Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
I thought AoD used the HOI2 map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
Oh Gort and Darkrenown, never stop. :allears:

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

You can't end this great tradition! I mean you two have done this what, once a fortnight for the last year or so?

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
Knights of honour was an incredible game. I am so sad that no one else has tried to follow in their footsteps and meld EU with TW gameplay.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
PDM is for vicky you know right? Whereas that sounds like eu3 you're talking about.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

Please for the love of everything tell me that the pink in Mexico isn't Cornwall. PLEASE.

Nah, Cornwall is a bright flurescent pink. Shame :(

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

Mr. Showtime posted:

Speaking of Darkest Hour + Kaiserreich, has anyone else had problems registering the game so that you can download the beta patch? I bought it from the Paradox web store a few days ago; Steam has no option to view my CD key and the Steam key mailed to me in my receipt doesn't work on the Paradox forums. I've put in a ticket, but while I'm waiting for a response I thought I'd ask if anyone else has had this problem and in exactly which way I'm missing something blindingly obvious.

There used to be a line about deleting the last digit or so of some of the key formats to make it fit in the box properly. I don't know if that's still a thing or if it's your problem but it's probably worth double checking you didn't miss any instructions like that.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
That's bizarre. Have you tried running the game? Maybe verify the intergrity of the game cache? Also if you check under DLC for DH you should see "Darkest Hour - Forum registration key" (although it's not viewable from the DLC menu). If you don't then that's probably the problem and it would seem like a fault a Steam's end, not PI.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
Thats already in DH and it doenst really help though, as said you just take an undefended non beach with paratroopers then instantly land troops there. What should be done is add a load/unload time to ships dependent on the size of the port, so you only have to defend major ports + beaches, rather like in real life. Of course, if they can manage to fix the supply system for HOI4 you won't be able to stage a major invasion through a minor port/beachead anyway due to lack of supplies.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
Well I'm sure they'll get to it eventualy, but I dont think they said anything about it yet, officialy or otherwise. I'd be suprised if their next "main" title after EU4 isn't HOI4 though.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thanks Dr Prosek for the CSA advice! I will have to try that next game.

I'd say this is very realistic, if not very good-gameplay-ish. The Germans and Allies only conducted their paradrops when they knew that they had total air superiority, and the usefulness varied quite greatly. On one hand, there was the Crete operation being one dumbass British commander away from being a complete failure, while on the other you have Operation Varsity and the clearing of Eben Emael, with Market-Garden falling on the lower end of the spectrum and Normandy being an IRL example of the pre-invasion landing exploit if you squint hard enough.

Do Paratroopers even have better stats than regular infantry? (I can't rightly remember) I'm thinking the player could at least be able to find some utility in using them as elite units, the way the 101st was thrown into Bastogne by foot and truck just because they had better training and elan than other units.

Varies from game to game but they ussualy have more soft attack and morale but less hard attack. Still no where near worth using as ground troops in an IC effciency sense though,but thats true for just about everything except bog standard infantry and a handfull of tanks. I really wish brigades were more ballanced to provide a viable IC heavy manpower light army for nations like Germany or Britian, as it is everyone is best off just spamming bog standard infantry, hell Germany is even better off not upgrading their infantry because of their central planning slider. If the USSR wants to take that approach that should be fine but it really sucks that its true for every nation.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
They should rename Steppe Wolfe Unreal Europa.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

Gorgo Primus posted:

Everyones told me that Rome is unplayability unstable this patch, but aside from 7 or so random crashes over the course of the game it seemed to play fine for me. I think this was my first real full length game of EU: Rome too.

Not shown, is that I passed full gender equality. :smug:

All that and you didnt even retake the homeland?

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
It's probably best to get some sort of clue what you are doing in vanilla, yes.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

Cowcatcher posted:

How would you handle breaking up of tribes? Some of the Slavs move south, a bunch of Magyars gets in between them and the rest of the family up north, and a century later they're a separate culture.

E: Bonus points if you rename ones White/Red/Black/etc

You could make it so you need directly continous territory to maintain your vassals. If someone splits your land in half then one chuck will be broken off and form its own new nation/culture.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

quote:

This leads to mayhem and mirth. France begins the game with land dominance and Napoleon’s Grand Armee poised to assault England, but because of its position of power, le petit caporal’s country is unlikely to win many friends. But, hey, England is the dominant naval power, needing only to grab Gibraltar and a few coastal territories to entrench its rule of the waves, so perhaps it’s best to let the two bleed each other dry.

Wait, Britain doesn't start with Gibraltar?

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

Riso posted:

They spent up to 40% of GDP on their loving military to keep up with the USA while completely mismanaging the civilian sector. There's absolutely no way to avoid collapse.

Well you could try not spending 40% of GDP on the military for starters. The USSR had the resources to "win" the cold war, they just didn't use them right.

Riso posted:

You might as well ask what the point of WW2 games is where the Germans are doomed to fail.

