Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
What all this means, of course, is that the Post Office is the best thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Nolanar posted:

Other topic: I just bought EUIII Chronicles at the tail end of the steam sale, so I'm looking to get into that. I like to play as my ancestors, but that might be difficult given that they're Scotland (doomed), Wales (not even a country probably), and Milan. Is Milan viable for a first-time player, having only played CKII before this?

Scotland can roll right over England at the start of the grand campaign with a little luck, due to an event that gives them 12 regiments in the Highlands province and some modifiers they get when they are at war with England. Milan is somewhat hard as a new player because Austria usually gets a mission to conquer a couple of your provinces. If you want to play as Wales you can start as England, release them as a vassal and cancel the vassalization before saving and loading up as them again, but that would be a pretty hard game for a new player. I think Castille is the preferred choice for a new player wanting to learn the game.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Hey, Wiz, I'm playing you EU3Plus mod as Al-Andalus and absolutely loving it. England is having some problems with their revolutionary wars, though. It's 1545 now and the Welsh revolutionary war has been goin on since 1509, and the Briton revolutionary war since 1518. The English holdings in France are occupied by Brittany and the rest is occupied by a combination of Wales and English peasants, while OPM Protestand Wales is occupied by protestant zealots. It doesn't look like this is gonna end any time soon, but I guess this may be a native problem. When I changed tag to England to fix this, though, I noticed that England had a potential decisions that I didn't, the dissolution act which would be a great help in my game just now. Checking the files it seems that decision is limited to the Western and Eastern technology group, and since I'm modernized Muslim(105% tech speed :smug:) I'll never be able get it. I deleted those lines in the file, so it's not a problem, but I just wondered if that was WAD. I also wondered if that >100% tech speed is to compensate for the neighbor bonus that the western tech group gets?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

run DNC posted:

I've played a whole bunch of games and every one has had a really big Poland. My most recent one was notable for them occupying the entirity of Italy for 15 years while also at war with HRE Austria and Russia, to the point that Mantua now controls all of Lombardia.

On that topic, here's the state of the world in 1624 in my Al-Andalus game:

AI restrictions off for the first 100 years, then 100 on, and then turned off again.
Poland has the largest army and economy out of the AI states.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Wiz posted:

Out of curiousity, why have you left the central/south american natives alone? You're missing out on a lot of gold.

Well, I didn't want to have any non-contiguous territory in the new world, and I just recently colonized up to them. I did conquer the northernmost tribe in S-A and the new goldmines were amazing, but I decided to take out Italy before I cleaned up the rest since I just got a good tech lead on them, and I went from 0 levels of overextension to level 4 from the new Italian territory. I got that down to 2 levels by researching Gov tech 28 and switching to Absolute monarchy, but then my 8 admin king died and the new king has 3 admin, so I got another level of overextension. Now I just want to get rid of that again before I conquer anymore, and besides, beating up the native Americans is way less fun than taking over Europe.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Friend Commuter posted:

At least attack them and take all their money in the peace deal. They get ridiculously rich, because they have all that gold and nothing to buy because of their awful tech levels.

I could only take about 250 from them for 100 war score, and that's just not enough for me to bother with it.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Wiz posted:

Not quite true in EU3+ because the new world natives start with 'New World Gold' which is a regular tradegood that gets switched to regular Gold if they are conquered or modernize.

Also Nightblade: Town Halls and City Halls are the answer to your overextension woes.

Already got Town Halls in every European and 5 SA provinces :)
I'm saving up money for when I hit Gov 29, so I can build the Cathedrals, and then later City Halls. I also just got another level of overextension without conquering any more, presumably because I moved towards Free Subjects.

I took Friend Commuter's advice and tried to take the natives gold in a war, but when I've occupied them completely 25 gold is worth 250 war score, even though they have over 100 gold, so that didn't really work out. :(

Edit: I think Cathedral and City Hall are switched in the build order, since Cathedral has twice the build time and requires higher gov tech than City Hall. Playing 1. 3.

