Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Shitenshi posted:

Does Hugo get Precision? It's been over ten years since I played this game, and that would definitely explain why I had no problems using the TFR.

Sadly, no, none of the three main characters do. In fact, only 5 characters in the game can get the skill. Two of them we have already (Alanis and Rody), and of the three future members, one of them is only available in the special 6th POV chapter. And yes, it's Sarah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Shitenshi posted:

I could never figure out what triggers people to go into defensive mode with fire magic. It's what enabled my FC Hugo's TFR to be on par with Geddoe's TLR right up to the final boss without smoking my whole team.

That and it would suck if FC Geddoe couldn't handle the Three Stooges after all this badass.

Like I said upthread, it's probably based on how many movement points they have leftover after completing their actions.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Like I said upthread, it's probably based on how many movement points they have leftover after completing their actions.
That makes sense considering most of my endgame strategy was Rune spamming and Unite spamming.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Chapter 4.2 - Fire feat. Geddoe

Once more, with :effort: !

I think you get how this scene starts by now.

Geddoe walks over to the table.

: "I couldn't fight the curse that came with the rune I bore in my body, but I admired your unbound and free-spirited way of living."

Whereas Geddoe found himself chained down by his Rune, Iroh saw it as an opportunity to advance.

He hesitates for a few moments before continuing. This is probably the first time he's "seen" Iroh since they parted ways decades ago.

: "When the True Rune bearer loses the rune, he suffers greatly and pays a high price... You traded that mighty power for mortal life."

: "And now..."

: "To fulfill his last request, I will open the door to the True Rune. Behind it, a challenge awaits you. By passing this test, you will prove your ability to bear the Rune's responsibilities."

I feel like Geddoe already knows how to bear a True Rune, but whatever.

: "All right... I know."

Yup.

: "Well then, let me guide you. Are you ready?"

Say "no" if you want to live. Being an idiot, I did not.

: "Yes."

: "Well then, please follow me."

He does so.

: "The True Fire Rune lies here. Proceed and open the door."

: "Huh?"

: "Ah, the test, I see..."

Okay, time to dance!

Thank goodness. We've still got the TLR for now.

The battle isn't any different than it was in Hugo's version. Just as a heads up.

True Fire doesn't even do the cool breath attack or anything -- just the fire-nado one.

Hugo gets at least one crit basically every time he attacks now. It's very reassuring.

We continue to zap it.

And then it dies.

Yeah.

I didn't really cap much of this fight since it wasn't interesting.

This is where it gets interesting, though.

The True Fire Rune enters his hand without much of a fuss, at first.

Geddoe drops his arm, and all seems well for the briefest of moments.

Then, there's a flash of light.

And he doubles over, sparks coming from his body.

I think the dialogue could have been a little more dramatic, but then, this is Geddoe we're talking about.

Another flash of light.

Hugo instinctively holds out his arm.

Geddoe rights himself, doing significantly better now that he doesn't have two gods fighting amongst themselves inside his hand.

: "The True Lightning Rune I used to bear has been sent to a new bearer by the True Fire Rune now within me."

: "Me? The True Lightning Rune?"

: "Yes."

^At least, I think that's the line. I just barely missed the cap and can't find a script of the Geddoe version anywhere.

:toot:

Now it's Geddoe's turn to have his chat with the other two. Or, at the other two, anyway.

: "This rune was once carried by a true friend."

Also, you might want to apologize for accidentally forcing immortality onto a child. Maybe.

Look how calm Geddoe looks here.

These guys again.

: "W-why are you here? This place is supposed to be sealed!"

: "You just unsealed it yourself. When I sought the rune previously, it was impossible to find this location. The Flame Champion must have been an extremely cunning man. I searched Le Buque, the Safir Clan... even Alma Kinan. He caused me a lot of trouble, but it doesn't matter now. I've found what I'm after. Give me the rune."

: "Why... you..."

:iceburn:

:sbahj:

These are some Grade A High Quality Burns. Too hot to handle. Fire pun 100% intended.

: "Let's get on with this, shall we? I'm a very busy man."

:allears:

: "Go ahead and resist. It'll give me a chance to practice my powers of persuasion!"

Cute.

: "So, shall we get started, Flame Champion?"

Okay, let's see what we've got.

:qq:

It would take Geddoe an entire turn just for the lowest level spell. That sucks. And Hugo's not gonna be using that True Lightning this time, either.

Actually, this whole battle is gonna suck. Terribly. I'm gonna lose this one very badly, just so you know.

It's what I get for loving around and experimenting. I have no actual idea what I was thinking.

So, let's start with a Wind of Sleep. Geddoe will be doing melee this turn, and Chris will be healing herself.

