Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

KataraniSword posted:

I bet it's a squirrel. Or the game's squirrel-equivalent.

Dog, actually. We've already gotten Koroku, the first one, and he actually is a star. There are some others that aren't, who we'll be adopting eventually. :3:

But yes, Suikoden III is rather skewed towards the portrait-means-they're-a-star thing, much more so than the others in the series. I'm pretty okay with that, though. It means an overall slightly smaller cast, but that's still over 108 so it's not like it's a significant drop. If we're counting Branky, Waurenhyte, the rest of the stray dogs, and Lulu, I can't even think of 10 people who have portraits that aren't stars.

That seems really low. Hmmmm. Maybe I'm forgetting some people...

Anyway, as a heads up, I won't have anything for you guys this week. I'll try to put together an update on monday, but no promises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Whoa, wait. There's another castle? Are all our protagonists going to have their own castles?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yes, and the Princess is in it.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Genso Suikogaiden - Playthrough 1 - Part 3 - 28x Night of Farewells

Yeah, I am super lame. What are you gonna do about it? :colbert:

(Click for music.)

: "Rean..."

Illuminated by the moonlight streaming through colorful stained glass windows sat the figure of an elegant young man quietly playing a pipe-organ.

And this, dear friends, is Rean. I don't know where to start with him. He's terribly generic looking, but he was kind of worse in the flashback. At least regarding his outfit. I really don't know what he was thinking with those shoulder-feathers, though.

Sierra, you were lucky to get out of this relationship before he started gluing birds to black velvet.

: "It has been a long time, Rean. I did not know where you had gone, but now I have finally found you..."

: "I see... Since then... I wonder... how much time has passed? The days without you..."

For some reason, I keep wanting to put an e at the end of his name.

: "Stop spouting nonsense. The transient life I gave you... I will have you return it here."

: "Is that so? I see, how like you... How very like you, Sierra."

: "For the sake of pleasure and prolonging your own life, you have devoured the blood of humans and toyed with their lives. What you have done is unforgivable."

: "That is the true form of the Moon Rune. We are vampires, Sierra. This is the way it should be... That sweet, pleasant taste... When you drank my blood..."

: "Silence!"

I like how he's acting. He's pretty obviously trying to get a rise out of her, and it's working.

: "Sierra! Why?! Why must we live in fear? Why must we, who are not human, have human hearts? What is the reason for that? Why must we, with our bodies brimming with power, hide like creatures of darkness when we are superior to humans? Sierra... don't tell me you still pretend you're human? Poor Sierra..."

: "I told you to stop spouting nonsense!! Have you forgotten?! That day, you said 'If this is my fate, I accept it', did you not?! Though you said that, you still fight for your life, when you should have returned it to me. If you could not do that, then the only thing waiting for you was perishing. Now, there is only one choice left..."

: "Sierra!"

She drives a small dagger through his chest.

: "Si...erra..."

: "I will chant the 'Song of Evanescence'... Your transient life... Is over."

: "Such... cold words... in my last moments..."

: "Thank you... Rean. Those days we spent together... I was truly happy..."

: "!?"

For this, imagine basically the cheesiest chomping sound effect you can manage to think of, because it was really dumb-sounding. Zosephine and I both promptly started laughing. Remember, sound effects are important, and a bad one can ruin the moment.

: "It-it can't be!"

: "Rean.... you planned... This... from the beginning..."

His meek manner...

His provocative outburst...

It had all been for this moment.

He knew that he couldn't overpower Sierra, the Founder. So, to survive, he took Sierra's blood...

His goal had been to steal her power.

Her blood drained, it seemed Sierra couldn't move. Holding her, he slowly turned towards me with an evil grin.

: "You bastard! What are you planning to do with Sierra?!"

: "Don't worry. She will live here, with me. She was my master, but now I am hers, and she is my follower..."

: "You... It's thanks to Sierra that you were able to live as long as you have..."

: "And I'm grateful for that. Thanks to her, I can enjoy life eternal, and taste true pleasure."

My back is burning.

The cursed blades that were concealed there were responding to my anger, urging me to draw them out.

But I can't give in to them. If I draw those swords, I'll lose sight of myself, I'll be blind with murderous rage.

: "What's wrong, human? Aren't you going to come at me? Or are you frozen in fear? It's okay. I don't blame you. A mere human without the protection of a True Rune cannot possibly hope to best me."

Here, the glow around one of our luck points on the side means that we'll be using it up to perform this action.

I can feel Rean's tremendous power pressing in. Normal attacks probably won't be of any use.

Before I realized what I was doing, my left hand reached around to my back and grasped the pair of snake-swords there....

There's a brief flash of Nash, at a younger age, lashing out with the cursed swords, before it returns to the scene at hand.

: "Khhhhhhhhh!!"

Before I knew what was happening, Rean's presence overwhelmed me.

Irritatingly, I relied on those swords without even understanding their true horror.

: "Ho! Your expression has changed. Looks like you're prepared to do this now."

