Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Those lipstick marks are bigger than Queen's lips so I guess she only buys bombs that already have great big smooches on them. That...wouldn't actually be entirely out of tone for this game, though I don't think it would be Queen who would use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Veyrall posted:

Those lipstick marks are bigger than Queen's lips so I guess she only buys bombs that already have great big smooches on them. That...wouldn't actually be entirely out of tone for this game, though I don't think it would be Queen who would use them.

True. I guess kiss-mark bombs would really be Sgt. Joe's thing?

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Well that confermes that Bours or some one that looks like him did in fact murder all those people.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
So, it's actually Double Trinity System, since there are six pedestal to lit? That's a nice twist.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Shouldn't this guy be taking a ring to Mordor about now?

I do like both versions of the Borus scene. But of course it's more satisfying to beat him up.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Thomas chapters are the best. I love how every member of Thomas' crew can be leveled up to be absolute monsters, though it takes a ton of skill points to do it.

Sadly, most of his dudes won't fight in war battles so it's really not worth it.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Veyrall posted:

She stole that one from Ace, obviously. They're very expensive, and he likes each one to know that daddy loves it before pelting it at his opponents mercilessly.

Serious Frolicking posted:

True. I guess kiss-mark bombs would really be Sgt. Joe's thing?

You know what? Actually, I like this better.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

yokaiy posted:

You know what? Actually, I like this better.

"...and he says to the shopkeeper, 'put it on my bill!'" :rimshot:

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.

Fister Roboto posted:

"...and he says to the shopkeeper, 'put it on my bill!'" :rimshot:

:frogout:

One of the other reasons I like Thomas's stories is they're a lot different in tone than the first three. While we're off starting/preventing war and being spies, Thomas is being all :3: and trying to run his little castle.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
Man this game has so many likable characters.

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
Suikogaiden I finally get's an English translation. Deserves a mention since from what I heard it has connection with Suikoden 1-3.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Well I'll be hosed! Wasn't expecting that.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

MrCinos posted:

Suikogaiden I finally get's an English translation. Deserves a mention since from what I heard it has connection with Suikoden 1-3.

Oh, sweet sons of Skyrim, YES. This is amazing, thanks for telling us!

Well, now I know what I'm doing tomorrow afternoon.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

MrCinos posted:

Goddamn, I thought that project was dead. Still though, I'd love to be able to play the Gaidens as they're the only Suikodens that I haven't played.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011
Have fun ever finding a way to play it.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dogdoo 8 posted:

Have fun ever finding a way to play it.

I'm going to check into that right now.

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011
Can not believe that actually got finished.

Edit: got the patch working, this is actually pretty entertaining.

Nighteyedie fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 24, 2013

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Nighteyedie posted:

Can not believe that actually got finished.

Edit: got the patch working, this is actually pretty entertaining.

What emulator are you using? Tried running it on epsxe and all I get is a black screen.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

Try fiddling with your video plugins? It was tested on ePSXe, but a few people had intermittent issues that couldn't be duplicated; I don't know whether they were patch issues or original game issues.

I've never encountered issues running it on pSX.

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

Verbose posted:

What emulator are you using? Tried running it on epsxe and all I get is a black screen.

I'm using ePSXe with one of Pete's GPU plugins.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Nighteyedie posted:

I'm using ePSXe with one of Pete's GPU plugins.

Dunno, can't get it to go. :iiam:

mageofthesands
Jan 2, 2013
Earth's level 1 isn't so bad. Tossing one up at the start of a boss fight certainly can't hurt. Shield 2 isn't as good as Water 3, but Aila will have more spell level 2 slots, and I believe Water 3 heals people around the target, while Shield 2 heals everyone no matter their position.

I like how Jacques can out-elf elves in the department of appearing out of nowhere with a bow.

Aila is taking the destruction of the village better than Hugo. Actually, she's taking it better than a lot of JRPG characters would. Perhaps too well? It's nice that we all of a sudden have a new character to ask questions that Geddoe's Crew would already know the answer to, or put up with their secretive ways. And she does this without being obnoxious about it.

