Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Phlegmish posted:

I hadn't seen those East vs. West screenshots before. I like the 'typewriter' style of the country names, it gives off a confidential-Cold-War-document vibe. Besides that, those graphics look really goddamn ugly for a 2013 game. Fortunately, they will almost certainly be revamped by the time the game actually comes out.

I couldn't agree more, I'm predicting a really early mod (like a week or so after release) to make the map look like the one from HoI3 with the new font because I really wouldn't be able to look at that ugly thing for more than half an hour before quitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

E:^^^^^
Welp, that'll teach me to leave the window open for so long and then forget to preview before I post :downs:

Gorgo Primus posted:

I've posted on this before, but basically their Cold War scenarios were really really bad. For example their I/P scenario had Fascist and Nazi Arabs fighting with max 10 Org. units against an Israel with 100 org. troops, in a scenario so utterly unbalanced and poorly thought out that the victory screen for both sides was the Israeli one. Their India-Pakistan War scenario had similar issues, and their Corean War scenario had the North needing to capture Jeju to win... when only China had a navy (with but one transport).

:stare: Huh... I get that they were just bonus scenarios they did for the heck of it but why bother when the scenario is basically impossible to win (didn't you say you needed humans playing each of the Arab nations and doing gamey poo poo)? I'm willing to buy that the lack of playtesting was because it was just a small bonus thing that wasn't supposed to be fully playable or something, but I still can't help but feel a bit worried that they didn't learn that part of the fun of Paradox games is you know, altering the course of history.

Other E: Also, forgot to mention, great job on the OP!

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 2, 2013

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I don't remember seeing this in any EUIV dev diary, but will there be multiple flags for each country like in V2? Like a Monarchy flag and a separate Republic flag? It seems like the transition from Monarchy to Republic will be a more significant event in EUIV than in EUIII and different flags for the same tag would make it easier to do things like have Revolutionary Scandinavia in your game if that ends up happening instead of Revolutionary France.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

podcat posted:

in HoI3 you need to prepare properly for when the germans come knocking as PhantomZero said. It is also a huge country and might be a little overwhelming the first time you play. My suggestion is usually to try italy first time you play. You get a little war against Ethiopia at the start to get used to the mechanics without worrying about others intervening and you can enter axis roughly whenever you want so you have a lot of control if you want to go slow and learn. Later your main job is going to be to close the mediterranean and not be useless in africa so the germans can do what germans do best (blitz). Then depending on how it goes against the royal navy and africa try and help out with either defending occcupied france, help out with barbarossa if its going badly or plan invasions of UK. You can get similar play with spain as well, but it is lot harder.

I'd add as a warning that if Italy is your first game, the Axis will lose WWII and that's okay. If Italy is still kicking by 1945, you did good. If you're the last Axis nation to fall, you did great. If you do somehow win WWII (which would need a landed invasion of the USA and Canada, which is nigh impossible) then you are great. You can maybe win WWII if you keep a nuclear bomb side-project going the whole game, and then nuke the USA into submission, but even getting the nukes in range of any cities of value in the USA will wreck such havoc on your navy and airforce that even if you manage to nuke them you'll probably have to pray Japan somehow manages to grab parts of California to finish them off. Your real best bet is to just accept WWII will never end officially, and just keep not-America dominated by the Axis while fighting off random Allied invasions.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

Was doing a game as The Papal State when I had a closer look at the "Declare the Kingdom of God" decision, is it me or is it kinda useless?
I mean I do own all of Italy (and some surrounding provinces for that matter), not everything is cored of course but most of it is. Now if I'd actually use that decision, I'd get cores on 6 or 7 provinces a couple of decades before they core anyway. But I wont have the hilarious excommunication wars anymore, just seems like a terrible terrible thing.

What am I missing here?

