Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

vilkacis posted:

I wouldn't think of it as characters "changing" stars - it's more that you, the higher power directing all these characters, are writing the world's fate as you make your decisions. Whichever S1 character you pick for your S2 army was always the one meant to join it in this particular universe, and Tomo was always meant to be the other star. It's not like she just wakes up one morning and notices her birth sign changed because you decided you'd rather have more ninjas earlier. Same goes for 5. If you picked Eresh, Euram was never meant to represent that star, which means he's free to just not join up when you get to his part.

Basically this, yeah. This game series is astonishing fatalistic. Everyone who joins you was always destined to join you and were born on a particular night under a particular star that makes them part of your special crew within the big army, and that's what sets someone like Bazba apart from the other lizard men in your army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Unless you're a squirrel or a dog in which case as long as one of your buddies is fated to that sort of thing you can kill gods and kings, star or no star. :allears:

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

KataraniSword posted:

Unless you're a squirrel or a dog in which case as long as one of your buddies is fated to that sort of thing you can kill gods and kings, star or no star. :allears:

Sigfried, Feather, and Abizboah can also be added to the interchangable slot set. And Abizboah's family counts like the squirrels too. II had a few non-star additions, come to think of it.

Also, it's odd that Bright didn't get a star in II, even though he has one in III. Granted, he was a baby but still.

Is the idea that everyone is born with a star that only really 'activates' when they meet a Tenkai or that each Tenkai has a particular group of people who are Stars or something else.

I'm giving myself a headache. XD

I wouldn't mind seeing a Suikoden that plays with the idea of the wrong Tenkai coming in and collecting a bunch of stars, then failing, only for you (the right Tenkai) having to try and convince the stars to join you and reignite a failed attempt. IDK I like the idea of failures. I'm weird, yes, I'm aware of that.

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008

silversatyr posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing a Suikoden that plays with the idea of the wrong Tenkai coming in and collecting a bunch of stars, then failing, only for you (the right Tenkai) having to try and convince the stars to join you and reignite a failed attempt. IDK I like the idea of failures. I'm weird, yes, I'm aware of that.

Playing with technicalities, you kind of have that with Odessa Silverburg in the first one.

Granted, I could be misinterpreting your stance here.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.

Magic Fanatic posted:

Playing with technicalities, you kind of have that with Odessa Silverburg in the first one.

Granted, I could be misinterpreting your stance here.

Oh, yeah. That is kind of true. I was thinking more of your character being the childhood friend-type thing where everyone thinks your friend is the Tenkai - and they are A Tenkai - but turn out to be the wrong one for that occasion. Everything falls apart and it's up to you, newly revealed to be the right Tenkai, to take over and try to win back everyone's trust.

Then you could have the friend turn up in a host of other games as A Tenkai, but not the right Tenkai... and it turns out they were the right Tenkai for a coup that failed when you were younger kids or something. I could come up with a situational example, I guess.

Say, something like your friend was taken out of their home kingdom as a kid to protect them from being killed since they were the heir and if they'd actually stayed the war would have been won, as people would have rallied around the child-ruler and his/her protectors, but because they fled the war was lost.

Bonus points if at some point before they found out the truth, they obtained a True Rune and spent many, many, many years looking for the place where they would be the Tenkai and work. You know, for optimal pain and sorrow.

I know, I'm a cruel, cruel person.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Well, the game is (vaguely) based on Water Margin (Shui Hu Zhuan), and there the 108 Stars are demons who've repented and been reborn into the world to fight for justice/kill foreigners/eat people. Look, justice is hard and sometimes you just want to eat someone. Who's the Tiensha star in this game?
Anyway, it's not so much fatalistic as it is, well, that's who you were and you specifically entered the world to do this; you don't need fate if you're going to end up choosing to join anyway.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I just heard of a fangame called Suikoden 2.5 and was wondering if anyone knows what that's all about.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Mraagvpeine posted:

I just heard of a fangame called Suikoden 2.5 and was wondering if anyone knows what that's all about.

I've only heard bad things about it. If I understand it correctly, it was some person who decided to do a Sui2.5 using characters and locations and what-not from the older games as well as original things, stole a bunch of art for it, aggravated a bunch of people on tumblr, caused a lot of drama, and then dropped it after a couple months of arguing with a dramatic "Well I'll always be the tenkai star when you guys are ready for this" or something.

