Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Jeedy Jay posted:

So, not a very close resemblance, then. We may as well be likening them to the Exosquad.

My point was more about the feel of group. It's not about some dippy teenager and his girlfriend going on an adventure to save the world. It's a seasoned crew going out and getting jobs done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
I don't mean to pick bones about it. Although, now that I think about it, Ace looks a lot like Wolf Bronski on a diet.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Just a heads up, stuff is pretty busy for me this week. An update is in the works, but it is very slow-going, and probably I won't have it done until the weekend. I'll try to do an interlude of some sort (probably character design analysis?) for you before then, though, so you've got something to read if you want to before the update goes up.

:downsgun:

mageofthesands
Jan 2, 2013
I just love the expressions on Joker and Ace's faces when Shiba dares to interfere in their argument. "WHAT?!" "Oh, right, the weapons."

Maybe "sword" is a catch all term for any bladed weapon in the Suikoverse?

I also like how Geddoe's crew is very much a show not tell kind of story telling. We don't need to know all their backstories to enjoy their current story. We have got a bit from exchanges between the crew. Ace is from Viney del Zexey. Does it really matter at the moment? No, but it's nice to know. If this was a Typical JRPG, he'd have already gone into all the things he did there as a kid, childhood friends, and more that won't come up. (Except the Evil Childhood Friend, of course)

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

mageofthesands posted:

I think the kanji for "blade" and "sword" are very similar, so in this case it's more likely the S3 translation team just dun goofed.
It won't be the last time, either.

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 6, 2013

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Shiki Dan posted:

I think the kanji for "blade" and "sword" are very similar, so in this case it's more likely the S3 translation team just dun goofed.
It won't be the last time, either.

The kanji are pretty similar, yeah. "Sword" is written as 刀 and "blade" is written as 刃. I'm not sure how the original script looked in Japanese, though, so it could be a translation error of an entirely different sort. They're gonna make this mistake a couple more times before we leave the Great Hollow, probably.

The translation team was pretty good for Sui3, especially compared to the earlier games, but it's got it's share of strange moments.

mageofthesands posted:

I just love the expressions on Joker and Ace's faces when Shiba dares to interfere in their argument. "WHAT?!" "Oh, right, the weapons."

I also like how Geddoe's crew is very much a show not tell kind of story telling. We don't need to know all their backstories to enjoy their current story. We have got a bit from exchanges between the crew. Ace is from Viney del Zexey. Does it really matter at the moment? No, but it's nice to know. If this was a Typical JRPG, he'd have already gone into all the things he did there as a kid, childhood friends, and more that won't come up. (Except the Evil Childhood Friend, of course)

It's like they completely forgot where they were while they were arguing. :allears:

We really won't learn much about that crew, either, which is sort of a nice change of pace. The only thing in their pasts that really matters is that they all ended up in the same mercenary force, and they're just rolling with whatever happens now.

Evil Childhood Friend is also something that doesn't really come up in this game. I guess if you really stretch it, maybe one of the characters coming in later... It'd be a pretty big stretch, though. Doesn't come up for this group, at the very least.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

yokaiy posted:

The kanji are pretty similar, yeah. "Sword" is written as 刀 and "blade" is written as 刃. I'm not sure how the original script looked in Japanese, though, so it could be a translation error of an entirely different sort. They're gonna make this mistake a couple more times before we leave the Great Hollow, probably.

Yeah, it's 刃 for the lizard and the duck just says he's here for tempering without naming the thing.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Interesting. So the lizards suspected treachery from the outset. But can't anyone buy Zexen swords? I figured the Zexen Council might be big on that.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Glazius posted:

Interesting. So the lizards suspected treachery from the outset. But can't anyone buy Zexen swords? I figured the Zexen Council might be big on that.

I'm sure anyone could buy Zexen swords, but the Zexens are the only ones who they're really at odds with that would be in their lands. We've seen very few Harmonians, who are neutral and not looking to start a war anyway, and I don't think we've seen any from the other regions of the world unless you count Roland or something.

Anyway, since it was requested to be my next analysis, let's take a look at the Saint Loa Knights!

