Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medrex
Nov 17, 2012

Triangular. Nuclear. Loops.

yokaiy posted:

Though I think that the theory that Hugo's dad is Lucretia takes the cake for being dumb.
Wow, hadn't heard that... how would... nope, poo poo's dumb, 'aint gonna think about it.

yokaiy posted:

Elza was some lady in Suikoden II, Clive was a star in I and II, and they were both also in Suikogaiden. Or, at least Elza was. Pretty sure Clive was too.
Nash meets Clive in Gaiden if you make the right decisions. Clive was kind of jerk to him.

Medrex fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

Even my tail feathers concur.

yokaiy posted:

And then, also Jimba. Who was there because... he is friends with Dupa? I got nothin'.

He was looking to alarm the man-harem and get up in Chris's grill. :heysexy:

Alert the Man-Harem! Code Red! Suitor off the port bow!

Apple Syrup
Jan 21, 2012

Every story is merely a matter of perspective.

One event seems like something to one person while it is seen as something different by another.
Come to think of it. Most of Chris' man-harem fit a couple of VN archetypes... sort of. Maybe if you squint a touch.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

please stop talking about man-harems

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Apple Syrup posted:

Come to think of it. Most of Chris' man-harem fit a couple of VN archetypes... sort of. Maybe if you squint a touch.
Let's see......

Louis: The shota.
Roland: Shy, quiet type.
Borus: Hot-headed brash type.
Salome: Level-headed, normal type.
Percival: Flirty type.
Leo: Older, more mature type(?).

Yeah. Aside from Leo being the odd one out....the Zexan Knights are flat-out reverse harem VN archetypes. It's...actually kind of hilarious in retrospect.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

yokaiy posted:

Though I think that the theory that Hugo's dad is Lucretia takes the cake for being dumb.

that is amazingly, impossibly dumb, not even on account of impossible genetics.

yokaiy posted:

I'm pretty sure that's indeed supposed to be for this update. As for the civilian clothes, I'd say probably yes. The problem lies with Percy, though, not Chris.

The events at the harvest festival are slightly different in the manga, aside from a lot of optional star cameos, Chris and Percival was in civilian clothes. And I have to admit, the mangaka doing the drawing made her look very, very good in them. (But I'm a sucker for a lady in high boots.)

cdyoung fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 11, 2013

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

AradoBalanga posted:

Let's see......

Louis: The shota.
Roland: Shy, quiet type.
Borus: Hot-headed brash type.
Salome: Level-headed, normal type.
Percival: Flirty type.
Leo: Older, more mature type(?).

Yeah. Aside from Leo being the odd one out....the Zexan Knights are flat-out reverse harem VN archetypes. It's...actually kind of hilarious in retrospect.

Stop.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The important takeaway here is that Percival is mechanically and personality wise by far the best of the Zexen Knights.

I can't think of any Zexen Knight I'd even consider using in the long term except him. Borus is too loving vanilla, Percival legitimately excels at his job.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I find Borus, Percy, and Salome all hew a little too closely to Chris, but in different ways. Roland is just a very boring character in gameplay terms (and an elf in story terms obviously), while Leo niche of uber-tank is useful for some playstyles but not mine. So overall I don't find the Zexen knights are characters I use a whole lot, certainly not as much as Geddoe's crew or Sgt Joe.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The only tank anyone should use is Cecile because:

A) She's actually semi-sorta adept at it, which is honestly the shocking part.

and

B) The concept of her being a party staple is simply funny.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 11, 2013

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

I hesitate to say she's the awesomest of the tanks, for reasons that'll be obvious once we get there. Although she's definitely the adorablest. That said she's probably, statistically, the weakest of the four characters who can uber-tank. Her niche over the other three is having the best damage, which is moot if you're giving her a full tanking setup. The other three have distinct advantages; one is dodgier (for all that Cecile is no slouch here), one has great MP if you want your tank to be a pocket healer, plus doesn't crumple if magic looks at him, and Leo has Adrenalin Power, which I don't think we've seen yet but is useful in case he gets a case of the hit by magics or something.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I hate it when characters in JRPGs (any genres, actually) don't tell each other important information just for giggles, like Jimba here:
"So what if I killed your father, would you kill me for that?"
"Actually, I would"
*duel ensues, Jimba miraculously doesn't get killed*
"Just kidding, I didn't kill him :haw: Or maybe I did, who knows :iiam:".