I know they also had demos or something, but I'm not sure how it handled. Maybe it was originally a good idea? That I only know the dumb poo poo surrounding it probably speaks volumes about the quality of the actual thing.

e: In other news, apparently Sui2 is getting re-released for the PS Vita, so that's cool. As is Sui1. It'd be cooler if I had a Vita, though.

yokaiy fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 6, 2014

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

^
Pretty much my experience, too. Not only did it never look that great, but the author acts as if he's doing everyone this huge favour by ~reviving this dead franchise~ and we should all worship him for it, and when people called him out on stealing assets he whined that they had "old and outdated opinions"...

But hey, it's not all bad. Here's a stunningly faithful recreation of a Suiko2 area they posted! It's truly a work of love. :allears:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

yokaiy posted:

e: In other news, apparently Sui2 is getting re-released for the PS Vita, so that's cool. As is Sui1. It'd be cooler if I had a Vita, though.

The Playstation Blog just says "coming to PSN" so I assume like most other PS1 classics it'll be playable on any Playstation hardware that supports it. I'll probably just play it on my PS3 and let my Vita continue its meager existence as a Persona box.

I wonder if it'll support imported saves from the original Suikoden. If so, I should have just enough time before the 9th to rush a 108 Stars run.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I, um, actually know a bit about it by having actually played it (I started a Let's Play that turned into a Let's Rage) and talked to the guy (who proceeded to hate me for pointing out the literal fuckton of poo poo that he got wrong, character-wise). Oh, and I personally know one of the people he stole assets from... said assets being a map of original graphics she made for her own non-suikoden-based game. The creator is very much an rear end who feels he did nothing wrong by stealing others' work. He actually believes that they should be proud of having their pieces be a part of his 'masterpiece'.

If you want the Suiko-experience, you can always check out Exit Fate, which takes the general game play ideas of Suikoden and makes a fangame from it (using some resources from Suikoden II - which is an iffy thing to do but as they're not charging money for it and give all credit to Konami, who haven't yet given it a cease and desist...). They do have a lot of original resources and it's pretty great on the story, gameplay and character side of things, from what I remember. (Last Scenarion, made by the same group, is also pretty good and if you can get your hands on the Legion Saga series, especially II, you might enjoy them as well, though they're hard to find since a lot of the sites that hosted them have gone down.)

A quick example of how bad the game was - he had Shu literally telling Jillia that he was going to kill her if she didn't surrender the capital (somehow she was at the Lake castle???); then Pesmerga started calling everyone pathetic worms that he'd kill if he ever met them again; then it showed a stolen Suikoden II amv that someone else had made (very poorly, but still); then it cut to Jowy, Nanami and Riou (Riou could miraculously talk) taking a ship somewhere while Jowy went on and on about how his family abused him as a kid and how he was adopted (granted, he wasn't the son of his 'father' but his mother was still his birth mother, so he wasn't adopted, and while he wasn't as beloved as his younger brother, he wasn't exactly abused like the guy made out). By that point I was very meh about it but then it showed the stolen map and I flipped my poo poo.

It was pretty bad, all told. What made it a lot worse is that he hailed it as the second coming of Suikoden and started getting uppity when someone who was part of something to do with the series (I think it might have been the person who runs the Suikoden facebook?) expressed some interest in a few screens he put out. Mind you, the guy didn't say it was amazing or anything like that - just said something like 'Oh, hey, looks cool'. For some reason he took that to mean he had some sort of official thumbs up or something and became intolerable about how 'x person loved my game'. Just... yeah.

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 6, 2014

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Delsaber posted:

The Playstation Blog just says "coming to PSN" so I assume like most other PS1 classics it'll be playable on any Playstation hardware that supports it. I'll probably just play it on my PS3 and let my Vita continue its meager existence as a Persona box.

I wonder if it'll support imported saves from the original Suikoden. If so, I should have just enough time before the 9th to rush a 108 Stars run.

I already have Sui1 as a PS1 classic I think, having them both on my vita would be amazing.

As far as save importing goes, I think you actually make virtual memory cards that the built-in emulation recognizes, so you'll be able to do the save import.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Delsaber posted:

Oh, I just saw the tweet that said it was coming to Vita. If it comes to PSN, that's even better. :haw:

Gross. Tell your friend I am so sorry for her, that kind of poo poo sucks for artists. Or for anyone, really.

