Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

Even my tail feathers concur.

vilkacis posted:

I dunno, it kind of assumes the reader is familiar with a meme that's upwards ten years old by now.

Don't worry, I got your joke in less than five whole minutes! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Chris Chapter 2.2 - The Six Knights are Too Much For You

Hello, and welcome back. Last time, we beat the Lizards back into their Hollow, and this time we're going to defeat them here.

: "Don't get too excited, Borus."

: "Why not, Percival? We should relish the chance to avenge Captain Galahad's death and get back at the barbarians for their deception! I say there's plenty to get riled up about."

You may recall Borus admitting to Percival that the last time he got excited, he ended up doing some things he regretted. In this case, Percival's advice is very sound, but the others are in the dark about the problem from last time, so they don't see it that way.

Percival is never one for making scenes unless he's teasing, so he doesn't push the matter any further, instead trusting Borus to at least attempt to keep his cool this time.

: "Milady, I will take up position at the rear to observe the progress of the battle. Please be careful."

Salome and Louis take up the back line, in that they'll just stand clear of all the things that are actually going on. He'll act as a save point, though, and has that line if you try to speak to him again.

We now have Leo and Percival available to us for the first time. You'll notice that they're a bit below Chris's level, but not as much as Roland. You'll also notice that their order is all messed up, which will bite me in the rear end in a few moments, before I remember to change it.

Battle has already broken out right outside of the Great Hollow entrance. Our goal is to reach the front entrance, which is only a few strides away, but there are "random" battles between there and here.

I say "random" because I am pretty sure they are actually scripted, but they don't have any intro or anything and just pop up like your normal random battle. We're up against full parties of Lizard Fighters, and while they're not the most dangerous of enemies, you can expect to see a few of my men go down during battles. They hit hard, but they're not overwhelming. The only real thing to note is that we can't run from these battles.

So, now that we have the full group of Knights, we can perform the Knight B unite attacks. There are three different versions, but all do effectively the same thing. It can be done with Chris/Percival/Borus, Chris/Percival/Leo, or Chris/Borus/Leo.

Knight A, if you were wondering, is between Borus and Percival, and requires them to be in the same pair.

Knight B is sort of lovely because it wastes 3 peoples' attacks for only hitting one enemy, but let's show it off anyway.

The three knights in question all do their casting animation.

Then, they charge at the enemy.

It does pretty good damage, but, like I said, isn't really worth it.

So let's talk about our two new knights, starting with Percival.

Percy is very close to Chris at this point in the game. He hits about the same (really, he should be hitting for less, so I guess he got lucky here), but he's perhaps a bit squishier than she is in most cases. However, he is surprisingly good at dodging, and learns to parry pretty well, so his being a bit less structurally sound balances out.

As such, if he gets ganged up on, he can go down fairly easily, so he's probably better for the back lines. He also makes a good emergency-caster, which is another reason he should probably chill in back.

Interestingly, and perhaps erring on the side of cute, Chris will berserk if Percy goes down in battle. It's revealed in the manga that he was the first of the Six Knights to really befriend her, and even in the game it is hinted at a few times that she is the closest with him, albeit in a non-romantic way, so her going berserk for him is actually quite fitting.

She doesn't give a crap when Roland goes down, though. He actually went down earlier, but she only berserked later. I dunno, she might berserk for Borus and Salome as well, but I wouldn't put money on it.

And then there's Leo. This is pretty much what he's paid to do.

He hits hard and can take a lot of hits, but you won't see him doing much dodging or anything. He's also the slowest of the knights. For reference, Percival is the fastest.

Anyway, I fix up the order and toss some medicines around, and we make ready to take on the second batch of Lizards. There are three, by the way, before we reach the front entrance.

Holy wow, the second group really hates Percival. Of the six, four of them wouldn't give the poor guy a break. By the magical powers of medicines and Water Runes (of which he comes with one already slapped on), he stayed afloat for the rest of the battle, and all the way to the entrance.

Why are you the one making this challenge, Borus? Shouldn't that be Chris's thing?

Shiba and a small group of generics rush out to take up the offer.

: "I, Shiba of the Lizard Clan's figher units, will challenge you! You inferior hardheads know nothing of the honor of fighting."

Shiba is still as dangerous as ever. Not to belittle the other Lizards, of course, because they still aren't what I would call anything less than challenging, but they aren't Shiba.

I concentrate most of my efforts into taking down Shiba as quickly as possible, but Chris/Borus/Percival doesn't do nearly as much damage as I'd like, and the other two knights don't finish off any of the mooks either.

The Lizard mooks can pretty consistently do about 50 damage to everyone but Leo, and while that's not as good as how they were doing last chapter, it's still nothing to sneeze at.

Chris/Borus/Leo does a bit better than the last unite, which is good.

But Shiba is still hanging in there. :argh: What is he made of? I've hit him for like 700+ damage already!

One of the generics gets a lucky hit on Chris, combined with a normal potshot after, and Chris promptly goes down.

Thus prompting the rest of the knights to fly into a rage.