So, I guess now that Geddoe's Crew is assembled, it's time to do a fashion review of them?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

mageofthesands posted:

I like how Jacques can out-elf elves in the department of appearing out of nowhere with a bow.

Yeah don't expect anyone to ever "out badass sniper" Jacques because they won't :allears:

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
EDIT: I misread the sentence, so ignore it.

Still, keep up the good work. I started replaying Suikoden III again (beaten it once before) before finding this LP, so I enjoy seeing your take on the same things I have done quite recently.

AMReese fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 28, 2013

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

mageofthesands posted:

Earth's level 1 isn't so bad. Tossing one up at the start of a boss fight certainly can't hurt. Shield 2 isn't as good as Water 3, but Aila will have more spell level 2 slots, and I believe Water 3 heals people around the target, while Shield 2 heals everyone no matter their position.

Aila is taking the destruction of the village better than Hugo. Actually, she's taking it better than a lot of JRPG characters would. Perhaps too well? It's nice that we all of a sudden have a new character to ask questions that Geddoe's Crew would already know the answer to, or put up with their secretive ways. And she does this without being obnoxious about it.

So, I guess now that Geddoe's Crew is assembled, it's time to do a fashion review of them?

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah don't expect anyone to ever "out badass sniper" Jacques because they won't :allears:

Jacques is pretty awesome, yes. :allears:

Regarding runes, Shield 1 is actually what keeps it useful throughout the game, but Shield 2 remains pretty great. Water 3 is, indeed, an AoE spell, which sort of puts a damper on it's usefulness, though it will heal for more. I like to use a combination of the two, but haven't gotten a spare Water Rune for the group yet. They're both good spells, though, and Water 1 is pretty great in a pinch as well.

Well, you have to keep in mind that some portion -- probably most of it -- of Aila's reaction happened off-screen, when she was with Joker and Ace. We saw her initial reaction, when she was in shock, but it's probably safe to say she had a fit at some point too. Ace did mention that they had to more-or-less drag her out of the village so she wouldn't die trying to rip the knights some new assholes. But, yeah. She's taking it quite well, all things considered.

Yeah, I'll do a review of them at some point. I wasn't sure whether or not to bundle Aila in with the Grasslanders or the 12th Unit, but from here on we'll see her securing her place as one of them, so it's probably more appropriate to analyze her with the rest of them.

AMReese posted:

EDIT: I misread the sentence, so ignore it.

Still, keep up the good work. I started replaying Suikoden III again (beaten it once before) before finding this LP, so I enjoy seeing your take on the same things I have done quite recently.

Oh. 'kay. :v: I think I missed it.

Glad to have you here. :)

On a different note, I've gotten most of the next update finished now. I'll have it up either fairly soon or tomorrow. Probably tomorrow.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Geddoe Chapter 1.6 - Errands

Now that we've met Thomas, we've come to one of the biggest staples of the Suikoden series. We can now recruit people, and send them over to Budehuc castle.

Normally this happens when you start amassing an army, but that isn't really the case for this game. We can start recruiting as soon as we've met Thomas and seen his castle. Of course, at the moment only Geddoe has done this, so were we to switch to Chris or Hugo, they wouldn't be able to recruit until they had also met him.

But let's not waste any time, and get right to it!

Peggi is a pretty good starter, so we run to the Great Hollow first. We won't be getting the other Lizards for quite some time, so let's at least get this one.

:
>"Can you work on my sword?"
>"Nothing."

The non-recruit dialogue can be pretty entertaining, especially as Geddoe. Peggi's non-recruit dialogue is a bit on the boring side, though. I'll be showing them off like so.

: "You want me to work on your sword?! Forget it!"

: "........."

Wow, rude.

: "I can't do any work with this beat up hammer!"

Oh, okay.

: "Don't you like your tools?"

:allears:

Hey, remember that Iron Hammer we picked up a few updates ago?