I scowl at Rean.

He's still holding Sierra in his left arm.

Is he trying to say he can beat me one-handed?

: "Human, this has nothing to do with you, does it? I told you I would let you leave. It would be best for you to just walk away. Why oppose me?"

Because you're a huge butt-face, Rean, and I won't be happy until your butt is literally in your face.

Because I'm gonna kick your butt so hard

that you

shut up

: "Ho, so you say, but what do you intend to do? Kill me?"

: "Yeah, in the name of the Latkje family! I will defeat you!"

: "An oath, hm? In that case, show me your power. Fulfill your oath."

Rean is very wordy.

Rean's right hand shone with a radiance that distorted the surroundings.

The air trembled as I leapt away from the shock wave, creating a gaping hole where I had been standing.

He's also a huge cheater.

: "Can you dodge the next one as well?"

Once again, he attacks me with a shock wave.

I dodge it by a hair's breadth, thinking to counterattack Rean, but my right shoulder is grazed, and I'm sent flying in the opposite direction.

: "Guh... too close for comfort..."

: "Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! What happened to that confidence of yours?"

Shock waves struck me, one after another.

I avoided taking the blows straight on, but the way things are going I'll be finished before long.

Belatedly I realize that he now has me cornered.

: "There's nowhere to run. This is the end..."

: "You shouldn't use such cheesy one-liners. Even when you say it's the end, it never is..."

:iceburn:

I raised my left hand above my head and, with a flick of my wrist, show an anchored wire out of my sleeve to wrap around the railing on the terrace above.

Tugging at the wire with all my strength, I use the recoil to pull myself up through the air and onto the terrace.

Somehow I'd managed to escape my predicament.

I had probably bought myself a little time. Will it be enough to set up more tricks?

While I thought about these things, I ran up the stairs that led outside the dome.

Ahh, a rooftop battle. Wonderful!

: "He's slow... Does he think I escaped? Or did he lose his nerve?"

: "Who lost his nerve?"

Oh, I guess he can fly now.

Okay.

Raising my eyes, I found Rean. Still holding Sierra in his arms, floating above the dome, bathed in moonlight.

The power of magic...

: "You're an interesting fellow, for a human... What have you got up your sleeve this time?"

You know, Rean is very haughty, and more than a little racist, for someone who used to be a human.

: "Well, I haven't figured that out just yet."

:allears:

: "A magician never reveals his secrets, hm?"

Gliding smoothly, Rean closed the gap between us. If I get caught by that right hand of his, I'm as good as dead.

Nash dodges some very threatening, albeit unimpressive, blue lights and swooshy sounds. I'm gonna let that slide because this is a visual novel, but still.

: "Good heavens, you're a quick one..."

: "Here's the next one!"

I had hoped to catch him off guard by suddenly firing a dart at him, but he just casually brushed it off.

: "... is that the best you've got?"

But I, not waiting for him to speak, had run to the opposite side of the dome.

Rean swung his right hand down at me, only to suddenly pull it back in mid-air. The recoil knocked him off balance.

: "W-what?!"

A strong but thin steel wire, spun using a special Harmonian technique, bound Rean's right hand to the tip of the dome, preventing it from moving freely.

To make this trick work, I had intentionally sacrificed that dart.

Twisting my body, I reached out towards Rean's face and ignited the gunpowder.

There's a flash on the screen, and a loud noise to go with it.

: "Uorghhhhh!!!"

Since his right hand was tied up, he had to loosen his grip on Sierra to try and protect himself.

I dashed forward, and caught Sierra, but the shock of the explosion blew us back.

: "I'm counting on you!!!"

Sierra and I rolled down the tome. Just as we were about to roll off the dome and into the air, I thrust a dagger into the roof with my right hand.

My hand shook under the impact and the combined weight of two people as I struggled to keep my grip on the hilt, praying to the gods it would hold...

: "Whew... t-that was lucky..."

Trying to get a handle on the situation, I check to see how Sierra is doing.

Sierra's body is lifeless.

Rean must have stolen nearly all of her power.

: "I will not forgive you for this!!!"

I managed to shield Sierra from Rean's terrifying attack, but there's no time to escape and Rean seized me instantly.

: "Hahahahaha! Human! Squeal! Groan! Whimper! The more unsightly your cries, the better!"

: "Ghh...!!"

: "Foolish human, did you really think you were a match for a King of Darkness? Suffer! Suffer! Mourn your wretched life!"

: "Heh... You're... the... foolish one..."

: "I tire of your incessant chatter! I will shut your mouth once and for all!!"

Spoiler: he doesn't.

Because Sierra stabs him through the chest with her hand.

: "Si... erra... why.. y...?"

: "Your arm around me... It was as warm as before... It felt like I was in a familiar dream... So why... did you let go..."

: "I... see... you drank... his... blood..."

: "Because... I could never... beat you on my own..."

: "Gods, spirits of the dead, I beseech you... Have mercy on this being and forgive him."

: "S-Sierra... please... w-wait..."