What's the point?

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Not quite the same really. It's clear, given what he says to her, that Jimba's intentionally manipulating her into some sort of action. His lack of communication is intentional and, without knowing what he wants her to do beyond chase the Flame Champion, we can only guess whether a more direct straight statement would be more effective or not.

Knowing how this ends up, he's probably right, although it's a judgement call. Hopefully I remember to explain when we get there.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Szurumbur posted:

I hate it when characters in JRPGs (any genres, actually) don't tell each other important information just for giggles, like Jimba here:
"So what if I killed your father, would you kill me for that?"
"Actually, I would"
*duel ensues, Jimba miraculously doesn't get killed*
"Just kidding, I didn't kill him :haw: Or maybe I did, who knows :iiam:".

What's the point?

For that matter...
"We're attacking Iksay because you attacked the Lizardmen and Karaya!"
"We did that because you attacked at the peace summit!"
"We did that because you personally attacked the Lizardmen and killed their chief!"
"I didn't do that at all!"
"We saw you there!"
"Hold on, let's sit down and figure this out, something odd's going on..."

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

yokaiy posted:

Now we've got Karayans to deal with as well!

For Kara-ying out loud!

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

CmdrKing posted:

Not quite the same really. It's clear, given what he says to her, that Jimba's intentionally manipulating her into some sort of action. His lack of communication is intentional and, without knowing what he wants her to do beyond chase the Flame Champion, we can only guess whether a more direct straight statement would be more effective or not.

Knowing how this ends up, he's probably right, although it's a judgement call. Hopefully I remember to explain when we get there.

I suppose that would be the point, but I'd prefer if she actually did kill him and he spouted his cryptic advice as his final words :colbert:

I had probably picked a bad example of what I meant (Bruceski has far better one), but don't deny me my indignation at JRPG writing :arghfist::saddowns:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

No one's denying you your indignation, but you should probably save it for the parts that deserve it. Otherwise you'll run out just before you really need it.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

vilkacis posted:

No one's denying you your indignation, but you should probably save it for the parts that deserve it. Otherwise you'll run out just before you really need it.

I guess, I hope yokaiy's PC doesn't explode until then :v:

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Captain Oblivious posted:

The important takeaway here is that Percival is mechanically and personality wise by far the best of the Zexen Knights.

I can't think of any Zexen Knight I'd even consider using in the long term except him. Borus is too loving vanilla, Percival legitimately excels at his job.

CmdrKing posted:

I find Borus, Percy, and Salome all hew a little too closely to Chris, but in different ways. Roland is just a very boring character in gameplay terms (and an elf in story terms obviously), while Leo niche of uber-tank is useful for some playstyles but not mine. So overall I don't find the Zexen knights are characters I use a whole lot, certainly not as much as Geddoe's crew or Sgt Joe.

Agreed with the Percy being the best of the knights part. He's the most interesting of the bunch, I think, and he seems like a genuinely cool guy who is friendly and supportive of Chris, and not flipping out about her womanly charms all the time or anything.

Mechanically, I like him because -- while he's very similar to Chris -- he's also less likely to be hit by anything, as he's quite good at both dodging and parrying, so I can trust him in some of the more dangerous situations to not get too overwhelmed, and if he does he can toss some heals around and everything's good again. I guess he's the closest to a Karayan we can get in the Knights, and that just happens to be my favorite play-style. I like speedy characters. :shrug:

Speaking of heals, though, have you noticed how many Water Runes are popping up in Chris's chapters? We've had Salome, Nash, and Percival. That's almost half of her cast so far. The game devs just really liked throwing her in parties with healers.