Have I mentioned before how I really enjoy the relationship-based berserking in this game?

Yeah, so the rest of the battle ends up actually being easier once she falls.

Everyone just starts hitting like champs.

It was getting a little close in regards to Leo, though, so Percy takes some time off of slaughter-duty to patch up the big man.

More killing happens.

Even Roland is almost hitting 90 damage.

Roland why do you suck so much? I miss Jacques.

And finally, Chris is avenged. Percival is hanging out just off-screen.

Levels are had, as well as potch.

Shiba and his cohorts run back inside.

In response to how well this is going, Salome rides up.

: "Events seem to be going well, Captain."

: "Let's shove those barbarians back inside their grimy little holes! Ready, Percival?"

I believe this is aimed specifically at Percival because of his "don't go overboard" comment before.

: "Your actions have already overstepped those bounds."

Chris turns her head back to the front and scowls at the newcomers.

A mix of Lizards and Karayans have emerged to counter the knights, with Lucia in the lead.

The fighters all ready weapons, but Lucia holds out a hand to restrain them. They keep their weapons ready, but make no move to proceed without her say-so.

Lucia takes a few steps forward, resting her hand on her hip haughtily.

: "What?!"

He makes ready to charge, but Chris stops him.

She rides forward a few paces.

: "I admire your coming forward personally once more."

: "You have a treacherous tongue."

Lucia's smirk is crushed as Chris retaliates, and she scowls bitterly.

: "And you, White Maiden, come with the treacherous sword that took lives from my clan. You hold that bloodied sword of yours even now!"

Does Lucia know if Hugo is alive at this point or not? I don't remember. I feel like not, though.

Salome jumps in to defend Chris's honor at her silence, but Lucia is already prepared for a comeback.

: "Your type of 'honorable' war? Karayans do not think of a sneak-attack massacre as being war or honorable!"

Dupa throws in his two cents as well.

: "But... that was..."

This time, Roland speaks up.

: "It was inevitable! Such is war."

Oh, boy, this could get dicey.

Or, it may have, but a messenger runs up to the front.

: "What is it?"

: "Sir! The Harmonian army has reached eastern Grassland! We must retreat! Immediately!"

The Harmonian army? Somehow I don't think they're talking about all the mercenary spy units.

: "Exactly where did this message come from?"

: "Fron Vinay del Zexay, sir!"

: "From the Council?"

But how would the Council hear about that before us? We're further east than the capital, if that's indeed where the Harmonians are coming from.

The army starts its retreat, but Chris rides to the Grasslanders for some parting words.

: "We must part, for now. I await our next meeting."

She hesitates once more before leaving.

: "My name is Chris Lightfellow. Until next time."

With that, the Zexen army returns to the Brass Castle. Chris finds herself musing over the events in the company of Salome.

: "I haven't any idea yet. We only just heard from the Council."

: "I see."

: "Do not worry, milady. Please rest. You have been pushing yourself too much lately."

: "I cannot rest. Not until all of the men have returned safely to the castle."

We rejoin Chris later that morning, I suppose, as we're in the same room but during the day time.

Before going fishing for story, I decide to spend some of Chris's skill points. Her parry skill is going to pay off greatly, but I really need to start upping her damage, heavy damage, and accuracy. Swing too, but that one can go on the back-burner a bit.

I also sharpen her weapon to level 8. She's still got the cash to throw around for that kind of thing, and drat if I'm not going to make use of it when I actually remember to!

Not much else new is going on. Most of the dialogue remains unchanged for the moment, except that one guy outside the mess hall has reverted to his "I'm hungry" line.

: "Are you sure?"

Going far enough triggers this scene with Salome and another knight. I dunno how I ended up missing the last letter in the cap, but you get the idea.

: "Er, no, not really...."

The soldier shakes his head.

: "Milady... I had them check the information the Council sent yesterday..."

: "Regarding the Harmonian invasion?"

: "Yes. The Grassland invasion is real. The Harmonian army hadn't made any moves for the last fifty years, but now... And, uh..."

: "What?"

: "How do you know?"

: "They sent back information so quickly after the Grassland invasion, they must have known about things all along."

: "That's odd. They usually never act in haste."

: "That is exactly what I mean. It might be that..."

: "It would appear likely, milady."

She turns abruptly, as if to storm off, but Salome isn't quite done talking with her.

: "Well, then, what will we do about it?"

: "I'll question the Council. I won't put our men in needless danger!"

: "But, milady..."

She doesn't stay to hear him beg, and stomps off to get her horse.

And get it she does.

: "You must be exhausted from yesterday's combat."

: "I must fulfill a captain's responsibility. I am leaving, Louis."

: "Y-yes, milady!"

: "Hold on! As a guard, I will accompany you..."

: "Thanks, but I'll be OK. I will be back soon."

Yeah, Borus, stop clinging. Chris is a grown -- and very capable -- young woman, she needs some space.

Well, I'm sure being in the next town over will be enough space, so let's ride!

