot of really good UI improvements and some key balance changes, such as LF/Interventionist governments being able to invest into projects so you can industrialize without necessarily waiting for your Capitalist POPs to come up with the cash themselves. The new westernization/civilizing system is arguably worse though.

If you didn't like Victoria 2 for its design decisions, AHD doesn't really do anything to help or fix that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I really wish the hoi3 DLC that weren't just sprite packs worked both together and in tfh. I've been trying to switch them together myself but haven't gotten around to the hard of putting together the files that aren't different from another DLC.
Why would you get the HOI3 sprite packs in the first place? Unless you're making heavy use of automation, the game's counters already provide too little information without hiding even more by switching to sprites.

Which is probably my biggest issue with HOI3 left. I could get a fairly accurate picture of the front line in HOI2 just scrolling past the map and looking at the number of divisions allocated across provinces, but in HOI3 I end up just attacking all across the line, Soviet-style, and reacting to breakthroughs as they happen.

EDIT: I'd seriously pay for CK, Vicky and HOI2/AOD/DH all over again for a version that ran in a real window and didn't have to make you switch to 16-bit color.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 15, 2013

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Re Paradox soundtracks: I've always liked the refined class of the Victoria 2 music and the Wagnerian thrum of Hearts of Iron 2

Sampatrick posted:

Good mod, or best mod?
Good mod, yes. Best is when it gets combined with Steppe Wolfe.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 15, 2013

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Do the MM folks still even have the source code and/or the right to keep working on it? I don't get what the point of relaunching the website is, unless somehow Ubik still has people working for him for free and he thinks he can still release the game. I dunno, maybe for free?

By the by, is Kaiserreich compatible with the latest casualty-tracking DH patch? And is there a way to turn Japan into a Syndicalist country? The new LP got me thinking.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fintilgin posted:

Determine kit and loadout for each individual soldier in your entire army. Reload their guns manually during combat or assign it to an automated AI assistant.

So basically this, the PC game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fintilgin posted:

Wasn't this the game that had an optional (probably tongue in cheek) rule to account for Italians needing increased water supplies for boiling pasta?
Yes. Fuel supplies for individual trucks also had to be tracked and rationed out by the jerry-can.

The funny thing is, some of the people at Boardgamegeek made a serious attempt at playing a game, only to find that airpower is hilariously overpowered and breaks the game's balance (yet another allusion to Hearts of Iron :rimshot:)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lum_ posted:

So you had Objective: Moscow, the entire USSR (including the useless Siberian bits):

I got really excited for a second because I figured the only reason to make a wargame map of the whole of Russia would be for a Russian Civil War scenario, only to find that it's some hypothetical BS about an invasion of the USSR by a Western coalition in the 1970s. Has anyone tried to mod in the Russian Civil War? Victoria or Hearts of Iron?

Also, you might not want to leech. The image links look like they still go back to the BGG site.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gorgo Primus posted:

Why not just get WW1: Strategic Command, which has a fully dedicated well done RCW scenario/campaign?

Battlefront never does any sales, I already blew last quarter's grognard game budget on Combat Mission, and I promised myself I wouldn't buy anything until I land a new job.

I'm sorry Paradox, that includes The Republic :smith:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DrSunshine posted:

Has there been any talk hereabouts about March of the Eagles? Seems like a Napoleonic-era game focused more on warfare. I hadn't heard of it at all till I wandered past Paradox's main website on a whim today. Any opinions on this? Is it basically "Paradox's take on Napoleon: Total War"?
I'm a lot more excited about MOTE than EU4, honestly. I guess it's because I usually go Maximum Hitler no matter which Paradox game I'm playing, but also because I always felt like the non-HOI games could have used more elaborate combat systems, where you worry about leaders and supply lines and troop types and terrain (more than you already do).

CK2 already does this to a degree, although don't nearly have as much control over your troop composition.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fintilgin posted:

EDIT: Of course, I also think the Hearts of Iron franchise should have been a game covering 1901-2001 and be way less war focused, allowing for alternate WW2s and Cold Wars, etc.