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 9, 2013

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Yeah, I don't think you're meant to have that many/strong vassals in EU3+. In vanilla I've only seen them break away if you exceed your infamy limit by a considerable amount, but in EU3+ they compare their combined power to your power and start getting unruly when they become stronger than you.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Tomn posted:

You know, come to think of it, I kinda want to see a video game made by North Koreans. Just to see what it's like.

http://www.pyongyangracer.co/index.html
:tipshat:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I think lvl 18's free shooters are also quite a big jump, and the lvl 28 Gustavian infantry comes with a big offensive fire improvement just when the fire modifier reaches 1, so that can really melt opposing armies with lower land tech.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Pakled posted:

The worst sound is that awful horn from CK1 that's like twice as loud as any other sound in the game other than the "x has declared war on us." If you've ever played it, you know which one I'm talking about.

Before CK2 came out I would often get the urge to play CK1 while waiting for CK2 to come out, but just the memory of that sound would extinguish the urge immediately.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Friend Commuter posted:

Steam keeps up to date with regular patches, but you still have to install beta patches the old-fashioned way (y'know, because they're still under development and not ready for general release and all that). Mods work fine, although launching EU3 from Steam launches the base game rather than the launcher, so you'll have to launch the launcher separately if you want to play a mod. Everything else I've tried (DH, Vic2, CK2) launches the launcher when launched from Steam, though.

And like all(?) paradox games on steam it doesn't have any DRM, so you can just make a copy of it and place it wherever you want and not have to deal with steam if you don't want to.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Farecoal posted:

What clusterfuck? (The CK2 thread is gigantic :ohdear:)

I think it came to steam a couple of days later than it was supposed to, unless you got lucky and bought a steam key from another retailer before they ran out. I don't know how steam managed to gently caress that up. I got one of those early keys and played it on steam the day it was released, but a lot of other people got quite angry, especially those who bought a key from gmg after they stopped giving them out and didn't get any reply from them.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Cycloneman posted:

Who do you plan to play as first when you get EU4? I'm going to play as the Inca and die horribly to the brutality of racist Swedes making it impossible for me to win. What about y'all?

Beat back the scourge of Christendom as the glorious ByzantiumEastern Roman Empire, of course. :hist101:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Patter Song posted:

It strikes me that Saxony has the potential to be an interesting country in EU4. It starts out leading a PU with Thuringia and it owns Meissen, the OPM to its northeast. If it inherits Thuringia, it's well on its way to becoming a major player in the HRE.

Does anyone know of any more interesting differences between the starting year of EU4 vs EU3 besides the obvious like the emergence of Kazan and Crimea from the Golden Horde, and the improved position of Venice and Burgundy?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Jakse posted:

Just making sure, are we talking about start dates because when the Dev Diary mentions 1444 that is the new start date? Just making sure I'm not completely stupid (probably a bad assumption).

Yeah, that is the new start date.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Gort posted:

Okay, so I'll bite. If the factions system was so terrible, how do you stop a vast country like Ming from just exploding across all of the world?

Paradox could force an always-online-DRM and recruit a small army of players educated in Chinese history to control Ming over the internet.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Farecoal posted:

Just try to get as much clergy as possible. Otherwise I don't think there' much you can do. If you're falling behind on research you can always do "debug researchpoints" for faster research.

I remember hearing 4% clergy in every state is the optimal.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I wish you could set a default mapmode, so that I'd never have to look at a terrain map again.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Fister Roboto posted:

So here's the Ottoroman Empire after about a hundred years:

The North African Coast and Hedjaz were all inherited through PUs, so they're all cored. Probably going to take over the rest of Arabia, the south into Swahili lands for the ivory provinces, and then push further up into Italy. From that point it's all Imperial territory, and Austria is still giving me a tough fight even after modernizing. Comedy option: Ottoman North America.

Cheesy tip: Get a border with an imperial OPM and rack up some infamy. When your infamy gets high enough every neighbouring nation with a CB will attack you. This, of course, includes all those Christian OPMs you border who will declare holy war on you, while dragging in just one or two allies. Since they are the aggressor the war leader won't change even if they are allied to Austria, Bohemia and Burgundy, so you just have to occupy their one province and you can annex them for 2 points of infamy without having to fight the Kaiser. As long as you make sure not to border any of the larger nations and don't exceed the infamy limit you can eat up the entire HRE from the inside without any difficulties. Like so:

Just make sure you dismantle the HRE before annexing the last elector, or it'll turn permanently hereditary and the Kaiser will be un-annexable for the rest of the game.
Like Hungary here:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Vegetable posted:

My MiscMods EU3 game is pretty hosed. Finally modernised as Jerusalem so now I have -3 stability, which is not rising because <random event> keeps reducing it and <random event> keeps killing off my artists. So I can't get to the required stability to enact Military Modernisation to stop the random events. Because I'm overextended from invading all the Arab kingdoms (which don't core for 50 years) my stability cost is +50%. Rebels pop up everywhere and pretty much all I'm doing is stomping them out. Man this game gets tedious sometimes.