It's a good decision when crusades and excommunication are disabled, and the Papacy is rendered largely useless (mid 1600s or so?). Though I think excommunication doesn't go away in EU3+ because I remember at the end of Wiz's LP someone was still excommunicated. If that's the case, it's useless, never do it. Personally I wish the decision was a union decision that actually made you the Kingdom of God, that alone would be worth it for me, but what are ya going to do :v:.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Crameltonian posted:

Does the player get that event as Scotland? I've always thought it was one of those bullshit AI balancing events designed to keep AI Scotland alive for at least a fraction of its historical lifespan and prevent a player from crushing them within 6 months of the game starting.

Yeah the player gets that event same as the AI, and let me tell you how awesome it is to have your fresh new regiments spawn in on the island north west of the mainland, and have the English fleet blockade them and have my only chance at surviving the war stuck on an island because the RNG didn't like me :mad:.

Also I played a game as the Teutonic Order (my gimmick was to never become Prussia and stay a Theocracy forever) and Scotland managed to conquer England and form Scottish Great Britain with 0 direct intervention from me. It happens, it just needs the Scottish AI to really capitalize on England loving up and Scotland making good alliances (they had an alliance with the French as I recall).

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Defeatist Elitist posted:

Some people have explained the research points method, but I'm also fairly positive that civilized is basically just a binary in the save game. It certainly is in the actual main game files, so starting civilized is really easy.

Right after the trade = { ... } giant section in a nation's section, there should be a civilized = yes/no setting, flip it to yes and you should have a civilized nation. Personally though I get the focus of the game is the 'civilized' nations, but they're so boring I say the game gets a lot more fun when you just swap every unciv to civ in in 1880. Maybe leave the African ones because it might mess with the Scramble for Africa event in APD but if it doesn't conflict, just change every unciv to a civ and you'll be behind enough the Euopeans will still maintain the edge they had historically.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

At first I thought that you meant "Swap every nation in terms of civilization", and laughed. So Great Britain, the USA, etc. are suddenly uncivilized, while the nations of Africa and Asia are suddenly civilized! 19th Century Imperialism in reverse!

The Scramble for Europe!

No joke, if V3 had a scenario for that I would so pay $10 for it. Even if it were a bare bones thing, though I'd imagine a lot of people would much rather prefer events, decisions, maybe new nations/borders to go with it.

Gorgo Primus posted:

To make a point about how utterly unplayable uncivs were in AHD, I once tried to make a mod that made every single country an unciv... but I could never get it to work. How PI decided this system was better than the terrible one they had before is beyond me; literally all you do is watch numbers very slowly tick up.

To be :airquote:fair:airquote: you can impact how fast that number goes up, but that basically means modifying your education slider and national focus a bit every few years. Compared to how much involvement running a civ takes, uncivs are really dull. You can't even go to war because all that will do is eat up money that could be going into education, grab land so your average literacy goes down (unless you somehow take a random non-capital province from an unciv that has a high literacy) and thus your research speed goes down and plus you'd need soldiers to keep rebels in check, which is more education money down the toilet, and it takes up diplomacy points you should be using boosting relations with GPs so they don't invade your rear end. Basically, war is a complete waste of time for an unciv.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

ZearothK posted:

:toxx:

I'll have a beta public release by the end of the month.

One thing I'm adding is an event that should fire for a human player explaining the current situation and recent history for all major powers, and a regional description for the others, that should help with context.

A lot of the history of Srbja LP was actually the byproduct of bugged events/decisions added by its many many players, so I'm confident people will forgive a little bit of revisionism to make sense of it. And also some of the rougher edges (such as Bosnia being Not-Kroatia while keeping the same flag and all).

I may be wrong about this, but didn't :swoon:Srbja:swoon: end up with a unique religion for itself?

That LP was a Steppe Wolfe LP before there were Steppe Wolfe LPs :allears:.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Coolodile posted:

Please add this educational video to the Hearts of Iron 3 segment of the OP.