I remember someone from the Suikoden Revival Movement posting it to the facebook page, but I don't remember what the commentary had to say about it. I didn't really look back then, and I'm definitely not going back to look now. I think it might have gotten posted on the Suikoden Day page too, though I think that was around when everything went down, so maybe not.

Oh, I've heard of Exit Fate. I think someone was doing an LP of it, had it up in a tab for a while. Been meaning to read the LP, at the very least.

yokaiy fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 7, 2014

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I watched some of that Suikoden 2.5 mess unfold on Tumblr. A buddy of mine was far more involved than I was since he's had a lot of his work plagiarized over the years as well. All I can really do is shake my head at the hubris of it, and over an RPGMaker project of all things. Either the guy was really young or off his rocker. Reminded me of some of the aspiring developers I worked with in high school.

Rampant theft and/or mismanagement seems unfortunately quite common with fan games. Everyone learned the wrong lessons from The Zybourne Clock, I guess.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

silversatyr posted:

I started a Let's Play that turned into a Let's Rage

You should make a thread.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

vilkacis posted:

Wasn't there a fangames megathread?

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

yokaiy posted:

Oh, I've heard of Exit Fate. I think someone was doing an LP of it, had it up in a tab for a while. Been meaning to read the LP, at the very least.

You should! It's a great read.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.

vilkacis posted:

I would, but not for that game. It was a one-video LP full of swearing and calling the guy out for his poo poo by the end of it. I can be pretty harsh on bad games. (I LP a lot of RM games since I'm in the community, and I'm not really sure people would enjoy that kind of thing around here. But maybe after I'm not so new and get my footing a bit more.)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh boy we've finally got the castle! Can we donate a poo poo-ton of money to fix it up or does it just get plot upgrades?

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Glazius posted:

Oh boy we've finally got the castle! Can we donate a poo poo-ton of money to fix it up or does it just get plot upgrades?

The only upgrades it gets are character-based, and we've got pretty much all of those now, I think. Actually, we might have all of them. I don't feel like checking. Like, when a shopkeeper moves in, their shop is built/opens up. Aside from that, the castle will stay as dilapidated as it was from the start.

I'm really bad about dumping-money-into-castles/towns-to-upgrade-them anyway, so that's okay for me. Basically, all my money's going towards weapon sharpening.

Also, in case any of you missed it, Suikoden II was released on PSN yesterday in North America. (It's coming out in Europe next month.) It was also on sale for $6 instead of $10 for yesterday only. In my excitement and feverish fanart-drawing for it, I actually missed the sale price. Hahaha. I'm an idiot. $10 is still a huge improvement over $200, though, so I'm not complaining.

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

Yeah, I also somehow missed out on the $6 price, but whatever. My only knowledge of that game came from a Let's Play on this forum, so I'm pretty happy about finally being able to play it.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Of course Europe has to wait an extra month, why mess with a concept that works?

Well, :10bux: is a pretty fantastic price for a game like S2, so eh.

silversatyr posted:

I LP a lot of RM games since I'm in the community, and I'm not really sure people would enjoy that kind of thing around here.

Sure they do. We've had a bunch of RPG Maker threads, they work just as well as anything else.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Before I go and purchase it for myself, is there a way to transfer the save data from the first game so I can unlock McDohl?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The PSN versions of Suikoden use virtual memory cards that function the same as physical ones (only so many blocks, can have saves from different games on them, yadda yadda), so as long as you have a clear save from Suikoden 1 on the one you're using, it should work. At least, on the PS3, not sure how PSP/Vita handle that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Defiance Industries posted:

This game series is astonishing fatalistic.

Well yeah I mean they're the Stars of Destiny not the Stars of Free Will.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Hogama posted:

The PSN versions of Suikoden use virtual memory cards that function the same as physical ones (only so many blocks, can have saves from different games on them, yadda yadda), so as long as you have a clear save from Suikoden 1 on the one you're using, it should work. At least, on the PS3, not sure how PSP/Vita handle that.

Sweet, thanks

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.

yokaiy posted:

See: Le Buque. Specifically Franz, as he was one of those third-class citizen kids who got shipped off to Harmonia. I think Queen even mentioned that his name is Harmonian rather than a more traditional clan name, so I don't think he even saw Le Buque until he was sent back to be a Mantor Rider.