Somebody should just kickstart/develop a modern Shadow President already. Superpower is more concerned about giving you a big shiny map and throwing lots of numbers around rather than actually giving you meaningful and informed choices :sigh:

EDIT: I'm looking forward to re-creating shadowpresident.gif in East vs West :getin:

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 20, 2013

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've never bought a Paradox game on Steam before, so I'd like to ask: How good is Steam with keeping the game up to date with beta patches, and how does it play with modding? I think I'd use my code myself if it guaranteed I'd never have to go into their tech support forums again. Not that there's anything wrong with their forums, but downloading and unpacking and installing the patches myself is a fair bit of effort I could do without.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Smirr posted:

Holy gently caress. It's even a button that highlights when you mouse over it but I never noticed and probably never would have. This is amazing. Thank you!
You can also right-click on the slider to "lock" it in position.

Having said that, I only really mess with the sliders for Leadership. I feel that the AI does a good enough job managing the Production sliders, even if you do unit production manually.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Pretty sure you can click the number the game is telling you the slider needs to be at to automatically set it for that number.

For DH play around with the checkboxes a bit I've found they work for nearly everything I need wrt to slider settings.
AFAIK the slider auto-management of Darkest Hour only accounts for how many Consumer Goods need to be produced to keep dissent neutral, which might still be less than what you'd need to pay for your research teams.

Anyway, the checkbox to the left of the (-) sign of the slider tells the AI whether or not it can allocate any amount of IC to that slider, period. The checkbox above the (-) sign of the slider tells the AI whether to prioritize that slider's requirements.

For the very start of the game, I only activate Consumer Goods and Supplies. The AI will fill up Supplies to the minimum, then put the rest into Consumer Goods, burning off your dissent

Later, I turn on Production and Upgrades. If it's DH-Full, I leave Reinforcements turned off until war is declared and I get mobilization, otherwise it's just wasting your peacetime amounts of manpower.

After that, it's just a matter of using the Prioritize checkboxes to juggle between Production, Upgrades and Reinforcements.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Velius posted:

What do people think is the best scenario to get into the meat of Darkest Hour to learn the vagaries of the tech tree, and nuances of combat without spending hours building infrastructure/factories? Or important things like concentration/infrastructure bonuses to IC production, a la Arsenal? I don't want to run Germany '36 again. I guess steam has the manual, so I'll start there, but I'm sure tons of it has changed since that got put out.
Previous page, but Kaiserreich is really one of the best ways to do this - the scenario is specifically engineered so that you'll almost always end up in some kind of war within a year or two. Most regions are Balkanized so that you don't have triple-digit IC monsters (without fighting for it!) and the wars are fairly localized so you don't get overwhelmed by the sheer number of troops you need to command.

The best thing is that KSR uses Darkest Hour-Full's tech tree and units and balance and whatnot, so once you're comfortable with the UI and the mechanics, you can take your learnings right into the OTL game. The only thing that KSR actually changes as far as game mechanics is putting the manpower system back to HOI2 standards, but as far as I'm concerned that's a good thing (DH-Full's manpower system isn't bad, just a little too dense and realism-over-gameplay for me).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Which EU3 mod was it that sets the base core time to several hundred years, but instead triggers core gains dynamically by event, checking several factors to reduce the MTTH?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pimpmust posted:

DinoUniversais eh? I will take that as confirmation on the next-next DLC being "Sunset Invasion II: Aztec Dinosaur Cavalry"
No no, they hired Wiz so they could make AUSTRALIAN Dinosaur Cavalry :science:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

HOI4 is going to be released as a DLC campaign for CK2, the first decision in the game is picking an education for Hitler.

The Nazi Time Machine - A Strange Story of the First Reich (CK2 AAR)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I'm having a really interesting game of Victoria: Revolutions that I don't want to end (Russia is steamrolling everything, I annexed China as the US and have a population approaching 2 billion). Is there a way to modify a save to extend the end date past 1936?