: "Whoa! A shiny new hammer! Could I have that? Please?"

Because Peggi seems to have noticed it.

: "Oooooh!! It's so shiny! What a nice piece of work! I want that hammer! Yes! I must have it!"

: "This should come in handy."

: "Ahhhh, yes!! Thank you!! I'll get on it right away. I'd rather hone my skills somewhere other than this dark hole, though! Do you know a better place for a blacksmith?!"

: "Budehuc Castle would suit you perfectly."

: "Of course! Every castle needs a blacksmith! Where is Budehuc Castle? I'll find it. This is good! Leave it to me. You'll be glad when I'm there! Bye now!"

: "You'll add to the atmosphere."

Our heroes will generally have something entertaining to say about our recruits after they get their butts to Budehuc.

Peggi has been replaced with a generic blacksmith, so I decide to up everyone's weapons to level 6 while I'm here. I could afford to go higher, but there are some things I'll need money for and I couldn't remember how much I'd need.

Our next stop is in Brass Castle.

There's a sad irony here that this NPC is just not grasping.

Or it would have been, but the center of the fort is blocked off for Geddoe for the moment, so we'll have to go around. That'll take us north, past a route we haven't actually checked out yet, so let's head there instead.

Mt. Hei-Tou is a sort of special location, at this point. Like Budehuc, it's entirely optional, but going there has some great benefits.

We start off at the base of the mountain, until the third screen in. Here, we have the option of continuing straight again, but it would take us to a dead-end, so we'll go north up the mountain instead.

The path takes a couple of turns (which I apparently forgot to get pictures of), but they mostly end up going in the same direction anyway. There's also a couple dead bodies. We loot a Recipe #5 off of this one, before continuing further up the mountain.

You see, it's the top of the mountain that makes this place special. That blue crab is what we came here for.

The crab, called the Blue Mantik, is our first treasure boss of the game. Now, a treasure boss is called such because it's a boss-level monster -- stronger than the rare encounters -- and it protects a treasure chest. The only treasure chests in the game are guarded by these treasure bosses.

Treasure bosses are, if not the best, the most fun way to get money in the game. They're also great for leveling. However, they're not pushovers. Well, most of them.

The boss does have, at least, pretty good defense, as well as a chance to guard and take even less damage. Our troupe here won't be seeing much higher than 60 damage without some help, though.

So let's help them out a bit.

The first spell of the Shield Rune is called Battle Oath, and it's one of the most useful spells in the game.

It is cast on the entire party, and has a 40% chance of making them berserk. Which is really good. On a bad day, you'll get maybe two of your party berserked, but on good days? I've seen my entire party berserk on occasion.

We only managed Aila and Queen this time, though.

But boy did it pay off.

Now, our crab friend here has three different attacks, but for some reason it decided to only use two of them, so you'll just have to take my description of the third instead.

The first attack is a standard physical attack, where he whacks you with his claws. It's pretty decent.

The second attack involves lasers. He shoots two beams, one from each claw, and rakes said lasers across the party. Interestingly, though, it only hits one target.

:argh: Smart boss; only delaying the inevitable though.

The third attack is a little weird. It sort of wiggles around, producing bubbles. They do very little.

Still, we chip away at it's defenses.

Hm, I think I need to put some more money into Jacques's bowgun. That, and beef up his skills.

Yeah. That's the stuff. :smugbert:

A few turns later, and the boss is down for the count.

Levels and money are had for all but Geddoe, but the true reward lies ahead.

:getin:

On our way back down, we loot another dead guy. However, there's something a bit more interesting in the same screen.

:3:

:
>Adopt at Budehuc Castle.
>Do nothing.
>Chase away.

There should be an emote that's a combination of :woop: and :3:

Anyway, our job at Mt. Hei-Tou finished, we then run south to the other entrance to Brass Castle. We've a couple things to do here, but let's start by talking to the dork with the bird.

: "Anything you wish to swap?"