For some reason the Great Hollow opens up on Chris's map. I... I really don't know why. :iiam:

But we have business with the Zexen Forest, so we go that way instead.

She stalls a bit at the start of the route.

: "Oh dear... I'm not... I don't feel well...."

: "Probably not. Maybe just a little hot."

Chris is perhaps feeling a little exhausted from battle, but I think her mental state is probably worse off.

You see, therein lies the problem of being a reasonably intelligent person.

You start to think of all the things troubling you, and then you start overthinking of all the things troubling you.

And then your thoughts circle around, and you find yourself stuck in a loop.

And it's more aggravating to be thinking in circles than it is to be thinking of your issues.

But the two combined creates a mental bog, where you're slogging through the same ideas over and over.

Until you're not sure how you ever managed to think of anything outside the loop, or how you might do it again.

It's enough to make you ill.

And, at that point.

It's probably better to sleep.

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

Even my tail feathers concur.

I've been playing enough Fire Emblem: Awakening lately to appreciate the fact that this game actually uses the word "bastard" when it wants to.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I can't say I ever liked the :smith: option. It seemed like a natural choice the first time, but the actual results don't mesh well. I mean, we made Roland stick up for us. We don't need no elves man.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

CmdrKing posted:

I can't say I ever liked the :smith: option. It seemed like a natural choice the first time, but the actual results don't mesh well. I mean, we made Roland stick up for us. We don't need no elves man.

:haw:

I'm inclined to agree, for the most part. I think I'm partial to either the first or third options, if I had to choose, but the second one is my least favorite. Once I get off my rear end and sift through my caps again, I'll be posting the alternate dialogue choices.

I at least like how this one informs you of Dupa's succession as Lizard Chief, but I don't think that's exclusive to the fourth option. I'll have to double-check, the four are all kind of meshing together in my mind right now.

Apple Syrup
Jan 21, 2012

Every story is merely a matter of perspective.

One event seems like something to one person while it is seen as something different by another.
Oh, I do believe this means we get to see one of my favorite characters next update.

A previous game protagonist too!...Even though his game technically does not exist outside of Japan

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Oh boy, Roland is talking again. Joy!

...and I had completely forgotten about Chris passing out.

Zosephine posted:

Don't worry, I got your joke in less than five whole minutes! :haw:

Mission accomplished, then! :haw:

Zosephine posted:

I've been playing enough Fire Emblem: Awakening lately to appreciate the fact that this game actually uses the word "bastard" when it wants to.

Moldy onions, what sort of dastardly knave would spew such pegasus dung?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This was the first game in the series that I played, so when I got to this part I was all "what the gently caress are Harmonians?" Without going into much detail, for those not in the know, this means that poo poo just got real.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Fister Roboto posted:

This was the first game in the series that I played, so when I got to this part I was all "what the gently caress are Harmonians?" Without going into much detail, for those not in the know, this means that poo poo just got real.

Once the Harmonians start appearing, that's when poo poo goes down at an exponential pace.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
An Interlude - Chris Has a Couple Options Here

So, when Lucia accuses Chris of being treacherous, Chris has a few things she can say in response. It's actually a dialogue tree, of sorts, but a very simplistic one.

It goes like this:

-A
--> C
--> D

-B
--> E
--> F

You guys voted on the B->F choice being canon for this run.

First, the A part of the tree.

This is probably the choice Lucia likes the most, anyway.

She's very smug about it, at least.

The C part is accepting the duel.

Chris hops off her horse and walks over, scowling.

The two shout one-liners to each other.

And the duel ensues. You might note that Chris has 1 HP here. As you'll recall, duel-HP corresponds with actual HP. Since Chris had gone down in the battle with Shiba just before this, she was pretty close to keeling over from the start.

But whatever, I have save states.

Lucia gets beat up.

The Karayans, who'd been hanging out at the entrance, rush forward to defend Lucia.

The messenger runs up, though, and the scene continues pretty much exactly as it did before, except for one bit.

Instead of calling Chris a coward, Lucia says this instead. Chris also doesn't have her "Don't call me that" line, as it doesn't happen in this version.

The one thing that really bothers me about this choice is that you don't learn that Dupa is the new Lizard chief this way, though I guess you learn it later with no real issues, so it's not like you lose out on the info forever.

Alternatively, for the D choice, we can decide not to accept the duel.

This one is stupid because Chris goes back on this not too far in the future. Possibly next update, actually, though probably the one after. Anyway, it's soon, and this is therefore silly.

It also pisses Lucia off a lot, and I like Lucia.

The Dupa line is also absent from this one, which just makes this choice even dumber.

The messenger thing happens pretty immediately after Lucia's line, and the rest of the scene is unchanged from the one you guys voted on.

Next, the B->E line.

You've already seen the first half of it, of course, which is Chris clamming up and Salome defending her.

After Dupa's line, however, we can choose to defend ourselves or continue to stay quiet.

If we speak up, Chris has this line, but it also ends the scene, as the messenger comes by before Lucia has a chance to talk back.