The greatest moment I feel of this is deciding to invade France by just charging through the Maginot Line. There's no moment of that that's not amazing, but that made it hilarious for me. It almost makes me want to try to learn to play HoI3 well, but production and manually controlling forces are still a nightmare for me :v:.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Small issue with EUIII+; christian daymios get the decision to become Jerusalem. They can't really do much with it unless they become Shogun and then conquer Judea which I doubt the AI will do but I suppose a crafty play may find a way to make use of it :v:.

DrSunshine posted:

You know, it would be really nice if Paradox ever got to the modern day, and made something more like a political / economic simulator with a lessened military aspect. So, something following where HOI4 will leave off, at the end of the Cold War. I imagine that managing a modern political state, especially if it was sort of character-based, would be pretty interesting.

Imagine trying to get your Senator elected president, with a periodic election map, making campaign promises, etc. Or how about instead of playing as a particular leader or the nation as a whole, you played as a party? So you'd have to do all sorts of CK2-like backroom dealings with political figures, lobbyists and PACs, corporations, and the like.

This here is why despite that I want to be excited for East V West, I really can't get sold on it because the devs are using the HoI3 engine.... it works well for wars but I just can't see how it will let you do much on the political front other than the espionage system of HoI3. Granted good modders can work wonders and these guys get the behind the scenes tools we don't see but unless we see dev diaries that show the focus of the game is the political stuff I'm not sure what else the player is supposed to do.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 8, 2013

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Nolanar posted:

I'm playing through EUIII for the first time (as Castille), and I have a couple questions.

Inflation: is there anything I can do about it besides having the right advisor and the national back idea? Just keeping my budget balanced lets it creep up steadily, and stops me from doing much else.

Are royal marriages just a waiting game, in the hopes that somebody will have a weak claim, our is there anything I can do about it. Not having my CK2-style murder button makes me feel a bit listless here.

I'm guessing the game will eventually give me a mission to take Aragon and become Spain, judging from the missions I've gotten so far. Is that about right?

Generally, if your inflation is lower than your neighbor's, is growing at a slower rate than your neighbor's (you can see this in the ledger), and is below 20% you're fine. Easiest way to PU Aragon is to just keep marrying and pray, sadly murdering heirs is just too unpredictable and you want to keep relations good. There will be a banner at the top of the screen that will tell you when there is a nation that has no heir and is vulnerable to a PU, so keep an eye on that. Also, keep your prestige up; if they have no heir but you have more prestige than they or anyone else married to them do, then you get your PU, so get the national idea that boosts prestige plus a rank 6 philosopher plus go to war with random nations whenever possible to get prestige bumps.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Oh. :smith:

So I can't become a colonial power as the Ming. I'm kind of disappointed! You'd have figured that with the "Divine Wind" expansion and all, they'd have given you the option to do the voyages of Zheng He and his treasure feet.

That gameplay mechanic was actually added in EUIII+, normally you just need your colonial range to extend to America and then get colonists from something (vanilla EUIII; yearly you get 1 if you're Catholic, a bunch of national ideas give you colonists, and bordering hordes gives you colonists. EUIII+; yearly you get 1 for doing the colonial decision and then that unlocks the NIs you can also take for more). I think it was to prevent things like Poland dominating North America while AI Portugal hasn't even grabbed Azores.

You'll need Naval Tech 16 I believe to do the decision without a single European province, there should still be plenty of California and some South America up for grabs by then.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Rogue0071 posted:

To be fair, Steppe Wolfe was a fan-made mod, whereas Magna Mundi was a project costing Paradox money to maintain.

