Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

He looks way, way more sinister as a sort of...dapper man with blades up his sleeves than as a Black Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Speedball posted:

He looks way, way more sinister as a sort of...dapper man with blades up his sleeves than as a Black Knight.

In that wide brimmed bowler hat and long rear end braid?
Plus his massive atrophy and height loss.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

CmdrKing posted:

So, Yuber. Yuber is such a boring villain in the first games (Oh noes he is the DARK KNIGHT and PURE EVIL this sort of crap is really noticeable in Suikoden where the villains by and large are pretty interesting and have things like motivations and moral codes), but drat if he doesn't have some style here in three. If you're like me and played it first, there's always that little bit of irrational like for him.

Yuber's personality is not any different in this game. He is still just "gehehhe...blood... >:}" he's more interesting in two because he has a relationship with another character and you are like "woah what's the deal with these guys...how mysterious.."

Rigged Death Trap posted:

In that wide brimmed bowler hat and long rear end braid?
Plus his massive atrophy and height loss.

I'm not sure how you can tell that Yuber has gotten shorter..? Also everyone looks a lot bigger in armor, and Yuber's was especially unnecessarily huge

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

GulagDolls posted:

I'm not sure how you can tell that Yuber has gotten shorter..? Also everyone looks a lot bigger in armor, and Yuber's was especially unnecessarily huge

I get this feeling in the back of my brain that he lost a head of height or so.
Maybe it's the more squashed proportions of the S3 models. I dunno.

Everyone looks downright adorable.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I feel like probably the odd one out, but I hated Yuber's redesign in this game. Just seemed goofy.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
An Interlude - CHAAAARGE!

Remember when we first encountered Yuber and co?

Well, Hugo's response is actually a dialogue choice. There are a few combinations, but most are basically the same, and result in what we saw, so I'll just be showing off the good one.

In this branch, Hugo doesn't decide to talk to them immediately.

So Lilly comes up with a genius plan instead.

From there, we have to agree with her plan.

Skittles disagrees with the plan.

Joe backs him up in place of M&Ms, though, who doesn't even have a line in this branch.

Even Fubar gets in on this.

She reacts predictably.

However, we'll still agree with her. We have the option not to, but...

Just what she was looking for in a prince knight in shining armor servant.

Joe disagrees, but doesn't seem to argue enough to do anything about it.

Meanwhile, the suspiciously mysterious group is still being mysterious and suspicious.

They continue to do their vague dialogue thing.

That is, until Lilly barges in.

Never even saw 'em coming.

Well, you're kind of right, Sarah, but only about half of the group.

She runs ahead gallantly!

The others exchange exasperated glances!

And then follow her into the--

:haw:

And they're off!

He's not sure whether to be impressed or confused.

This one's dumbfounded, though.

Our brave Sir Robin and fellow minstrels catch their breath further down the passage.

I think that's supposed to be "we ran away," Joe.

Oh, Lilly, you glorious woman.

:allears:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Verant posted:

To this day, I wonder if Yuber dropped his armored look because he was tired of Pesmerga following him or because the Masked Man made him. And, if the latter, how in the world did he manage it?

At least he stopped summoning giant zombie dragons like he did in II. That thing was a pain my first time through the game.

My theory is that it was a themed outfit thing that one of them started to go with the other. Either Yuber started it to mock Pesmerga and his efforts to hunt him down, or Pes started it for reasons I couldn't guess at, but most likely the former. Sometime during the 15 years between S2 and 3, the two meet and Yuber kills Pesmerga, and his new duds represent the end of their rivalry.

Granted, I hope to hell that this theory is wrong. Pesmerga's pretty baller.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Interesting. I have a different theory. Yuber decided that he didn't want to constantly be wearing giant black armor while he was walking around all the time because it's heavy and hot as gently caress.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Alternatively, they wanted to actually show him being pissed off, and it's a lot harder to do that when we can't see most of your face. So they gave him a cool hat instead of a helmet, and then said "Ehh what the hell, let's give him a whole ensemble."

