Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

quote:

I converted over Can Omer's map to EU3+ 1.01, and this is the result. There's probably a few bugs in it, but far as I can tell it's pretty good. It doesn't change the province count, just the look of the map, so the balance is all the same. It's mostly great because the Caribbean and various other islands aren't just circular blobs anymore, as well as just looking great in general. Test it out, and see how it goes.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/canomerazeri.rar

Crosspostin' this here because EU3+ hasn't been updated and this was on the second last page of the old thread. Extract it right into the EU3+ folder, and delete the map cache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Wiz posted:

FYI, there's some problems with your integration where you've missed properly integrating files or linked to missing graphics files. I've fixed them and properly integrated it into the next version.

Which files did I miss in particular? Always looking to improve my modding skills.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Wiz posted:

You missed including EU3+'s Aalborg/Lucca provinces, and in the interface folder you had files pointing to Can Omer's title screen (which wasn't included) and a bad link to the minimap that was searching inside a non-existant mod/Can Omer/.

They were both turned into a province in Iceland and Greenland, respectively, in the original map mod. I turned the second into the province of Luks, as I thought Prussia was relatively weak with only 2 provinces, and being sandwiched above Poland. Didn't know about the graphics problems though, so thanks.

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 3, 2013

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Wiz posted:

To be specific, I turned Greenland/Iceland provinces into those provinces because I felt either of them having more than one province to be silly.

I'm sure there's an Icelandic nationalist out there on the Paradox forums somewhere who'd disagree

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Couple of province bugs, Volhynia still has a Lithuanian core, and Argyn is an exclave of Qurighar, unless that's intentional. Mordvar also has a Kazani core, though it's not Kazani culture nor is it Sunni. Also, I don't really think I should get any credit, that all should probably go to yourself and CanOmer for making the original map. I didn't do much in the way of work, really.

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 4, 2013

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Adding to the core reports for EU3+, Konkan and Ahmadnagar have cores for Ahmadnagar, though they're not connected as provinces, and Raichur Doab still has a core for Deccan, though I don't know whether that's intentional or not. Namur also still has a core for Liege, and Kursk has a core for Kiev.

In a minor addition, Armagnac and Gascony have really similar colours, so maybe that should be changed too.

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jan 5, 2013

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Dunno whether you're looking for these, Wiz, but here's my current game as England in 1640, using EU3+ 1.04.

Really wish Iberia wouldn't end up as such a mess, but the best part is Japan colonizing the Siberian coast. And Brandenburg inherited Crimea.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Here's an end of game image, as Great Britain. Colonial revolts seem kind of screwy, and I saw no revolutionary events or rebels at all. Aragon also got stuck in a permanent war with it's revolters and couldn't ever peace out, in that image all of it's provinces are completely occupied by various countries. I imagine that's a vanilla issue though.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Colonial rebels were fine popping up, it was the Napoleonic revolutionaries in Europe that never came to fruition at all. They were the most likely rebel to revolt, but they never did anywhere. Weird stuff would also happen like the Christianian colonial revolt event happening, only to have the Canadian revolt event happen a few years after replacing the entire culture of what was Christianian with Canadian. You can see in that map Christiania with a few provinces and Canada with the rest as a result. The Vestland colonial revolt event also happened before any of all the other colonial revolters, but it seemingly did nothing at all to Norway's colonies.

If you need any saves from various years, I've got plenty to give out.

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 11, 2013

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

I think we all forgot about this:

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/to?iso=20130114T00&p0=239&msg=Wiz%27s+First+Day+At+Paradox

:toot:

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Everyone's favourite feature of HoI3 is now coming to EU3.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...76b9dbd5ead03b7

So the colonization horde system is making a comeback in EUIV. :suicide:

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Well, have faith in a DLC/patch. I take it they're adopting the CKII DLC policy for EUIV so we'll probably end up getting a bunch of new content revamping poo poo. Still really don't want horde mechanics back though.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

I know I'd pay for it if it demolished hordes.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Paradox Development Studio makes games, it is a separate company from Paradox Interactive, which publishes games, so no, there's no reason I should know what another company with the same publisher is up to any more than Bioware should know about Maxis' games because they're both published by EA. I think you may have outed yourself as someone with no idea what they're talking about.

Yeah, I should just agree with everything people say here. It gets a bit tricky when you disagree with each other though, who should I side with then?

You do come off as kind of aggressive, though. Guess you can chalk that down to Poe's Law, and all.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Proposition Joe posted:

I haven't played March of the Eagles but it seems like poop so I'm not going to buy it.

CONTROVERSY.

Darkrenown comin'.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Wiz posted:

For what it's worth: I'm working on HoD and it's gonna be pretty great.

(Yes, I've sold out)

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Paradox Grand Strategy: Ottomans in Oregon, blame Wiz.