But even the free MM mod stopped getting developed a while ago and it's still not DW compatible. For all we laugh at SW, it did take a lot of effort to make. It's just that it was mostly misplaced because EUIII just can't do thinks like have migrating nomad populations or model Stalinism.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

So you're saying Victoria Wolfe would be the most perfect mod ever :allears:

... yes :colbert:. I will die happy the day I can get the Christian Democratic Union elected in the Gothic Republic.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Is it that weird that the free mod stops getting developed while they (prepare to) make a game?
As I recall they stopped development long before the MM game was announced but I may be totally wrong on that. If the two coincided then never-mind that would make sense.

quote:

Besides, MM does exist for DW now, it's just a different team making it. (Thank god)

Huh, really? I may have to look at that, MM had some good ideas that I actually wonder if a good team could do more with, at the very least it'd be amusing to relive the glory of Framed! again.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Patter Song posted:

So, something about Steppe Wolfe that I can't exactly discuss in my thread, but thought that the Paradox devs might be interested in. The Steppe Wolfe mod attempts to upload a soundtrack from a completely different game and put it into the mod Music folder in an apparent attempt to get it to play during EU3. This doesn't work for some reason: the soundtrack stays the same. I noticed that this Knights of Honor game is also published by Paradox and I was wondering if it's acceptable practice to steal another game's soundtrack and try to use that in a mod. :v: (I'm assuming that the only reason this hasn't been brought to light before is that the music utterly fails to make it into the actual game)

Doesn't the mod also contain swastikas, which is a violation of one of Paradox's forum rules? Not to be a dick to him or nothing, but since we're talking about things that a forums mod might want to call his attention to, he should fix it so there are no swastikas in my game as the Jewish Third Reich :colbert:.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

James Garfield posted:

Steppe Wolfe hasn't been the same since Bulgarians stopped being immune to attrition. :colbert:

:bulgaria:

Doesn't even have bulgaria_32 anymore. Downright shameful if you ask me, you can take your formable Savoy and shove it, how can your historical simulator not simulate the nation of Bulgaria 32 :colbert:.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

run DNC posted:

Wiz, I think Toulouse should start with Occitain as an accepted culture considering 2/3 of their cores are that culture.

Shouldn't that be their primary culture? As I recall, Toulouse was kinda the cultural center for Occiantians at the time.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Vegetable posted:

France is a monster in vanilla DW as well. Short of bad luck (War with Spain and Burgundy?) they usually become a major European and colonial power.

To be fair becoming a key player in Europe and being a colonial power are historically accurate, it's grabbing half the HRE and Spain is where France started getting a bit ridiculous.

Also RE: TFH custom scenario, I think it would become way more fun if in a future patch they added the option to just press a button and instead of redistributing the nation's points. I want to play as a great power Philippines drat it :colbert:. It'd be loving awesome.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I actually really like the idea of it being possible for Napoleon to actually appear in your game even if you don't start in the Napoleonic Wars scenario. Imagine trying to keep your collapsing nation going, seeing those rising rebel chances along with those loans coming due sooner than you can afford it, and all of a sudden a revolutionary rebel army lead by Napoleon Bonaparte pops up. It'd be way more terrifying to see Napoleon pop up then just *random French guy* is revolting! Although one thing I'd also like to see; if the Protestant Reformation in your game doesn't happen in Germany, the name of your Martin Luther changes; so if it starts in Poland you get Martin Kowalski, if it's in France you get Martin De Anjou, if things go really bad you get Martin Di Roma and if things go really strange you get Martin Kasperov. Napoleon wouldn't really work because it's a really French name, but Martin seems common enough that you could at least find a local version of the name that's recognizably similar.

E: Although I do agree if you play as a France that stays an absolute monarchy and manages to brutally crush the French Revolution without making massive liberal reforms, I don't think it would make sense to gain the National Idea Liberty, Egalite & Fraternity. Then again, most likely we will see a Day 0 mod that will check if Revolutionary France ever existed and if it never did/the flag for it never activated, it is replaced with some other idea like Vive La Roi!, prestige decay decreased, bonus discipline.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 14, 2013

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

What if you, by some freak happenstance of history, were to play as Catholic China? When the reformation rolls around, would you find Martin Chang or Martin Li popping up? :colbert:

:allears: if you end up with Catholic China, things in your game have gone very strange, but more importantly they've gone really awesome. In EUIII as I recall the game already has a pool of dynasty names tied to culture and leader/monarch names tied to tag, just move all names to culture and wherever the reformation begins, take Martin or a name from the culture of the nation where the reformation is happening that is the local equivilant of the German name Martin and plug in a last name from the culture of the place where the reformation is happening.