: "Ashes to ashes. Dust to dust. The spirit, to the place of rebirth."

: "I... I... just... wanted... To go... back..."

: "I pray... Let this being in under the light..."

: "To live... with you... In that... forest... Forever... That's why... eternal life..."

: "Farewell... Rean."

: "Rean... I..."

With Rean destroyed, it seemed the undead in the mansion had shared the same fate. As the morning dawned, we left behind the mansion that had finally gotten its serenity back after many years.

: "Alright..."

: "Hey, that was different!"

: "........."

: "Hey, I said..."

: "Would it help you if I did?"

: "Hmph. It was foolish of me to expect anything else from you..."

: "Ah! Hey! Why are you mad at me?! Wait a minute! Heeeeey! Am I supposed to carry this again? Wait up!"

And so I wound up carrying both Sierra and her luggage again.

We walked for a full day and it was nearly dusk before we finally came across an inn on the main road.

We stayed the night there. I was exhausted from fighting the night before.

As soon as I got into the room I collapsed on the bed without even eating dinner.

When I woke up, it was the middle of the night. I raised myself up and saw Sierra sitting at the window, dimly lit by a lamp.

: "Yeah..."

: "Dinner is over. The landlady was celebrating her complete recovery. It was quite an extravagant affair."

: "I see... That's too bad..."

: "......... Hey, Sierra... The 27 True Runes... That power... is it a burden?"

: "It is your job to find out the answer to that question, is it not...?"

: "Yeah, I guess so... But... for me, it's just a 'job.' For you, it's 'destiny.' "

: "......... I am grateful to the Moon Rune. These long years I have lived were not all filled with pain."

: "Even if you'll always.., be alone?"

: "Yes.... Time does not pass for me as it does for humans."

: "Hey, Sierra. If I.. I'm saying if, um... If I've lived long enough as a human... and no longer have any interest in that... "

:3:

: "Wha!! W-wait a minute! Hold on! I take it back! I wasn't thinking!!"

: "... nngh?! I... I can't move my body!"

: "Heheheh... you do not know when to give up. Now, I have a valid reason to feed."

: S-stop! You got to do that once, as a favor! Not another drop of blood...!"

: "Wh....! Hey... But... ugh... ......... ......... ........."

The next morning. When I woke up, Sierra wasn't in her bed and her luggage had dissappeared. Typical of her not to say goodbye.

Well, that's fine with me.

: "Jeez... The information I got about True Runes... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... Ahhhhhhhhh!!!"

(click for music)

: "Sorry, baggage boy. The truth is, aside from the Moon Rune, I do not know much about True Runes. After all, I was in that forest for a long time."

With Sierra's parting, we've reached the end of the first episode of Suikogaiden. Next, some serious overlap with II.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Wow. I'd read summaries of the Suikogaidens and knew roughly how chapter 1 went down, but somehow those don't quite convey "I wouldn't mind walking down that path with you." Both terribly sweet and amazingly dense. No wonder people assume Sierra is his 'missus'.
Also. Young Nash is adorable.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

yokaiy posted:

Yeah, I am super lame. What are you gonna do about it? :colbert:

Well I could buy you an avatar with a bunch of red text and a stupid duck

...oh :eng99:

quote:

Irritatingly, I relied on those swords without even understanding their true horror.

"Irritatingly." That word is my goofy "chomp" sfx for this part. :rant:

edit:

also

yokaiy posted:

: "Yeah, in the name of the Latkje family moon!"

:negative:

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 16, 2013

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

vilkacis posted:

: "Yeah, in the name of the Latkje family moon!"

You wouldn't believe how close I was to doing that exact thing and just leaving it. :allears:

CmdrKing posted:

Wow. I'd read summaries of the Suikogaidens and knew roughly how chapter 1 went down, but somehow those don't quite convey "I wouldn't mind walking down that path with you." Both terribly sweet and amazingly dense. No wonder people assume Sierra is his 'missus'.
Also. Young Nash is adorable.

Yes. It's a really good line. I just wish it had gotten it's own text box so I wouldn't have had to saddle it on to the end of the previous line. It stands on it's own very well.

Sierra and Nash play really well off of each other, and I really do hope she is the 'missus' they refer to. It would also explain how little he's aged in 15 years -- he's probably not a "human" anymore from all that blood-sucking. I dunno if he's a vampire or thrall or what, though.

Also, yes, he is adorable. :3:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, that was a pretty rollicking conclusion.

It is kind of hilarious how that ends, though. "Just because I have a True Rune doesn't mean I know anything about the other ones, geez."

Isn't it only Leknaat who actually has a True Rune and knows about some of the other ones?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Glazius posted:

Okay, that was a pretty rollicking conclusion.

It is kind of hilarious how that ends, though. "Just because I have a True Rune doesn't mean I know anything about the other ones, geez."

Isn't it only Leknaat who actually has a True Rune and knows about some of the other ones?

