Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I hadn't seen those East vs. West screenshots before. I like the 'typewriter' style of the country names, it gives off a confidential-Cold-War-document vibe. Besides that, those graphics look really goddamn ugly for a 2013 game. Fortunately, they will almost certainly be revamped by the time the game actually comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

You know what the best part about war in EU3 is? It's being constantly spammed with peace deals from lovely landlocked OPMs, demanding that I give them all my money and release all my vassals and cancel all my alliances. I sure hope war and peace are a lot different in EU4!

It's even better when it happens while you're laying siege to their only province with a huge army. Hmm yes, that certainly seems like a reasonable peace deal given the circumstances. I think they're hoping that you'll misclick.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kersch posted:

AI Castille has done pretty well for itself

Yes, but only slightly better than real-life Castille.

I was hoping for a moment that Great Britain was in control of the Falklands, but unfortunately it's probably Aragon.

Fintilgin posted:

I hate it when it's obvious the EUIII AI has hit some code thing that makes it refuse to make peace under any circumstances. Like you hold one French core and they attack, and you make a peace offer that gives them the core, a dozen other provinces, releases all your vassals, makes every nation internal to you independent, and hands them 10,000 ducats, worth hundreds and hundreds of war score and they still refuse. Then you beat the poo poo out of their army and they're begging for white peace six months later. Way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, AI.

I think the AI always refuses peace in the first few months (years?) of war, unless you're already crushing them. At least the AI got better at amphibious invasions and having an actual navy when the game was upgraded to Divine Wind, I remember wars often dragging on forever in HTTT.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 5, 2013

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I think alt-history is fun when there is at least a semi-plausible reason for why things are the way they are. That's why the Shattered Europe scenario for MiscMods in EUIII is entertaining; yes, it would require a rather unlikely series of mishaps and disasters to have occurred to the European states, but it was theoretically possible. Even the Dark Continent scenario, which is completely unrealistic, at least tries to justify itself and is still highly playable.

However, simply switching civs and uncivs in Victoria II sounds like it would get pretty boring as soon as the novelty factor wears off.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ThePutty posted:

Everyone's favourite feature of HoI3 is now coming to EU3.

I wonder what the mod creator's signature means. It's so...enigmatic. I'm banking on it involving nationalism.

quote:

I want realize Korea Territory

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What? Won't crash upon loading? Truly a next gen experience.

It sounds very promising:

quote:

The only way to found out your limits is to cross the boundaries of your own mind! Who said Rome can't wait until the Age of Renaissance or that China should be dominated by Manchu instead of Khan Dynasty?! Phoenix game would gave you the power of ruler, challenged with the survival of his (her) state, internal and political problems.

I've been looking for a game to give me the power of ruler.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

Calling dibs on 'helper'.

The helper is mostly there to give him back rubs and to feed him grapes.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So what you guys are saying so far is that March of the Eagles is good and has an accessible interface on release? If it's true, Paradox has really matured over the years, I have to hand it to them.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

Finally had a chance to boot MotE. Not clear on how victory works. So, for example, as France I need to take Barcelona to get sea dominance. Spain is part of my coalition, though, so shouldn't it count as controlled by my faction? Do I really have to kick them out of the coalition and invade them (despite the fact they joined the war on my side) in order to win? That's kinda weird and counter intuitive.

France has no friends, only interests.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's...actually a surprisingly cool-looking world for a mod that you'd expect to be completely broken.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Gort posted:

Maybe they should hire a proofreader at some point. All their games seem riddled with spelling and grammar errors and it just looks unprofessional.

I'm sure they're going to have someone proofread it eventually. Crusader Kings II was actually fairly polished in that regard.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

As an actual live Yank, I always wonder what they do with those weird courtyards in the middle of the blocks. They seemed to hemmed in/shadowed to be nice place to relax, you can't get at them to park cars, you haven't stuck a McDonalds there, so... ???

EDIT: Plus it's weird, because it seems like half the windows are like looking into other peoples houses from 20 feet away.