Now I'm wondering if in EUIII+ a Catholic Celestial Empire China would qualify for forming Judea, like a Catholic Daimyo would. I don't think it's possible without cheating but drat it, the Han Kingdom of Jerusalem is too cool to not cheat for.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, I actually like the concept, it's just specific choices for ideas that I dislike. Because really, if I'm playing as a Protestant France that tries to force Protestantism on its neighbors, I don't suddenly want to get an idea that buffs tolerance of the hated Papists. In contrast, the idea that improves defensibility doesn't force another narrative on me, it's just a nice bonus if I'm at war. (And a nice way to make France even more of a monster, without making it even more dangerous on the offensive. Well, not directly at least.)

Well to be fair, it's easier to wipe out the Catholics within France when they revolt less and it doesn't really affect going to war with Catholics to force them to stop being Catholics. Unless they are keeping hidden things like the Bill of Rights idea not telling you that you also get the liberation CB, it doesn't seem like LEF will remove your ability to wage religious wars.

On the other hand, I do agree that the idea only helps if you don't have a religiously homogenous population, and if that's your end goal, once you achieve it the idea will be useless to you. Sort of a disadvantage by a lack of advantage, but still it can hurt when it's otherwise neck and neck with another superpower whose ideas are more versatile. Like if LEF was just a flat RR deduction, it would help no matter what boat France is in while heretic and heathen tolerance isn't helpful unless you have them.

E: Plus again, repressive monarchies that stop the French Revolution getting LEF is weird.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 14, 2013

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

You know what would make EU4 the best game ever? Bringing back Falalalan. That song was awesome.

Seriously; if you want to annoy all your fans but make an easy buck, put it in as a $1 DLC. I'd complain about it but I'd pick it up the day it's released :allears:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, it might help mechanically*, but it's still really weird. I can just imagine every mock-tribunal against a Catholic priest or monk ending with everyone receiving a pamphlet about how people should just be excellent to each other, and the Catholics being largely placated by that.
*Though modding tolerance to drop conversion chances was something I thought worked rather well in MMtM. It's kind of silly when the Ottomans start converting the Balkans when they specifically tried not to, as Christians paid more taxes.
Yeah being a really tolerant nation that's throwing missionaries at anything that doesn't adhere to the state's faith does sound kinda backwards, but I guess the idea is you try to be less of a dick about it so even though it's less effective, you don't resort to outright banning or penalizing religious minorities in order to pressure them to convert so they don't feel it's time to choose the king or their faith. Although making tolerance a penalty to conversion chance is a fantastic idea, Ottoman conversion machine is just wrong.

quote:

On the other hand, LEF really should be an idea that is actually about people being excellent to each other, which I don't think a flat RR reduction indicates. That would probably be better for a 'Vive le Roi' alternative royalist idea.

The way I see it is LEF affects not just the average peasant but it also affects how the government sees its relation with the peasants, so instead of a king that is offended by the notion that the people feel they deserve rights, the government is willing to provide them to expand rights where possible which makes the people less inclined to revolt against them. Maybe it'd make more sense for a stability cost reduction.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Beamed posted:

According to ubik, the MM folks currently have the rights to the EU3 engine, not just MM's source code

This revelation was brought to him, as I understand, because the contract he had with Paradox allegedly didn't specify who owns the engine. I'm going to assume Ubik is banking on a carrer as a Swedish Contract Law expert.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Playing EU3 and man I hope Paradox takes a few pointers from CK2 for warfare reasons. I thought I was ok with "No casus belli" wars but I forgot how goddamn frustrating that is. EU3 plus helps a lot with AI restraint and breaking up some of the bigger countries but he can only do so much in regards to cascading alliances and I seriously hope they work on that in EU4. I feel bad for save scumming but when mecha-Bohemia gets called in because they're a friend of a friend, I don't think it's really on me for loving that up.

