Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
So, Red Rose Rune. The actual effect is 2x damage to one enemy, all allies become Unfriendly. As previously discussed, unites are generally subpar in Suikoden III. Now that we have a full party and a few weapon levels, Thomas/Cecile's Utmost Effort is something we don't strictly need, and we're quite a long ways from the other two useful unites. So effectively it's 2x damage all day every day.

Now, Suikoden III treats physical damage a bit differently than previous games, due to Swing. So what you want to remember is that the 2x damage is based on your full attack string, not just your base attack. It accounts for your swing score. You'll remember that the Rose Broach gave +1 swing? If you've the patience, you can go back to the Iskay shop every time it's rare buys respawn (I believe every half hour, like the treasure bosses? Something like that) and buy multiple; nothing's stopping you from filling all three of Augustine's accessory slots with them, and indeed that's what you should be doing. Those Swing bonuses stack, so while he has a base max Swing of B, you can readily get him up to A+. On a 1H sword user, that's about four hits. Then 2x for Red Rose.

So yeah the narcissist is one of the top five physical attackers in the game. For extra special hilarity, he also has a locked armor, a Custom Tunic. Suikoden III blatantly regimented its equipment tiers. There's Heavy Armor, Chainmail, Leather, Tunics, and Robes, availabe in Worn, Old, New, Blessed, Premium, and Custom qualities. While Tunics are on the low end for armors, Augustine essentially starts with endgame armor locked on him. At level 12 or so, in chapter 1. So yeah, if you rush out his Swing score and dork around a bit for Rose Broaches, you've got an unstoppable juggernaut with a foppish little mustache. It's awesome.

Yes I know there's an upgraded Rose Broach that lets Augustine hit S rank swing. I figured it didn't matter really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I'd play more JRPGs where the most exciting thing that happens is that your librarian locks himself in the basement for a week. :downs:

yokaiy posted:

I buff up everyone's weapons because why not, putting everyone at level 8 except Augustine, who actually starts out with a level 9 weapon anyway.

So jealous :negative:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Red Rose Rune is also apparently Unlimited Rose Works.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

How long does the animation take and is it skippable?

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Zosephine posted:

What? How is Hugo shorter than Thomas?

I thought he was for some reason. I'll have to check the next time they're standing next to each other. (Which won't be for a while.) Hugo is on the short side, though, and there's some in-game dialogue that states how worried he is about his height. Now that I think about it, the Saint Loa Knights might be shorter, though. I know for a fact that a certain bishop is shorter than Hugo, and I think shorter than Thomas as well.

Either way. Thomas is short. Hugo is short. Twaikin is shorter.

vilkacis posted:

So jealous :negative:

Heh heh. I also didn't have to buff Watari, since he starts with a weapon level 8. :smuggo:

Xander77 posted:

How long does the animation take and is it skippable?

If it's skippable, then I have no idea how to. The whole thing takes like 40 seconds, give or take? Not too terribly long, but long enough that you'll get sick of it if you use it too often. It's hard for me to judge on an emulator, though, and I forget how long it was when I was playing on the console.

yokaiy fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 11, 2013

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Good question Sebastian, how did Eike get down there?

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.
Ah, Yokaiy. I see you and I play the same song when we go to the auditorium :allears: I just can't ever get enough of that song.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Endorph posted:

King of Narcissists, do you have enough roses?

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

UmbreonMessiah posted:

Ah, Yokaiy. I see you and I play the same song when we go to the auditorium :allears: I just can't ever get enough of that song.

It was also, conveniently, first on the list of songs to have them play.

The song is here, by the way, and is a battle theme. Also, the video has some excellent Karaya Village art.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

yokaiy posted:

Either way. Thomas is short. Hugo is short. Twaikin is shorter.

Fortunately, this critical information was provided in the Suikoden III artbook.

[EDIT: Oops, sorry about the spoilers. That was pretty boneheaded.]

Pokeytax fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 11, 2013

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Great, but please use spoiler tags. On A LOT of those. Actually, most of those. Please. I'm begging you.

e: Or just take them out entirely. In fact, I'd prefer that.

yokaiy fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 11, 2013

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Pokeytax posted:

Fortunately, this critical information was provided in the Suikoden III artbook. Is Fubar really two Karayan soldiers in a suit? Science can tell us.

That sure is a lot of people we haven't met yet. Good job!

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Xander77 posted:

That sure is a lot of people we haven't met yet. Good job!

So, how about another round of "Yokaiy Draws Things To Get Off The Page."