I think it's also telling that those who manage to escape Harmonia seem to end up going back to it anyway. Queen had her country destroyed, and though she seems to have fled and escaped the caste system, she still ended up going back to Harmonia for work. Same with Geddoe. And probably others that I'm forgetting right now.

Also, you should do that write-up -- I want to read it. And possibly link it on the OP.

I'd been meaning to do one for a long time (initially I wanted to do it for when we first saw Le Buque) covering politics and history and the caste system, but it never happened.

Gather 'round, children! It's time for a (slightly delayed because of laziness) introduction to Harmonia, the land of incredibly vague plot threads that still plague people to this very day!

History of the Holy Kingdom of Harmonia: An Abridged Edition
The Holy Kingdom of Harmonia in its current form was founded by the hero Hikusaak in SY -2 when he lead a rebellion against the Kingdom of Aronia, earning himself the epithet of "The One Hero" (not to be confused with The One King from Tierkreis which we will never ever speak of). He set up a theocratic system of government, with himself as the High Priest of the nation. Somewhere along the way, he picked up the Circle Rune, the True Rune that governs Order and Stagnation. Saying anything more about his exploits would veer dangerously close to spoilers, so we'll focus instead on Harmonia itself.

Governance
Hikusaak has a tendency to disappear for long stretches of time, much like your traditional Suikoden protagonist. Unfortunately, that doesn't do wonders for the stability of the world's largest kingdom, and civil wars would break out every now and again spurred on by the rumor of Hikusaak's death. For the past few hundred years or so, the government has largely been run by the priesthood, with two factions vying for control: the Temple Faction, which wants to keep Hikusaak in place as an absolute ruler, and the People's Faction, which wants to redistribute some powers around. We'll hear a bit more about those two groups in the later parts of Suikogaiden. Other than that, not much is known

Foreign Policy or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the True Rune
Harmonia's policy on True Runes is, basically, "Gotta Catch 'Em All!" At some point, Hikusaak decided to use the authority his rune provided him to launch a campaign to acquire all 27 True Runes for...some reason, which has driven the country to do all sorts of questionable things. We've already seen Cathari investigate the Sun Rune in V, and we know that Harmonia really wants to get its hands on the three elemental runes running around the Grasslands enough to launch multiple invasions. Additionally, their actions were the impetus for the main antagonist of I to start their own destructive search for the Soul Eater Rune, and they've had an alliance with Highland ever since one of Luca's ancestors, Maroux Blight, put down a rebellion in one of the many civil wars Harmonia's had in the past.

The Caste System
And now, the other part that's relevant to III's plot: the Caste system. The population is divided into three categories - first, second, and third-class citizens. First-class citizens are blonde with blue eyes. Unfortunate implications aside, they're pure-blooded Harmonians who basically call the shots for everyday governance. Second-class citizens are those who were former citizens of territories Harmonia conquered that either A. did not resist or B. have proved themselves to be of use to Harmonia in some way or fashion. This is where Franz wants to get Le Buque. What Le Buque's citizens are considered as right now are third-class citizens, people who resisted Harmonia's annexation of their homes or their descendants.

Now, here are some of the benefits you get of being a third-class citizen:
- Human rights are only guaranteed for first- and second-class citizens.
- Your children will be taken away from you at a very young age to be raised as servants to a first-class household.
- Taxes are incredibly high.
- You must have approval from the government to travel or trade.

In short, you're basically a slave. Could be worse, though: you could be non-human, which the Harmonian government effectively writes off as either chattel labor to be worked to death or exterminated on sight.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Hogama posted:

The best part is you don't need to pay $15-20 if you run out of room on a memory card. Memory Card Utility > Create New Internal Memory Card = BAM, 15 more blocks right out of the ether.

Generally, playing a PSOne game on the PSP/Vita will auto-create two memory cards (one for each "slot", as you'll recall that PSXes had two memory card slots) dedicated solely for use of that game. But I believe you can go into the system options while playing the game and switch a card out for something else, if you want to import "cards" from your PS3 or something.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Fister Roboto posted:

Well yeah I mean they're the Stars of Destiny not the Stars of Free Will.