It seems like Leknaat and Windy were the only two actually in the know about the Runes. Yuber certainly doesn't know much outside of who holds some of them and if he should murder them or not. He should murder them

Edit: I'm pretty sure that Yuber bearing the eightfold rune isn't a spoiler but I'll delete this poo poo if necessary.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Testekill posted:

It seems like Leknaat and Windy were the only two actually in the know about the Runes. Yuber certainly doesn't know much outside of who holds some of them and if he should murder them or not. He should murder them

Edit: I'm pretty sure that Yuber bearing the eightfold rune isn't a spoiler but I'll delete this poo poo if necessary.

I'm guessing True Rune bearers get most of their rune knowledge from being Tenkai stars or following a Tenkai star who happens to have a True Rune.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Testekill posted:

No worries, I already said he was in the LP post when we picked a fight with him. :haw:

But yeah, I think basically True Rune bearers only know things about their own -- and even then, the amount they know can vary pretty greatly. Doesn't help that the True Runes themselves are all pretty different. I'd go out on a limb and say Jeane probably knows things too, but aside from that? Uhhh.... maybe one other in this game, but it hasn't come up yet.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

yokaiy posted:

No worries, I already said he was in the LP post when we picked a fight with him. :haw:

But yeah, I think basically True Rune bearers only know things about their own -- and even then, the amount they know can vary pretty greatly. Doesn't help that the True Runes themselves are all pretty different. I'd go out on a limb and say Jeane probably knows things too, but aside from that? Uhhh.... maybe one other in this game, but it hasn't come up yet.

I'd argue that there are a few in this game.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Generally speaking actual knowledge of different True Runes seems to stem just from sheer age. So those that have them just happen to have the time and drive (ie being immortal, possessing nigh-godlike power, and having their lives dicked with on a daily basis) to learn more about them. ... aside from Sierra, who I believe is the oldest encountered Rune-bearer in the series at 800-odd years old. But like she said, she spent most of that time hiding in the woods.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Well, Hikusaak assuming he's still alive, of course might know more about the other runes due to Harmonia's intelligence networks and rune collecting, but that wouldn't help Nash too much.

But I have to admit, that was a pretty cute ending there. Not sure why Nash screamed in surprise. Did he realize that Sierra basically told him nothing, or was it something else?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Verant posted:

But I have to admit, that was a pretty cute ending there. Not sure why Nash screamed in surprise. Did he realize that Sierra basically told him nothing, or was it something else?

Given the rest of the line, yeah, I'd say it was a sudden realization that, aside from the Night Rune, Sierra gave him approximately fuckall as far as information.

Meaning he got his blood sucked for pretty much naught.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
If no one got it, the ending scene was at Alex's Inn on the road to Muse, just after Riou and company recieved his passport.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

cdyoung posted:

If no one got it, the ending scene was at Alex's Inn on the road to Muse, just after Riou and company recieved his passport.

I need to read more carefully in the future. I completely missed the part about Hilda's "complete recovery".

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Wasn't there supposed to be a scene where You fight the maid from earlier and she reveals she killed the family of kobolds? Or is that some kind of alternate route thing.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

cdyoung posted:

I completely missed that. Well, we'll be seeing some more obvious overlap soon, at least.

Verbose posted:

Wasn't there supposed to be a scene where You fight the maid from earlier and she reveals she killed the family of kobolds? Or is that some kind of alternate route thing.

If you're really mean to Sierra, then yeah. Or something, anyway -- not too sure on the specifics. You get one of two mini-bosses, and we ended up with the butler as ours.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Geddoe Chapter 2.1 - Information Fishing and Monster Hunting

Ahh, the spies. It's been far too long. :allears:

We rejoin Geddoe bright and early at the inn. Last time, you may recall, the group had decided to procrastinate as long as possible before heading back to the Grasslands for information.

They were kind enough to take their break while we were busy being other people, so all that's left now is to collect our belongings comrades and head out.

: "Hm? Are you leaving?"

: "Oh, Captain. Are you leaving?"

We have to talk to Ace and Aila to pick them up, but the rest of our gang is elsewhere.

If we'd opted to just leave the inn, the two would have stopped Geddoe at the entrance and given him a hard time for leaving them behind.

Outside, the NPCs have taken notice of the mass exodus of mercenary units. We'll be taking a pit-stop on those stairs in the back before finding the others, though.

Getting close triggers a cutscene.

: "I have some messy business to take care of. Wait here."

I figured this one deserved a screen shot.

: "Yeah, we'll be waiting."

: "It won't take long."

Geddoe strolls over to a specific stall. One which, you may recall, was not open for business last time we checked.

: "What do you have that's in season?"

: "We have this blue fruit from the north. Would you like a taste?"

: "How much is it?"

The "stall owner" looks off to the side before answering pretty much every time Geddoe asks a question, so imagine him being about as sketchy as you'd expect from a detective pretending to be a merchant.

Geddoe shakes his head before replying.

He's being surprisingly straight-forward with his vagueness.

Geddoe means business.

: " You drive a hard bargain, but you've always been good to me. I'll do it for 3."