Have you never been to a European city? If anything, Stockholm appears to have an uncharacteristically regular and orderly layout. Probably because the Scandinavians have always had a lot of room to spare.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zerf posted:

To be fair, I believe that part of Stockholm is actually fairly new; compare these city plans with eachother: 1750 and 1866. I think more than one house might've been changed...

Now these are just city plans, so that might not have been what the city looked like, but the 1866 version is sort of similar to what we see today. Now compare the planning to the island you see in the north of each picture. That one... is not so planned.

Here's my city in the year of our Lord 2013:

But yes, it's true that a lot of major cities have been almost completely overhauled since the early 19th century.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It looks like a deformed Mussolini spawned there. I'm not sure what this means in gameplay terms.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

My only problem with this is that artificially strengthening Europe technologically, as a way to make sure it can dominate in Asia, would likely result in ignoring the mechanisms by which Europe did end up dominating.

I always felt like it would have made sense for EUIII to make a clear distinction between the Naval/Military techs on one side and the Government/Production/Trade techs on the other side. Superior military technology, in the purely material sense, is something that should spread fairly quickly across different culture groups because there are no real barriers to its adoption other than time and space. That's why the Taliban has always used RPG's and AK-47's even though these weapons were designed by their former enemies, the godless Russians.

As for the more 'cultural' techs, I think EUIII's culture groups were actually a fairly good way to model those. Cultural development and philosophical innovations were and are much more path-dependent than purely technological progress. The Scientific Revolution and the Enlightenment were dependent on revolutionary attitudes and ways of thinking that remained mostly limited to Western Europe for a very long time; even today they're anything but universal. This is because cultural change is always diffuse and ideologically loaded and not something that can simply be imposed or adopted.

I think it makes sense for Europe to have an ever-increasing cultural lead throughout the game (the scientific method or gradually more efficient modes of organization, for instance), but their military superiority should come about at a slower rate, for the simple reason that non-Europeans have always been quick to adopt useful technological innovations coming from Europeans. It's too easy in EUIII for a European power to conquer half of Asia by 1600. Historically speaking, Europe didn't become truly, crushingly hegemonic (in the physical, military sense) until the early 19th century. For example, the last European slaves in the Maghreb were only freed in 1816.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Yeah, I don't quite get the doomsaying just yet. "They made a dumb joke and they have questionable priorities about what their DDs should focus on" is really the worst we can say about them so far. I mean, if that's enough for you to not want it, that's fine, but it's a long way from being Magna Mundi.

Yeah, I haven't religiously been following the development diaries, but has there even been that much information released about the game so far? There have been a couple of warning signs, but the 'absolute poo poo would not buy 0/10' reactions seem like the usual goon hyperbole.

Vegetable posted:

"Economical income from our ingenious economical system" who taught this champ how to write English? That whole post is a loving embarrassment.

It's not that bad. Except maybe for this one:

quote:

Experience time ticks the same way as male gamers where time ticks away at the same rate as for anyone else without delay

I get what they're trying to say, but still...what?

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 2, 2013

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sheriff posted:

I can't believe this is a real post. The person doesn't write English at a level you find appropriate so the entire team is bad at their job? For a thread that just got up in arms about a joke satirizing attitudes towards women in the timeframe this game takes place, the suddenly claimed correlation between English and competency is shocking. I think everyone should step away from the ledge when it comes to East vs. West. I understand being skeptical because of the dev diaries, but to say its completely off your radar now, after seeing a small fraction of the game, is just overreacting.

He's saying that the developers' failed attempt at satire revealed a certain lack of self-awareness, and that this could indicate that they don't know their own limits. It's a bit of a stretch, but he's not saying that you need to speak perfect English in order to develop a good game. In fact, I think A Buttery Pastry is Danish himself.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 2, 2013

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Drone posted:

Because the game doesn't simulate the rich history of Ethiopia or something. While I didn't deny Paradox has its strange quirks, it's pretty much impossible to make a postmodern historical game and have it be fun or successful.

Yeah, even if Paradox games are naively Eurocentric in many ways, I still wouldn't want to see a tumblr version of EUIII. 'Colonization successful! Also you are a horrible white imperialist oppressor who should literally die.'

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

quote:

The foreign minister, when asked for the reasons war had been declared stated the need to 'Austria acquires Tirol'.