(seriously though I hope it's as great as you say)

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Wiz posted:

That screenshot is from BEFORE the Crisis AI was written. I wrote it, so I'd know.

Please tell me you're also writing improvements to the war-goal system. I really don't wanna see Ottoman Brittany ever again.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

The only real reservations I have about EU4 right now are how they're going to handle nomads (since hordes and tribal invasions are dumb'r'n hell) and how many nations are going to have those special national ideas. That reeks of MotE and my fear is that, like, eight nations are going to get them and give clear advantages. It'd be like forcing Lucky Nations on and make playing anything but those nations a far lesser experience.

Get Wiz to code the entire CB and peace offer AI, resulting in eternal pretty borders.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Restoring the Roman Empire as the Ottomans is overrated.

Close enough.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Welp, Johan is probably smacking his head on a desk over and over again over what's probably going to be Magna Mundi v2 :suicide:

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Kavak posted:

Ubik's still living in a basement (Or does he have a house and just put all his computer poo poo down there?), so it doesn't appear to have been embezzlement. Game budgets are mostly just equipment and personnel, right? Where the hell could it have gone?

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 5, 2013

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Nero was less insane than Ubik at this point.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Still holding out that snake Bohemia/Poland/Lithuania won't happen in EU4. Maybe Wiz will work his magic on the AI.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

I downloaded this demo just so I could have a copy of Magna Mundi World Stage, before it inevitably is purged off the face of the planet by Paradox. The interesting thing is, he's basically included the assets of the entire game, that of which may be transferable to EU3. Considering it uses the HTTT engine (I think), I'm wondering if anything can be salvaged from this mess. I'm sure there's gotta be a few things of use that could be slapped onto EU3, namely the map. Surprisingly, he's only added in just over 100 new provinces in total.

I started it up, and dear god does it look bad. This is the loading screen from the beginning of the game, which is reminiscent of an early 90s roguelike.

It's a bad thing when the country select screen looks better than the actual game.

Loaded up as France in 1799, and I'm instantly bombarded with a million popups. I have no idea. (On closer inspection, this is the national ideas for EVERY COUNTRY IN THE GAME).

Eurasia. Apparently most of West Africa didn't exist at this point

Americas.

Asia. Apparently Australia isn't discovered yet

It should also be noted that there's an incredible lag whilst moving the camera. It lags for about 2 seconds before actually moving to where you want it to go, except rapidly. So it'll overshoot where you want to look and stop somewhere way off, meaning you've gotta go back in the opposite direction, lagging once again for 2 seconds and overshooting. It's very annoying. Other cool features of 1799 is the inability to field regiments more than 5 thousand large, for ~some reason~. I have no idea what I'm doing or what anything is, and the interface is really, really bad. Also, I'm pretty sure the tutorial is just "WELCOME TO MAGNA MUNDI WORLD STAGE" and that's it. Seems to run sort of okay.

It does actually recognize you're playing past the tutorial date, so it boots you out.

FAKEEDIT:

Started another game from the tutorial date. It might be hard to see (because look at it holy poo poo), but England has been sitting there and refusing to move their troops at all. It's taken about 5 minutes to get through 3 months, namely because it keeps pausing at every single pop up, and I have no idea how to stop this. Like stated previously in this thread, it runs really, really slowly. If I had bought this for 20 dollars or more I probably would have thrown up at the thought of spending that much on this. Yet it gets worse, when changing your message settings, you have to restart the game for them to take effect. :geno:

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 5, 2013

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

It really clear to me why it was cancelled now. It's not that Paradox wouldn't release it because it's buggy. It's that Paradox couldn't physically release it, because it's a total disaster. They would have been a complete laughing stock if they released this game as it is, with Ubik marching around claiming it's in a released state. At least HoI3 was possible to understand, imagine someone completely new to Clausewitz engine games coming into Magna Mundi. It would have been absolutely terrible.

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 5, 2013

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Most of what EU3 simulates isn't really representative of the real reality of the situations, anyway. It's effectively a virtual Risk, especially excellent in the fun department.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

To be honest that Dakota thing comes off as really corny but it's your mod v:confused:v

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Any news on the pretty borders front? Should I be ashamed to say that's what I care about most?

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Ray and Shirley posted:

Any place that can be colonized ends up looking like a patchwork. States's will colonize, then release a dominion, colonize, then release a dominion, and so on. Example: Instead of colonizing all of "New Zealand" and releasing a unified New Zealand dominion, GB will release its initial NZ colony as a dominion, then colonize the other open areas of New Zealand, then release them as dominions and so on. Consequently, you'll have three little New Zealand dominions where a full New Zealand dominion should exist.

What about back in Europe/America? Any wackiness going on there?

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Is there any way at all I can set a CB to take border provinces instead of states? I want to make uncivs be able to expand their borders, without places like Bukhara taking half of Afghanistan.

