Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
EDIT: Nevermind. Not really a relevant comment, yet.

I didn't hate Lilly as much as I thought I would, for the same reasons as came up in the dissections of her character, above. I think I used Reed and Samus more often than her, but I am rather inexorably drawn to "generic guy" characters.

Jeedy Jay fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

cdyoung posted:

Ok seriously guys, we devoted one whole page to the joke about renaming Ren and Stimpy, let's think of another joke to amuse ourselves till the next update.

Ways they could have made the Earth Rune lines actually useful?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Verant posted:

Ways they could have made the Earth Rune lines actually useful?

It's kind of wishy-washy (same as wind) but I'd throw in a damage + debuff spell in the Earth rune line somewhere. Like the "Fang Breaker" skill in SMTIV, something that smashes the enemy for damage and temporarily reduces their attack power.

The way magic works in Suikoden, you have limited spellcasts, so you may as well make each type of spell distinct and distinctly useful.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Speedball posted:

The way magic works in Suikoden, you have limited spellcasts, so you may as well make each type of spell distinct and distinctly useful.

hahaha no, instead we have magic sword runes

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Hell, let's just go with a general "How to make crappy runes better" discussion. I want a better Blinking Rune myself because Viki is the best Suikoden character.

My suggestion is to eliminate the failure effects (not the chance of failure itself, just the "teleport allies away" part, otherwise it'd go from useless to broken), buff the 2nd level spell, and add in a 4th level spell. Because a pure mage like Viki has no business being stuck with a rune that only goes up to 3 spell levels.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The 4th level spell is the one that launches her into a new game.

The Happy Hyperbole
Jan 27, 2009

What's he up to now? Hard to say since we're not telling him what to do.
The Sword of (Element) runes do have a use, actually. A very specific one, but it is there! After the level one spell is cast, if there is any time left in the round the user will still get to move and attack. If you raise the skill for sword magic it becomes basically instant cast, too, so you can buff and still get all of your attacks. So, why is this important? Well, certain really beefy characters like Leo and the Lizards are incredibly slow, often acting waaay after everyone else gets a chance to move. But if they use a Sword rune's level one spell, they get to move and attack immediately after casting. So, there you go. The one single use for those runes.

Earth runes still totally suck, though.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

The 4th level spell is the one that launches her into a new game.

...you know, I'd buy that being the real, in-story function of the fourth spell. And it gives her brain damage each time so she needs to level up again...

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bufuman posted:

My suggestion is to eliminate the failure effects (not the chance of failure itself, just the "teleport allies away" part, otherwise it'd go from useless to broken), buff the 2nd level spell, and add in a 4th level spell. Because a pure mage like Viki has no business being stuck with a rune that only goes up to 3 spell levels.

So basically, "make it like Suikoden V", where the rune is just kind of lackluster instead of horrid.

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

So basically, "make it like Suikoden V", where the rune is just kind of lackluster instead of horrid.

To be fair, Suikoden IV's version is the only version where Ready! and Go! count as Instant Death in the sense that you still get item drops and EXP. Every other version just removes the enemies from the battle.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

KataraniSword posted:

Suikoden 5 removed the failure effects? I never noticed that myself. But yes, do that.

And to be completely fair, Set! is usable by the Blinking Rune's standards, but there are still far better uses for your level 2 spells.

mageofthesands
Jan 2, 2013
I like the Tinto attack. Well, not to actually use, mind you, but how it works. Quantum and Woody run in and attack in a manner best described as flailing around, while Lilly supervises. She joins in, and the three now attack synchronized. The henchmen are unbalanced by their efforts, while the leader is embolden by clear evidence that her presence makes a difference.

Or something like that.

What I like about Yuber is how he draws his swords. This game is really good about weapons coming from somewhere. Look at Lilly's scabbard for example; it looks usable, and she always draws her sword from it. Yuber? He flicks his hands and draws swords from his hammerspace sleeves. That, more than anything else, was what clued me in that this guy wasn't normal.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
The swords have a slight segmented look. I always assumed they were collapsable, akin to a police baton.

He then keeps this in hammerspace.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Aramek posted:

The swords have a slight segmented look. I always assumed they were collapsable, akin to a police baton.

He then keeps this in hammerspace.