:
>"Sure am."
>"It's such a hassle..."

: "Is that a fact? Then what I have to say should interest you."

: "Are you in?"

:
>"Try me."
>"I refuse."

: "There you go!"

: "What a guy!"

Hahahaha. :allears:

: "Grab this plan by the horns! You see, people use deer antlers for medicine. They're crushed and made into tinctures and poultices. And where do you get horns? Wherever deer abound! Find some; go to the local trade shop and check it out for yourself."

: "Where deer abound, eh?"

: "See if you can bag a few deer antlers. Bring them back to me and I'll reward you well."

You may recall that one of the NPCs mentioned that Vinay del Zexay was founded on the trade of deer antlers, so that's where we'll be getting them for the lowest price. However, we can hit up a few more places before heading that way.

Such as the Rune Shop.

: "............"

Wow, that's more dots than usual.

: "What is it you desire?"

:
>"Come to Budehuc."
>"Show me your goods."

: "Budehuc needs a rune sage such as yourself."

: "Hmmm. My spirit's gotten stagnant here. This may be a good time for a change of scenery."

: "Great. The castle is over by..."

: "Yes, Budehuc. I know of it. I look forward to the fun. Aaahhh..."

:woop:

We then head over to the tutor.

Yeah, that should do it.

We give Aila a little boost too. The Bujutsu teacher is in the off-limits part of the castle, though, so we'll have to wait to give the rest some lessons.

There's also this girl over here.

: "...Where should I stand? I'm trying to stay of out everyone's way... Sorry."

: "I didn't say anything."

: "You look studious. Are you a scholar or something?"

: "Well... I wouldn't call myself a scholar. I'm just a beginner. I barely qualified for the job. I don't even have a laboratory yet."

What the hell do you need a lab for?

:
>"Good luck."
>"Budehuc Castle has rooms..."

It's entertaining that they put the recruit option on the bottom this time around, but I can see why. Geddoe doesn't much like this girl.

: "I think they had rooms at Budehuc Castle. You might be able to use one as a lab."

: "... Uh, is that right? But... Let's see..."

And this is why.

Argh posted:

: "Which of these sounds is threatening?"
:
>"Cock-a-doodle-doo."
>"Gggrrrrr."
>"Hee-haw."

: "Which of these cannot be found at any defensive gear shop?"
:
>:"Worn-Out Casque."
>Bizzare Chain Mail."
>"Custom Armor."

: "What is the pattern on Karayan horses?"
:
>"A zebra pattern."
>"No pattern."
>"Polka dots."

: "Which is the correct spelling?"
:
>"Sea bream."
>"Sea breem."
>"Sea breme."

: "Which skill can make a magic spell bounce back at it's caster?"
:
>"Parry."
>"Reflect."
>"Resist."

: "Of the following, which one is not an insect?"
:
>"A jewel beetle."
>"An antlion."
>"A serpent."

: "Which one of these is a Lizard Man?"
:
>"Jimba."
>"Shiba."
>"Jeane."

Definitely Jeane.

: "Which of the following phrases is not possible?"
:
>"I raise wild boar."
>"My piranha is a vegetarian."
>"I ate some cactus for dinner."

: "Which of the following cannot fly?"
:
>"A duck."
>"A winghorde."
>"A dragon."

: "Which statement is false?"
:
>"A dish is cleaned with soap."
>"Rice is cleaned with soap."
>"Feet are cleaned with soap."

: "What is the Duck Clan chief's special characteristic?"
:
>"An amazing tail."
>"Light comes out of his mouth."
>"He does not have webbed feet."

: "Which of these has nothing to do with farming?"
:
>"A hoe."
>"Manure."
>"A quiver."

: "What do lizards do when they're surprised?"
:
>"They stand up and jump."
>"Snap their tails off and run."
>"They do nothing."

: "Which one of these fruits grows on a tree?"
:
>"Strawberries."
>"Pomegranates."
>"Melons."