I'm glad there are still some Paradoxisms to be found here and there, it was just getting depressing after they had actually started proofreading with CKII.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's odd, because allies with military access will usually help you out if you have rebels in a province that borders them.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm going to need a direct link to the stream channel, how did I not know about this? :stare:

Yeah, there's going be a stream? I want in on this. I've spent the last week watching streams of Larian developers playing through Divinity: Original Sin, and it was surprisingly entertaining, connection problems and all.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

V for Vegas posted:

Must be a bug that is telling you exactly how much gold it will cost. It should say 'Some gold'.

This decision may or may not cost an undetermined amount of gold to implement. It could possibly affect your relationship with one or more states.

It's so realistic you forget you're playing a game.

Edit: post is from two weeks ago and also I'm not in the Steppewolfe thread. I just wanted to make a joke :saddowns:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I hate memes so much (except for the cool, totally ironic ones in the meme thread). Just look at 'Culturally Oblivious Girl' or whatever that meme is. Yes, how could she not have known that Darkest Hour refers to a modded version of a niche grand strategy game, what a vapid slut.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kersch posted:

Arrange for a trained medicus to attend to him.

At this point in the development cycle they may not have the 25 ducats to spare.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because Europeans won, so they must make that predetermined. Even if its ultimately a sandbox that is no where near how things went. They must get this one thing right, for reasons.

The seeds of Europe's eventual dominance were already being sown in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, with the Scientific Revolution. It didn't randomly come about as the result of a wacky coincidence in the early nineteenth century or something. I know it's fashionable to call out Eurocentrism nowadays, but there is such a thing as going too far in the other direction.

That said, one thing I can agree with is that Europe's military dominance is massively overstated in EUIII. The Ottoman Empire was a serious threat to Europe until the late eighteenth century, and it wasn't until 1816 that an Anglo-Dutch fleet managed to put an official stop to the Christian slave trade in North Africa. In many cases, Europeans also had a lot of trouble physically subjugating the indigenous populations of the areas they had colonized. For example, a native revolt broke out in Yucatán as late as 1847, and it was only put down in 1901. EUIII is really bad at modeling all of the logistical problems that Europeans had in maintaining their colonial empires.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Patter Song posted:

Yeah, the late 18th century was filled with European intellectuals trying to portray China as a utopia, especially among the philosophers who had just received the most basic taste of Confucian thought and thought that the whole system was "rule by scholars" and went "hell yeah" about it. Those philosopher's mid-19th century successors found their predecessors' Sinophilia to be very embarrassing...Alexis de Tocqueville was particularly big on mocking Voltaire etc.'s fondness for China.

I recently bought de Tocqueville's De la démocratie en Amérique. Can't wait to get started on it.

Patter Song posted:

Voltaire was in general fond of using cultures he knew next to nothing about as a thinly-veiled platform for mocking ones closer to home: he wrote scathing things about Muhammad and Islam that were intended as thinly-veiled criticisms of Christianity, for example.

Right, the thing you have to understand about Voltaire is that he didn't care that much about actual places or actual history, and he often even got basic facts wrong. He was interested in making a point. He makes references to 'Oriental' cultures quite a lot, but in many cases they were meant as allegories for or comparisons to European states, people or habits, and not as things that truly existed of their own accord. I'd be surprised if he had more than a shallow understanding of Chinese society.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 31, 2013

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

EUIII.jpg.

It's actually impressive if he did that without cheating.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It surprises me a little that the Wikipedia article for EUIV is still so bare-bones at this point.

fuf posted:

It's around 1500 and I have a big chunk of West Africa, but I'm using up all my manpower just crushing revolts. What's the best way to stabilise the area? And what's the best way to increase manpower? All my plans are delayed for years while I wait for my armies to reinforce.

Is it a good idea to try and stake a claim in North America as early as possible, or focus on Africa for now?

Click on a province and hover over 'Revolt risk'. It's probably still high in those provinces due to the Nationalism modifier, which is something that recently conquered provinces get. This will gradually decrease to zero over time. Their revolt risk is also increased if they are a different religion (that you have low tolerance for). Additionally, overall revolt risk is affected by Stability and various events/decisions.