Xander77 posted:

For Kara-ying out loud!

:arghfist::saddowns:

Szurumbur posted:

I guess, I hope yokaiy's PC doesn't explode until then :v:

Oh dear. Should I be worried? Is there some sort of LPer curse where our computers explode or something? :ohdear:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

yokaiy posted:

Oh dear. Should I be worried? Is there some sort of LPer curse where our computers explode or something? :ohdear:
Well, for the Fire Emblem LPs there is such a curse. Not sure about other games, though.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

yokaiy posted:

Agreed with the Percy being the best of the knights part. He's the most interesting of the bunch, I think, and he seems like a genuinely cool guy who is friendly and supportive of Chris, and not flipping out about her womanly charms all the time or anything.

Mechanically, I like him because -- while he's very similar to Chris -- he's also less likely to be hit by anything, as he's quite good at both dodging and parrying, so I can trust him in some of the more dangerous situations to not get too overwhelmed, and if he does he can toss some heals around and everything's good again. I guess he's the closest to a Karayan we can get in the Knights, and that just happens to be my favorite play-style. I like speedy characters. :shrug:

Speaking of heals, though, have you noticed how many Water Runes are popping up in Chris's chapters? We've had Salome, Nash, and Percival. That's almost half of her cast so far. The game devs just really liked throwing her in parties with healers.

:arghfist::saddowns:

I don't remember his stats, but I am quite fond of Salome.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

AradoBalanga posted:

Well, for the Fire Emblem LPs there is such a curse. Not sure about other games, though.

Yeah it's a generalized thing. Happens to people regardless of series or genre of LPs. Some victims of it are worse than others and many LPs are completed (or abandoned!) without ever running into such a problem. ... just like any other 'curse'.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

On average, you're going to run into some sort of computer trouble about once a year. Of course, you won't rush to share it with other forum posters unless said trouble is delaying highly anticipated updates. :ms:

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

yokaiy posted:

Look at those two dorks in the back, going to a festival in armor.

Well, there WAS that cotton candy incident with Percy...

ruttivendolo
Oct 31, 2010

by elpintogrande

yokaiy posted:

My, my. And who is this blond gentlemen?

Nash here is actually a recurring character from the series. However, he is not is Suikoden I, II, IV, or V. He is the star of his own games, the Suikogaiden games, about which I will have words. The Suikogaiden games were never released outside of Japan, because Japan really dislikes shipping visual novel games to other parts of the world, which makes me sad.

It was never released outside Japan but someone finished translating the first one a few months ago :heysexy:

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

ruttivendolo posted:

It was never released outside Japan but someone finished translating the first one a few months ago :heysexy:

I wish there was a place to talk about it, I half tried posting in the Visual Novel thread but people were too busy discussing rape and high school girls.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
I would actually love for us to talk about it here, if you want.

I was planning on at least doing a blurb or two on the Suikogaidens, and was even playing with the idea of doing a miniature-LP of it for the thread. (If anyone else wants to do it instead, by the way, feel free and I'll include it in the OP.) It's relevant to our interests, as well as not particularly spoilery since it covers events that either overlap with the second game or happen before the third game starts.

I'm sad that only the first has been translated, though, since it's the second Suikogaiden which really set the stage for III to take over.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011
I think I would have liked the second one better, the first elaborates on some of the plot in Suikoden II at points where it really should have been left alone.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

Oh! If you really don't mind... in the spare time I have between blithely posting enormous spoilers to this thread, I have been helping with the translation. I didn't want to step all over your LP without permission though, because I really do love this thread. (Suikoden III is my favorite Suikoden, but it's so drat slow that I haven't been able to sit through replaying it for years. Enjoying it all over again through this LP makes me want to do a "director's cut" patch that makes it a 20-hour game like the first two.)