Sarah manages to get the first move in since she's a faster caster than Hugo, but it's not anything we really care about.

Wind of Sleep.

Ha! Told you it could work!

Yeah, it was news to me too.

Yuber decides to toss some lightning our way.

It does nothing.

You may notice that these things are alive this time around, so lemme show you what they can do as they prove to actually be a huge pain this time.

First, they have this swooping attack where they fly past the party and harm all of them.

They also have this AoE fire breath attack. Hugo goes down from this.

Also, there's this gross bubbly thing that looks like it would poison you but doesn't.

Finally, they have this air-cutter kind of attack.

In short, they're not very impressive, but there are three of them, so if you don't kill them, as I didn't here, they can get very annoying very quickly.

Yuber was still awake too, which was a damper on any chance I still had left in this battle, though I got lucky with Geddoe parrying a few times more than I thought I would.

Chris's rune was mildly helpful, but she only managed to put a dent in Yuber's HP.

The chimera to her side takes her down immediately after with the swooping attack, while Geddoe shows off a neat trick of his -- his Magic Repel skill.

In a (very) last ditch effort, I tried using one of the True Fire casts. This is Blazing Wall -- the L1 cast -- as it was the only one he could pull off in less than a turn.

It turns the floor into lava and does a fair amount of damage given the circumstances, though apparently not enough to kill anything.

Which means I'm hosed.

Yuber stabs him a couple times the next turn, and he goes down.

: "You'd better admit defeat and give us the rune."

: "No, please don't!"

:raise:

: "drat!"

Hey, buddy. Long time no see.

: "What was that? Was it the spirit of the last Flame Champion?"

: "It's just more futile resistance."

: "Please, hold it there. The gate has just been opened..."

: "What's happening?"

: "This place is filled with traces of the last Flame Champion's aura. It is not advisable to fight here. Sarah."

: "Yes, sir."

: "Why? Why can't we do as we choose? Is this the spirit force of the rune?"

: "Hold it!!!"

Three explanation points! Geddoe is not happy.

: "I will leave the rune with you for the time being, but I will be back soon..."

He leaves.

Joe will never not have the last word. :allears:

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Man, a "HOLD IT!!!" out of Geddoe? But I have so much trouble imagining him doing the Phoenix Wright pointer finger...

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I'm surprised Albert could bring himself to speak again after getting shut down so hard by Geddoe :allears:

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
It's okay Geddoe, you're still my Gedbro. Hugo just can't live up to your manliness.

Although nobody sucks as much as the magically illiterate Chris "Child killer weaker than Hugo" Lightfellow.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm surprised Albert could bring himself to speak again after getting shut down so hard by Geddoe :allears:

He cried about it for a while first.

yokaiy fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 27, 2014

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

yokaiy posted:

Yessss.....

Granted, after how much you've hyped Yuber to be this cold-hearted jackass, seeing him confused feels...off, for some reason.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

yokaiy posted:

Yes. Yes this is what I never knew I wanted more than anything.

Sarah: "You uh...you gonna be okay? :ohdear:"

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

AradoBalanga posted:

Yessss.....

Granted, after how much you've hyped Yuber to be this cold-hearted jackass, seeing him confused feels...off, for some reason.

Haha, that's fair. His expressions in the game seem to range from angry to seething, generally, so yeah. I was going for an "ew, you're gross, stop that" kind of expression, but this one kinda happened instead. I guess it's not every day that a cold and stoic man like Albert bursts in to tears -- good thing he had the entire battle to pull himself together since he doesn't fight. :haw:

Also had the idea of Albert in a rage and telling Yuber to "Sic 'em," but the thought only occurred after I'd doodled this one. Might draw it in addition anyway.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yes. Yes this is what I never knew I wanted more than anything.

Sarah: "You uh...you gonna be okay? :ohdear:"

No one is ever okay after getting burned by Geddoe. :colbert:

Shitenshi posted:

It's okay Geddoe, you're still my Gedbro. Hugo just can't live up to your manliness.

Although nobody sucks as much as the magically illiterate Chris "Child killer weaker than Hugo" Lightfellow.

At least she's not Gadget "Bucket of Bolts" Z?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

yokaiy posted:

Haha, that's fair. His expressions in the game seem to range from angry to seething, generally, so yeah. I was going for an "ew, you're gross, stop that" kind of expression, but this one kinda happened instead. I guess it's not every day that a cold and stoic man like Albert bursts in to tears -- good thing he had the entire battle to pull himself together since he doesn't fight. :haw:

Also had the idea of Albert in a rage and telling Yuber to "Sic 'em," but the thought only occurred after I'd doodled this one. Might draw it in addition anyway.