West Africa really isn't that good of an area to colonize because it's tropical and you get a penalty to your tax income due to I looked it up and it appears that they removed a lot of the financial penalties for tropical provines in Divine Wind. Still better to focus on the Americas, though, it has better trade goods and more high-tax provinces.

If you're having manpower problems and you're not at war, you're probably doing something wrong. Click on individual provinces and look at the Supply Limit. Make sure your army size isn't bigger than that, or you will suffer from attrition. That's actually another downside to tropical provinces: it will add 5 to your army size when it determines if you're exceeding the Supply Limit (i.e. the actual Supply Limit in tropical provinces is the stated Supply Limit-5).

quote:

Should I set up a Centre of Trade in London?

If you can afford it, sure. However, you will get a lot of inflation if you mint too much for too long, so watch out.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What makes the 'extreme edition' so extreme?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I admit that's fairly extreme, but I think I'll still wait and see what the thread has to say in two months. Pre-ordering a Paradox game is...risky. Not as risky as it used to be, but still.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Doing well in that scenario as Scotland owes a lot to random chance. If you're lucky, the mainland European powers will all be different religions and you can colonize the high-tax provinces of the Low Countries at leisure. In my playthrough however, Skandistan, Al-Alemand and Magyaristan were all Sunni and formed a mega-alliance against me. :argh:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ExtraNoise posted:

(It was done before, but not "right" - it seemed too heavy Canadian focused, plus...)

I love this. The first cracks in Cascadian unity?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You can't talk about something like that without including screenshots. :colbert:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Patter Song posted:

By the way, my computer's currently undergoing repairs, but a certain man with a Mitch Lawrence-in-wizard's-garb avatar gifted me a copy of Iron Cross on condition that I LP it. Next week when my computer's back on its feet I...may...hold up my end of the bargain.

Do it do it do it

I want to see this if only for the flavor text. How many times will courage push the bravery?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You can buy the Combined Syndicates, but not the AUS? Why? I don't even really understand why the AUS is supposed to be so ahistorical, other than the fact that they don't really play up their regional identity. From what I understand, there was a lot of sympathy for corporatist/populist policies in the South during the Great Depression, which is part of the reason that the Democrats continued to be popular there. The chain of events that leads to the civil war is obviously unrealistic, but I don't really see why you are singling out the AUS. I'm probably missing something obvious.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tulip posted:

I see no reason why a communist state couldn't be massively, massively hypocritical. "Freedom for all oppressed peoples of the world...except Croats, they are subhuman scum only fit for mining and must be managed directly by the state."

Exactly. And considering the fact that the people who were sent to labor camps had often been convicted of 'crimes' they never committed or that were political in nature, you could easily argue that that's technically a form of slavery. Though I guess it's true that it's a specific type of slavery that is of a different nature than, say, slavery in 19th-century Brazil.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Has there ever been a communist regime that didn't repeal everyone's suffrage? The only example I can think of is Allende's vaguely marxist government.

efb

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Same thing happened to me, it was really weird. Turns out it's just boring old Europe.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Still doesn't make sense, because the Swedish nobility would probably be more French than Swedish. Put them in Paris, and they would be 100% French within the year. :france:

You're right. French culture was enormously prestigious in this period of time, and there is no way that the Swedish nobility wouldn't have started assimilating almost immediately - particularly if they had settled in Paris, which was the cultural center of Europe. In fact, much of the European aristocracy used French on a daily basis, even in countries that were nowhere near France.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pakled posted:

Was French really set to become Europe's most prestigious culture as of 1444? I always thought of the primacy of French culture coming just a bit later, during the game's time span, but not before, so historical developments could very well change the way people looked at French culture.

It's true that the height of French cultural dominance was in the eighteenth century, but that was the culmination of a gradual process that had been going on since the time of Charlemagne. For one thing, people tend to underestimate just how populous France was compared to the other European nations. If it had grown at the same rate as England since the sixteenth century, it would have had a population of more than 150 million today.

Of course, as you've said, maybe history followed a different course in that particular game.

• Locked thread