I don't want to release too much info, but Suikogaiden Vol. 2 is well on its way, so if you'd prefer to hold off on talking about it until then, it should be out this summer. (I actually was hoping we could squeeze it out before Nash showed up here, but it just wasn't happening.)

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Pokeytax posted:

Oh! If you really don't mind... in the spare time I have between blithely posting enormous spoilers to this thread, I have been helping with the translation. I didn't want to step all over your LP without permission though, because I really do love this thread. (Suikoden III is my favorite Suikoden, but it's so drat slow that I haven't been able to sit through replaying it for years. Enjoying it all over again through this LP makes me want to do a "director's cut" patch that makes it a 20-hour game like the first two.)

I don't want to release too much info, but Suikogaiden Vol. 2 is well on its way, so if you'd prefer to hold off on talking about it until then, it should be out this summer. (I actually was hoping we could squeeze it out before Nash showed up here, but it just wasn't happening.)

WHAT. WHAT WHAT WHAT? I was shocked to see the first game translated and now the second one is actually going to be translated too? And so soon! Thank you so much for helping translate, I never thought I'd ever see those two games at all!

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Pokeytax posted:

Really? That would be wonderful! I'd love to hear anything you have to say about them, and it's not stepping over my LP at all. Suikogaiden and III are very interrelated, so it was going to come up either way. I was gonna hold off until we were done with Chris's chapter but before we started Hugo's next chapter, since Chris's is almost over anyway, but talking about it now is also perfectly fine with me. Also, translation is fascinating to me, so having you on board to talk about the process is awesome.

Yeah, I can hold off on vol. 2 for now, no worries. I'm actually really excited for this now. :dance:

I've been procrastinating on attempting to get Suikogaiden 1 working, so the extent of my coverage of it is going to vary greatly depending on whether or not I can actually play it or not. If I can't, it'll be a pair of interludes -- one for each volume. If I can get it working and no one else wants to do it, I'll most likely make them into mini-LPs.

Also, I guess this explains why you were the first to inform the thread of vol. 1 being translated. :ms:

That was you, right? I don't feel like finding it however many pages back it was. :downs:

In short, new thread rule: Suikogaiden Vol. 1 is fair game, and yes, let's talk about it. I would love that. Suikogaiden Vol. 2 is off-limits until it's translated further notice.

yokaiy fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 13, 2013

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.

yokaiy posted:

Suikogaiden Vol. 2 is off-limits until it's translated.

You say that like it will be translated in a week or something. The LP will probably be done in full before it's even halfway completed...unless the guy doing it is an absolute freak.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Well, if Pokey is to be believed, then it'll be coming out pretty soon. And, if my current pace keeps up, it'll be done maybe around when I hit the chapter 3s. If it's not out by then, I'll probably rescind my rule in light of plot happening, but I am optimistic about it being done soon. Or just really excited. Or both.

e: Still... I guess we'll see how this goes. I'll change it to "until further notice," at least, and depending on how quickly I manage to update, as well as whether or not I do the mini-LPs (and how smoothly the translation continues), I'll adjust accordingly.

yokaiy fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 13, 2013

Medrex
Nov 17, 2012

You are a hero. I knew about the second game's translation but I wasn't expecting it for a year at least.

yokaiy posted:

I've been procrastinating on attempting to get Suikogaiden 1 working, so the extent of my coverage of it is going to vary greatly depending on whether or not I can actually play it or not.
I've got it working fine but for two things:
1. If I dare to mess around too much with save states (example: save game, go back to another save state, make a different decision and then make another save after that) my memory card tends to corrupt and become unreadable. Wouldn't be so bad but it's a VN on the PSX so you've got like 8 or 10 save slots and a poor skip function. makes seeing everything a little tedious.
2. one time problem I had where a certain sound effect caused the game to crash during or just after it. spent half an hour randomly messing with settings until I got past it, still not sure what made it work.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

By all means, however you want to treat it is just peachy! I just wanted to tip you off, in case knowing it's coming soon affects your decision on how to handle it for the LP.