Plus it's a lot easier to sneak up on fuckers in a suit-and-tie than a suit-of-armor, and they seem to be at least partly trying to avoid notice.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

We could always see Yuber's entire face. not that it matters because in this game he is constantly pushing his hat over his eyes.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
I've always been fond of his redesign for III, but that may be partially because I saw him that way first, and thereafter his armor looked unnecessarily bulky and kind of silly to me.

Pesmerga, for those of you new to this, was a star in I and II. He joined up hoping to find and beat down Yuber, who allied himself with the bad guys of each game in hopes of causing death and chaos and stuff. The fact that he was, apparently, never able to catch up to Yuber may have been due to his lovely speed stat. Otherwise, he was pretty cool, and there is a picture on the internet of him playing with children, cats, and Riou. :3:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Great, now I'm imagining Riou attempting to gain impromptu piggyback rides from random Stars of Destiny in his army and I can't stop giggling.

Imagine him trying that poo poo with Jeane, Sierra, or any of the krakens.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Bufuman posted:

Great, now I'm imagining Riou attempting to gain impromptu piggyback rides from random Stars of Destiny in his army and I can't stop giggling.

Viktor would throw his head back and laugh, and then go "Sure, why the hell not? Hop on." And then he'd bullrush random people in the castle with Riou as an unwilling "accomplice".

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

yokaiy posted:

I've always been fond of his redesign for III, but that may be partially because I saw him that way first, and thereafter his armor looked unnecessarily bulky and kind of silly to me.

Pesmerga, for those of you new to this, was a star in I and II. He joined up hoping to find and beat down Yuber, who allied himself with the bad guys of each game in hopes of causing death and chaos and stuff. The fact that he was, apparently, never able to catch up to Yuber may have been due to his lovely speed stat. Otherwise, he was pretty cool, and there is a picture on the internet of him playing with children, cats, and Riou. :3:

hm...you're forgetting something...pesmerga is also in this game!!!

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I like the suit-and-bowler-cap look. It's kind of an English cultural shorthand for "hired thug". It says "I'm a bad guy, I like to hurt people, but I'm not the one in charge". Like Oddjob.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Generally, Yuber in previous games was acting as some sort of general or whatever, in charge of the "jesus gently caress why do we have a monster legion" division. So the knight armor made sense, made it clear he was in charge and to be feared. Here he's working with these dudes to do... whatever the hell they're doing, but it seems to be secret and involve a lot of planning so maybe this is his way of keeping a low profile.

Also that picture is amazing and shows more personality on Pesmerga than I knew he had.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

GulagDolls posted:

hm...you're forgetting something...pesmerga is also in this game!!!

He... what? :confused: When is he in this game?

Bufuman posted:

Whoops, this isn't the right Suikoden game.

CmdrKing posted:

Generally, Yuber in previous games was acting as some sort of general or whatever, in charge of the "jesus gently caress why do we have a monster legion" division. So the knight armor made sense, made it clear he was in charge and to be feared. Here he's working with these dudes to do... whatever the hell they're doing, but it seems to be secret and involve a lot of planning so maybe this is his way of keeping a low profile.

Also that picture is amazing and shows more personality on Pesmerga than I knew he had.

His armor was also to reinforce that Yuber is probably not human. (It's never said for sure, I don't think, but it is implied pretty heavily.) It's easier to think of him as some kind of demon monster general crazy guy if he's rocking some ridicu-spikey black armor. He toned down a lot for III so that he could keep a low profile and at least attempt to pass as a human -- his crazy eyes and willingness to announce how much he really hates humans still kinda gives it away, though.

And yes, that is probably my favorite picture of Pes, even amongst the many in which he is super badass looking. It's just so :kimchi:

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
That Pesmerga pic is the :3: iest thing in the history of :3:.

"I sail the tides of vengeance until the end of days, only then will my ineffable hunger be quenched."