Yet, the underlying theme of the wole series is the idea that fate can be fought, but it is difficult. In each reiteration of the game the bearer of the true rune has to unite with the other Stars, in order to change the destiny, as shown in the complete ending.
Suikoden III is the odd one of the series, for not only the Tenkai star is NOT a True Ruene Bearer, SPOILER REMOVED

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 12, 2014

mageofthesands
Jan 2, 2013
Finally caught up with this great LP, again. I'd really like to see more of those detailed examinations of character designs. I liked those.

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010

mageofthesands posted:

Finally caught up with this great LP, again. I'd really like to see more of those detailed examinations of character designs. I liked those.

Me, too! This game has such detailed character designs, seeing someone else's interpretation is really interesting to me.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

mageofthesands posted:

whoda thunkit posted:

Me, too! This game has such detailed character designs, seeing someone else's interpretation is really interesting to me.

You know what? You're right, it's been a really long time since my last one.

I remember Geddoe's team being requested way back when we didn't have Aila, but now we do, so let's talk about them.

There's not actually too much to cover with Ace that hasn't already come up in the thread, I think. As far as clothing goes, he's pretty sensibly dressed for whatever the day throws at him. Jacket with sleeves that he can roll up or down depending on where they go, a shirt underneath because people wear shirts under jackets, and overall a pretty militaristic design. (The coat, the camo pants, the boots, etc.) You can tell he comes from a background that involves combat, but he's messed with his clothing to the point that it doesn't look like a standard issue uniform of any sort, what with the leather armor across his chest and the bandana and such. He also looks too run-down and sleazy to be part of an official military unit. I appreciate that he's customized his belt for ease of keeping his weapons at his hips -- makes it easier for him to get them out in sticky situations. I also appreciate that he's wrapped the handles of his sai in bandages for a better grip, since it matches the rest of his "well, this coulda looked nice and official once, but it's really worn out now" kind of look. In short, he looks like he's been through the ringer, and, seeing as he is the Paperwork Lord of Geddoe's unit, it seems pretty accurate. The only really misleading part of his design is that he's younger than he looks. The metal plates in front of where he'd tie his shoelaces is kinda silly, though. I guess he got kicked in the shins enough to warrant the extra protection.

Joker has kind of a difficult design to express in words. Overall, he comes off as a sort of kung-fu-master-that's-fallen-on-hard-times-and-gotten-old-and-maybe-a-little-washed-up-and-fat, which feels pretty fitting, though his large build is actually kinda misleading given how agile he seems. The kung-fu-master feel comes from his basic shirt/pants get-up combined with the long ponytail, and considering he uses his fists in battle, it works well. The effect is dampened by all the baubles and jewelry he's got on, which is actually good. It brings to light a sort of identity crisis, as he's got a kind of cultural clash going on because of the more Native American imagery in the necklaces. They're also much more colorful and chaotic than his fairly plain (aside from the trimming) threads. Why is this important? Because we're not actually sure where he's from; he's probably a Harmonian of some sort (though he doesn't really dress like one), but Harmonia encompasses a huge territory and a ton of conquered nations. He seems to have made a home for himself in the defense force, though. It also implies that he's traveled a lot, which is backed up in the game by his vast knowledge of runes and the like. More on that whole thing in a bit.

Queen is awesome. She just has a really great look to her. I feel like I've pointed this out for most of the female characters in this series, but again, I really like how incredibly clothed she is. Her design is actually kind of a middle ground between Ace and Joker, whereas Ace has a sort of military-ish jacket, and Joker has a lot of accessories you might find in a gift shop in the southwest. Queen has a lot of beads and fringes adorning her clothes, which are otherwise pretty heavy-duty travel gear. She's dressed for comfort and mobility, but she's also dolled it up a little bit to give it some charm. There are a lot of connections I could make with her and Joker's outfits, but gimme a bit first.

Jacques is closer in design to Geddoe than the other members in the troupe, what with the huge overcoat, but his design is actually very muted in contrast. The blues and whites he's got on are pale, and he's relatively plain looking, and ultimately hard to keep track of, especially compared to the louder members. This matches his quiet personality, as well as alluding to the fact that he notices things that don't stand out, like the lack of footsteps of the soldiers attacking the Great Hollow. His clothing is pretty simple and designed to be effective rather than decorative, from his fingerless gloves so he can mess with the complicated bits of his bow gun to the headband keeping the hair out of his eyes. I have more words, but again, wait a little bit.