UmbreonMessiah posted:

You say that like it will be translated in a week or something.

I would say that's more likely than it taking all summer (although still not that likely).

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You guys are having trouble with ePSXe settings for it?

That's odd, mine played perfectly the first time. Would you like my settings?

Medrex
Nov 17, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

You guys are having trouble with ePSXe settings for it?

That's odd, mine played perfectly the first time. Would you like my settings?

You get no memory card problems when using save states? if so, by all means, please gimme a look.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Chris chapter 2.4 - Gallivanting Away

By morning, the flames are dealt with. Iksay is looking a little worse for wear, but it's still standing, and that is more than can be said for Karaya.

: "That kid was so full of life, but those guys, they... I can't take any more suffering."

: "After all the trouble I went to, my date is all screwed up. After the festival... That was going to be the best part of it, but now..."

There's quite a few NPCs lingering up by the windmills.

: "Now I'm going to memorize some new ones. Do you want this?"

This woman gives us the Recipe #11, which we don't have any use for yet. The man behind her says this:

: "It's no surprise that the Lizards and Karayans came after us. But it'll be fine once we rebuild. I don't give up that easily."

Yeah, the Iksayans really did get off easily, all things considered.

You could go to Budehuc. Just sayin'.

No?

Well, we'll be back for you later, then.

She's talking about Mel, of course. Mel is conspicuously absent during and after the attack, but we'll be meeting up with her soon.

The pair in the back:

: "drat it! Think about it. This part of Iksay is so close to Grassland, and yet where are all the kni-- Oops! Excuse me!"

: "This is no time to grumble about the Council! We've got to fix the houses and windmills. What kind of life will we have otherwise?"

This guy gives us some Tomato Seeds. We don't have any use for those yet, either.

I think Barts isn't feeling any better. :smith:

The inhabitants of the village are pretty moody, but I think they're entitled to that at this point. I wonder how Percival is taking it.

I guess you'd know all about having your hometown burned down, wouldn't you Roland?

Anyway, the knights have a little parting scene as they leave.

: "It seems someone is out to avenge our bout with the Lizard Clan."

: "Let's get back to the castle. There's no telling what the Council has in mind now."

Percy seems, understandably, less enthusiastic than usual.

The knights turn and start to leave, with Percival bringing up the rear.

He pauses and hesitates, though.

This is his home, after all. It's probably hard for him to leave it, under the circumstances.

After a few moments, though, he chooses Chris and his other companions over staying and helping rebuild.

And normally, this is where we'd start the trek back to Brass Castle. However, we've got one more thing to do in Iksay.

And that's to talk to Mel.

: "Oh, Branky? This is Branky. Introduce yourself, Branky."

:gonk:

: "............"

12, ladies and gentlegoons.

: "Hee hee hee! But Mel, you're always my first choice. This lady here is a fine catch, but she's starting to show her age a bit around the forehead."

Branky... turns????.... his head back and forth between Chris and Mel.

: "How rude! She's just frowning at you. I'm so sorry. Branky causes many furrowed brows. Forgive him."

She says through gritted teeth, clenching her fists in rage.

Branky decides to get up close and personal with Chris's face.

Chris reaches for her sword. Could our normally cool-headed captain be getting upset? Ahahaha.

Mel backs the hell away and starts bowing apologetically.

: "Branky! Some things can't be said. Understood? Watch your mouth!"

:allears:

: "You're hurting me! Stop it! Stop! Aarrrggghhh!

: "Understand?!"

: "I made a mistake! I apologize! Just stop!"

: "............"

: "Please excuse him!"

: "All right. I make mistakes too."

: "See? Now it's your turn to apologize!"

Mel turns to Branky.

I guess Branky bows apologetically? You know what, I don't even know any more.

: "So, did you want to talk to me about something?"

: "Yes. Now what was it..."

:
>"I wish you'd come to Budehuc. People would love such a talented ventriloquist!"
>"Never mind."

: "Ventriloquist? I don't follow you. I have no talent or tricks. Isn't that right, Branky?"