Check the Paradox forums for Ricky - someone out there has made a patcher for the exe to make games run until year 2499.

I think this should be it, and you also need to change the end date on your save game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

4) The player should be able to say "gently caress this faction poo poo we're changing government forms to something reasonable" like literally every other country on the planet is able to.

This is really only required in a situation where the Factions system is so bad that you want an opt-out option. If Factions was more like certain actions have hefty penalties instead of being completely impossible, and certain other actions had hefty bonuses, I think it'd be more comfortable to work with. As Ming, your eventual goal would be to unify into China, which removes the Factions altogether and THEN the steamrolling begins in earnest :black101:. The "opt-out" would then be if you were to play any of the smaller Chinese states, which don't have Factions, but are correspondingly much smaller. Giving Ming the opt-out right off the bat would just encourage players to always take it and play Ming like a "normal" nation instead of learning how to deal with Factions.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a big big fan of Victoria and I'd love another expansion. It's probably my second favorite franchise after HOI (including 3) and ahead of EU3 and CK.

Having said that, is there a way to directly and militarily intervene on behalf of the CSA during the ACW? I'm thinking of taking a nation like France and using it to prop up the CSA and nurturing it to the game's end.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks Dr Prosek for the CSA advice! I will have to try that next game.

Raenir Salazar posted:

One thing I've never seen used with any effectiveness though in my games has gotta be paratroopers. Expensive to train and produce, especially the planes as you more or less need 1-1 if you want to plop a large number behind enemy lines, if they die thats a huge hit in opportunity costs.
I'd say this is very realistic, if not very good-gameplay-ish. The Germans and Allies only conducted their paradrops when they knew that they had total air superiority, and the usefulness varied quite greatly. On one hand, there was the Crete operation being one dumbass British commander away from being a complete failure, while on the other you have Operation Varsity and the clearing of Eben Emael, with Market-Garden falling on the lower end of the spectrum and Normandy being an IRL example of the pre-invasion landing exploit if you squint hard enough.

Do Paratroopers even have better stats than regular infantry? (I can't rightly remember) I'm thinking the player could at least be able to find some utility in using them as elite units, the way the 101st was thrown into Bastogne by foot and truck just because they had better training and elan than other units.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Patter Song posted:

True, but dividing China into half a dozen loosely-affiliated pieces before even the First Opium War goes a bit far the other direction. How about some sort of mechanism to give special CBs to imperialist powers for releasing Chinese satellites, but leaving it starting out intact?

I would be all for this. Splitting China up into sub-states makes sense for preventing a player from just running away with the game by sphering one particular country, but it feels hamfisted for the sub-states to be pre-determined and present at game's start instead of being dynamically created as countries invade/sphere China little by little.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah!

What I pictured in my mind's eye was hitting 100 influence and clicking the Add to Sphere button would instead bring up a list of states, and you pick one and a Chinese sub-state would be created, but your idea of using foreign investments to create sub-states (sub-spheres?) sounds even better, especially since foreign investment was already one of AHD's bigger bullet point additions.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Darkrenown posted:

Yeah, that would be a neat mechanic, but it wouldn't work in V2. Sounds a bit like how Imperialism 2 did things, although it's been a long time since I played that so I could be mistaken.

As someone currently playing through the Imperialism games (released on GOG), I'd just like to say that for all the flak EU/Victoria gets for its abstracted combat, it was absolutely the correct choice in comparison to these older games.

Chief Savage Man posted:

Is HoD more of an old-style AHD/DW full expansion or more of CK2-style focused DLC?
I think only CK2 (and maybe HOI3?) use the kind of modular expansion system that it does, so Heart of Darkness will probably still be a full expansion kind of dealie.