Sounds like you're not resisting the western influences. If it works like it does in vanilla EU3, you'll keep getting events that kill your advisors, decentralize your government and drop your stability until you either modernize your military or chose the option to "resist western influences." Choosing the option to resist will give you a 10 year modifier that prevents any more of those events, prohibits you from modernizing your military and gives you a small bonus to revolt risk. Just keep resisting every ten years until you've got all the requirements to modernize then do it the instant the "resisting western influences" modifier expires.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Been playing it a couple of hours, and it seems like a really solid and fun game, but I'm disappointed in the lack in events\goals\generals\anything to do for minor powers.

All the different types of units is a bit overwhelming, and this is especially confusing:

After annexing most of Sweden as Denmark and massively expanding my army, it's very disappointing that I still only have 4 generals, and I'll never get any more. There should be a chance for a leaderless army to spawn a new general after a battle, or something.

Verdict: Fun, but a bit empty. I'd like to see domination provinces for minor powers.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Denmark the minor power, Sweden the major: :smug:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Lord Tywin posted:

So how does on get guys into forts? And why does my guys just stand around after battles not fleeing anywhere so my enemy can crush them over and over again?

birken posted:

Garrison units automatically move into the forts, for other units you need to activate the enter fort command. Units in forts makes it harder to effectively siege the fort (you need twice the number of men to be able to progress the siege), the fort level decides the maximum number of soldier that can count for this. They will also take part in defending against assaults.
Since the base garrison replenishes slowly and the fort takes some time to repair after a siege, there is usually a good strategy to leave a detachment of your own troops inside the fort to keep it from being liberated by smaller enemy detachments.

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 19, 2013

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Does anyone have any tips on fighting GBR in MotE? I'm playing as the Ottomans, and all I need to do is to get them under 100% naval domination to win, but I'm getting absolutely slaughtered in all engagements, even with twice the amount of ships:

I thought at first it was because of Britain's admirals, but in this screenshot I lost 15 1st-rate-ship-of-the-line, and half my transporters without doing any damage. It's even worse when they actually use any of their super-admirals.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Enrico Dandolo posted:

Do you have any of the naval ideas? The top tier naval movement idea and fire idea level four both make a big difference.

I never had enough ships to really take down the British so I had to exploit the AI a bit instead. Usually the AI navies are split into little 1-4 ship fleets except for one or two serious stacks, but they're not smart enough to blockade your main fleet with one of those stacks, so you can just hide at port and wait for them to go away (or occasionally they do this weird thing where every day the major fleet splits off a new 1 ship fleet, so you can wait for their fleet to get really small then attack), then you have a week or two free sailing before they come back.

I have the fire idea, but not the last naval idea, that's 1000 idea points away, so that's probably not very realistic. Adding up the various bonuses I've found that Britain gets +50% big/light ship defence from one of the unique decisions and 0.2 extra naval morale and 20% light/big ship attack due to its government. That's quite a bit in addition to the 1+ morale idea. Seems like I'm a bit hosed. I can't defeat them with twice the amount of ships and with even more ships I guess my positioning would plummet, so my only hope seems to be some kind of AI exploit and/or going for that last naval idea.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Vodos posted:

I was gonna say "delete the installscript.vdf" in the game's folder but mine is also doing it and the file isn't in the folder. I'm pretty sure that's how it worked for CK2.

There's one in March of the Eagles\_CommonRedist\DotNet\4.0 Client Profile

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Jygallax posted:

3. And lastly, this one's less of a gameplay question, but does the Ottoman Empire crumble and fall apart in this game often like it did in history? I'd really like to play a game as Greece and it would be nice to be able to snap up provinces from them as things go downhill for them.