And then the messenger runs up, and everything else is the same. I like this choice, but it feels really short.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Yeah, B->E is the most natural progression I think. Lucia bringing up the Karaya village catches Chris off guard, but she just needs a moment to reaffirm her decision in the cathedral; much as she might not like it, she's doing the best she can for her country and will continue to do so.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

CmdrKing posted:

Yeah, B->E is the most natural progression I think. Lucia bringing up the Karaya village catches Chris off guard, but she just needs a moment to reaffirm her decision in the cathedral; much as she might not like it, she's doing the best she can for her country and will continue to do so.

I'm inclined to agree with you, but really all but A->D are fine with me. That one is just dumb.

Apple Syrup posted:

Oh, I do believe this means we get to see one of my favorite characters next update.

A previous game protagonist too!...Even though his game technically does not exist outside of Japan

Probably the next one, yes. That person is a pretty cool person, and I will have words regarding them after we meet them.

Fister Roboto posted:

Testekill posted:

Once the Harmonians start appearing, that's when poo poo goes down at an exponential pace.

Yeah, Harmonia is dangerous, and the Harmonian Army is A Big loving Deal. I plan on doing an interlude for Harmonia, but it'd actually fit in a bit better after we start Geddoe 2, so it'll have to wait a bit. I sort of wish I could talk about it now, for those unfamiliar with the series as a whole, but later really is better for it. Alas.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, drat. The Council's just got all kinds of plans. I wonder why they didn't just use the Chris impostor for this.

...unless someone else used the Chris impostor to start the first war to BAIT the Council...

I can tell this is going to get mad complicated.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

yokaiy posted:

I'm inclined to agree with you, but really all but A->D are fine with me. That one is just dumb.

Probably the next one, yes. That person is a pretty cool person, and I will have words regarding them after we meet them.

Yeah, Harmonia is dangerous, and the Harmonian Army is A Big loving Deal. I plan on doing an interlude for Harmonia, but it'd actually fit in a bit better after we start Geddoe 2, so it'll have to wait a bit. I sort of wish I could talk about it now, for those unfamiliar with the series as a whole, but later really is better for it. Alas.

Harmonia is probably the most interesting thing to come out of Suikoden II and III, and then the series' creator left during III's production and we won't know anything more about it.

Medrex
Nov 17, 2012

Triangular. Nuclear. Loops.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Harmonia is probably the most interesting thing to come out of Suikoden II and III, and then the series' creator left during III's production and we won't know anything more about it.

It really is a drat shame, Like Jean and Viki we're left wondering but never knowing.
V seemed to be sort of starting to establish another nation similar to Harmonia (in the whole, militaristic-religion based, looming, mysterious, possible major threat sense) with the Nagarea Theocracy but barely actually mentioned it at all. Kind of seemed like a not-harmonia that harmonia based ideas could be dumped in if Suikoden VI ever became a thing but they still couldn't bring themselves to followup Murayama's story.

Edit:
VVVV I agree, really wanted to find out what they all were or at least what the deal was with some of the established ones was like the eightfold rune or what happened to the Sindar's rune of change. Also I've always wondered if there was was a Rune of Ending that's the counterpart to the Rune of Beginning.

Medrex fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 9, 2013

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

My biggest disappointment is that we never found out about all the True Runes.

Edit: I just noticed we're on page 27.

Ever Disappointing fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 9, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
To give people not familiar with Harmonia a frame of reference, this is like two warring tribes in Gaul being told the Roman loving Army has appeared.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

^

So basically not a problem, then.

My biggest disappointment is that you took your Soul Eater and disappeared somewhere never to be seen again, you jerk! :argh:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

-Soul eater != punishment-

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

-Soul eater != punishment-

Yeah, Soul Eater was actually useful.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Chris Chapter 2.3 - I Am Not Trying To Flirt With You

Is this a memory or a dream? We find ourselves staring at some very Zexen furniture, in a sepia-toned abode.

: "Where is daddy? He promised me he'd be back today. Why isn't he home yet?"

Judging from the use of "daddy" instead of "father," as well as how low to the ground we seem to be, Chris must have been very young when he father disappeared.

: "Lady Chris..."

: "Why isn't he here? He IS coming back today, isn't he?"

: "Lord Wyatt has more business to attend to in the Grasslands today."

Wyatt being her father, if you couldn't tell. Her mother's name was Anna.

: "Grasslands?"

I wonder if Zexen and Grassland have been at war for longer than Chris has been alive?

The memory fades as Chris slowly regains consciousness.

Oh, there we go. Seems like she's okay after all.

: "You gave me quite a fright! All of a sudden you fainted! Lord Salome is right, milady. You work too hard! Please take some rest!"

: "Oh, Louis..."

: "Really, you took me by surprise, my Lady! I didn't know what to do!"

Chris sighs.

: "Sorry, Louis."

: "Er.... Because...."

Oh look, the whole harem showed up to check on her. How sweet.

Leo looks away bashfully pretty much immediately, followed by Borus and Roland once Borus gives his reply.

I'm sure.

: "I just came around to see how you were..."

: "Hmm...."