No one is ever okay after getting burned by Geddoe. :colbert:

At least she's not Gadget "Bucket of Bolts" Z?

I sincerely doubt anyone on Team Evil has the balls to tell Yuber "Sic 'em" except the Masked Bishop :v:

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

yokaiy posted:

I'm seeing it as more of a "oh god why am I still with these people" expression, which certainly fits some stuff he's said in their other scenes.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

yokaiy posted:

You are just a treasure :allears:

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

yokaiy posted:

I'm loving how Geddoe and the Masked Bishop are just staring at Albert in disappointed. "Really, that's all it took to make you break down? Some Silverberg."

yokaiy never stop doing your amazing things

Edit: REDACTED

Verant fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 1, 2014

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Verant posted:

I'm loving how Geddoe and the Masked Bishop are just staring at Albert in disappointed. "Really, that's all it took to make you break down? Some Silverberg."

yokaiy never stop doing your amazing things

I'll never stop, don't worry. :haw:

If you could spoiler that thing, though, I'd appreciate it. It's not a very big deal, but there is a reveal for it coming up pretty soon, and the fate of a potential table-flip hangs in the balance.

inverts
Jul 6, 2014
I drew this for the LP way back when it was relevant, but I only became a goon this weekend. When Duke finally got his duel with Geddoe in Geddoe's chapter 3, he seemed very... excited.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

inverts posted:

I drew this for the LP way back when it was relevant, but I only became a goon this weekend. When Duke finally got his duel with Geddoe in Geddoe's chapter 3, he seemed very... excited.

It's even better in the manga. Aila runs off chasing the Masked Bishop and co at the fire champions altar and Duke and the gang intercept them. Duke challenges Geddoe to the duel but Geddoe just flat out ignores them while everyone else is more concerned about Aila running off.

(Refuses to thumbnail for some reason)

Does not take it well at all. Seems like Duke has a gigantic and fragile ego. Can't blame Geddoe for ignoring him though, he's about 112 years old according to the manga so he's officially too old for this poo poo.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 8, 2014

inverts
Jul 6, 2014

Testekill posted:

It's even better in the manga. Aila runs off chasing the Masked Bishop and co at the fire champions altar and Duke and the gang intercept them. Duke challenges Geddoe to the duel but Geddoe just flat out ignores them while everyone else is more concerned about Aila running off.

Does not take it well at all. Seems like Duke has a gigantic and fragile ego. Can't blame Geddoe for ignoring him though, he's about 112 years old according to the manga so he's officially too old for this poo poo.

That is brilliant! I really enjoy seeing these bits of the manga that go with parts of the game. Thank you for sharing.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

inverts posted:

That is brilliant! I really enjoy seeing these bits of the manga that go with parts of the game. Thank you for sharing.

You haven't seen one of the best panels yet.

It's a toss up between this one and Jacques mistaking Gau for a dog for me. I just love the personality that the manga gives some characters.

Strayed
Mar 3, 2013

Testekill posted:

Doesn't Geddoe also just block his first attack and shock Duke into submission without so much as missing a step too? I think he literally says he doesn't have time to play with him.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

inverts posted:

Wonderful. It's now going in the OP. :allears:

Testekill posted:

Yep, he's confirmed at being probably 112 in the game as well, according to an investigation. Which I think makes him one of the oldest playable characters in the series, behind maybe Ted or something.

Strayed posted:

Doesn't Geddoe also just block his first attack and shock Duke into submission without so much as missing a step too? I think he literally says he doesn't have time to play with him.

They have a quick bit of banter between his blocking and retaliating, but yeah. Geddoe tells the others to go ahead of him and get Aila, which they do (pursued by the rest of Duke's team), and then Geddoe zaps him when no one else is there to bear witness. I am pretty sure that he also then proceeds to get to Aila before the rest of them do, in spite of giving them a pretty good head-start, because he is the best.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

yokaiy posted:

Yep, he's confirmed at being probably 112 in the game as well, according to an investigation. Which I think makes him one of the oldest playable characters in the series, behind maybe Ted or something.
Jeane has gotta be older than that. (Is that a S3 spoiler?)

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

PFlats posted:

Series spoilers: Is it even the same Jeane in each game?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

RaspberryCommie posted:

We'll probably never know since Konami decided that we needed spinoffs instead of new installments.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

PFlats posted:

RaspberryCommie posted:

"Wouldn't YOU like to know?!" Konami replied, blowing off every question ever asked about who or what Jeane -- or possibly the many Jeanes -- is/are.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Yeah, everything we know about Jeane is probably way too vague to be overtly spoilery. It would take some actual answers to really make a difference and who knows if that will ever happen at this point. Anyone who had a creative stake in Suikoden hasn't been at Konami for years.