I appreciate how they had this man actually bend down to get something.

Geddoe takes the bag and begins to leave, turning to acknowledge the transaction one last time.

: "There's more. There's a letter for you from that man. I put it in there."

: "Good. He's always dependable."

: "Maybe so."

Geddoe leaves for real this time, rejoining Ace and Aila down below.

Not having been quite mysterious enough yet for this update, though, Geddoe approaches his companions, gives a nod in Ace's direction, and then starts walking without a word.

: "Yes, you could say that."

: "You think?"

: "Hahahaha..."

There's a lot of walking away really abruptly in this section, I think.

A short jog over to the inn later...

We trip another cutscene.

: "That was my intention, but there were other things going on."

They don't seem very pleased by this news.

: "Harmonia's Frontier Forces?"

The Frontier Forces are different from the Souther Frontier Defense Force, which Geddoe & co. are, as the Frontier Forces are part of the regular army. The invade-y part, to be specific.

: "There's also a Bishop with them. But that's not so strange."

: "I see..."

The scene shifts to a unit of the Frontier Forces, as the Geddoe Force decides to see what the hubbub is about.

They don't look very happy to be there.

They stand at attention in front of two men.

The Man in Coat being one of them, as well as a rather bored looking young man in blue.

Trenchcoat moves forward to address the masses.

: "I'm sure you've all heard of the bandits known as the Fire Bringer!"

He's quite the orator.

Hikusaak is still the leader of Harmonia, by the way. That didn't change since last time we heard about him.

Albert gestures to the still-bored-looking Sasarai, who steps forward on cue.

Seriously, though. Look at that guys face. "Oh, am I doing a thing now? Fiiiine."

: "We shall head to the village of the Safir Clan, one of the Six Clans. It is there that those despicable Fire Bringer and Iroh, the Flame Champion, are reportedly hiding."

This can only end well for the Safir Clan.

: "I strive to ensure continued peace between Harmonia and Grassland."

Now that we've been formally introduced to him, I'd like to still implore the thread not to talk about Sasarai very much, or those related to him. I guess we can talk about how short he is compared to Albert now, though.

Meanwhile, our spies are lurking in the background.

I'll say, considering they dragged a Bishop all the way out here.

: "They must be, to come all the way out here... But, as for this Flame Champion... they should stop spreading old wives' tales."

: "For sure. I think we've seen everything we can here. Let's go."

: "Let him answer my question first!"

: "Well, we could simply follow the Frontier Force. But why would they send in the regular army for this? In all my years, I've never seen this go on before!"

I wonder how long Ace has been working for Harmonia.

Aila throws a small fit here, waving her arms in the air and bouncing up and down in her chair. She's finished with it by the time the whole text bubble shows up, though.

I suppose she's not used to the subtle life of being a spy quite yet. :haw:

: "You look too much like a Karaya girl. If we had taken you with us, who knows what kind of trouble you'd have gotten us into?!"

: "...."

: I say we move out. We need to do something besides sleep here."

: "No. We'll head off to Le Buque now."

: "Le Buque?! I heard that's the village of the Mantor trainers."

: "That's right."

: "??????"

: "Yeah."

: "It's settled, then. Why not head out soon?"

: "Good idea. Time is scarce. This could turn into a fire like no one's seen since the city alliance wars 15 years ago."

See: Suikoden II.

: "Don't say that."

: "Weren't you sleeping upstairs?"

: "I couldn't fall asleep there, so I went up in a tree outside."

:allears:

Again, the game saves us from watching the group pack, as we rejoin them once again as they're leaving.

: "Don't go getting us lost now!"

He really tries, doesn't he?

Geddoe and Joker don't dignify the display with a response, walking off wordlessly.

Ace gives up and follows behind them.

Jacques runs past the two girls, stopping to look back at them before meeting up with the boys at the entrance.

: "Slackers, huh?"

Le Buque opens up on our map. It's hardly a walk at all.

It just requires us going down that northern path we avoided last time on our way to Caleria. We wouldn't even have to fight the treasure boss if we hugged the wall a bit.

Ha, who am I kidding?

The Rock Golem is definitely a step up from the Twin Snakes, but it's still not very impressive.

It has a LOT of HP, though, and a pretty ridiculous amount of defense. The fight will be fairly long, at the very least.

Even shock therapy could stand for a little boost, though 900 damage is a vast improvement on everyone else.

As far as it's attacks go...

It's got this punchy thing, which hits everyone near his target for some pretty good damage.

Additionally, it has a normal punch...

A jumping attack...

And an arm-swing, which is actually an AoE but for some reason the other damage-counts didn't come up immediately

However, with Aila on healing duty...

You shouldn't have any problems.

Like usual, we get a treasure chest full of good stuff. Not pictured, some more armor, some more medicine, a new doghouse for Koroku, and a ?Statue.

Of note, the Blood armor is Really drat Good, but deals 15 damage per turn. Also of note, that Stone of Magic will increase someone's Magic stat. It's going to Geddoe.