: "Of the following, which does not exist in blood?"
:
>"Red blood cells."
>"Blue blood cells."
>"White blood cells."

: "Which musical ensemble uses only wind instruments?"
:
>"An orchestra."
>"A wind and strings ensemble."
>"A brass band."

: "Oh wow! Yes! With people like you to help and guide me, I'll have great luck with my research. I'd love to go to Budehuc Castle! Yes, I know where it is. Bye for now!"

She leaves.

:sbahj: Geddoe is angry! Which is an emotion! Wow.

So yeah, she asks a bunch of questions, and you have to get them all right in order to recruit her. She'll ask 5 questions, but the questions are randomly picked from a pool of about 20. I spent a good while trying to get all her questions, but I missed a couple.

We then find ourselves on the way to Vinay the only way we know how -- through the Zexen Forest.

Here, we find a guy feeling up the trees.

: "This guy's baths are much quieter, yet stimulating in a regal way!"

: "....."

Wow, this guy is a nutcase.

There's a quick fade to black as things are at least mildly explained off-screen.

: "How embarrassing! Why didn't you speak up if you were there?"

: "Sorry, but you seemed to be caught up in something..."

: "A bath?"

: "Yeah, I'm going to build the most amazing bath and beat that guy!"

The guy he keeps referring to is his father, and a character from the second game, Tetsu.

:
>"I'll help you."
>"I'm not helping you."

: "You'll help?"

Goro thinks about it for a moment, before continuing.

: "No. I can't have you think building a bath is easy. You have to have a keen eye to recognize good quality. This trade requires a person with the guts to take on grueling work."

Sadly, we don't get the nutter yet. We've got to have one of a couple specific party members in order to get Goro, and we'll be saving him for one of our other heroes anyway. Which is a bit of a shame, because I think his personality would be a nice addition to this group of weirdos.

For all I might say on his sanity, I actually quite like him. However, we can't do anything else with him for now, so let's move on to Vinay.

And here we are. Well, let's not waste any time and get to that trade post.

Okay.

Hmm. The minstrels seem to be down one small child.

: "...."

: "I saw a lot of children."

Very helpful, Geddoe. :effort:

: "A little girl, dressed a bit strangely..."

Don't worry, lady. We'll find her.

But first, we have business here.

: "Basically, yeah."

: "So... You say you know art. That's something in itself. For example, what do your eyes make of this Mole Armor?"

It's significantly cheaper than I remember it being. I guess I have the treasure boss to thank for that.

: "Well? It's my finest masterpiece! Are you reaching for your money? Are you? Or aren't you?"

:
>"Buy."
>"Don't buy."

: "I'll take it."

Dominic nods approvingly.

: "A discerning patron chooses the best! I don't meet many people with such an eye for value! Here you are, Mole Armor!"

:toot:

: "I like you. People of your kind are a bit easier to do business with."

: "Budehuc? You don't say? That sounds good! Sounds fantastic, actually. I don't want to sit in this dingy old shop until I wither and croak. It's decided! You're my last customer here."

: "I need something useful."

I like to imagine that he's putting emphasis on the "useful" part of that sentence, quietly mocking the Mole Armor now that Dominic is out of ear-shot.

Moving on, we visit the trade post.

We stock up on deer antlers because I forget how many we needed to buy for Scott. No, we don't stock up on salt. Unlike Frey, Geddoe doesn't need it to live.

We take a few steps into the plaza, when we're accosted by a creepy laugh.

Erm...

: "This isn't any fun at all. I want to go home."

Shabon manages to slip away as Geddoe approaches.

YOU WERE CHASING HER WITH A TRIDENT? :whoptc:

: "Hey, hey, what are you trying to pull?"

He's trying to pull a duel on you, big guy. Why don't you put him down?

: "Ho ho ho. I don't look kindly upon pests who interfere. Ho ho ho! Your life is mine!"

You might note that Geddoe's HP is already fairly low from the get-go. I forgot to heal up once we'd reached the city. It didn't end up making a difference.