Percival is, as always, the exact opposite of bashful when it comes to Chris.

: "What's more, they almost bit my head off when I tried to take off your armor to make you more comfortable."

Heh.

: "Precisely!"

: "See?"

He gives Chris a glance that is practically radiating "Can you believe we work with these idiots?"

: Heh heh. I appreciate all your efforts."

Chris is suitably entertained by the bunch.

: "I don't see Salome. Do you know where he is?"

: "He made certain he could carry out the task effectively, so do not fret."

I hope he yelled at them. Or interrogated them. Preferably using torture.

: "He's the one who worries!"

She huffs a bit.

: "Yes. There's no point in staying here if Lady Chris doesn't need us."

Guys. That means you can go now.

:cripes: These knights are hopeless. All of them. Give the lady some space!

You know what? That's a good plan.

How about we go for a nice, relaxing walk around the castle? There's not much to do until we hear back from Salome.

What a lovely day.

Hm, what's Percival up to over there? Is he going out for a ride?

: "Yes, quite. I think all I needed was rest. But I can't stay in bed forever."

: "You look much better. How about a ride to Iksay Village?"

: "Iksay?"

There's actually a dialogue choice here, where you can either have Chris inquire about why Iksay, or say that she's never heard of it before. I feel like, as a Zexen, it makes sense for her to have heard of the place (especially with those NPC girls talking about it), so I didn't put it up for a vote. It's also only like two lines difference anyway.

: "Yes, it's the time of the Harvest Festival!"

Ooh! I remember hearing about that as Thomas.

: "Right. It would be nice to relax for a change."

You can say "no" to his offer, as well, but you're forced to go anyway, and I think Chris could use a festival after all this war stuff.

: "Always a good plan. Ha ha."

She's already beginning to lighten up a bit. :3:

: I'll fetch your horse, then."

"Ha! I get to go on a date with Chris and you don't!"

I'm sorry, that was dumb.

Nothing of interest happens on the way, so let's head to that festival.

Look, they're all decorated and everything!

Food! And booze! And more food and booze!

Ahh, what a nice place this is.

Look at those two dorks in the back, going to a festival in armor.

It's worth noting that, in the manga, the two wear this instead, which I always felt made more sense.

: "You know a lot about it. How so?"

: "I should. I was born here."

: "Is that so? I never knew that."

: "Not much to tell, really."

Lady, you did well, raising a son who would some day have a face and be a star.

: "How have you been, Percy, my baby? You look so regal! Who's this lady? Is she your... Oh my! She looks familiar...."

: "Er..."

"Sorry mum, she's not my wife. Yet."

I'm sorry again. That was also bad.

: "There are fields beyond the hills over there, and the breeze is very pleasant this time of year. But do be careful. If they find our who you are, you'll be mobbed."

Hehe.

She looks so smug, it's sort of excellent.

Well! We've got a lot of people to talk to, so let's get to it! We'll start with the blond woman to the right.

: "Going to the festival, good knight? Relax and enjoy yourself!"

Yes, we plan to. :unsmith:

: "It's been a great festival. That makes me feel so happy. I'd say the Goddess is mighty pleased, too!"

: "Good knight, want some vegetable juice? It tastes delicious. So sweet."

: "Welcome, gentle knight! My wife made this. Won't you try a little?"

: "Hmm. Well, it's a happy event, I know. But everybody's been drinking all day, and the snacks just go in a flash!"

: "Whoooa.... I tell you, I've been boozing all day! I'm sitting in the breeze here sobering up. But we'll be feasting tonight, oh yeah!"

When you talk to this guy, his text box covers him and it's silly looking.

: "You never know when those Grassland types will come poking around. But let's forget about them, at least for today."

The man in the back there is behind the load barrier. That seems to happen a lot in this town, actually.

There's an NPC with the same model right after the load barrier, though, so at least this one doesn't disappear into the aether.

They're a bit hard to see in the background, but the three people behind him say this:

: "When the weather's bad, the windmill spins so fast it's almost scary! Today the weather's nice, so it's turning beautifully!"

: "My fields are down yonder. They did quite well, too. I am grateful for the bounties of nature."

Well, but not as well as Barts's? :haw:

: "I was so busy decorating the town this morning! But now everyone's drinking and having a wonderful time!"

Barts has the nicest fields, right? Percy said the view was nice from next to the windmill, so Chris takes in the sight as recommended.

It really is very pretty. A golden sky, with golden fields in the foreground.

Sunset is approaching, so the sky is becoming just as colorful as the wheat.

: "Ahhh..."

Oh?

: "Who's there?"

Chris turns abruptly towards this mysterious stranger.

My, my. And who is this blond gentlemen?

Nash here is actually a recurring character from the series. However, he is not is Suikoden I, II, IV, or V. He is the star of his own games, the Suikogaiden games, about which I will have words. The Suikogaiden games were never released outside of Japan, because Japan really dislikes shipping visual novel games to other parts of the world, which makes me sad.

He takes up a place right next to her.

: "I am under no obligation to tell you."