Now, we could head where we're supposed to.

Or, we could traverse half the map and go to Budehuc.

But we did not come here solely to give Koroku a present!

We also came to visit Eike.

In our journeys so far, we've collected some smelly old books. We can take these to Eike to hold on to, and to read if we want to.

These are all the ones we've collected so far.

Taraq's List of Finds posted:

In my travels, I have seen these items, beyond the grandest dreams. But as the winds of trade are strong, stock will not be plentiful for long.
-TARAQ THE WANDERER

Karaya Clan

Lightning Leather
Fish Badge

Duck Clan

Gold Beak
Blue Ribbon
Water Amulet
Wall Crystal
Hazy Crystal

Vinay del Zexay

Master Garb
Turtle Tunic
Black Warrior Tunic
Premier Tunic
Lightning Leather
Thunderbolt Leather
True Byakko Chain Mail
Premier Armor
Wind Amulet
Yellow Scarf
Sunbeam Crystal
Warrior Crystal

Iksay Village

Rose Brooch
Alert Crystal
Waking Crystal
Golden Hammer

Guild Hall

Flame Armor
Armor of Rage
Byakko Chain Mail
True Byakko Chain Mail
Guardian Shield
Flame Amulet
Gold Emblem
Hunter Crystal
Rose Vase
Painting: Knight

Alma Kinan

Wind Amulet
Killer Crystal
Hazy Crystal
Goddess Statue

Caleria

Premier Helmet
Guardian Chain Mail
Custom Chain Mail
True Thunderbolt Leather
Gloves of Destiny
Thunder Amulet
White Rose Brooch
Wizard Crystal

Chisha Clan

Silver White Robe
Chief's Hat
Prosperity Hat
Lion God Ring
Prosperity Ring
Wizard Crystal
Medal Set #4

Lizard Clan

Byakko Chain Mail
True Byakko Chain Mail
Custom Chain Mail
Thunderbolt Leather
Premier Tunic
Crown of Destiny
Dragon Tail Ornament
Mole Gloves
Counter Crystal
Violence Crystal

Brass Castle

Lightning Leather
Thunderbolt Leather
True Thunderbolt Leather
Byakko Chain Mail
Chaos Shield
Mangosh
Gold Emblem
Wind Amulet
Thunder Amulet
Flame Amulet
Medicine Crystal
Killer Crystal
Wu-ts'ai Urn

Le Buque

Windspun Armor
Mole Shield
Premier Casque
Custom Tunic
Thunder Amulet
Pale Moon Casque
Counter Crystal
Hazy Crystal

Trader's Handbook posted:

Every good trader gathers information. At every place you visit, check the prices of goods.

When you notice price differences, buy where and item is cheap and sell where it is expensive.

Shops need time to replenish supplies you've bought. Use that time to visit other shops. Sell what you have, then buy goods said to be desired elsewhere.

One famous trader bought salt in Caleria and sold it for triple the price in Vinay del Zexay. Deer antlers were cheap there. He took several back to Caleria and made a fortune! If only his pet dragon hadn't eaten it all.

Your ability to carry items is limited. Store your purchases at the warehouse if you can't sell them right away.

Keep your ear to the wall, and the wind! You never know when a story you head will point the way to a hefty profit.

Dunan Unification War posted:

In 460 (solar calendar), an alliance of cities knows as the City-State of Jowston broke a ceasefire agreement without warning, and annihilated the Highland Youth Army. In response, Prince Luca Blight of Highland invaded Toto and Ryube villages, spawning the Dunan Unification War. Jowston leaders sought more cooperation among cities, but were denied even as Highland killed Mayor Annabel and captured her city, Muse, the most important of Jowston cities. South Window City fell next. Total Highland victory was certain until the remnants of the State Army joined with mercenaries at North Window Castle to organize a new resistance movement against Prince Blight. These new allied forces were led by the son of the hero Genkaku, who had saved Jowston in the past. The new allied forces endured Highland attacks and succeeded in rescuing Greenhill City Mayor Teresa Wisemail.

After Matilda Knightdom dismissed a request for military help, half of its knights defected to join the new allied forces. With their numbers augmented, they launched a challenge against Highland, which was now completely controlled by Luca Blight as emperor, due to the sudden death of his father, Agares. Despite Highland's numerical superiority, its army was unable to deliver a decisive blow against the allies led by Shu, a clever tactician. Emperor Blight chose to sneak-attack the heard of the allied forces. The plan was discovered in advance, however, and the allied forces waited patiently for Blight's ambush. Under a full moon, the slaughter was reversed, with the attackers not even realizing they'd been surrounded. Emperor Luca's death passed the throne to Princess Jillia's husband of 17 years, Jowy Blight. Inspired by the ambush, the allied forces liberated Tinto City and Greenhill City. They went on to capture the Matilda Knightdom's stronghold, Rockaxe Castle, and then turned their attention to the Highland imperial capital, L'Renouille. Nearly everyone defending the capital died. Emperor Jowy Blight was last seen during the torching of the city. The Highland Kingdom was no more, and the royal Blight family legacy came to an end.