They could also be serrated for additional bodily damage and pain. Yuber is definitely sadistic enough for such a thing.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I wonder what the chief and the Lizard Clan are going to have to say now that we actually have a party leader who will talk to them.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Hugo Chapter 2.3 - Hello Goodbye

I imagine Hugo is very anxious to see his fellow Karayans, but also probably nervous.

What would the rest of the villagers think, with him coming back but no others?

Heading inside, we get a nice little pan of the scenery.

No other Karayans are immediately visible, though. Just Lizards.

Well.

The group made it, so that's what matters, right? Safe and sound, even the Tinto trio.

Oh.

Luce...

She's smiling.

Please stop, Luce. Please.

She looks around for her son for a moment, before turning to call Lucia over.

She rushes over, but restrains herself once she's within speaking distance.

: "You were smart to come here. We tried to send word, but it just wasn't possible. At all."

She looks around for him still.

: "Were is he? Were you separated?"

She's still smiling.

: "That child! As soon as he finds something new, he's gone like a bolt of lightning."

Joe won't even look at her.

And she's still smiling.

Are you reassuring Lucia... or yourself?

There's a brief silence. Luce's beaming smile slowly becomes a worried glance.

Silence, once again.

Joe steps up, as Hugo's words seem caught in his throat.

She's pleading.

: "He... we buried him on Karayan soil. As soon as we could, with all the proper rites..."

: "Lulu..."

As hard as it was to give her the news, it was hundreds of times harder for her to hear.

: "He watched as his own home burned. He must've thought... He tried to get back at one of them, so with his knife, he..."

: "............"

She turns and takes a few steps, in shock.

No one even breathes until she speaks up.

: I managed to escape. Now, I'm here and he's not."

She sobs into her hands as Lucia tries to comfort her.

: "Luce."

: "I'm... fine. I'm... I'm alright, Lucia. I'm not the only one who lost a child that day. I just didn't know..."

The scene fades.

Hugo stands by the fountains, not sure what to do or say.

Lucia finds and joins him.

: "I gave her some tea to calm her down, then had her get some rest."

Hugo looks back down, and hesitates. When he speaks up, it's not really even words.

: "Ah..."

Just an acknowledgement. He pauses again.

: "Later, the Sergeant was furious with me."

: "Harmonia from the north, Dunan from the east, and Zexen. We've fought for years to keep them all from taking this land. Nothing has changed, even though we've fought with all our heart."

Lucia hesitates.

She pulls Hugo in close.

This line, right here.

: "Any mother would feel that way. My love for you is strong, Hugo. I pray never to know that grief..."

This whole scene, actually. The last one as well.

It's really touching.

I could narrate it with more commentary, but really, are my words even necessary here? Hugo, Lucia, Luce, and Joe are just really well characterized here.

"Mooooom, get off of meeee."

He runs to Joe very quickly, embarrassed.

: "Who asked you... Did you want to talk?"

: "I hadn't seen those three from Tinto for a while, so I thought they might be with you."

: "Ah. We can't let them make any trouble around here. Especially that Lilly lady... Better go look for them."

: "If they disappear, so will our other 2000 potch."

Hugo runs off ahead of Joe, who lingers as Lucia approaches.

: "Sergeant. Could you... Thank you."

: "I don't intend to make that same mistake twice."

We're given control again, but let's take care of something important before we do anything else.

I sharpen Hugo and Joe's weapons up to level 9. They were level 5. That was bad. It's better now.

Not too much interesting dialogue for the Lizards, but this one's pretty funny. The Lizard in back remarks about how he was about to head to Karaya to buy armor before the village got destroyed. A little insensitive, that one.

Luce is feeling better, which is good. But still, I feel horrible for her. Lulu is what, her third son to die? The only one left is Jimba.

: "Hugo, you must rest while you can. Who knows what'll happen next?"

: "I really like this place!! It's nice a cool. It's a great spot to relax!!"

: "Have you gone back to Karaya Village since then?"

: "I-I-I don't want to go back to the village... It brings back too many memories."

There's a familiar face in the back there...

: "<sigh> After we got separated along the way, I finally managed to catch up. I could only bring what I could carry. Too bad."

: "So, you lost your business?"

: "It's okay. I'll make do. I thought maybe I could find work here at the lodge."