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 18, 2013

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

So HoD is pretty sweet. However, I feel like there's still two underlying issues with Vic2 that haven't really been changed; the AI and the status quo in nations. The AI is pretty self explanatory with dominions and nonsensical annexations (ie Spanish Hedjaz), hopefully that's fine tuned or whatever. The other issue is really, the lack of progress in the game. The new colonial/crisis systems is a big step in the right direction, but I feel like nations are kind of static, lacking in some of the historical basis that could manipulate events set in motion at the start of the game. Not through determinism, just a bit more of a push to get things in motion. Good example may be the USCA never collapsing, I'd like to be able to enable it or prevent it from happening and see what the AI does about it through each game. Another might be the Egyptian-Ottoman war and the interventions within it, instead it remains static and unchanging, besides Ankara occasionally swapping over.

Events like the first might be more interesting with a bit more flavour than anything, events and other things taking advantage of the pop system through militancy and other stuff. The second could probably use the crisis system, but instead on a regional scale. I'd love some sort of CB that instead of acquiring a single state, seeks to acquire every state you've got a core on. The Ottomans could declare war to take back what's theirs, and the Europeans could initiate a crisis to intervene on whatever side. Maybe the crisis system could be extended to include ongoing wars and intervention in them? This sort of CB would also allow the USA to take the entirely of the Mexican cession, instead of one or two states at a time. On the sake of pretty borders, I'd still love to see the acquire core CB only take what's actually your cores, instead of entire states. It really doesn't make sense for a nation to annex an entire state when they've only got a single province in it with a core.

Obligatory :goonsay:

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Patter Song posted:

I see at least El Salvador breaking away every game, and in my current one Nicaragua did as well.

Also Cuba broke off from Spain all on its own...good job, Rebels! I'm so fond of the much tougher HOD rebels and how they're not the pushovers rebels were in AHD.

I see Nicaragua break off occasionally, but the USCA remains pretty static on it's own despite anything breaking off it. That's the issue I've got, really. All or nothing, perhaps.

Kavak posted:

Not to interrupt Heart of Darkness chat, but EvW Dev Diary 6 has arrived, with a focus on land units. I'm starting to wonder if we're actually going to see anything on non-combat related aspects of the game.

Also five of the six starting points are wars so yeah it's gonna suck :suicide:

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

If it's worth anything, CK2 is the best game ever and doesn't suffer from any of this, so here's hoping for Victoria 3

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Welp, better get your hats in

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

So I'm working (:clegg:) on some sort of Greek city state themed Not-Europe map for CK2, and I'm wondering if anybody versed in geography can give me suggestions on landmarks, mountains, swamps, lakes and such things like that. I'd also like to know if the map makes sense geographically, I want it relatively realistic.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/draft.bmp

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 23, 2013

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What's the scale of the map? You call it Greek city state themed, but also Not-Europe map, so I'm not entirely sure whether it's Greece scale or Europe scale. From how your draft looks, I would guess something like Sicily to Western Turkey in terms of scale. Do you have PM's? Would be easier to make suggestions without clogging up the thread with fake geography chat if you do. Also, what do you mean by landmarks here?

It's the exact same dimensions as the default map, it's basically just a poorly drawn Mediterranean. With landmarks, I was thinking of important places like Constantinople. The kind of thing I'm going for is something like the Greek city states in Not Greece (center), with a scatter of powerful kingdoms in far away places such as the southern continent (not africa). I'm kind of toying with the idea in my head of a constant 'might is right' subjugation CB for nations, simulating massive empires and subsequent falls. A real rise-and-fall-of empire simulator more than anything, without having any sort of historical basis so you don't have to worry about Turks showing up in Scandinavia. The idea of playing for 500 years and being able to go back and look at every nation and every culture that's ever inhabited your little chunk of land over the years tickles my fancy.

Also here's the scale

And a basic culture map/regions. The names are not permanent

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 23, 2013

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Am I to assume you not answering the PM question means you don't have it?

Yeah, I'm a shitler who hasn't payed another :10bux:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Sounds cool, basically a "fantasy" version of the Roman conquest of the Mediterranean?

The :spergin: idea in my brain is something like 10 - 20 years after an Alexander type leader died, his empire collapsing and falling into total war amongst his children. The idea is that you're placed into a world that's a bit like Wiz's divided world scenario, but with more kingdoms and in a poorly drawn Mediterranean. Thanks for the advice by the way, I'll try and conjure up something and post it in the (probably distant) future.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Phonics posted:

Since its been a while since it was released: Is HoD worth getting? Any gamebreaking issues?

To be honest, it's not as if it changes the fundamental concept of Victoria 2. If you don't necessarily enjoy the game, HoD isn't really going to make a huge difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

I still want Paradox to make that human migration game set during/after the fall of Rome.

• Locked thread