This book sucks to type up is interesting because, while it does sort of sum up the evens of Suikoden II, not all the information presented in it is completely correct. Some of the information will also change depending on if you have clear data from I and II.

Win the Lottery! posted:

If you want to get filthy rich, the lottery is your ticket. Here's all you need to know.

Q1: How can I buy tickets?
A1: Go to a lottery sales outlet! One ticket costs 100 potch. You can buy up to 10 tickets for a drawing, but only during the sales period. When the sales period stops, the drawing & payout period starts. That's when you should check your numbers and collect any winnings.

Q2: How much can I win?
A2: The typical range is 500,000 for 1st prize to 3,000 for 4th prize. Complimentary and grand prizes also exist. Complimentary prizes differ by seller.

The tricky part is cashing in your winners. That can only be done where you bought them. Remember that! And, for that matter, remember winning tickets can only be confirmed within 3 lottery draws after the one it was purchased for. Any later than that, your ticket is void!

But once you're identified a ticket as a winner, you're free to carry it around until it burns a hole in your armor.

The rest is up to you. Do you know the saying, 'Players win, watchers lose'? Well, it's true!

May you have the last dance with Lady Luck!

Worst book ever.

Gourmet Adventurer posted:

Every village and city has at least one specialty, and it'd be foolish not to try them all. Here, for the first time in one book, is all you need to know about the finest sustenance your potch can buy.

As any Lizard will tell you, the popularity of the SPECIAL STEW at the Great Hollow is well-deserved.

There's no use in going to Caleria if you're not going to indulge in their FRIED RICE.

Over at the Duck Village, they've got a TOMATO SOUP worth of being a lottery prize.

You don't have to be a Zexen to fall in love with the GRATIN in Vinay del Zexay.

In Iksay Village, the BEEF & POTATOES and GRILLED FISH taste just how mom used to make them!

CAKE is the quickest and sweetest way to every woman's heard in Alma Kinan Village.

Busy Le Buqueans know there's no beating the price and volume of the local LUNCH BOX.

CHINESE NOODLE SOUP is always worth a trip to Chisha Village. You haven't tried noodle soup like this before!

Even if you can't stomach the local water, always stop to enjoy the culinary delights.

We also say hi to a... uh... friend...?

Kathy, nearby, talks us into some horse racing.

I'm really bad at this game. Put simply, you run around a track and try not to run into walls or obstacles by either jumping over them or learning how to steer your horse.

You get stuff for going through within a certain time, but nothing interesting.

Additionally, we up some skills and sharpen our weapons, before heading out once more!

Geddoe, that's not the right way.

Well, okay.

Meet the Chimera, a new treasure boss that's taken up residence in the mines.

And now, say goodbye to it.

Treasure bosses in the mines are generally the weakest to fight. The Chimera hardly lasted two turns before evaporating.

We get more stuff, though! The Mother Earth is a powered up version of the Earth Rune. It moves all the casts down by nixing the first level spell and adding a new fourth level spell. It'll go on Aila to replace her current Earth Rune, but still might not actually ever see the light of day.

Not pictured but of note, Script #3, Old Book 11, and Medal Set #5. The book ends up being a bestiary, which I'll type up when we actually hand it over to Eike at some point.

While we're in the area, we stop by Vinay del Zexay.

This guy is still bad at jokes, but at least it's better than the last one? Maybe? Again, his dialogue seems catered to Hugo, which is strange considering Hugo can't come to Vinay in his chapter 2. :iiam:

I'm mildly entertained by this line. We're not Frontier Force, but still.

Next, we kill a crab in Mt. Hei-Tou on the way back to Le Buque.

It manages to do that bubble attack I mentioned earlier this time. For some reason, this attack doesn't actually poison anyone, which I have never understood.

It then gets slaughtered for more money and things. Not pictured, Medal Set #3.

Finally, back on the road to Le Buque. The treasure boss hadn't respawned like I hoped it might, though, so we'll just continue along.

The northern path has another two screens, but then we're out.

We can now proceed to Le Buque.

... Next time. :smug:

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
Great update!

Is there a reason the runes are called crystals in the book?

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Rivensteel posted:

Great update!

Is there a reason the runes are called crystals in the book?

It's a weird translation quirk of the series. I don't think I can give you a much better explanation other than "for some reason they're Crystals when not equipped or something." I think this happened in the first two games as well -- in shops and such, and maybe some dialogue. Strangely, in III they're only called Crystals in that one book unless I am misremembering.

e: VVV Haha. Obviously, he had a very long and painful operation to remove the hat from his head.

yokaiy fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 27, 2013

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

This still leaves the most important question of course: where is Sasarai's Hat! I mean, it couldn't have been that hard to render The Hat, we've got mister masked dude and his friends who're all way more complicated.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
RIP Sasarai's awesome hat IS 475

Verant fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 27, 2013

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Sasarai's hat was too good for this world. :(

I like how she still hasn't picked her head off the table :haw:

Geddoe's chapters are just full of the best things in Suikoden III.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

CmdrKing posted:

This still leaves the most important question of course: where is Sasarai's Hat! I mean, it couldn't have been that hard to render The Hat, we've got mister masked dude and his friends who're all way more complicated.