: "Hmmm... There wouldn't happen to be a lot of young men waiting at that castle, would there my lady?"

:stare:

: "You little fiend! What are you saying?! Don't do that! So, um, what is the castle like?"

: "Oh... There are some other people there, of course."

: "Guess I can't argue with that. I've made my decision. I will go to Budehuc. I know where it is, I'll leave right away."

She and Branky bugger off thusly.

:toot:

The knights all sort of look away for a moment.

They turn back, as Chris is still lingering.

Hahahaha.

Okay, let's head back to the castle.

: "Lord Salome should be back this evening. I do hope the Council will leave us alone for a change."

Ha! Fat chance.

: "Well, I will prepare the hot water and your bed, milady. You look tired."

: "Let me just see to your room first, if you'll excuse me, my Lady."

Chris, I think you hurt his feelings.

We have some freedom to move about the castle now, but there's not much to be done.

There's an NPC around that mentions how hard it is to find salt, though, if you find that interesting.

I blame you for this, vilkacis.

We visit the Bujutsu teacher, though.

Roland, you are so lovely compared to Jacques. :sigh:

I toss some skill points around, for whatever good that will do so close to the end of this chapter. Also, all their weapons get sharpened to level 9.

Okay, back to our room.

: "I might as well. I am rather exhausted."

: "Yes, madam. I will get ready right away."

After a few moments, he continues.

: "Pardons, milady, I didn't really mean... what I said."

: "Heh heh heh. No worries, Louis."

We rejoin Chris later that night in the meeting room.

Once again, she finds the actions of Karayans weighing heavily on her mind.

Seriously, what would her dad have to do with some guy from a 50-year-old Grassland folk-tale anyway?

A knocking interrupts her thoughts.

: "Salome, milady. I've just returned."

: "They told me the details when I returned. I am shocked!"

Are you really, though?

: "It shocked me, as well. It was more than a coincidence. What about the Council?"

O-ho?

: "The Council is split on the proposal of allying with Harmonia. But on the surface, they appear to be in total unity."

: "That's the way merchants think. Always trying to balance the scales."

: "We need to choose our allies carefully. It is difficult to distinguish friend and foe."

I'm not so sure about that. Right now, it's pretty clear to Chris who her enemies are: The Council, the Grasslanders, and the Harmonians. Well, except maybe Jimba. I have no idea what his deal is. I'm pretty sure he's also an enemy. Or he's just a jerk.

The two pause for a beat.

: "I..."

: "Pardon me?"

: "Percival told me about the incident at Iksay Village."

: "That was terrible. My penance for letting my guard down..."

: "Now, now. I also heard about your father."

: "I see."

: "Milady, you do not believe him, do you? Your father may still be alive somewhere in the Grasslands. You mustn't lose faith."

: "Salome.... I mustn't forget that I am the captain of the knights."

: "Precisely. So I must..."

: "You must take some time for yourself, milady. I've noticed how preoccupied you have been lately."

: "Ohhhhhhhh. Not you too! Why is everyone... I am just..."

: "None of us things of this duty as our only driving force."

: "I'm sure you have your own feelings about Zexen."

: "Salome..."

: "In Vinay del Zexay, I used my contacts to gather information. It seems something is about to happen. Someone is plotting some kind of campaign."

He gives a curt nod, as Chris doesn't reply.

: "Well then, milady. I must be going now."

He leaves her to her thoughts.

She stands, and begins to walk to her room, stalling for a moment.

But it's not as if she can just leave the castle, right?

Even with Salome covering for her in the morning, there's no way she'd be able to get out without someone stopping her and questioning her motives.

: "And... I keep thinking about what he said... The Flame Champion..."

And what motive does she have? "Some guy told me he killed my dad but I think he's lying so I'm going to track down some local Grassland legend or hero or something."

Ha, yeah. That'd go well.

Whatever, it's getting late. We can think about this later, right Chris? For now, let's sleep.

