Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Its nice seeing them start to focus on non-European nations more. Hopefully it isn't like in EU3 where my Pacific Japanese empire can be easily conquered by a small German nation from across the globe. Its also amusing to see nationalists whine that their very own special snowflake nation isn't getting attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

An easy way to flesh them out to some degree would be to just make culture group/region ideas first, just to make it so there are no completely generic states left.

Yeah, creating decisions and events that model different scenarios for Burgundy is probably going to be the first major thing I attempt in EU4 modding, because it's just full of possibilities. It can survive and become a kingdom within the HRE, possibly curbing French growth to the east, it has a chance of inheriting France, which would cause all sorts of pantsshitting in its neighbors, or it can be split between the emperor and France like in history.

I imagine mods now where it's basically the same ideas, just with a demonym in front and doubled bonuses. Russian Optimism: Monthly War Exhaustion -0.1, Italian Bookkeeping: Interest per annum -2.00.

Bulgar Supremacy -100% Attrition

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
It would be great if there was a rare event that reveals your ruler has OCD and gives a "pretty borders" cassus belli against a neighboring province.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

elf help book posted:

All the de jure stuff in CK2 is an entire game of trying to make more perfect maps.

Just don't select the direct vassals button for too long or your head might explode.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
What's happening with everyone's Portugal games is they are accepting the call to arms from England in the French war for Calais. England then gets its rear end kicked because it has no chance against France and in the peace deals gives away your Morrocan Provinces to Morroco. I think. Somebody might want to see if it happens with the "allies negotiate for you " box unchecked.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Ragg posted:

As far as I can tell that's correct. New World trade's endpoint is Antwerpen.

However, if you were to get a significant amount of power in the Seville trade node, you could steer it there. There's also a new world route that goes through the gold coast/Timbuktu and into Europe.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
One thing I don't get about trade in my current Ottoman game is that there are about 10 different minor countries with about 1% trade power each even though I own every province in the Constantinople trade zone and they have no light ships patrolling in the area. How do they have any power in the trade node? This is pretty problematic because they are all pushing trade away from Constantinople.

Edit: Im a dumb, they all have a merchant there providing a small amount of trade power.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Vaos posted:

With their Unique National Idea that gives +33% Religious Unity, you can stop converting at some point as is it isn't that necessary when you reach 100%. No tax bonuses for other religions however.

they also get an NI that gives them enough tolerance to heathans to push them to 0. Making it not really necessary to convert every province.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Mr. Peepers posted:

There is a bit of a trade off, sort of. If you stay at low piety you get some bonuses (I think higher tax income might be one) at the cost of slower religious conversions and some other penalties.

On the whole I agree that it feels like religious and cultural conversions happen really loving fast. I'm glad you can see definite progress being made compared to straight up waiting for MTTH events to fire in EU3, but still.

There are no penalties to being pious or not pious, only bonuses that are mutually exclusive. If you are not pious you get -10% research costs, 25% more tax income, and 25% more manpower . Pious you gain +3 missionary strength, +1.00 morale to army, and +50.00% fort defense.

Being not Pious really helps with not falling behind tech-wise.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
When will Paradox finally make Crusader Universalis 5: Hearts of Victoria, so I can :spergin: out and remake history in its entirety?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Vassals automatically join any war you are in. You cant call them to arms because they don't have the option of saying no.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

what is this...abomination?

no, not this

Look a little closer

Egads! This horrible misrepresentation of the Glorious Great Old Bulgarian Empire shall not go unpunished.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Nero is a guitar hero crossover. You use the power of fiddle-based rock to scorch Europe.

Armstrong is a comet destruction game. You play a space station out in the ort cloud. A large wave of comets is approaching the solar system. If they get through, all hell will break loose on Earth. It is up to you and a few other intrepid astronauts to stop certain apocalypse.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
The discipline bonuses for Mordor are pretty OP, but you get so much AE from taking provinces that by midgame everybody else is in a coalition against you and they keep spamming assassinations against me and once Sauron dies its game over.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
If paradox is making a space game with politics and espionage and space ships and space empires I could get cancer tomorrow and still die happy.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Since when is WWII known for its pretty borders? In Space you can arbitrarily make the prettiest borders you want.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
HOI 4: The greatest WWII-themed screensaver in history

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I'm still bitter we didn't get a space 4X

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
The main problem gameplay wise isn't that the rest of the world lags behind in tech. It's that the rest of the world stands no chance militarily against the Europeans. Past a certain date, GB can just brute force conquer India and most European country can singlehandedly destroy every north American nation combined from across the ocean.

I think making mil tech differences not matter so much and balancing units between tech groups would go a long way to making the rest of the world more competitive. As it is right now, 10k westerners can beat 100k native americans. Numbers, terrain, and generals should be more important than tech.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

That's kind of intended though. The point is historically Europeans did wipe out many other cultures singlehandedly (and this would continue up until the Victoria era and some might argue is still happening, just in a different way).