Verant posted:

RIP Sasarai's awesome hat IS 475

vilkacis posted:

Sasarai's hat was too good for this world. :(

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

For a time where animation wasn't that greatly emphasized on Suikoden 3 has tons of charm.

It's quite a ways away from the weird mocap in V.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Nah, the mocap in V was fine. The mocap in IV, though....

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Speedball posted:

turbo run :unsmigghh:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Speedball posted:

I dunno, still feels like it has a weird janky effect (though that may be from the mocap actors' exaggerated movements.). It's only the cutscenes though, I bet all the other animations are hand keyed.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 27, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Speedball posted:

IV had fantastic battle animations, though.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Azure_Horizon posted:

IV had fantastic battle animations, though.

You mean Jeane dry humping the air every time her HP got low?

Edit: while looking for an example of this I started watching battle animations/unites and I have to admit they are pretty good.

Dogdoo 8 fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 27, 2013

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I dunno, still feels like it has a weird janky effect (though that may be from the mocap actors' exaggerated movements.).
I think that's a thing in pretty much all mocapped Japanese games. I first noticed it in Dark Id's Clockwork Tower LP, and can't help but see it everywhere now.

mageofthesands
Jan 2, 2013
For the longest time I thought Sasarai was a woman. Not having any idea how that name is pronounced didn't help. Are we sure he's not secretly a JRPG protagonist?

That fruit vendor cannot appear any more unlegit. He's practically drawing attention to all the shadiness going down.

My theory regarding Sasarai's hat: The fifth time a scene had to be reworked due to the hat covering up other people, the animators revolted.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

mageofthesands posted:

My theory regarding Sasarai's hat: The fifth time a scene had to be reworked due to the hat covering up other people, the animators revolted.
That's my feeling as well, even though I'm very unfamiliar with the series outside of the current LPs of 3 and 5. If the hat in yokaiy's drawing is to scale, then either the hat was obstructing characters/backgrounds/objects too much for the director/artists' preferences or its color shading bled out into the background too much. We've seen that the game engine can handle headwear like a bowler hat, a Stetson, Augustine's hat and various helmets, so it's probably the size of the hat or problems with color shading that resulted in its removal.

Which is a shame, because if the hat really is the same size as yokaiy's rendering, it would have been so goofy and silly that I wouldn't be able to take Sasarai seriously.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Why does the Suikoden 2 book say that Jowy was Jillia's husband for 17 years?

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I dunno, still feels like it has a weird janky effect (though that may be from the mocap actors' exaggerated movements.). It's only the cutscenes though, I bet all the other animations are hand keyed.

Yeah, I like the III animations better. They're a little clunky sometimes, but there are just so many charming touches to how the characters move. The animations in IV and V are generally a little too over-the-top for me. Well, some of them are really nice there too.

mageofthesands posted:

For the longest time I thought Sasarai was a woman. Not having any idea how that name is pronounced didn't help. Are we sure he's not secretly a JRPG protagonist?

AradoBalanga posted:

That's my feeling as well, even though I'm very unfamiliar with the series outside of the current LPs of 3 and 5. If the hat in yokaiy's drawing is to scale, then either the hat was obstructing characters/backgrounds/objects too much for the director/artists' preferences or its color shading bled out into the background too much. We've seen that the game engine can handle headwear like a bowler hat, a Stetson, Augustine's hat and various helmets, so it's probably the size of the hat or problems with color shading that resulted in its removal.

Which is a shame, because if the hat really is the same size as yokaiy's rendering, it would have been so goofy and silly that I wouldn't be able to take Sasarai seriously.

I didn't actually exaggerate it very much. :haw: His promo art picture has a ridiculous hat as well. The man just likes large hats? I can appreciate his fond regard for hats, I guess, but my hat is of the normal-size variety.

Yeah, he is a very pretty guy, huh. I dare say he might be the prettiest in the game. You would not be the first person I know to think that Sasarai was a lady for a while there.

FairGame posted:

Why does the Suikoden 2 book say that Jowy was Jillia's husband for 17 years?

Nah, it said "of," as in he was 17 years old.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

yokaiy posted:

Nah, it said "of," as in he was 17 years old.

Ohhhhh

That's still confusing, since it can be interpreted as I did. In fact, I suspect my interpretation is the more common one.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

FairGame posted:

That's still confusing, since it can be interpreted as I did. In fact, I suspect my interpretation is the more common one.
Yeah, I'm also fairly sure that "spouse of X years" = "these two have been married for X years".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I liked the whole setup where there's a big public rally sending the soldiers off to one place but Geddoh's all "nah, here's where the real action is". Dual plot and character development!

• Locked thread