Anyway, I'm extremely excited for Heart of Darkness. I'm especially hoping that Africa isn't a blank slate anymore especially now that Wiz is there, and especially since his brilliant colonial system was one of the last things he was working on before he joined Paradox.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
EDIT: Just to throw more love at Heart of Darkness, I think lifting the "crisis" system from Pride of Nations is a stroke of genius, especially if they can trigger dynamically rather than as scripted events. I can't wait to see the kinds of conflicts nations will be drawn into over it.

Alchenar posted:

Until I clicked on the link I genuinely believed it was a Cthulu expansion.
I think that was the intention. How many Paradox forum-goers are going to lose their poo poo over this title, even after reading what it's actually about?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

NihilCredo posted:

e: well, there's still the 15-year gap between EU3/March of the Eagles and Vicky 2
Huh? Isn't MOTE entirely within EU3's (EU4's?) timeline, just with a more focused perspective?

Pretty excited about that game too, BTW. And I know The Old Gods and The Republic are all great, I'm just not cheerleading for them because I really can't get into CK2 for the life of me.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Culture doesn't matter for Clergy's boost to literacy, you just want 4% of the pops in a state to be Clergymen to maximize literacy gain, even if they're not primary cultures.

Fintilgin posted:

I used to play the first Imperialism, back in the day. If I remember it correctly, seems like Victoria borrowed a lot of ideas from it. I could never seem to get very far though, the Congress of Nations would always show up after a decade or so and end the game prematurely. I seem to remember never being able to play more than a couple decades. Was there a way to turn that 'feature' off?
In Imperialism 1, the historical 1882 scenario is set-up so that the Council of Governors will only convene once, at the very end of the game, in 1915.

EDIT: Check out the far-right screenshot on the bottom row. If you hit Cancel, you can keep playing, sort of how Civilization does it. Not sure if this will also work for a loss, though.

In Imperialism 2, there's no such mechanic at all anymore, and victory is achieved by controlling half the Old World on or before the game's end. It's actually really cool because the New World isn't even technically required to win, but it ends up being really important anyway because of all the riches in it.

And yeah, GOG needs to pick up Merchant Prince the next chance they get.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 1, 2013

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Double-post, sorry

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DrProsek posted:

Huh, I always learned when you want a certain pop badly, lower taxes to encourage lower classes to promote faster. Keep forgetting the golden rule "Tax until they barely want to revolt". Does tax rate affect immigration at all or is there no reason to turn my nation into a peasant version of a tax haven?

I'm no expert, but AFAIK tax rates do very little as far as promotions are concerned. It's really the Admin/Education/Military sliders, plus National Foci that make a difference. Even taxing the Capitalists as little as possible has more to do with letting them save up the cash to build factroys than anything else, and if your country is already very solvent, you still want to tax the socks off your plebes so they can't afford to sip lattes and discuss Marx in their free time (unless you're like me and end up fomenting a Communist revolution every game because your personal stances keep leaking into the game).

EDIT: Has Paradox released screenshots for Heart of Darkness?

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 1, 2013

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Friend Commuter posted:

If you still can't load that page, the post's about Russia's map colour turning red if they become the Soviets.

To be clear, HOD will allow you to mod/script the map colour of a nation according to its gov't type, although Russia turning red as the Soviet Union is the only one that will supposedly come with the official package.

Come to think of it, who else could use that? I guess it'd be cool to script every nation's Communist gov't to turn red, as a kind of red-scare/domino-effect thing,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

podcat posted:

I kinda made fascist germany look like mordor as well while I was at it. as for doing it everywhere, Dark is right. I will leave that to modders to judge if they want to do or not.
Oh yeah I wasn't implying that my every-Communist-country-turns-red idea was a suggestion for an official change, just thinking out loud for modding potential. Near-black/dark-red for Nazi Germany sounds interesting as well, though.

And while we're talking about Fascism: Since support for that ideology is generated by cores of your country belonging to someone else, which makes sense for parts of Germany that was ceded to various other nations after the Treaty of Versailles, what's the historical precedent for Italy? Which Italian "cores" belonged to someone else which lead to the rise of Mussolini, in Victoria terms?

(not directed at you specifically, podcat)

• Locked thread