Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Gorgo Primus posted:

Why are you guys trying to get Steppe Wolfe in trouble? Has it not given you many hours of joy? Has it not proven that the key to fun games is not more provinces, but rather many more tags?

Shame on you all! :colbert:

Steppe Wolfe hasn't been the same since Bulgarians stopped being immune to attrition. :colbert:

:bulgaria:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Why not just skip the formalities and mod CK2 to add a "Kingdom of the Balkans" with de jure claims on everything from Cyprus to Trieste? Set all the cultures to just Balkan (in the culture group with Polish, obviously), make everything Catholic except Shia in Turkey, make all the nobles Italian and Roma.

For EU3/4, just do a mod where Europe and the Middle East are glossed over like the rest of the world in vanilla, but Asia, Africa and the Americas get detailed historical events and each nation has accurately modeled political systems. Model dozens of individual daimyo with the HRE mechanic, replace the HRE with Austria, Bavaria, Lombardy, Burgundy and a renamed shogunate.

All HOI needs is a mod that switches division names around so the Desert Rats are fighting in Burma and the 101st and 82nd are marine divisions.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Changing warscore could probably stop OPMs from surrendering when their capital is occupied with an allied 20k stack sieging it.
But didn't one of the EU3 expansions mostly fix cascading alliances, like the war leader only switches once?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Jon Joe posted:

I've never played UE3 before, is Steppe Wolfe actually fun or is it like watching a trainwreck?
Why not both? :v:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Orv posted:

I like the casual assumption that as a Pagan you'll naturally be reuniting the Roman Empire without a second though. Oh Paradox forums, do you ever think of anything but ye olde Byzantium? :allears:

I see no problem with playing as some Komi guy with the ultimate goal of reuniting Rome. I just don't understand why you would want to restore Roman paganism as a Komi emperor when you could instead turn the Mediterranean Suomenusko.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Is there anything like Kersch's EU3 and CK2 LPs for Victoria II? I have no idea what I'm doing.

Mans posted:

This might be a dumb question but is there any fun in playing as an Asian state in EU3? The farthest i've played with was Persia, does the game still maintain any resemblance of fun after that or is it just "Gobble up a few neighbors, wait for the inevitable white conquest"?

Indian states are fun, and if you do your expansion right you're as rich as anyone in Europe, although westernizing is still a pain. Vijayanagar isn't that different from a European nation.

Cityinthesea posted:

Also paradox fans (at least on the official forums) are largely, actually pretty sexist so yup, especially when you bring up enatic succession in CK2.

I really don't understand why they hate anything that isn't agnatic so much. The Paradox forums even get angry about absolute cognatic succession, when it was historically used during CK2's time period. And disabling a new succession law would be as easy as typing two words into a text file.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Playing Kaiserreich as democratic Japan and creating an actual co-prosperity sphere is fun :kimchi:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

dublish posted:

I too enjoy taking every country I play to maximum Free Market.

The upgrade penalty for central planning is too painful :negative:

Also open society is wonderful, I built carriers instead of garrisons as Japan and still conquered basically all of Asia with no revolts.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 8, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Top Hats Monthly posted:

:qq: I agree man, I agree

Jesus, people are pissed replying to that Dev Diary.

In HoI2 all but what, two sliders have one objective best position, how can anyone possibly think that's better than laws? paradox plaza

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Europe and West Africa east to Afghanistan, Near East and Central Asia to India, China and its surroundings?

I wish there were paradox-like games set in ancient and medieval China, it's overlooked like none other.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

I've seen this repeated a lot, but I still think it has to have been something more than a string of extremely unlikely coincidences. Didn't they inflict much more casualties on the Soviets than the other way around, for example?

That in particular has more to do with the situation than anything else. The most common casualty figures include prisoners executed by Germany, among other things. Not to mention that after the early successes Germany was on the defensive for years.

edit: obviously there were other factors, but if you want to compare casualties the western front 1944-45 looks pretty bad for the Nazis when you consist that they were defending.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 23, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Is there documentation for Darkest Hour AI files? I want my Kaiserreich allies to build more than just infantry.

DStecks posted:

I remember reading (something linked in this thread, I'm pretty sure) that it was pretty late in the war before German industry was totally committed to total war. Which is pretty loving hilarious, since you'd think the advantage of autocracy is the entirety of a country's potential united under a single will, but the democratic USA did a much better job of directing all effort towards the war.

The thing about Germany never committing to total war is partly a myth pushed by Albert Speer to make himself look better post war - Wages of Destruction is definitely worth a read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Kavak posted:

From what I've seen of them, build priorities are set pretty plainly in the AI files as a percentage of all construction. Navigate down to "military = {" and drop infantry down to something reasonable.

What about nations without AI files?

• Locked thread