: "I see."

: "There's no obligation just because we're friends, but if you could put in a good word for me, I'd be grateful."

: "All right."

One word: Budehuc.

No? Next chapter, maybe.

:stare:

We'll actually see who he's talking about in another chapter.

Yes.

I've waited so long.

The sweet smell of skills not being lovely. :allears:

(That Chanting Volume skill on Joe is for a rune he can't actually use. I... okay? I'll probably take it off him soonish.)

Thanks Beecham.

:smith:

: "Are you from Karaya Village? Yeah, I know it's tough, but don't give up, okay?"

Okay, that's enough for now. We should find Lilly before she wrecks something.

There she is.

: "Milady!"

: "Your talk insults the new Clan Chief!"

Lilly smiles smugly.

: "I'm not exactly a storyteller."

: " 'Fire Bringer'? That story is so very, very old."

It's not that old, Dupa.

: "Perhaps you're unfamiliar with this because you're from the south. When I was young, I often asked my father to tell me about the great deeds of the hero Iroh and the Fire Bringer."

Oh boy! Iroh!

Story time! Once again, we find ourselves in flashback-land.

And we get our first actual look at our man, Iroh.

It is interesting to note that if we change the rendering stuff to get blocks on top, we also get to see the real colors of things without the filter. Worth it? Probably not, but here it is anyway. Dude wears red.

: "Ready!"

: "Same as always, right?"

: "Same as always. There they are. Now!"

The Fire Bringer run off.

Also, calling them "Fire Bringer" has always bothered me a bit. I feel like there should be an s at the end.

: "Most clans fell under their control, including ours. Even clans outside their grasp paid tribute. No one questioned this. Their army was unrivaled. Every clan combined was no match for just one Harmonian battalion. But the Flame Champion Iroh and the Fire Bringer were unafraid."

: "Hah hah hah."

It's hard to keep track of who's saying what when they all have the same face.

: "If only it were so."

: "Leader, what shall we do with all these riches?"

: "We will buy back Grassland."

: "Brilliant! But why stop at Grassland? How about all of Harmonia!"

: "Right! Hah hah hah!"

: "The grandest of schemes!"

: "Those rumors made the clans brave and hopeful. Soon, one man led them all."

: "At last, the showdown has come."

: "So it has. This is it. The last battle. For good."

: Victory will be ours!"

: "Victory!"

: "It was... the worst battle in history. They say neither side was a clear victor."

Oh, hey Hugo. When did you get here?

Just look how into the story he is. :haw:

: "No one's sure what really happened to him. Some say he went to the far western continent, or died in valor. I've even heard he now lives a lavish life within Harmonia."

Dupa turns to Lilly.

: "This is why you must give up looking for the Flame Champion. So many tales have been told about the Fire Bringer returning. But they turn out to be fairy tales. Nothing more."

: "If you quest is one of play, stop your folly and go home."

We're given control once more, as Lilly and co run off or something.

We also get a Sunbeam Rune from one of the guard Lizards. It's not very good. It heals you while walking around, as well as gives back 15 hp each turn in battle.

Shiba and Dupa (Dupa is hiding just off-screen to the left) say this:

: "The new Chief is Lord Dupa. I think he will be a good successor to dear departed Chief Zepon."

: "Children of Karaya, don't despair! Lizard fighters know the pain of losing a home... Let's help the Chief and await our chance."

Okay, time to catch up with Lilly again.

: "Who says I'm angry? And even if I was, there'd be no reason to treat me like a child!"

: "So it's true you are angry."

: "I beg your pardon!"

: "It's true, um, that..."

Joe and Hugo interrupt the touching moment.

: "Now do you believe me? The Flame Champion is gone. Why do you insist on finding him?"

: "Why do you care? What I do is not your concern."

: "Like Dupa the Clan Chief and the Sergeant both said, if he were alive, he'd be too old to be of any use to you."

: "Why?"

: "Sure, my mother has talked about them many times."

: "Runes? Ah, the ones with all kinds of untold powers."

GASP.

:allears:

: "Each of the 27 True Runes has tremendous power. When I was young, I met someone gifted with such power. Shame I can't remember a thing about it. Anyway, all of the True Runes have one power in common. Immortality! One who uses a rune will never grow old."