Chris, always the charmer, shoots him down.

: "Of course not. But you can choose to tell me."

Nash, always the actual charmer, retorts thusly, throwing Chris off a bit.

: "Errr... I see your point."

: "It's pretty sad when you think of it. The sun sets every day, and we know this. But how often do we take to to ever see it -- and experience its beauty? My missus gets fed up with me for 'wasting the whole day just looking at things.' She says that's why I'll never amount to much in this world."

His wife is hinted -- but never confirmed -- at being Sierra, who was one of the stars in Suikoden II, and owner of a True Rune, the Blue Moon Rune.

: "Your missus?"

: "That's funny."

: "What's funny?"

She turns to him, and scowls.

: "But you're no idiot. Tell me what you want."

: "To be honest, I had an idea who you were."

He turns to face her as well, and drops his nonchalant act.

: "I have been commissioned to investigate the conflict between the Grasslands and Zexen. There are some rumors around, you know, and there's no smoke without fire."

: "It was sheer luck. I heard of a village festival, so I came. Then, when I saw Zexen knights walking in front of me, I decided to take a chance."

: "How did you know it was me?"

He shrugs, once again resuming his care-free behavior.

: "You're small talking again. But you should refrain from such talk."

: "Well, Lady Chris, I have a favor to ask you."

He's cut off at a rumbling sound in the distance.

: "I had not expected they would get here so soon!"

The sky has become a violent, fiery red.

Oh.

Well then.

This could be bad.

: "I'll go with you. There's more we should talk about, and I also know how to handle a sword."

So he says, but he actually uses something else as a weapon.

Nash joins at a higher level than Chris, with pretty decent water magic and accuracy, and a pretty good chance of repelling attacks that hit him. He's a bit on the delicate side, and he could use some skill boosts, but we don't have the time for that now and he can hold his own well-enough.

I feel like we should be evacuating the villagers. The Lizards haven't started their attack quite yet, but that doesn't mean this won't get dangerous.

Oh, well. Never mind. Looks like they have started their attack.

:cripes: Really? I don't feel like this is the best time for puns!

The guy behind her says this:

: "No!! This can't be happening! Not today.... Not on festival day!"

But enough of that, we need to get into the village!

: "Ge-Gentle knight!! The Grassland Army!!"

: "Oh, no.... ohh.... My house... My fields..."

: "Mommy! Daddy! Where are you? Tell me! PLEASE!!"

: "<sob> Stand up! Come on.... Wh-why aren't you moving?"

: "No! Oh, God... We were just laughing.... drinking.... You can't be dead! Don't die!"

The village is, understandably, in chaos.

The Lizards and Karayans are running about Iksay, torching the place and destroying the festival.

: "What's all this?!"

: "Here they come!"

So, we've only got Chris and Nash, but we're also not up against as many Lizards as after the strategy battle.

Nash has some sort of awesome hidden weapon in his left sleeve that he uses to shoot small darts or knives or something right into the gonads of his enemies.

Chris sticks with her sword.

The two of them do about the same amount of damage, for reference.

Chris is a pretty good tank when it comes to this part of the game, but even she can't hang on forever. Luckily, Nash can cast pretty quickly, so he patches her up.

And the duo emerges victorious.

You know, for having met like 5 minutes ago, they make a very good team.

: "Milady!"

: "Glad you're here, Percival!"

: "Good to see you too, milady."

Hooray!

: "Here they come again!"

Now we've got Karayans to deal with as well!

With the addition of Percival, however, they're no problem.

Especially if he keeps dodging like this.

: "I had the villagers flee to the hills for the time being. We'll delay them as long as we can, then retreat ourselves."

: "Got it!"

Another batch comes to fight, but they go the same way as the first.

And a third comes after the second goes down.

Percy is awesome. You see this parry?

Well, he decided that wasn't good enough, and also counter-attacked.

And another group bites the dust.

They'll actually keep coming indefinitely. What we need to do is head for the windmill.

On the way, Shiba will catch up.

: "We must somehow find time to..."

Our mysterious friend steps up to the plate.

: "I suppose you are one of the Lizard Clan's fighting units? Do you always fight without first identifying yourselves?"

: "I am Shiba of the Lizard Clan's fighter units. I am here to battle the leader of the ironheads.... What?"

:allears:

: "Human trash! We'll never forgive your deception."

You're just too polite, Shiba.

The group stops for a chat a bit further up.

: "The Lizards were so busy ransacking the village they didn't even bother looking elsewhere."

: "Let's get to the windmill!"

The other two nod.

And thusly, they get to the windmill.

Nash shrugs in a much more care-free way than he probably should in this situation.

: "Milady, I have been wondering. Who is this ruffian?"

: "Hmph! I am..."

: "drat!"

He turns to face what she's scowling at, as well as Nash, albeit he's much more laid-back than the two knights about the apparent danger.

: "How surprising to run into you, 'White Maiden.' I almost didn't believe my men when they reported you were here. How fotunate!"

: "I am Chris, neither a Zexen hero nor a 'White Maiden,' thank you. I am just one of the Knights protecting Zexen.