Geddoe can pretty quickly overpower Guillaume, unlike Melville.

Guillaume tends to defend a lot, as well, allowing you to slowly chip away at him at the very least.

(This was after a few rounds of him defending.)

He's also kind enough to broadcast his moves a bit better this time around. I wouldn't say he's become an honest man, but he no longer flat-out lies like when fighting Melville.

He still berserks, though this time it's when his HP falls pretty low, if you can tell from the slight red glow around him.

Anyway, we win.

He runs away to a "safe" distance.

I bet we could still zap him from here, but we let him go. He runs away for good this time.

: "....."

Shabon runs in now that the danger is gone.

: "Shabon!"

: "Are you all right?"

: "I'm okay. This person came to my rescue."

: "Well, thank you for helping Shabon. I really appreciate it."

Toppo, who talks even less than Geddoe and Jacques, bows and plays a little something on his violin as thanks.

: "Don't worry. Go back to your work."

: "Yes... That's right, but..."

Suddenly, she looks very dispirited.

: "......?"

The scene cuts to Nei and Geddoe having a more private conversation.

: "Yes. We're not able to make as much as we used to anywhere now. We've been trying to find a good place to perform,"

Toppo and Shabon are running in circles around the fountain. It's sort of cute.

: "Try Budehuc Castle."

: "Budehuc Castle? Let's see. It may be worth going. People do gather there, after all."

Hmm, people gathering at a castle in a Suikoden game. You don't say.

:toot: :toot: :toot:

Next, we run back to Scott at Brass Castle.

: "Good work! I'll buy them from you. How much were they? 2000 potch? Is that all? I'll pay you 2500."

: "Good enough."

: "Great. This should do it..."

: "Come again, come again!"

Yay, money!

: "Because you traded deer antlers with me, I'll trade news with you. Budehuc is renting out space to businesses. Good idea, eh?"

You don't say. Still, if even Scott has learned about this, I feel like it won't be long before they run into trouble with the council. Hopefully he's just knowledgeable as his trade, I guess.

: "I know about it."

: "You do? Really? Tell me where it is! I want my own shop. That would be a perfect location. Let's investigate at once, Waurenhyte!"

: "After you..."

:woop:

And that's a wrap for now. Next time, we head to Caleria!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, it's certainly nice to meet a nice elf for once... (There's usually, like, one per game, right?)

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Yep. They're few and far-between, but Suikoden does like to give you at least one elf that's not a huge rear end in a top hat. Of course, there's only two elves in this one, and we've seen them both. Nei is nice, and Roland isn't too terrible, so elves in this games are practically saints compared to others in the series.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
So wait, do you choose from a selection from the Treasure Box, or do you get all of that stuff?

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
You get aaaalllll the stuff. :getin:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You get all the things, and I think most of the stuff is guaranteed to be in there the first time. If you return and the boss has respawned, you get a smaller and more random selection.

I like Dominic because they obviously made an effort to show that not all the Karayans are the same. This one decided to move to VdZ and become an armorsmith.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I always thought Toppo was an elf too.

Because, well...he has a silly name and hangs out with Nei.

I guess he's just a really ugly quiet guy.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Holy hell, that salt is expensive! Looks like Frey's hoarding has led to a world wide shortage.

And holy hell times two, Guillaume is such a creep. Such. A. Creep. Suikoden has its share of murderous asshats, but I can't really think of anyone who can match him in sheer :gonk:.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
:whoptc: Guillaume had me in stitches.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

quote:

Now that we've met Thomas, we've come to one of the biggest staples of the Suikoden series. We can now recruit people, and send them over to Budehuc castle.

Normally this happens when you start amassing an army, but that isn't really the case for this game. We can start recruiting as soon as we've met Thomas and seen his castle. Of course, at the moment only Geddoe has done this, so were we to switch to Chris or Hugo, they wouldn't be able to recruit until they had also met him.