Apologies for the quality of that second one, by the way. Apparently no one else on the internet has a picture of her alternate-outfit artwork. I happened to have it in a mini art book, so I just took a picture of it with my phone. Might go back and scan it later so it looks better. Anyway!

Regarding her first outfit, there's not too much to say that I haven't already said about Karayan clothes. She does sport a lot more brown and black than the other Karayans, and her outfit is actually one of the simplest in the village, aside from those purple stones. She is also the only other Karayan we get aside from Hugo that has warmer tones in her outfit, which goes along with her rash nature. Her outfit is designed to be lightweight and allow her to run around without anything getting in her way. Again, I appreciate how modestly dressed she is.

Her second outfit is essentially very similar to her old one, just with a less Grasslander-y feel to it. She's swapped out her warm tones for a lot of neutral coloring, and gotten rid of all her jewelry but her earrings, so that she'd look more like a normal girl you'd find in other cultures. That she's using pink instead of fiery reds and oranges shows that she's calmed down a bit since we first met her (or is trying to, at least.)

So, for Aila, it's important to not only address the outfits, but also how her outfit change reflects her character development. Like Hugo, Aila has lost her home, and is trying to find her place in the world. She struggles with her identity after being taken in by Geddoe's team and seeing the world, and her change of outfits symbolizes her attempting to discover herself. Does she stay true to her Grassland roots, or will she drop her culture for her new companions?

Well, I know, but you'll all have to wait until the end of the game. :haw:

And now: shared imagery! Since the group are all so diverse looking, connections between them are more telling than the members of other groups like, say, the Zexen Knights. It also means I can go into it since it's less obvious than like "they all wear armor" or something.

Aila/Jacques
These two serve as foils to each other, both in design and personality. Aila has dark skin and hair, as opposed to Jacques who is pale with blond hair. Her first outfit is very dark, with a lot of black but also a fiery red and orange to them (even the purples are on the warmer side), which is a contrast to Jacques' pale coat and plain attire. Her second outfit is a contrast as well, as it's pink to his blue. Their genders are opposite, obviously. Even their weapons are at odds with each other, with hers being simple and sleek, and made of one piece (string aside), whereas his is large and bulky, and even mechanically more complicated than hers. He even has to snap it together before fights since it's made of multiple parts. The two weapons both require a lot of finesse and mastery, but in different ways. Their personalities are also quite different, where Aila is loud and brash, often acting before thinking as her pride dictates, while Jacques is thoughtful and doesn't talk more than he has to. They play off of each other well, especially since they're two very different takes on the same "role," as the team's snipers.

Queen/Joker
Queen and Joker go together in more than just how much poo poo they give Ace. They both have a lot of Native American allusions in their outfits (with the beads, feathers, and fringes, etc), which imply travel and homelessness, but also a bit of spirituality. The spirituality translates to their competence with magic, as they're both pretty decent (and Joker is astounding with Pale Gate magic), while the rest directly references their search for a place to belong. Queen, who lost her home, travels for who knows how long until joining the Defense Force, where she has settled down. Joker is a little different; his home is a mystery and probably unimportant in the long run, as he seems to have no allegiance to it and makes no reference to it. However, he spent 20 years in the Defense Force, traveling around and jumping between jobs and probably mercenary groups, before joining Geddoe's unit, which is where he has made his home.

This kind of familial relationship runs through the whole group, not just those two. Though they're all from different places and with different backgrounds, all six of them (Geddoe included) have made it pretty clear through their interactions so far that they're sticking together no matter what. For Geddoe, he has finally found companions worth living and dying for. For Ace -- who, although he seems to love his homeland of Vinay, doesn't seem too keen on living there or working there -- and Queen and Joker, they've found a place to stay and work. For Jacques, who they picked up god-knows-where and probably without any family, he found a bunch of really terrible but amazing parents. For Aila, who had just lost all she knew and loved, she found a bunch of new idiots who stood by her and accepted her as one of them.

Ah, poo poo, that kinda went a little heavy on character analysis, not just design analysis. Uhhhhh, overall, they all look like they're living a battle-weary life with a lot of walking, with a huge emphasis on traveling and drifting, as well as trying to find their place in the world, but they all seem pretty good with where they've ended up. Yeah.