She hesitates as Jimba comes closer.

: "You. You look like a Karayan fighter. Then, you can't be..."

: "Then you can tell me about the armor in your village... and the pentacle that a Karayan boy brought to my house!"

: "The boy was following my instructions. It was the promise I made."

Oh boy, this is getting intense.

: "Suit yourself. I'll handle this, if you don't mind, Dupa."

: "As you wish."

So, this duel.

It's really easy.

Jimba went down in about three hits. I assure you, he would have gone down in two if I'd gotten two death blows in a row.

Honestly, I'm not even sure he was trying.

: "Your father would be proud..."

Jimba jumps back up.

He lunges forwards at her.

But turns slightly, and gets in close.

She pushes him away, and takes several steps back.

: "drat! I thought I could catch her off guard. She was too much for me, Dupa."

: "We can't leave things like this!"

: "What is it?"

: "Th-the Zexen Knights have..."

Reinforcements! Good, that was getting dangerous!

: "Yes, sir!"

Dupa turns to Chris.

: "Woman, you have the devil's luck. Bad spirits seem to fight at your side."

: "drat! So be it. I expect to see you again, 'White Maiden.' And honor to have met you, madam."

The Grasslanders start to make their retreat.

The knights ride to Chris's side.

They also dismount at break-neck speed and run to her faster than you'd think some guys in armor would be able to.

: "Milady, are you all right?"

: "I managed to survive, thanks."

: "Percival! Why on earth did you take her to this indecent place?"

Indecent? That's kind of rude, man.

: "Sorry, Borus. I did not anticipate this happening."

: "Call it what you will, I care not. But who was that man, milady?"

Percy, I think you probably do care.

: "That man? The one you probably thought fancied me?"

: "F-fancied?"

Just look at Louis, smiling like a troll in the background there.

Borus, you are getting all up in Percy's face. I think you have spacial issues.

Anyway, this is getting pretty long. Next time, we'll see what damage has been done to Iksay, and head back to the castle.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Wooooo, another best character. I do like how they write Nash as being both highly competent and also flighty and goofy. It's something that makes him really human which contrasts how other games would write a character like him.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Yeah, Vilk and I are just giving out best characters right now. Get 'em while you can, and all that. :haw:

But yeah, I quite like Nash. He takes competency in a vastly different direction from the others in the game, like Geddoe, and I enjoy every moment of it. What a goof-ball. :allears:

e: VVV I like to believe that she wasn't out very long, and they really just spent so long arguing about who should do it that she just woke up instead, but yeah, they're sort of idiots. In the manga, however, they did remove her armor to make her more comfortable.

yokaiy fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 10, 2013

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pervy or not, someone really should have taken off her armor. It's not like she's naked under there you dweebs. That must have been ridiculously uncomfortable.

Medrex
Nov 17, 2012

God my back is in knots just thinking about sleeping in that armor.
Nash is so drat awesome and he made for a great protagonist in the Gaiden games. I like the idea that he and Sierra ended up married since they made for a pretty great/hilarious couple in Gaiden and the story of how they ended up getting together would have been great to read too. Plus if it isn't Sierra the next most likely candidate is his aunt...

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Yeah, going on a date-thing in full armor is pretty silly. Granted, presumably they didn't want to make a character model just for this one scene.

I was about to say this just raises further questions, but I guess just Chris going incognito would be odd to the player.

Apple Syrup
Jan 21, 2012

One event seems like something to one person while it is seen as something different by another.
If I remember the manga, instead of this, Chris and Nash end up in the river or something and then wash up at Thomas' castle... or something like that. Or maybe I'm thinking of something else entirely... have to go looking for my old manga volumes again.

Still, Nash! As I said before, one of my favorite characters. Kind of wonder why he uses that knife launcher thing instead of dual-wielding like in his own games.

Also, Chris' reverse-harem. xD

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Apple Syrup posted:

If I remember the manga, instead of this, Chris and Nash end up in the river or something and then wash up at Thomas' castle... or something like that. Or maybe I'm thinking of something else entirely... have to go looking for my old manga volumes again.

Still, Nash! As I said before, one of my favorite characters. Kind of wonder why he uses that knife launcher thing instead of dual-wielding like in his own games.

Also, Chris' reverse-harem. xD

Because the Grosser...Gross...er, the twin snake swords make the wielders go into berserk rages, and that's not exactly the most useful thing for a spy to have.

Man, I never realized how creepy Nash looks in his portrait. Still an awesome character, though!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

They're piling on top of each other to 'protect the purity of milady'.
HAH :allears:

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Medrex posted:

God my back is in knots just thinking about sleeping in that armor.
Nash is so drat awesome and he made for a great protagonist in the Gaiden games. I like the idea that he and Sierra ended up married since they made for a pretty great/hilarious couple in Gaiden and the story of how they ended up getting together would have been great to read too. Plus if it isn't Sierra the next most likely candidate is his aunt...