"Mr Pesmerga, will you help me fly this kite?"

"...okay."

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Another reason to love Lilly; She was poo poo stirring the second biggest psychopath in Suikoden history.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Testekill posted:

Another reason to love Lilly; She was poo poo stirring the second biggest psychopath in Suikoden history.

She really is one of my favorite characters in this game, her design is great.

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

Chapter 2 for Hugo is easily my favorite one for him, and the absolute biggest reason for that is Lilly. She's the best. She also happens to be quite good in battle, and I have to wonder if Reed and Samus only exist to make you notice how much better Lilly is.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Can you believe there are actually people who don't like Lily?

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Testekill posted:

Let's not forget her poo poo-talking a 500-year old vampire to his face when she was only 6 years old.
She's probably got more moxie than anyone in the Suikoden universe.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

vilkacis posted:

Can you believe there are actually people who don't like Lily?

I think the difference comes down to the fact that she's an immensely spoiled brat. The hairsplit is the fact that she's not a malicious spoiled brat, just a very pushy one. So she could definitely rub you the wrong way if you don't appreciate her heroic spirit or her Three Musketeers outfit.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Speedball posted:

if you don't appreciate her heroic spirit or her Three Musketeers outfit.

Well in that case you're probably an emotionless robot from Planet X on a mission to destroy humanity anyway.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

vilkacis posted:

Well in that case you're probably an emotionless robot from Planet X on a mission to destroy humanity anyway.

Or you're Chris Lightfellow.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007

Shiki Dan posted:

Let's not forget her poo poo-talking a 500-year old vampire to his face when she was only 6 years old.
She's probably got more moxie than anyone in the Suikoden universe.

Little known fact: Lily is in possession of the True Moxie Rune.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Or you're Chris Lightfellow.
What's the difference? :tinfoil:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

^ One has a literal ironhead.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

vilkacis posted:

A Dalek with daddy issues?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

vilkacis posted:

Only one person can save us.

He might look different this time around though.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Okay that is really loving clever. :golfclap:

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
:allears: You guys are ridiculous. Also, those are now in the OP.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

vilkacis posted:

Okay that is really loving clever. :golfclap:

I missed it :smith:

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Only one person can save us.

He might look different this time around though.

But what if...we've already met him?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

We may be going the wrong way, or maybe we've found his companion...

Is the blinking mirror larger on the inside than on the outside?

e: Dr. Who and Dr. Huh

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 25, 2013

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Am I the only one who didn't notice Yuber has heterochromia until this happened? I've always liked it from a design standpoint and I think it really helps accentuate the "intense psychopath" look he's got going on there.

Also I am consistently amused at the various names you assign to Ornstein and Smough. That one's on me.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Ceraph posted:

Also I am consistently amused at the various names you assign to Ornstein and Smough. That one's on me.

I am also consistently amused at Boccor and Adecos. (You might also steal some of Yuri's petnames for them.)

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Raitzeno posted:

I am also consistently amused at Boccor and Adecos. (You might also steal some of Yuri's petnames for them.)

What, are we just suggesting as many new names as possible for Liz and Ard now? Works for me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Ceraph posted:

Am I the only one who didn't notice Yuber has heterochromia until this happened? I've always liked it from a design standpoint and I think it really helps accentuate the "intense psychopath" look he's got going on there.

Not only are his eyes different colors, but he has two different kinds of pupils too! :eng101: His red eye is slitted like a cat and his blue eye is normal.

Really I just wanted to draw a grumpy person. Yuber seemed to fit the bill.

Ceraph posted:

Raitzeno posted:

Bufuman posted:

What, are we just suggesting as many new names as possible for Liz and Ard now? Works for me!

:allears:

I need to come up with some really obscure names for Koume and Kotake, and then maybe have a contest once I'm done to see if someone can get all the references. The prize will be nothing! me being impressed? Or something.

• Locked thread