Go 12th Unit!

Also, you wouldn't believe how long I was sitting on this, trying to decide if this was good or bullshit.

Also, also, update coming soon. I've got it mostly done but I want to play through the Geddoe version before I finish it up, and haven't really had the chance to do so.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

yokaiy posted:

Also, you wouldn't believe how long I was sitting on this, trying to decide if this was good or bullshit.

At worst it's really good bullshit and adds quite a bit of flavor to something that I don't think about that much while playing games. So thanks, basically!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Interesting commentary. Aila's second pic looks fine to me. Though you might want to find a bigger picture of Queen, it's kind of hard to make out the finer details of her outfit. Jacques' pic could probably stand to be a tad bigger too.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Good read.

Always love reading about my favorite JRPG team. :dance:

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
I really appreciate these character design run-downs.

Is it just me that really, really wants Queen's boots? Because those things are snazzy!

Also, you'd think that a sniper like Jaques wouldn't wear a colour that would stick out so much against the brush he should be hiding in. That said, if he were standing against the sky (plains/mountains/etc) he'd probably blend in pretty well.

Poor Aila, though - that pink would not blend in at all. Good thing she's less of a sniper and more of a ranged attacker instead (yeah, there's not much difference between the two units, but ranged attackers can be seen and snipers are supposed to be hidden).

Also of interest is that there are two archers on the team - one that stands out and one that doesn't. If it weren't for Aila being an accidental addition, I'd say it were kind of deliberate - have the one that stands out make the enemy think they've got eyes on the sniper, only to have the actual sniper take them out in a surprise attack. After all, how many teams would have two archers? You'd only expect one in a well-balanced team.

I thought it was interesting.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

silversatyr posted:

I really appreciate these character design run-downs.

Is it just me that really, really wants Queen's boots? Because those things are snazzy!

Also, you'd think that a sniper like Jaques wouldn't wear a colour that would stick out so much against the brush he should be hiding in. That said, if he were standing against the sky (plains/mountains/etc) he'd probably blend in pretty well.

Poor Aila, though - that pink would not blend in at all. Good thing she's less of a sniper and more of a ranged attacker instead (yeah, there's not much difference between the two units, but ranged attackers can be seen and snipers are supposed to be hidden).

Also of interest is that there are two archers on the team - one that stands out and one that doesn't. If it weren't for Aila being an accidental addition, I'd say it were kind of deliberate - have the one that stands out make the enemy think they've got eyes on the sniper, only to have the actual sniper take them out in a surprise attack. After all, how many teams would have two archers? You'd only expect one in a well-balanced team.

I thought it was interesting.

I've always thought of Aila as a Support mage who happened to have a bow rather than an archer/sniper. She might not be the best support mage in the game, but she does a good enough job in the team she's in (with an added bonus of NOT running into combat if she decides to not cast spells).

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

yokaiy posted:

Joker has kind of a difficult design to express in words. Overall, he comes off as a sort of kung-fu-master-that's-fallen-on-hard-times-and-gotten-old-and-maybe-a-little-washed-up-and-fat, which feels pretty fitting, though his large build is actually kinda misleading given how agile he seems. The kung-fu-master feel comes from his basic shirt/pants get-up combined with the long ponytail, and considering he uses his fists in battle, it works well. The effect is dampened by all the baubles and jewelry he's got on, which is actually good. It brings to light a sort of identity crisis, as he's got a kind of cultural clash going on because of the more Native American imagery in the necklaces. They're also much more colorful and chaotic than his fairly plain (aside from the trimming) threads. Why is this important? Because we're not actually sure where he's from; he's probably a Harmonian of some sort (though he doesn't really dress like one), but Harmonia encompasses a huge territory and a ton of conquered nations. He seems to have made a home for himself in the defense force, though. It also implies that he's traveled a lot, which is backed up in the game by his vast knowledge of runes and the like. More on that whole thing in a bit.

This is a lot of wasted words for a description that could be accurately summed up with "Present-day Steven Seagal."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The 12th Unit look like they'd be right at home in a hypothetical fantasy Metal Gear Solid game. They even have a silly naming scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

The 12th Unit look like they'd be right at home in a hypothetical fantasy Metal Gear Solid game. They even have a silly naming scheme.

I would buy this game :shepspends:

• Locked thread