First, we've got Melville. He's overall pretty simple, as far as designs go, which is appropriate given that he's, for all intents and purposes given his mother's and father's absence, an orphan who has to take care of himself. He wears what's comfortable -- simple shoes with some cozy socks, some worn knickers, and an old shirt that might actually be a bit big on him, which he wears rather nonchalantly and doesn't tuck in. He doesn't even bother to button his vest. He's just trying to get by, and it shows.

Alanis is probably the easiest one for me to pick apart, because her entire image is designed to be contrary to her personality. Her pink frock is simple, but has some pretty fancy trimming, as she comes from a merchant family that is probably pretty well off. Looking at her, you'd think she was every bit the prim and proper young lady her family probably wishes she was. She keeps all her buttons buttoned and ruffles properly ruffled; even her hair looks like it was very meticulously prepared to be perfect. And yet, what we've seen of her suggests that she's actually quite the tomboy. Melville may be the official "captain" of their group, but Alanis is the one pushing them into adventures and dragging them into dangerous mines to take on rhyming bandits and find treasure. She was the one that formed the Saint Loa Knights in the first place. And she only gets more un-ladylike as we go, folks. Thus, her design is really there to both throw you off, and to emphasize how not-girly she is, in contrast to her dress.

And then we have Elliot. He's a nerd-in-the-making, if I ever saw one. Just look at that dorky suspenders and shorts combo. He's like Arnold from The Magic School Bus. He looks like a pampered child, given his chubbiness, the perfectly tied bandana, as well as his shoelaces and rolled up sleeves (which are much more carefully rolled up than Melville's), and the big stink he made about soup and having to make his mother happy before being allowed to play. Elliot's strength lies in his sense of smell, so his glasses and poor eyesight are actually indicative of this. After all, it's said that your other senses become sharper to make up for poorer ones.

Also, did you notice that all three of them have red bandanas? As a trio, the bandanas make them easy to distinguish as being a part of the same grouping, as well as their ages, but more notable is actually their color schemes. Melville is designed so you first notice the color of his shirt and vest, which are blue, while Alanis is designed with red/pink, and Elliot with yellow. Together, they make up the three primary colors: red, blue, and yellow.

mageofthesands
Jan 2, 2013
No, I never noticed that all three wore bandanas until now. How is that possible? I must be blind.

Did you alter the gamma for the Great Hollow? It's always so dark on my TV. The lights coming out from the ground are a neat effect, even if I don't understand how they work. It's a good thing there are so few things in the Great Hollow, otherwise I'd spend 5 minutes bumping around invisible rocks from not being able to see.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I never noticed the design on Melville's socks before. :haw:

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

Even my tail feathers concur.
If i remember correctly Melville wears his bandanna kind of like his dad's.

Strayed
Mar 3, 2013
Suikoden III was my first in the series and it's been forever since I played it so I'm really enjoying the thread so far yokaiy and I'm loving your additional character analysis.

As for the Evil Childhood Friend, if you're thinking of who I think you're thinking then that certainly is one hell of a stretch. Funnily enough they are one of my favorite characters in the game(don't know why) and I was delightedly amused that the author of the manga included a flashback to their introduction to one of the main characters.

Man, I gotta go find out how to use spoilers so I don't have to be so drat oblique.

edit: Actually now that I think about it there are at least two examples of potential Evil Childhood Friend that fit a lot better than who I was thinking of. The one I was thinking of happens to be a her.

Strayed fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 8, 2013

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

mageofthesands posted:

No, I never noticed that all three wore bandanas until now. How is that possible? I must be blind.

Did you alter the gamma for the Great Hollow? It's always so dark on my TV. The lights coming out from the ground are a neat effect, even if I don't understand how they work. It's a good thing there are so few things in the Great Hollow, otherwise I'd spend 5 minutes bumping around invisible rocks from not being able to see.

Nope. I've noticed that "saving for web" from photoshop does make them a bit brighter, but it's hardly noticeable unless you stare at this sort of thing all day (which I do). Other than that, these are unaltered. I didn't even get any mid-transition shots this time, so yeah, unaltered.

Zosephine posted:

If i remember correctly Melville wears his bandanna kind of like his dad's.

Yeah but his dad is dumb.

Strayed posted:

Suikoden III was my first in the series and it's been forever since I played it so I'm really enjoying the thread so far yokaiy and I'm loving your additional character analysis.