THIS NEWS IS MIND-BLOWING. :supaburn:

: "You're saying that..."

: "That the Flame Champion is young and alive and living somewhere in Grassland. He's using Fire Bringer to..."

: "To attack Tinto traders? Highly unbelievable. Instead of that nonsense, let's talk about something real. For instance, the 2000 potch you still owe us."

: "Reed, pay them."

Mukumuku approaches Lilly and speaks in a hushed voice.

: "What are you talking about?"

: "Our funds."

She is all up in his business. He actually takes a few steps back, and she a few forward to make up for it.

: "At first you said we would travel for one week. That was over a month ago! Put yourself in our position."

Mokumoku backs him up.

: "It's always my fault. Lilly is always to blame. She's the bad one. So it goes."

She huffs angrily, before turning and returning to the Grasslanders.

: "Why?"

: "Our funds have run out. I can't pay anything unless I find a Tinto trader."

: "I knew it."

: "Well, no, not exactly."

: "What choice do I have? I can't pay you money I don't have."

: "All that talk of you being a daughter of aristocracy. That's not easy to believe either."

: "Now you stop right there! Explain what you mean by that!"

: "If you have a problem with my credibility, speak up, or forever hold your peace!"

The scene fades as Joe gets in an arguments with everyone.

The trio jumps back into the party, which is good because I have a score to settle with them.

Learn how...

... to hit things...

... you assholes!

Okay, let's go for a walk. Gotta find a Tinto trader or something, right?

As we approach the exit...

We trigger a scene.

: "Isn't that Jimba?"

: "Looks like it."

: "Jimba! You made it!"

: "Ah, Hugo, good to see you! You're looking strong, as always. I gather you've seen the ruins of our village."

: "I'm sorry to say I watched it burn."

: "So it goes... Lulu is usually right at your heels. Where did he go?"

: "Jimba, what happened is..."

Cue fade out.

: "I was gone from the village, too. When I returned, it was already in ashes. We must have missed each other somehow. From Chisha, I went my Lake Castle, then finally came here."

What were you doing in Chisha? No, wait. What were you doing going from Chisha past the Great Hollow to Budehuc and only coming back after?

: "A tiny castle, if you can even call it that, which lies between Zexen and Grassland. Recently a new lord took over the castle, and people from all over are coming to visit it. I thought I'd see what all the fuss was about. But I ran into a Zexen patrol and had to flee. Too bad. I really wanted to explore that castle."

: "So it hasn't been an easy time for you either."

: "I should go and tell our Clan Chief I'm alive, and tell her what I found. Can you take me to her?"

You should probably console your mother, too, but...

: "Okay, sure."

Jimba joins us in the guest/support section of our party. I feel bad for not thinking to do this when we had the Saint Loa Knights, but apparently you can look up stats of guests in addition to your party members. Cool.

Not that he has any stats, being a guest/support, but still.

Back inside!

:"Yes. But it took some effort. I have much to tell you about Zexen, Harmonian troop movement, and the Flame Champion."

: "The Flame Champion? You mean the old hero Iroh?"

: "Believe it or not, yes..."

The two drop their conversation to look to the boy and duck combo.

: "Huh?"

: "Secrets are secrets -- not even official messengers should know."

Joe starts to lead Hugo away.

He argues, but doesn't actually offer any resistance.

: "Sergeant?"

drat, just missed this screen.

: "What is it, boy?"

: "Is the Flame Champion Jimba spoke of the same one that...?"

: "Probably. But why is someone like that girl interested all of a sudden? That's a puzzle."

: "Is Jimba the man who just walked by here? I'll be sure to ask him what he knows!"

: "Don't bother."

: "It's you!"

: "Huh?"

Jimba approaches the boys, ignoring Lilly's strange reaction.

: "Hugo, I must know... Did you do what I asked you to do?"

: "Of course!"

: "Thank you, Hugo. What a relief. You've been a great help."

: "Um, people, are you ignoring me? You! Have you found out something about the Flame Champion?"

: "Listen to me when I'm talking!"

: "Jimba, did you hear something new about the Flame Champion in the past few days?"

: "Not about Iroh the Flame Champion, but about what's left of the Fire Bringer he once led. Meanwhile, it seems Zexen may not be the only ones sending forces into Grassland. I want to enlist as many allies as possible, in case the time ever comes..."