I recall, at one point, reading through lovely theories, and there was actually a surprising amount of girls that he could have ended up with. Most of them are pretty far-fetched, of course, because they are lovely theories of people thinking about things too hard, but still.

Apple Syrup posted:

You are correct. Chris duels with Lucia, then Nash butts in and the two of them jump off a cliff and wash up at Budehuc. I both like and don't like it better than how the game does it. Though I guess that's just how I feel about the manga in general. :haw: Good stuff.

Verant posted:

Man, I never realized how creepy Nash looks in his portrait. Still an awesome character, though!

Yah, he looks like a total sleaze-ball. It's actually pretty appropriate, though.

CmdrKing posted:

Yeah, going on a date-thing in full armor is pretty silly. Granted, presumably they didn't want to make a character model just for this one scene.

I was about to say this just raises further questions, but I guess just Chris going incognito would be odd to the player.

Well... That's sort of the case. You'll see why it's sort of not in the next update, though.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

They're piling on top of each other to 'protect the purity of milady'.
HAH :allears:

They are lovely dweebs. :allears:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Heeh. "Percy." :haw:

Not everything in the intro actually shows up in-game, but I can't help but wonder if this part is supposed to be part of this update.

Which kind of makes me wonder if they weren't supposed to change into civilian clothes and it got dropped at some point.

yokaiy posted:

Yeah, Vilk and I are just giving out best characters right now. Get 'em while you can, and all that. :haw:

More like "get 'em while they're still alive" because, you know, Suikoden and all that. :unsmigghh:

Medrex
Nov 17, 2012

yokaiy posted:

I recall, at one point, reading through lovely theories, and there was actually a surprising amount of girls that he could have ended up with. Most of them are pretty far-fetched, of course, because they are lovely theories of people thinking about things too hard, but still.
Yeah I remember people theorizing that it could be Elza, weirdly forgetting that Elza is both dead and more likely to end up with Clive if she wasn't dead.

vilkacis posted:

More like "get 'em while they're still alive" because, you know, Suikoden and all that. :unsmigghh:
I miss Ferid and Arshtat :smith:

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

vilkacis posted:

Heeh. "Percy." :haw:

Not everything in the intro actually shows up in-game, but I can't help but wonder if this part is supposed to be part of this update.

Which kind of makes me wonder if they weren't supposed to change into civilian clothes and it got dropped at some point.

I'm pretty sure that's indeed supposed to be for this update. As for the civilian clothes, I'd say probably yes. The problem lies with Percy, though, not Chris.

vilkacis posted:

Haha.... :smith:

Medrex posted:

Yeah I remember people theorizing that it could be Elza, weirdly forgetting that Elza is both dead and more likely to end up with Clive if she wasn't dead.

Yeah, I don't pretend to understand. I'm mostly just confused as to why so many Suikoden theories, which are so bad, are also so well-known. I remember reading that Elza theory, and that's sort of impressively terrifying. And depressing.

Though I think that the theory that Hugo's dad is Lucretia takes the cake for being dumb.

Oh, and for those new to the series, etc, you know how this goes by now:

Elza and Clive.

Elza was some lady in Suikoden II, Clive was a star in I and II, and they were both also in Suikogaiden. Or, at least Elza was. Pretty sure Clive was too.

e: VVV Whoops, my bad.

yokaiy fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 10, 2013

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Elza was not a star in Suikoden 2, you were just chasing her under the time limit

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

yokaiy posted:

Though I think that the theory that Hugo's dad is Lucretia takes the cake for being dumb.

That would take some doing. Though a few seconds of googling has led me to realize that there are a lot of really, really dumb Suikoden fans out there!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Rather nice update, except for the slaughtered village thing. Jimba's duel was so easily won because he threw the match. He really just wanted to whisper that tip to Chris.

Eruza
Sep 4, 2011
I'm just going to point out what Lucia said in the last update:

Lucia posted:

"Your type of 'honorable' war? Karayans do not think of a sneak-attack massacre as being war or honorable!"

Which is great considering how they did the exact same thing to Iksay, a town which doesn't seem to have any fighters whatsoever.

Apple Syrup
Jan 21, 2012

Chasing Elza in twelve hours while getting all 108 Stars of Destiny. :bang:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Eruza posted:

Which is great considering how they did the exact same thing to Iksay, a town which doesn't seem to have any fighters whatsoever.

It's not surprising. The Karayans were justifiably enraged about their village getting massacred. At times like that it's only human nature that the voices calling for calm and upholding the honour code would be drowned out by the ones calling for a tit-for-tat retaliation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Eruza posted:

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It's not surprising. The Karayans were justifiably enraged about their village getting massacred. At times like that it's only human nature that the voices calling for calm and upholding the honour code would be drowned out by the ones calling for a tit-for-tat retaliation.

It was also largely the Lizard Clan who was behind the attack. They're much more aggressive than the Karayans, as well as a lot more likely to put their honor on hold for the sake of revenge. The Karayans present were probably the ones that were most angry.

And then, also Jimba. Who was there because... he is friends with Dupa? I got nothin'.

• Locked thread