Yes, the Europeans wiped out other cultures. No, they did not do it singlehandedly or by brute force. Both the Aztecs and Inca fell due to civil war and other native enemies. India was slowly conquered by the British who played the rajas against each other. The Iroquois league broke up in 1779 from internal problems due to the American Revolution. There were still Independent Indians east of the Mississippi by the end of the game's timeframe. Africa was not appreciabley colonized until Vicky's timeframe.

Hell, The British were defeated at the hands of the Zulu, and they were using more advanced weaponry than is even in EU.

Edit: There is a tipping point where, yes, the Europeans could and did just run over other countries. However, as it is right now Europeans can sail to America in 1492 and completely demolish every native there. The problem is the "tipping point" happens soon after the game starts rather than being the result of a couple hundred years of successful colonization/imperialism

unwantedplatypus fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 10, 2014

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Give it a good tumble

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Farecoal posted:

Paradox games mods on Nexus :getin:

Finally, the superiority of the Serbian penis can now be accurately represented.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Paradox please grant me a decision to remove the gold fringe on my flags in court to reduce revolt risk. Oh, and the ability to play as Hitler after he moves to Argentina.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
It might also not be majority Islamic if they take over India.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Gort posted:

Just use water? I can't remember the last time I used soap.

goon.txt

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Enjoy posted:

How do you guys vocalise HoI anyway, I say hoey.

eytch oh aye

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

If I were to go on Paradox Plaza right now, how likely would it be that I would see a thread complaining that HoI4 doesn't have swastikas?

CKII has swastikas, they should be satisfied with that.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Rejected Fate posted:

drat it Paradox, if you know you can dash your fans hope by teasing Rome 2 then surely that hints that you can also make actual money off it by actually making it.

I feel like Rome 2 is something they will get around to making eventually, maybe after HOI IV or Vicky 3.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Once again Paradox proves how out of touch it is with the player base as they insist on terrain map mode.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
"Sir, the enemy planet has surrendered without a fight, should we proceed and activate the tectonic disruptors?"

-No, spare the populace. We have no qualms with the common people
-Let's not forget! Fill the cargo holds with slaves first!
- Give it a good tumble

In all seriousness, both paradox simant and a space 4x appeal to me.

(What I really want is Vicky in space)

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Paradox stop playing with my heart and do a spacegame

"The natives spotted a comet. Blaming the new settlements for the bad omen, they have begun attacking our colonists!"

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
There's no inherent problem with having alien races, its just that most developers make them completely uninteresting and one-dimensional. In any given space game you have the industrious hivemind, the aggressive warrior race, the peaceful researchers, and the merchants. And, you know what, it wouldn't even be a problem that people always follow these tropes if they actually loving fleshed them out or gave them any personality or hell, made them truly alien rather than just cardboard caricatures of humanity.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Honestly I would absolutely adore a cold war-esque in solar system space game myself.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
People are unironically judging the quality of parts of the game based on a few screenshots are you loving kidding me.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Koramei posted:

it's funny how you can judge stuff like the aesthetics of something when you have pictures of it

Just like you can judge a painting by seeing a fragment of it?

Here's an idea. Wait until you get to see all the different races before judging the "alien race aesthetic"?

Normally you'd have a point but all we have are a handful of pictures.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
One thing that caught my eye is that new factions will pop up as the game progresses, which could be very interesting. Also I hope to God they don't make us do tedious planetary management bullshir outside of like our first three colonies.

Honestly though, a space game with diplomacy and POPs makes me so very happy.

wait, remember the hint "7 and 3 are important numbers?" 7 races but 3 of what? Research paths?

Edit: I hope paradox makes cool events "The great khan of the hyper advanced aztech extra-galactic empire has arrived on the galactic rim!"

unwantedplatypus fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 7, 2015

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, that's what I figured too. Like, your scientists might set off some self-destruct sequence/anti-matter explosion while investigating the wreck of some alien vessel, which utterly destroys it, but that doesn't mean they might not find another one of the same model somewhere else.

"Our scientists have suffered a severe setback while researching Translate English, we fear the technology has been lost to us."

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

BillBear posted:

What are the chances we'll get to worship the demons from the warp and attempt to purposely unleash them into the map? I want to be Chaos so bad. :smith:

"You tear a hole into the warp and out comes, to your surprise, a new planet. There appears to be masses of raw warp energy constantly being spewed onto the planar at certain broken warp gates But this isn't any ordinary planet nooo, its a strange world indeed although not quite unlike Earth. There are humanoids, tall pointy-eared ones, green-skinned warlike ones, cunning rat-like ones and many more. Why indeed there are tons of orruks and aelfs here and, yes, soldiers strapped head to toe in gleaming gold armor and..."

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Groogy posted:

Your capitalists solved String theory clearly

Pack it up communailures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Gas this thread

• Locked thread