Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
Viki 2 AHD question:

So Ive played Eu3 and Crusader Kings a ton and was able to pick things up pretty easily, but this game seems to have a much steeper learning curve.

I just started playing this game as the Netherlands, conquered Belgium at the start and established protectorates over Atejh, Johore and Brunei. At this point I would be completely content to build up my industry and colonies the East Indies, but since the start of the game France and Great Britain have been taking turns attacking me every 5 years. I was able to hold off the British for a war or 3 without making any concessions, and I was able to do the same with France (only because I was allied with Prussia and they came to my aid) but I've been in a state of constant defensive warfare for about 15 to 20 years my attrition is close to 100% and my militancy is a perfect 10 (because I've been refusing peace so often) resulting in Belgian, Flemish, and Jacobin rebellions that I have to put down like clockwork.

My question is how do I keep Great Britain and France from tag teaming me? I'm afraid Im not too familiar with the diplomacy in this game. Is it as simple as raising relations with them whenever possible? Or do they have set goals like the French acquiring Dutch Guyana and the English freeing/controlling Belgium? Why am I the only Western European Nation that seems to draw their ire? Does my high BB (its in the teens from establishing my protectorates, but well below the limit) play into this?

Speaking of militancy, will passing social reforms cut back on this? I don't see any reforms that cut back on Jacobinism or lessen nationalist sentiment. Is there any reason not to pass a reform as soon as it can get through the legislature (except for ones that will cost me money to perform) or am I better served to wait until over 50% of my pop wants it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Gilg posted:

Newbie question, but starting as France in EU3, what is the preferred way of uniting France? Diplo-annexing your vassals one at a time over decades? Or mixing in re-conquests? In my game I just started, I cancelled vassalisation and annexed one, but apparently my prestige is too low to do that process again.

I haven't played this game in a while, is this something new? I dont remember prestige affecting my ability to declare wars or release vassals....

• Locked thread