Any requests?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Not as good, but a question: I thought Kathy had a minigame?

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

OddObserver posted:

Not as good, but a question: I thought Kathy had a minigame?

She does indeed. It's a racing game. I'll show it off some time later, but you race on horses for prizes. As a nice touch, Hugo will race on Fubar if he is in the party, and Chris will race on her white horse.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

yokaiy posted:

Any requests?
The castle doggie sure has a lot of doghouse models. Some of our party members probably suggested their own versions of said doghouse that were a bit too... out there, to implement ingame.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Xander77 posted:

The castle doggie sure has a lot of doghouse models. Some of our party members probably suggested their own versions of said doghouse that were a bit too... out there, to implement ingame.

It was too sparkly and smelled too much like perfume for Koroku's tastes. There were also thorns.

Pokeytax posted:

[EDIT: Oops, sorry about the spoilers. I'm not used to this.]

No problem, man. Thanks for fixing it so quickly. :unsmith:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yokaiy posted:

Any requests?
Everyone being horrified by the Red Rose Rune?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Endorph posted:

I think it's less horror and more "ugh not this poo poo again".

Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
Hold on a second with Augustine. I didn't get swing up that high. When I did 3 rose brooches I S ranked his parry and counter attack. One of those two I can't remember. Different versions?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

There are two kinds of rose brooches, but they both only raise swing.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Endorph posted:

: "I'm going to kill him now. Objections?"

: "None!"

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Fun fact: Shizu is the only elevator person in the series who doesn't claim to have invented the elevator.
I'd argue Suikoden V's elevator crew.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

yokaiy posted:

:magical:

That Furrfly just exploded.

Bloom goes the dynamite

Yeah.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
This is the LP that keeps on giving.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Man, and I was STILL reeling from Calax's avatar's majesty.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Well this is just god drat fantastic.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, that's killer, thank you.

Uh...second request: Geddoe's team as playing card people. With their Karayan guest as Ten, of course. ?? (apologies if this is out of line)

Apple Syrup
Jan 21, 2012

Every story is merely a matter of perspective.

One event seems like something to one person while it is seen as something different by another.

That. I. Wow...

Hm, now that I look at this post, isn't there an infirmary or something where Mio is posted at inside the castle? One of the rooms gets converted or something...
Gah! It's been a long time since I've played this and seeing this makes me want to play this again.

So, I take it that we're just doing Hugo, Chris, Geddoe, Thomas as the order of chapters we're going through?

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Glad you guys like my doodles. :haw:

Speedball posted:

Man, that's killer, thank you.

Uh...second request: Geddoe's team as playing card people. With their Karayan guest as Ten, of course. ?? (apologies if this is out of line)

And with that, I think I'm done drawing things for a little while. :downsgun:

Apple Syrup posted:

That. I. Wow...

Hm, now that I look at this post, isn't there an infirmary or something where Mio is posted at inside the castle? One of the rooms gets converted or something...
Gah! It's been a long time since I've played this and seeing this makes me want to play this again.

So, I take it that we're just doing Hugo, Chris, Geddoe, Thomas as the order of chapters we're going through?

Heh.

I believe so, yes. I'll have to track her down, I kind of forgot to hit up most of the rooms in the castle.

Nah, we're doing a sort of strange order, for the sake of trying to keep the story the most coherent we can. Chris is up next, actually.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Speedball posted:

Aww, I was hoping for a proper card style:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

In what language are kings still labeled K, but queens labeled A and jacks labeled B?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
One that's not using a Latin alphabet: notice that that 'A' doesn't quite look right, as the crossline is low, and the sides aren't straight. That would be
because it's the Cyrillic 'de' (Д), compare with the Greek Delta (Δ)
Russian fits:
Король
Дама
Валет

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 12, 2013

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
I'm most used to your standard deck of cards, so that's what I used for reference.

Though, cards are hard no matter what you're using as reference. Patterns are fun as hell, but too many can make me want to stab myself sometimes. (You can tell I did Aila last because she has the least of them, haha...) And Medieval European clothing isn't my strong-suit either. Having them reflect over a line in the middle would have been way easier than the weirdo reflection of the cards I used though.

OddObserver posted:

One that's not using a Latin alphabet: notice that that 'A' doesn't quite look right, as the crossline is low, and the sides aren't straight. That would be
because it's the Cyrillic 'de' (Д), compare with the Greek Delta (Δ)
Russian fits:
Король
Дама
Валет

Oh, cool. Russian.