: "Finally! This is what I wanted to hear."

: "I talked with our Clan Chief, and we agreed it's best to have you go to Lake Castle, since I couldn't get in."

: "Lake Castle? What for?"

: "People are coming from near and far to gather at the castle. It used to serve as a meeting place between Zexen and Grassland. It's no longer prosperous, but the castle's new lord is like no other. He wants people from Grassland to come."

: "All right, but how is that connected to the Flame Champion?"

: "Go there and make contact with the castle lord, or, if possible, with the Fire Bringer themselves. Okay?"

: "If that's all there is to it, leave this mission to me!"

Lilly is absolutely beaming in the background there.

: "So it's been decided that I can go?"

: "Yes. Unless you're not interested..."

: "Good. Once you're inside, if it doesn't seem safe to continue, learn whatever you can, then get out."

: "Slip into the castle, watch the castle lord carefully, then make contact with any Fire Bringer he may be sheltering..."

: "Could it be any easier?"

: "This is urgent, Hugo. Can you leave right away?"

: "Yes."

: "Are you coming too?"

: "Well, since you're inviting me... Let's go!"

:allears:

We rejoin our heroes right before their departure.

: "We won't need it this time."

: "You be careful too, Jimba."

: "Sure, sure."

: "Who can say?"

Heh. I like that.

: "Yes! Members of the Fire Bringer are there."

: "But if we go, we won't find a single Tinto trader to replenish our funds. What will we do at this castle?"

: "Those are the risks. Let's move it, people!"

She runs ahead of everyone.

: "? Milady, wait!"

Haha, nope.

And, that is a wrap for Hugo chapter 2! Wow, that was long even for me. Next time, we'll pick up where we left off with the Geddoe Force.

yokaiy fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 2, 2013

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.
I gotta admit, while Lulu's death didn't strike me as hard as the major scenes in I and II did, seeing Luce's reaction did. And it's so much worse/better in the manga, from what I remember.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, well. I spotted something interesting, but since I'm not sure on the rules of speculation, so I'll be quiet.

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

Luce hit me right in the feels, in my first playthrough. And every other playthrough. And just now. It doesn't take long to get back in good spirits, though, thanks to Lilly.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I think this is the first time that the series states that any true rune will grant you agelessness/immortality; before now I think it was suggested that only the Soul Eater had that power, what with governing over life and death. Barbarossa and Joshua certainly weren't treated as immortal, despite supposedly having True Runes of their own (the Sovereign Rune and the Dragon Rune, respectively), and the only True Rune that actually showed up in 2 was grafted to the floor of a city.

...wait, there was the Blue Moon Rune, too, but considering that its only owners are vampires I'm not entirely sure it counts.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You know Jimba, if you REALLY want to keep your SUPER DUPER SECRET, you probably shouldn't appear in flashbacks. That's like Narrative 101.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair, that's the sacrifice you make when you show this in screenshots - if I recall correctly, in-game that full image is only shown for a brief moment and gets partially obscured by dialog boxes in the process.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

grandalt posted:

Well, well. I spotted something interesting, but since I'm not sure on the rules of speculation, so I'll be quiet.

I'm fine with speculation. :haw: So long as no one uses spoilers to prove you right/wrong/whatever.

Fister Roboto posted:

You know Jimba, if you REALLY want to keep your SUPER DUPER SECRET, you probably shouldn't appear in flashbacks. That's like Narrative 101.

Podima posted:

To be fair, that's the sacrifice you make when you show this in screenshots - if I recall correctly, in-game that full image is only shown for a brief moment and gets partially obscured by dialog boxes in the process.

I dunno, guys, that man is pretty clearly decked out like not-a-Grasslander. Also, it'd be really weird if he were older than his mother, considering when this flashback takes place. :iiam:

As for the shot, it's up for longer than you'd think, and at no point obscured by dialogue boxes. That man is also in more than one shot for the flashback. But if I know anything about Suikoden III, it's that it likes to lure you into one idea just to prove that it was being misleading after.

yokaiy fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 2, 2013

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

The whole reunion scene is great. And then you have Lily running around being clueless and :byodame: FLAME CHAMPION!

Somehow it works.