I thought you said all three of the factions basically stayed independent of each other. But if all three of our main characters meet this out guy, they all send their backup troops to him? That seems strange. I would have thought they each get their own castles or something.

Eruza
Sep 4, 2011
^^Edit: For now all 3 characters are just helping Thomas get businesses, so it's fine that they're all going to the same place.

Hah, Geddoe's reaction to that bird is just so hilarious. I've never recruited Scott using him so I've never seen his reaction. Also, I usually try to get more money out of Scott, mostly because the first time I played this game, I got those antlers for way more than 2500 potch because I forgot that Vinay had it cheap. I think I got it from Duck Village or something? Now it's just funny to have him fork over 3500 or 4000 (I can't remember how much you can ask from him before he quits) for something that cost me barely a couple hundred potch.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Guillame is the king of "Stranger Danger" in this scene. Why is he chasing a little (Chinese?) girl? Why does he need a trident?

It doesn't matter one bit. He has to be stopped and that's all there is to it.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

FairGame posted:

I always thought Toppo was an elf too.

Because, well...he has a silly name and hangs out with Nei.

I guess he's just a really ugly quiet guy.

Yeah, he's just a really ugly quiet guy.

vilkacis posted:

Holy hell, that salt is expensive! Looks like Frey's hoarding has led to a world wide shortage.

Look at your life, Frey. Look at your decisions. What have you done to the economy?

vilkacis posted:

And holy hell times two, Guillaume is such a creep. Such. A. Creep. Suikoden has its share of murderous asshats, but I can't really think of anyone who can match him in sheer :gonk:.

RabidWeasel posted:

:whoptc: Guillaume had me in stitches.

He's super creepy, but I can't really hate him because he's sort of hilariously ridiculous. And it's awful that I can't take him seriously when he's that supremely hosed up, but I just can't.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I thought you said all three of the factions basically stayed independent of each other. But if all three of our main characters meet this out guy, they all send their backup troops to him? That seems strange. I would have thought they each get their own castles or something.

Eruza posted:

^^Edit: For now all 3 characters are just helping Thomas get businesses, so it's fine that they're all going to the same place.

Yup. All three are pretty much independent, but everyone they recruit go to Thomas's castle. So even though these guys have been sent to the castle, Chris and Hugo wouldn't be able to convince them to leave, where Geddoe would. It'll make more sense to have them go there as we move on in the story, but for now just think of it as lending Thomas some people for business.

The ones I've been getting with Geddoe are mostly support/shop characters, though. So their services will be open to all of our heroes. Geddoe could take them out as support characters (and some of them would be rather good), but then their shops wouldn't be open, so that's not happening.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Basically, when one character recruits, only that character can add the recruit to their party. However, they'll still appear at budehuc and do any functions there that they have.

I'm a little surprised yokaiy got Nei at this point actually. Geddoe's team is pretty much set for most of the game (that is, you can't kick anyone out of the party), so getting Nei, Toppo, and Shabon with him means they're not accessible as party members for now. Granted, Toppo sucks and the other two need quite a lot of skill building to really shine, but anyway.

I'd normally pick them up with Thomas, in part because Thomas is actually threatened by GUilamme's duel here and humiliating him with loss to a hobbit makes me happy. But also because I like doing all recruitment possible with him out of habit.

If you really wanted a bujutsu teacher at this point, one is automatically at Budehuc (we didn't see him, but he's there). But if memory serves that's the only one Geddoe has once Karaya burns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
I almost thought you'd be doing what I did, and start the quest with Augustine.

Funny thing is, I utilize the speed-up function of PCSX2, and sometimes it has trouble reversing it, so the emotes he gives when sped up are pretty funny. Try it sometime.

Also, I would like to agree to a previous LP thread post of this game (TWD's) that imagines Guillaume talking like Frank Nelson ("EEEE-yesssssss?"). I cannot not hear him like that now.

I'm also waiting until near the end to play Thomas, for the aforementioned "give Thomas as much business as possible" idea.

AMReese fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 28, 2013

• Locked thread