I don't know a thing about Russian, so it always looks like really weird English to me. And then I try to pronounce it in my head and it's dumb. :downs:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I'd suggest that the party "Unfriendly" status appears not as a result of disgust, but rather feelings of being inadequate - they know they simply can't compare to summoning Rose Dimension.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Endorph posted:

I am the petal of my rose
Water is my body and sun is my blood
I have picked over a thousand roses
Unknown to Death, Nor known to Life
Have withstood pain to pick many roses
Yet, those hands will never hold anything
So as I pray, unlimited rose works.

Hmmm, that didn't come out quite as well as I wanted. Couldn't come up with anything good for lines 4 and 6.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Khisanth Magus posted:

I am the petal of my rose
Water is my body and sun is my blood
I have picked over a thousand roses
Unknown to Death, Nor known to Life
Have withstood pain to pick many roses
Yet, those hands will never hold anything
So as I pray, unlimited rose works.

Hmmm, that didn't come out quite as well as I wanted. Couldn't come up with anything good for lines 4 and 6.

Unknown to vanity, Nor known to pride
Have withstood pain to find beauty
Yet these hands will never wither

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Poetry! :swoon: About Augustine! :syoon:

So, how about we finally talk about those Karayans!

I've already covered Hugo, and with him the basics of the clan fashion, but we can find things to discuss, I'm sure. So let's start off with his (now dead) best friend, Lulu.

Lulu's design is much more simple than Hugo's. It's also much softer looking, which makes sense given the age difference, and brain power difference. Lulu isn't as smart or as attentive as Hugo, and so he looks a bit dull, even in colors. While Hugo's colors are vibrant reds and browns, Lulu has some dull greens and purples, giving his outfit a colder feel. Which I guess works. Since he's cold as death now.

That was awful, I'm sorry Lulu.

Actually, all the other Karayans have a colder color scheme than Hugo.

Lucia is strong. Her outfit is filled with bold patterns, some nice contrast between the black bits and the colored bits, and engineered to show off those shoulder and leg muscles. It's also engineered not to get in her way if she needs to beat down an invader to protect her clan. Her jewelry, there to show off her rank and power, aren't in places they'd get in the way of anything. Also, her belt makes her look like a Machoke, and that is pretty awesome.

Luce is a kind, motherly woman with a big heart. Thus, she needed to be soft and approachable looking. Her necklace is large and round, her dress is long and round, and she is large and round and inviting. Even the patterns on her clothes -- which she has just as any other Karayan -- are simple and rounded. The zigzag on her necklace has rounded tips, and the stripes on the bottom of her dress and her sash are circles if you consider that they go around the entire piece of fabric. Honestly, she's the kind of person you go cry to when you've had a bad day, and she looks the part.

Jimba is actually similar in overall feel to Lucia. He doesn't have much excess in accessories or dangly bits, and he's not trying to hide his muscle tone. Because he's a warrior, and he has to look the part. It's vaguely worth noting that his outfit is a bit more padded than the other Karayans. He has extra wrist bands under his bracelets, and he's got an extra sash under his belt. He's even got an undershirt on under his shirt. The man must like layers. And different tones of blue and yellow. Also worth noting, he's the only one who's bracelets appear to have been created as two pieces rather than one.

Now that I'm really looking at him, his clothes feel like a cross between Lucias and Beechams.

Beecham takes his Lucia-similarities further than Jimba did. He is a warrior, and one that acts as Lucia's right-hand man, so he can't afford to have any unnecessary bits to his costume. His clothing (aside from his pants) is fitted very well, he has a headband to keep his hair out of his eyes, and he's only got two pieces of jewelry -- a necklace and some earrings -- and both are small and rigid-looking, so I imagine they don't bounce around or get in the way much either. Clothes aside, this man is quite grizzled looking, what with scars everywhere and facial hair. You can tell he's a rugged war veteran just by a glance. Which he is. So that's good.

Aila is being left out since I'd like to include her with the 12th Unit. And I'll be including Dominic and Anne with the shop keepers. Holy cow, I never realized just how many Karayans are playable in this game.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
It makes sense. Hugo is sort of the 'default' hero (he most closely resemble the archetypal jrpg protagonist afterall), so naturally his home town has the most recruits. Although some of the difference is also the other two mains having large core teams where Hugo's cast is mostly supporting so he can have a rotating cast (again fitting with him being more analogous to Tir/Riou).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

Forget the other one, that is Yaranaika Dude.

• Locked thread