KataraniSword posted:

Barbarossa and Joshua certainly weren't treated as immortal

:objection:

Barbarossa doesn't keep his on his body, so I'm not sure if it counts.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
They also might've mentioned the two halves of the Gate Rune as the reason why Leknaat and Windy never age. At the very least it's heavily implied. Though really, I can excuse anyone that passes their immortality off as a result of being *=~Mystical Prophets~=* or some such.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Also, Barbarossa wasn't immortal because he didn't bear the Sovereign Rune himself. It was, if memory serves, on his "Star Dragon Sword" (which fueled a bit of confusion on my part the first time I played I since Viktor had a sword with the same freaking name.)

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

Verant posted:

Also, Barbarossa wasn't immortal because he didn't bear the Sovereign Rune himself. It was, if memory serves, on his "Star Dragon Sword" (which fueled a bit of confusion on my part the first time I played I since Viktor had a sword with the same freaking name.)

According to google it was called the Dragon King Sword.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

Huh. Neat that they bothered giving Jimba a class, but no stats. Are there other characters whose stats remain hidden until they join you, or is he unique? I mean, aside from appearing in 50 year old flashbacks?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Nighteyedie posted:

According to google it was called the Dragon King Sword.

In the first game, Viktor's Star Dragon Sword would change names at certain levels just like the rest. It's 3rd and final name was... Dragon King Sword. Which caused plenty of confusion, I'm sure.

Fortunately, S2 (and I think 3) keep it as Star Dragon Sword no matter what level it's at.

Invenerable posted:

Huh. Neat that they bothered giving Jimba a class, but no stats. Are there other characters whose stats remain hidden until they join you, or is he unique? I mean, aside from appearing in 50 year old flashbacks?

Yes, guest stats are merely hidden. Jimba will join as a fighter later on (with absolutely no fanfare either, so you might not even know you have him).

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Invenerable posted:

Bufuman posted:

Yes, guest stats are merely hidden. Jimba will join as a fighter later on (with absolutely no fanfare either, so you might not even know you have him).

Yeah, Jimba is only unique because, unless I am forgetting someone, he's the only one who joins as a guest that later joins as a fighting unit instead of a support. I'll have to check if we get classes on our other guests next time we get one, though. That shouldn't be too long from now, we get one pretty early on in this upcoming chapter.

Also, I'd call you guys out on revealing that he's a star, but really? He's got a name and face. It's hardly a secret. :haw:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also, unlike other games in the series, there's like ONE person who has a portrait and isn't a SOD. See if you can guess who it is!

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Lulu.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.
The Flame Champion!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

vilkacis posted:

:objection:

Barbarossa doesn't keep his on his body, so I'm not sure if it counts.

I stand corrected! It's just hidden away on NPCs that I've forgotten about decades later. :downs: The bit about the Sovereign Rune not being on Barbarossa's body (kind of like the Star Dragon Sword/Night Rune and the Beast Rune) was something I noted, but since the Dragon Rune and the Gate Rune were kept fairly low-key, I guess it never really registered.

Fister Roboto posted:

Also, unlike other games in the series, there's like ONE person who has a portrait and isn't a SOD. See if you can guess who it is!

I bet it's a squirrel. Or the game's squirrel-equivalent.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Isn't it Lulu? Since he's dead and all.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Actually on second thought it's more like three or four characters. Still pretty funny compared to other games in the series.

mageofthesands
Jan 2, 2013
I think I know what's special in that screenshot. The duck. He's really the Flame Champion, right?

Lilly is like the player that already knows enough of the backstory, no I don't need more exposition, I get it already, can we go now? And then the henchmen will give her a tutorial on Potch management as soon as they step out of the cave.

Actually, she probably set the AI to manage her finances at the start of her trip, completely overestimating it's ability.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Warenheit or whatever his name is. The parrot that the commodities trader has.

Portrait. Not a star.

:smug:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

FairGame posted:

Warenheit or whatever his name is. The parrot that the commodities trader has.

Portrait. Not a star.

:smug:

He's bundled in with the trader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Testekill posted:

He's bundled in with the trader.

Come to think of it, it's the same deal with Branky. Portrait, not a Star, is technically a unit with Mel. Of course, the question of whether he's actually alive or not is a different matter.

• Locked thread