Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
I'm also really excited for news about EU4. I really loved EU2 and EU3, both were good for years of entertainment. The new trade mechanisms sound promising as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Alchenar posted:

Did anyone else find it amusing that when the Paradox Devs post on their own forum it just looks like a goon forum invasion now?

It's beautiful and frankly, about time.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

For those of you in this thread who somehow still don't have Europa Universalis, 3, Gamefly, for whatever reason, is giving away EU3 Chronicles for free. http://www.gamefly.com/Download-Europa-Universalis-III-Chronicles/5000728/ (If the link doesn't work, just search for the game there.)

Note that it doesn't redeem on Steam, but like all of Paradox's games, it's still DRM free.

I already own two copies of this game, but this is awesome, thanks for sharing!

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

So I'm getting a persistent crash to desktop after installing HoD at the "Creating Rivers" screen. I've deleted my map cache folder and the crash persists. I've uninstalled and reinstalled and same issue (including deleting the map/cache folder). I don't know where to pull an error message from that would illuminate the issue. My error log has lots of issues with provinces and three missing flags but I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Can someone spoon feed me here? I've not had a problem like this before.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

Beamed posted:

Check your game directory as well as the documents/map/cache folder, sometimes both caches exist which make the game crash.

I wish that Paradox would add what Firaxis did and let you hold down shift or something when it's booting to clear the cache automatically before it generates a new one.

Yup, it looks like I didn't delete the Map cache in the My Documents folder. That's super confusing that there are two!

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

Apoffys posted:

Part of the reason why the only real strategy in V2 is to conquer lots of land directly is the great power system. I've completely stopped bothering to puppet anyone, and I don't bother sphering anyone large; because if you play a large nation and consistently smack the other great powers around, your spherelings/puppets eventually become independent great powers. Even loving Switzerland became a great power once when I had them puppeted. Of course, after a year or so they lose their great power status, but the damage is already done because they're now independent and neutral towards you.

One change they really need to make in V3 is to ditch the "there has to be 8 great powers at all times" thing, because there just aren't always 8 nations worth calling great.

A sliding scale for scores where a nation has to be within 15% of the highest scoring nation to be Great Power?

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

I tried to play HOI2 last night because I really liked the interface, the tech tree, and the troop movement. I opened it and immediately regretted everything. Flickering screen, 2D map, nostalgia shattered. :smith: HOI2 - you're still my favorite HOI but I can't play you any more.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I like the 2D map a lot better than their early stabs at 3D maps, EU3 is really ugly. I still think EU1 looks great, very slick and clean looking map. Dunno about the flickering though, that's weird.

EU1 was my first Paradox game. I had no idea what I was doing, and I picked the Fantasia start. :X

The thing that was frustrating about the map wasn't so specifically that it was 2D but that I couldn't zoom with the mouse wheel and just found it to be a little archaic. I've been spoiled by EU4 and Ck2.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

So I'm getting a weirdly persistent CTD in HOI3, where can I find the error log?

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

Gaj posted:

I have had that crash since the begining. Basically every 6 months ingame I usually get a random CTD, more so if the USSR decides it needs to win and outproduce germany in infantry counters.

Does it matter if I change any other settings? I can't figure this out.

Also: I've been a paradox forums user for a really long time and when I tried to log in recently, everything is different - instead of asking for my old forums name, it wants my email? I did a "reset password" attempt and I got an error message. Do I need to start a new account or can I merge them somehow?

GO FUCK YOURSELF fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 16, 2015

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

Does anyone know where HOI3 is pulling its data from now? I've added some static modifiers to the file in the common folder and they're not affecting my game at all, which is frustrating. Podcat's hotfix ended up preventing me from getting all of those CTDs , so I appreciate that. But I was hoping to scratch my WW2 itch with HOI3 and this is just a little annoying.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

If you're running Their Finest Hour, all the data from that is in a "tfh" subfolder inside the HOI 3 folder.

You are a beautiful genius and I am very grateful to you.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

I'm playing an HOI3 game right now as the USA where I've been building up diligently since '36. Everything is more or less on track by late '41 - I've begun the Lend-Lease program, I've expanded the undeclared war, I'm hitting all of my production targets to be ready for Pearl Harbor. Then, Japan doesn't attack me or the Philippines. At all. So now it's early '42, the Germans are all Barbarossa and it's going very well (I watched the Russians barely beat the Germans back from the gates of Moscow and things are still very tenuous for Russia). No one will declare on me, so I'm still hamstrung. The UK has taken Ethiopia and Sardinia but Italy owns Egypt and Iraq. I'm desperate to join the war (6 years of build up with no war yet) so I console in the noneutrality cheat and join the Allies. I'm sure I've wrecked some event chains doing that but it's pretty annoying to be blue balled like that.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

Bort Bortles posted:

You probably got too powerful so they did not want to hit your hornet's nest.

That makes sense but it's so annoying.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

We already had to have the Japan AI rate the USA's strength at a third of the real value to make them attack at all :negative:

Do they use IC or military score or some weighted average of the two or something else? I'm just curious.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Please update us further on the what the final solution to the Japanese question ends up being.

Whoa, you can just drop a bomb like that and leave. You should drop a second one to make your point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

Does anyone know what the factors that are that Japan weighs for invading the Philippines? I never got that to fire possibly because my buildup was so aggressive. I sort of expected that by denying them resources constantly, I'd at least get some kind of antagonism modifier that would make them more irate.

• Locked thread