As for the Evil Childhood Friend, if you're thinking of who I think you're thinking then that certainly is one hell of a stretch. Funnily enough they are one of my favorite characters in the game(don't know why) and I was delightedly amused that the author of the manga included a flashback to their introduction to one of the main characters.

Man, I gotta go find out how to use spoilers so I don't have to be so drat oblique.

Thank you very much, and glad to have you on board. Pretty sure we're talking about the same character, yes, and I'd actually prefer you talk about him so vaguely instead of using spoiler tags. The rest of the characters are fine for spoiler tags, but said person's identity I'd like to keep completely out of the thread until we get to the reveal.

For reference, though, you can spoiler tag something with [ spoiler ] and [ /spoiler ], but minus the spaces.

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

Well poo poo, now everybody knows it's a guy! It's only a matter of time before they figure it out! :stare:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This game is pretty good at hiding the hand of those who are up to no good. Hell, we never saw them at all in Chris or Hugo's first chapters...which means it's most likely up to Geddoe's unaffiliated neutral party to figure things out. Everyone else will be blinded by hate.

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

So the next update is a thing that is happening; yokaiy is putting it together as I type. It's freaking LONG, and chock-full of screencaps for your amusement.

The only preview that I can give you is: piles of bodies.

e: Also, a lot of poo poo happened for us only walking three feet.

Zosephine fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 9, 2013

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Geddoe Chapter 1.3 - A Foul Plot Afoot, But Not My Feet

We're now free to explore the Great Hollow as much as we like, since Shiba's not baby-sitting us. However, we've seen the main area already, so let's head down the ramp to that unmarked tunnel from earlier.

Hmm, there appears to be a small group of Lizards in front of it now. They weren't there before.

Investigating triggers a scene.

: "What's going on?"

The front-most Lizard turns to face Geddoe, and gives him a very curt response.

: "We have an intruder. You stay out of this."

The trio run off through the tunnel.

He looks so pleased.

: "I guess."

She shares his grin.

To the surprise of absolutely no one, we follow them into the tunnel.

The tunnel, much like the mines in Zexen, suffers from having a lot of really boring corridors, such as this one.

For spies, we're not very stealthy. The Lizards are waiting for us at the end of the tunnel, and they are NOT happy to see us.

Before we have a chance to defend ourselves verbally, however, we find ourselves forced physically kick some rear end.

They're not easy opponents, either, so let's bring out the big guns.

:getin:

We start off with a Boronda Hawk.

It... doesn't help much. These Lizards have a pretty good amount of defense, and they've got a wad of HP to back it up.

They've also got enough muscle to beat a small army into submission. 82 is pretty low damage output for them. We, on the other hand, are doing around 50.

They also berserk after they've taken enough damage.

We've got a few tricks up our sleeve, though.

Well, really, it's just one trick.

Yeah, that ought to do it.

Everyone gets levels for it.

The battle would actually end in a few turns if we hadn't owned their asses in two turns, as Shiba steps in to stop it.

:3: Hi Shiba.

: "Move out!"

: "Yes, sir!"

They all bow apologetically, before bolting further down the tunnels.

The troupe turns their attention to Shiba.

: "An intruder... What's he after?"

: "This is an act of war against our Clan. We must not let him get away."

: "We will help you. After all, we are hugely indebted to Chief Zepon."

He bows.

Yesssssssssssssss.

We switch Shiba and Queen, so that Shiba is in front of Geddoe and Queen is behind Joker.

So let's take a look at our new friend.

He comes with the Warrior Rune, which takes half of his repel-ability, and reroutes it straight to his power.

He's pretty much a truck.

I take that back. He's a bulldozer.

:unsmigghh:

Running through the rest of the tunnel takes us to an underwater lake of sorts, with two paths to the north.

Proceeding a few steps, we are stopped by a Lizard warrior, who urges us forward.

It's hard to tell from this camera angle, unfortunately, but he runs down the far-path. The near-path is off-screen, which confused me my first time playing. If you go down the wrong one, I believe Shiba brings it up to correct you.

So we follow through the far-path, albeit at a much more relaxed pace.

We end up in a second pretty straight-forward tunnel. You can see the light in the background, which is actually one of the places the Hollow lets out to various places in the Grasslands.

There are enemies about, though given how short the passage is, you don't run into too many. We've got Daggerwings, which we've seen, but also these weird things called Soul Slugs.