The only nation I've seen succumb to a nationalistic rebellion in my last 10 games is Spain, losing Catalonia and Cuba. The Ottoman empire usually keeps hold of its territory, but it'll often have problems with anarcho-liberals and communists, so you'll have ample opportunities to grab some territory. As Greece you can gain a huge technological advantage over OE, so you might even be able to defeat them in a straight war after some time.

Edit: Sorry, this is about Victoria 2.

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 21, 2013

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
One feature that would drastically improve V2 for me would be a redesigned rally point system. My proposal is that when you select a province you can open a create army menu where you can recruit from all connected provinces. So you can select one province, order 6 guards, 2 cavalry and 4 artillery which will be drawn from the closest provinces, then you can select another province and do the same thing. The problem with rally points in the game now is that if I want 3 armies in 3 neighbouring provinces I still have to split and move regiments around manually, because most of them will probably end up in the rally point closest to the rest of my provinces.

I'd really like something like this, because managing and recruiting armies in the late game gets really tedious, and is the number 1 reason I usually abandon games.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Zeron posted:

There's actually something similar to this in MotE. The military screen pulls up a full list of all provinces that you can build the selected unit in, with each one going to the closest rally point. And it can be sorted by rally point so you can do that and then build in the provinces that'll go there. You can also sort by the amount of time it'll take to build the unit and so on, it's pretty great.

Yeah, I just realized that after writing the post. It's almost exactly what I want, but if you could choose exactly where the armies would go each time it would be perfect.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

A quick noob question, though - how do I release countries? If I'm playing, say, Prussia, how do I release the Duchy of Warsaw? I know you can force other nations to liberate countries, but I can't find the button to liberate my own.

Thanks.

You can't, unfortunately.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

B B posted:

This is what I want if I want to get into EU3, right? Any idea if this will validate on Steam? CK2 is my first Paradox game, and I've been playing the hell out of it for the past week. I really want to give EU3 a try.

Yep, that's the one. Doesn't look like it validates on Steam, though: http://www.amazon.com/Game-code-work-on-Steam/forum/FxP3CSG5CPZOL5/Tx28LYR4EXDFAZ/1/ref=cm_cd_dp_tp_t?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B004SCRFZE

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Are there any mods for V2 that makes the borders between individual provinces and their names easier to see? I have to squint to make out the land provinces when they are covered by FoW, and I'm literally unable to see the names and borders between sea provinces under FoW.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
They may get some sort of military access on you during the truce, but I'm not completely sure on the rules.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I just went Bavaria -> Germany -> HRE -> Papal State -> Germany in EU3, and I think I broke something. Witness the Reformed Pope of Germany:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Jean Pony posted:

How do you become a papacy?

Be a catholic theocracy, not be the Teutonic Order, and Italy and the Papal States have to not exist.

Bold Robot posted:

Did you get the Germany decision bonuses twice?

Yes :smug:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Jabarto posted:

I thought Germany couldn't form the HRE and vice-versa?

HRE can't form Germany, but there's no restrictions for forming the HRE, beyond the obvious like being emperor and having the necessary authority.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

A Tartan Tory posted:

The real question is...why is Gelre still independent? :psyduck:

Gelre was the only one to refuse the decision to revoke the privilegia. A huge Milan who hated me had no problems becoming a vassal, but 1 province Gelre with 200 relations thought he could take me on. :negative:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

SeaTard posted:

So what is there to stop the Emperor from just collecting 4 vassals, and then making them all Electors? It doesn't matter if the other ones hate you, because 4 gives you a majority. And hell, just go all out and revoke/assign to a few more vassals, and end up with a full set of 7. It looks like it'll be even easier to game the HRE in EU4, which seems like the opposite of what was planned.

If you have 4 elector vassals I'm pretty sure they will all hate you and vote for something else. They said in the forum that having an elector as vassal is no guarantee of them voting for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

SeaTard posted:

Ah, I missed that part. That pretty much gets rid of the problem, although I do wonder if it's possible to keep the number of Electors artificially low. EU3 had a few events that would revoke/grant Elector status, but if it's purely handled through diplomatic actions in EU4, it should be possible to revoke all of the Electorate except for a single vassal, who would then keep voting you in forever. That's solvable pretty easily by just having an event if the number of Electors gets below 4 that grants status to a random country.

Imperial authority decreases by 1 each year for every empty elector seat.

• Locked thread