Except Germany is anything but doomed to fail in HOI.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...=1#post14980467

The worst thing Johan has ever said. :negative:

Can't breathe.

Well to be fair english is presumably not his first language, I assume he means degrade.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's funny because all of Paradox's games are technically turn based.

Are you seriously taking offense to the word denigrate? It's never been used in racial context before and it isn't racial in origin, and I've never heard of anyone else ever taking offense to the word before.

Wait, why would denigrate imply rascism? Or is it just because everyone knows Paradox are white supremacist Swedes?

I thought he was just annoyed becasue Johan was using complicated words without knowing what they mean.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

Sindai posted:

Yeah, that's the big weakness to the EU3 and CK2 combat systems. There's a lot going on under the hood and some fairly clever and complex systems being run, but the game is really bad at showing the player what's happening and there's no way for the player to influence it even if they knew.

Looks like EU4 won't be improving on that aspect of it much, although I do like the strategic-level changes.

But manpower and preserving manpower is now more important it seems so maybe that would now be a signifigant diference.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
The problem is that empires in paradox games really only collapse due to external factors, which is pretty much the opposite of how most empires failed in real life. Some were forcibly dismantled but the majority rotted from the inside for anything from 50 to 500 years before disintegrating.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
So I was out of the paradox loop for the launch of MotE, judging by the fact the OP isnt even updated with info on it I assume it was another sengoku?

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
MotE is 50% off on GG today, if any of you can still bring yourselves to give business to those low down double dealing hogswindlers.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
Jesus christ how did that german entry win anything but a nazi apologist 2013 award?

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
I wonder how many day one mod packs there will be to give Bulgaria the NIs it so richly deserves and that were cruely robed from it by the filthy racists at PI.

Rudi Starnberg fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 31, 2013

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
Sadly I dont think HOI2 really has the capability to give a scenario like that what it deserves, and the politics system from HOI3 would gently caress it up even more probably. Maybe HOI4 will have an updated but actualy good political system and it would be possible, we can dream at least.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

Puella Magissima posted:

All the bonuses from your government type are scaled up a bit(can't remember how much) and you get some prestige. It also lowers your legitimacy a bunch for some reason.

It's been a while but from what I remember it is one of the only ways to increase the "level" of your goverment, which you need to not get horrible overextension penalties as you grow. SO it is a very important thing to do, but there's not much point expanding just to get the next title, it goes more the other way around.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
It might not be 100% obvious in the begining but once you understand the trick to it (add up all the modifiers, apply total modifier as a % to the base) its as quick and easy a system as any. Certainly a big step up on the EU3 system with trade value vs production value.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

Walliard posted:

I feel like it should, since the DLC doesn't strictly add mechanical content, it just affects which nations are playable and which events trigger.

If it doesn't work, you'd be better off buying the converter on GG after it's released (which should be tomorrow), rather than all the other DLC on Steam.

Worst case scenario I'm sure you could find a friendly goon with CK2 on the same platform as you and who has all the DLCs to run the converter for you.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

I'm surprised nobody's pointed out that at no point does the USSR slice become anywhere near the size of the British one.

If you are going to nitpick it theres not really much point, its full of glaring inconsistencies. Its still cool though.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

Daeren posted:

Aragon is full of a bunch of backstabbing, claim-jumping pricks.

When you're recovering from an unexpectedly disastrous war effort with a net gain of one rebellious province, your stability suddenly drops to -2, you get a 0/0/0 ruler, and you still have no navy, it's probably best to just restart.

This is what the improve diplomatic realtions task is for, you acess it under the "realtions" tab of the diplo menu and it send one of your diplomats off to the country in question. He gets you a unilateral improvment of their opinion of you for as long as you leave him there or untill it hits +200, in which case he comes home automaticaly.

E: Also dont you dare badmouth Aragon, salmon is the colour to be.

Rudi Starnberg fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 14, 2013

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

Dibujante posted:

Don't you need +190 to vassalize to begin with? How do you do that? Is that basically a way of forcing you to win some wars with your junior allies in order to vassalize them?

To diplo vasalies you pretty much need the shared enemy bonus ontop of being allied, maried and the same religion, which as others have said makes perfect sense. It shouldn't be easy for you to vassalies another country, and they are only going to agree to it to get the protection against another power that they fear.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Highlanders just came down from the mountains to help me annex London. Thanks guys! Maybe it should check if it's a defensive war or if England is winning before handing a free stack out.

Most highlanders I know would be delighted to sack London...

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Well the flavor text kinda implied they were coming forth to defend against the English menace, which at the moment only controlled London.

I shipped them off to fight Spain.

Yes I know what you meant, I just thought it was kind of funny. That event is needed to keep scotland independent for anything like an historic length of time, but they can't seem to get it quite right. It seems to end up too much one way or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
Not really, no. It's not completely terrible, but it really isn't anything like its full potential.

• Locked thread