The Soul Slugs like to absorb your soul (or something?), which actually does a pretty good amount of damage.

Shiba doesn't really care how much potential damage you can do, though.

Soul Slugs can also breathe blue fire.

Daggerwings, in a show we haven't seen yet, have an attack where they can pick someone up off the ground.

Then, they drop them on to the ground for some good damage.

They like to go after backline characters, such as Jacques.

We can handle the lot of them, though.

The group makes their way out of the tunnel, to find something very strange.

A bunch of Lizard fighters are lying dead on the ground, and the attackers appear to be a bunch of Zexens, as Shiba had feared. And leading them is... wait...

Is that Chris??

: "Hey! You there! Ironheads! What are you doing here?"

"Oh, we just found all these dead Lizards lying here. No big deal."

: "We wanted to see just how powerful the greatest warrior clan among the Six Clans was."

She unsheathes her blade.

: "Wait!"

Shiba, stop, that was a rhetorical question!

Geddoe's a bit too slow on his warning, though, and we find ourselves in battle against a small force of Zexen Knights, lead by none other than our Lady Chris herself.

This battle is hard. Victory in this fight hinges mostly on whether or not Chris does one thing in particular.

This.

She can take out pretty much my entire team with one attack.

And then her Knights can clean up.

Chris also has a ridiculous amount of magic defense, so even Geddoe's strongest Rune attack won't do very much against her.

It doesn't end well for us, so let's try that again.

This time, we have everyone and their mom focus on taking out Chris. We were lucky enough that she didn't decide to use her Super Ultimate Glacier Attack Of Death during our second attempt.

She has another tricky move, though. It'll pretty much fully heal everyone, though ironically heals her the least. Still, I'd rather her use her mass-heal over the Death-Glacier any day.

Even without her super attack, we've got quite the corpse pile already.

Shiba does the honors of taking her out, but that still leaves quite a few knights to deal with.

It's still very easy to get overwhelmed, even with the strongest of the bunch out of the picture. At this point, everyone but Geddoe and Shiba was down, and Shiba had gone beserk from low HP.

Geddoe throws a medicine at Shiba, Shiba gets hit, Shiba kills something. Imagine this sequence about 4 or 5 times. The two manage to pull through out of sheer will power and medicines.

Corpse party.

The sickest of burns, right there.

He is really good at not telling people things.

It's his number one skill. Ranked S in Caginess.

: "I see. Well then..."

She sheathes her sword, and turns.

: "One day, you'll see."

Chris is sporting a B Rank in Caginess herself.

And an A in Peacing-The-gently caress-Out.

: "What the...?"

I couldn't agree more.

The scene cuts, and we rejoin our men back inside the Hollow.

: "I can't figure it out. Why would they pull something like that just before the armistice?"

: "That's something we'd all like to know."

: "..."

Oh, there you are Perry Jacques.

: "Tracks?"

: "..."

Oh, that sounds bad.

Shiba, no. :(

We make our way through the tunnels to the main area of the Hollow.

Sure enough, it looks like the entire Lizard population is gathered near Zepon's room.

Geddoe actually runs over for this cutscene, which is a nice touch when you consider how lethargic he usually is.

: "What happened?"

: "Who'd have thought they were after... They were after our Chief... We have failed."

: "What?! Who did this? How?!"

The Lizard forces head out as soon as they're able.

: "The knights may have been responsible, but we don't know their reasons yet."

: "Hmmm...."

Geddoe shakes his head. It looks like he's pretty mad too. If he weren't on the job, I feel like he'd be about ready to jump in the Lizard army and tear Chris and her knights a new one as well.

: "So what should we do now? Keep trying to find the Fire Bringer?"

: "We should pay a visit to the renowned Lucia, chief of the Karaya Village. She may know something."

"Queen, it is no business of yours what ladies I find attractive."

Next time, we'll see if we can reach the Karaya Village before the Karayans head off to war with the Zexens.

I somehow doubt it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

"Their tracks were too light," huh?

Illusionary knights, starting a real war.

So, now we not only know how the bad guys stirred up poo poo between the Zexen and Grasslanders, we know that they're probably total dickbag puppet masters.

(Or, I dunno, two gnomes wearing a mask standing on each other's shoulders in a suit of armor).