Hm?

There's a strange rattling sound coming from somewhere.

Surely no one else is here, though?

The bookcase?

: "What was that? I thought I heard something. It can't be..."

The shelves rattle, and Chris takes a step back as the entire thing rotates.

Um.

: "There was no answer to my knocks, either...."

Chris takes several steps back. And Nash, I dare say you still haven't asked to come in.

: "You should seal a well that's dried up, milady. You're telling the whole world to find the well if you keep it open like that."

: "You're talking nonsense again..."

: "Princess? No, no. Not I."

Nash looks off to the side aloofly before responding.

: "You're right. You are a princess, but also a knight. There goes my part."

Chris can just rescue herself, then. Is that what you're getting at?

The lady herself isn't very entertained, though.

: "Would you shut up?!"

She begins very forcefully, but the ?! at the end there is actually because Nash takes a very sudden few steps towards her before she finishes, alarming her and causing her to take a couple steps back once more.

: "H-how did you know?"

: "Reading lips. I learned it long ago. I can tell what people are saying by watching their lips. If you are coming, can you get ready right away? You won't survive a second battle in that outfit in the Grasslands, you know."

: "Who said I was coming? I have a duty as a member of the Knights."

: "Stop it. You don't have to lie to me. I am old enough and wise enough to read you like a book."

: "Pardon me?!"

: "Stop arguing. You are going, aren't you? Well? Don't you want to see the Grasslands with your own eyes?"

: "Grasslands? With my own eyes?"

Salome said something similar about enemies and allies, didn't he. Or, maybe he was hinting at that, at least.

: "You might be right."

He starts ushering her into the other room.

: "Hey, don't rush me."

: "I know. Don't worry. I may not look like it, but I'm a married man. You can trust me."

: "Is that a fact? If I ever catch you lying, I will draw my sword."

Scary. Sure sounds like Sierra, all right.

: "I beg your pardon?"

: "Oh, nothing."

One short fade to black later...

: "Oh, my goodness! I thought you looked good in your armor, but this is more like it!"

: "I don't need your flattery."

: "Ha ha. Good for her. Well then, shall we? You are going to show me the way, I take it."

: "Sure. First, we head to the Chisha Village, if you want to pursue the Flame Champion. There is someone there who is associated with him."

: "Chisha? The Chisha Clan is the most conservative of the Six Clans."

: "Yes, they're totally different from the barbaric Lizard Clans. Let's get going."

And so, Nash joins us for real this time.

Inspecting the bookcase allows us entrance to the secret path Nash mentioned.

It's not the same one we visited as Hugo, though.

: "I rather like the trusting attitude and tolerance it implies."

: "A castle can't be open and tolerant, can it?"

So, this room is a pretty nice set piece, even though it's pretty empty. Just a bunch of barrels and stairs. I like it anyway. Could use some cobwebs or something, though.

It lets out into another long tunnel like the last secret exit we found in the castle, and is about as interesting.

The enemies aren't anything to write home about either.

So let's just skip to the end, shall we?

: "What is it? Let's get going."

: "Yes, I know."

: "Don't worry. This is not goodbye forever, you know."

So much for leaving secretly.

It is no secret that Salome and Nash are acquainted.

: "His swordsmanship is no joke, I assure you."

How the are acquainted is up for debate.

: "I am not talking about that. I mean our Lady Chris..."

: "I'd love to, if I could."

: "Agreed."

They can support her best by acting in her stead while she's gone, I suppose.

Heh.

And that is actually a wrap for this chapter. See you next time, as we check on how Hugo's doing after having to bury his best friend.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I've never even gotten this far into the game and I can already tell you what twist is gonna happen at some point. They're not exactly being subtle about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

I hadn't seen that recruitment scene for Mel before, despite playing this game way too many times. It lived up to hype.

I'm still not really sure how I feel about Nash. He's funny, and definitely interesting, but I still find myself not liking him much. Maybe it's just the way he fights.

• Locked thread