Edit: On the topic of EU3 Plus. For the colonial power decision what provinces are the Northern/Southern exploration ports?

It makes fighting OPMs a nightmare because they always have at least a two province buddy, and that two province buddy will be so much stronger than his one province ally that the TPM takes control of the war, calling in God knows who, who in turn takes control and calls in someone even bigger, and basically by 1600, all wars involve France or Spain.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Cynic Jester posted:

I don't mind someone else taking over leadership of a war. I do mind it happening 5-6 times in the same war. When I declare war, it should say "Country A is allied with Countries B, C, D. If B joins the war, they will take over leadership of the war." And that's it. The buck stops there. B can call in his allies, but none of those will take over leadership and call in their allies. I should be able to tell with reasonable certainty just who I end up fighting when I declare war.

Yeah, one level of alliance cascading is fine, I just hate seeing wars go OPM->TPM->Medium Power->France. Add a second level if you declare war on a vassal because a vassal calling their master shouldn't count as the one cascade, hold off assigning new warleaders until everyone the initial nation sends a call to arms to responds so you don't get Naples grabbing up the one cascade while the UK has yet to agree to enter the war, and you're done.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Or when a great power is protecting a nation of great importance to it (Castile is protecting Navarre lets say against the French) and because the Navarre gets overrun quickly, even if Castile is doing well on another front and wants to fight on, Navarre surrenders and Castile has no ability to fight on.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

enigma74 posted:

Track their individual thirst and hunger levels!

Look, I know how you guys feel about keeping the pee breaks on automated, but if you have your soldiers stay past the bladder threshold for a few minutes, you'll notice a slight performance boost during combat!

(for the record I do like HoI3, I just find it.... overwhelming for lack of a better term)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I think APD may attempt to mod in the RCW since I see tags for Siberia, the Ural Free State, etc but hell if I've ever seen it fire off or work. Maybe Russia needs to be properly hosed and in my games they just tend to keep their distance from anything resembling a major European war so it may be possible to do it if you properly gently caress the Tsardom.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Graham Gremlin posted:

zI offered them the territory wanted, another three territories that it took them like 13 days each to occupy, releasing Milan and Genoa as sovereign states, all my money, releasing all my vassals and revoking all my cores but the tooltip still said "They would not accept this offer" (I wasn't actually going to give them that, I just kept upping the terms when I saw they were rejecting increasingly generous offers, I think it came to like 400 peace score). How dumb the AI is with peace treaties is another gripe I have with this game. My ally Tuscany invaded Mantua and I accepted their call to arms and then Mantua who had exactly one province, one unit and no allies in the war kept spamming me with peace offers that I pay them 300 ducats and release all my vassals.

Edit: After pretty much conquering me they accepted a peace treaty which consisted entirely of letting Tuscany have Romagna which belonged to my ally, the Pope :lol:

Yeah these are large weaknesses of the current EUIII AI we're hoping Paradox resolves for EUIV. First, the AI will flat refuse all peace offers until a certain point in the war. No idea what that point is but once they're winning, they kinda keep going until their rampage cools down. Wait until they send you an offer and see what you think, if it seems like a hilariously good deal take it, otherwise reject and counter offer, they should accept something now. Second, as long as the OPMs haven't really had anything happen to them, they will see they are at 100% war capacity and assume they are winning. Just keep ignoring them, the AI doesn't do things like send you an offer because of the superpowerful doomstack they have coming in so there's no need to worry that maybe that OPM knows something you don't. Last, as the warleader you handle all negotiations so you can go ahead and gut your distant allies and they can't say poo poo to stop it.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Random question of the SJRB mod; did the Aztec Empire somehow stay Pagan and take over most of North America, or did it convert to something? America looks like an amazing clusterfuck in that mod :allears:. I know religion doesn't matter in V2 but I'm curious and don't have a computer with V2 in front of me.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Can anyone write/point me to a quick primer on how positioning fleet composition in EU3 works now?