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Speedball posted:

So, now we not only know how the bad guys stirred up poo poo between the Zexen and Grasslanders, we know that they're probably total dickbag puppet masters.

(Or, I dunno, two gnomes wearing a mask standing on each other's shoulders in a suit of armor).

I'm guessing the tracks were too light because the real creatures weren't wearing heavy armor.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
One of the really cool things about Trinity Sight is the way it obviates the need for a lot of exposition. It also creates some funny meta-clues as to what's going on ("Chris was nowhere NEAR that good with magic when I had her! What's going on here!?").

Edit: Sorry about the spoiler, I really should have caught that with how much time I spent futzing with that post. :shepface:

Jeedy Jay fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 10, 2013

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Speedball posted:

Definitely gnomes. Gnomes are rough, man. They're perfect height to take a swing at your family jewels. Who even knows what those things are thinking about, in their little gardens and poo poo.

Jeedy Jay posted:

One of the really cool things about Trinity Sight is the way it obviates the need for a lot of exposition. It also creates some funny meta-clues as to what's going on ("Chris was nowhere NEAR that good with magic when I had her! What's going on here!?").

Edit: Sorry about the spoiler, I really should have caught that with how much time I spent futzing with that post. :shepface:

Seeing as I totally missed whatever you had posted, thanks for catching it yourself and removing it. :)

So, there's a vote-worthy decision coming up at some point in the near future, and I'm going to put it to vote now!

Queen: Hey, dude, we should get out of here.
Geddoe:
>Eh.
>Okay.

As always, bold your votes and stuff.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Geddoe is totally an eh guy.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

It's Ged. Eh is the only choice.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
Eh all the way.

Dylan McKay fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 10, 2013

Rhiora
Oct 10, 2012

dancingbears posted:

It's Ged. Eh is the only choice.

I concur. Eh

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011
Eh :effort:

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Agreed.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Can't think of a better vote than this one.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

yokaiy posted:

Yeah, that ought to do it.

Hello there, favorite spell in the game :allears:

Eh. Because screw the Chapter 1 version of that guy. Also, I think this vote's given me an icon/title idea, finally! A closeup on Geddoe's face from the drawing earlier in the thread, with the text something like "Go on an adventure ordained by fate? -->Okay -->Eh"

Verant fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 10, 2013

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Verant posted:

Hello there, favorite spell in the game :allears:

Eh. Because screw the Chapter 1 version of that guy. Also, I think this vote's given me an icon/title idea, finally! A closeup on Geddoe's face from the drawing earlier in the thread, with the text something like "Go on an adventure ordained by fate? -->Okay -->Eh"

Oh, hell yes. :allears: If you want, I can make a better version of that face for you, since I doodled that one up in like under 5 minutes.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

I love geddoe because you can try to do the fights right, or you can just use your level three.

:effort:

:science:

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I wonder how many players took the 'eh' option just to see what the hell Ged was talking about, only to be less than happy with the results.

that said, Eh is the good and correct choice.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

eh because Ged can't even muster the effort to enunciate the 'm'

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Make room for me on the Eh :bandwagon:.

mageofthesands
Jan 2, 2013
First, I should point out my reference to an Evil Childhood friend was a crack about Typical JRPG cliches, which Ace averts. :edi: I don't even know if he has an Evil Childhood Friend. On the other hand... continue with the theories! Which character has/is an Unlucky Childhood Friend?

Second, many Peckles died to bring you that victory, I suspect.

Third, Eh.

Fourth, Lightning level 3 is why Lightning is best AoE rune, especially in later levels.

Fifth, it's totally Queen's business about who Geddoe finds attractive. Ace and Joker have each other, Jacques has a sidekick and Queen has Geddoe. She's The Chick of the group, so has to be into the Lead Male Figure. Maybe. I don't know. It's not spelled out anywhere, making us come to our own conclusions. Which is a strength of Suikoden III.

Sixth, Jacques proves he brings more to the table than a big ol' crossbow. Good catch there on them tracks.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Soooo how long until badass lizard dude becomes a permanent party member?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

A very, very long time. :(

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RabidWeasel posted:

When we get a suikoden(TM) branded base, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Well, that's certainly a really convincing way to start a war, I must admit.

• Locked thread