But on the subject of character ages, Geddoe is probably up there with the oldest. Ted would be there too, and... Genoh, maybe? Just counting known quantities, not the enigmas.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.
As far as ages go, Geddoe and Ted are pretty much outstripped by Harmonia's founder (though that's a whole can of vague right there), Sierra, Sierra's ex who Nash killed in Suikogaiden, and the Gate Rune sisters.

Meanwhile, Jeane and Viki are enigmas wrapped in riddles surrounded by puzzles and tossed into the garbage by Konami because who cares about overarching plotlines when we can just staple the Suikoden name to any RPG we publish? For all we know, Jeane's just the incarnation of the True Rune of Skimpy Clothing and Suggestive Laughter or something.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Verant posted:

Meanwhile, Jeane and Viki are enigmas wrapped in riddles surrounded by puzzles and tossed into the garbage by Konami because who cares about overarching plotlines when we can just staple the Suikoden name to any RPG we publish?

This would be an accurate statement if Konami made RPGs still. Or, really, games besides MGS.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

I sometimes wonder which other developer could do the best new take or continuation of Suikoden if Konami were to sell off the franchise.

Verant posted:

As far as ages go, Geddoe and Ted are pretty much outstripped by Harmonia's founder (though that's a whole can of vague right there), Sierra, Sierra's ex who Nash killed in Suikogaiden, and the Gate Rune sisters.

Also, potential series spoiler: if Kyril is still around and he hasn't turned into a full-on goat, I guess he'd be pretty old too. Imagine being stuck with that voice for all eternity.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Delsaber posted:

I sometimes wonder which other developer could do the best new take or continuation of Suikoden if Konami were to sell off the franchise.
Platinum Games. Suikoden: Jeane :colbert:

Though it will probably end up as, like, all True Runes all the time with a massive Harmonian invasion.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Suikoden Dynasty: True Rune of Massacre

Suikoden Kingdoms: True Rune of War

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I maintain the best explanation of Viki is that she's sincerely just some normal woman who ended up with a particularly adventuresome rune.

She is also, of course, the actual main protagonist of the entire series.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rockopolis posted:

Platinum Games. Suikoden: Jeane :colbert:

Though it will probably end up as, like, all True Runes all the time with a massive Harmonian invasion.

Suikoeden : TeeHee.
Control Jeane using some kickass magic attacks with the Bound Rune system! Grab Rune Elements off the enemies and Drain the Rune magic off enemies to replenish yours! Summon other Suikoden women of mystery for support attacks!

Your codec support is Lucretia.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Raitzeno posted:

Heck, make it a full-blown Dynasty Warriors spinoff. Everyone's getting one. We even already have our own Zhuge Liang!

Benevolence!

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Verant posted:

Heck, make it a full-blown Dynasty Warriors spinoff. Everyone's getting one. We even already have our own Zhuge Liang!

Benevolence!

Yes, that was what I meant. :sweatdrop: The second one would be a war/strategy game. Nothing but war battles.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Raitzeno posted:

Verant posted:

Benevolence!

I'd pay money for a game that let me be Geddoe and zap my way through hordes of enemy soldiers, for sure. Bonus points if Joe was also an option with which to cut through my foes like a hot knife through butter. More bonus points for having super flashy True Rune combo attacks that do awesome things like blow up entire mountains or rip open a hole in reality and drag foes down into oblivion or something.

Actually, Yuber seems like he was made to be a playable character in a Dynasty Warriors game. I'd definitely play as him too.

And now I really want a Suikoden Dynasty Warriors. :sigh:

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Odessa would be amazing!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I would love for Konami to sell off the franchise to somebody that will actually do something with it. A Suikoden Dynasty Warriors would be loving nuts just because there's so many options to use as characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

yokaiy posted:

I'd pay money for a game that let me be Geddoe and zap my way through hordes of enemy soldiers, for sure. Bonus points if Joe was also an option with which to cut through my foes like a hot knife through butter. More bonus points for having super flashy True Rune combo attacks that do awesome things like blow up entire mountains or rip open a hole in reality and drag foes down into oblivion or something.

Even lesser runes like Blue Gate/Pale Gate might finally be useful in this context. Cast one of those spells, suddenly there's this giant ethereal pirate ship flying around blasting everything with its cannons while you keep fighting below. If nothing else it would at least be a really metal visual.

Jeez, I don't even like Dynasty Warriors and I want this to happen. Best idea I had before was basically Dragon Force in the Suikoden setting but this is probably even better.

• Locked thread