My strategy that has worked pretty well so far; make the biggest boats you can until you hit the force limit. When the colonial phase/the overseas warfare phase starts, have a transport fleet of 20 ships at least.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

ThePutty posted:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...76b9dbd5ead03b7

So the colonization horde system is making a comeback in EUIV. :suicide:

Yeah echoing what others have said; that mechanic made no sense in EUIII and it has not gotten better with age. I admit it'd be kinda hard to model how the hordes were conquered in real life, but colonization makes about as much sense as having the only way to take them over offering them vassalization and then demanding annexation.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Cycloneman posted:

Who do you plan to play as first when you get EU4? I'm going to play as the Inca and die horribly to the brutality of racist Swedes making it impossible for me to win. What about y'all?

Either A) Teutonic Order, and through the Russian Crusades, bring Catholicism to Russia. Then Convert to Russian Culture. Then found the Russian Order.

Option B is restore the Golden Horde as a successor khanate. If I can't make Golden America, EU IV will be a failure :colbert:.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

That would be a silly thing to do in a game which claims to allow you to play any country in any time period.

...Or was that line "almost" any country? :ohdear:

EV IV 1.01 Patch Notes:
-Fixed bug that accidentally made Ming playable. Ming now properly removed from the map after 1 day, replaced with permanent terra incogneta.

ThePutty posted:

I know I'd pay for it if it demolished hordes.

Hell I'd throw :10bux: at a DLC just focused on the hordes for EUIV or CK II. Hordes are awesome and I'd love the ability to start as Kazan and stay in the game long enough to settle down, become a proper monarchy and one day found Tatarstan. Plus if I can stay strong enough I might be able to prevent Russia from extending all the way to the Pacific leaving all sorts of new nations between Russia and where it ended up historically.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Which EU3 mod was it that sets the base core time to several hundred years, but instead triggers core gains dynamically by event, checking several factors to reduce the MTTH?

I believe it was Miscmods that did that, I remember seeing 300 years per core but it would never take that long unless you were conquering say Japan as France and never converted the locals.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Bloodly posted:

...I'd buy it. Seriously. Not for irony or jokes. Something completely alien and different? Something with a completely different style or system? Gladly.

Crusader Kings 2: Ancient Horrors.

I just want to echo the fact that if Paradox did another "for fun" DLC, I would preorder a Call of Cthulu one so hard. Crusader Kings 2: Romes VS Old Ones.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Also being Protestant also makes excommunication impossible. Strangely the Statute in Restraint of Appeals does not do the same thing and it is possible to be excommunicated after passing it, making it entirely pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

It allows you to pass the church taxes decision even if you're Catholic? I figure it would be something you could do if you're already on bad terms with the church.

Yeah but the tax bonus from Church Taxes is nowhere near worth the constant excommunications. I guess if you notice a series of popes all from countries that like you and have no reason to excommunicate you it can be worth it but if you do get excommunicated with Church Taxes up, it means +4 revolt risk compared to a nation that is not excommunicated with no Church Taxes. Plus unless you are a France level megablob, it's just never a good idea to risk every other Catholic nation getting a free CB on you.

E: Although once excommunications go away there's no reason to not do it. Maybe that's what makes it a good idea :blush:.

Brillo_Pad posted:

Hey guys what's going on in this thread

Someone arguing with Darkrenown about EUIII for the millionth time, apperantly.

• Locked thread