Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
^^^ Oh I know. I was just :spergin: hardcore and it's not a confirmed True Rune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

dragon_pamcake posted:

One of the suggestion box notes or possibly an investigation reveals Nash had a visitor late at night and it's heavily implied to be his "old lady" Sierra.

It's in the newspaper, but I'll be damned if I can find a text dump anywhere.

If we're counting that, we're counting the True Holy Rune.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

FeyerbrandX posted:

That explains why he wasn't in IV; Elanor was too drunk to say it.

"Yuber, Tubor, uber, goober... heh, goober."

He wasn't in V either. Lucretia knew how to summon him, but decided it would be better to let you find out for yourself.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

If we're counting that, we're counting the True Holy Rune.

Except if that visitor is Sierra, she's a confirmed True Rune holder. True Holy isn't a true rune at all - it should really be called Godspeed Rune, but hey, early 90's RPG translations.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
What I meant by "unconfirmed" was The game doesn't flat out say, "Hey, some girl named SIerra visited Nash yesterday." The True Moon Rune is definitely one of the 27.

I just wanted to contribute!

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Happy birthday, thread!

Alternates coming either a little later today or earlier tomorrow.

yokaiy fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 3, 2015

inverts
Jul 6, 2014

yokaiy posted:

Happy birthday, thread!

Thank you; this is phenomenally beautiful.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

yokaiy posted:

Happy birthday, thread!

Eh....not enough Geddoe.

Seriously though, nice picture.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:toot: indeed!

...Here's to another year. :unsmigghh:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

vilkacis posted:

...Here's to another year. :unsmigghh:

I eagerly await those three updates we'll be getting. :haw:

I kid, I kid. You set a good pace, yokaiy, and your art makes up for the occasional gap. Looking forward to more updates, whenever they may come.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I can't find a :cake: smiley, so you'll just have to imagine it's there.

I don't know how much more there is left of the game, but I'll be there to find out!

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
Dear God, I just found this and it is glorious. I really want to play this version of Cards against Humanity. I bet we could come up with some ripper cards, too. XD

Edit:
I think the best combo would be At level 10 the man eating spores weapon becomes Gremio's hatchet and cape.

I know, I am a terrible person.

Edit 2: Actually, "Blue Lightning Dick" fits so many of the black cards so well.
Oh my god, all of the Blue Lightning Dick in front of a Blue Lightning Dick!
drat that idiot... wasting his Blue Lightning Dick!
My name is Leknaat. Some people call me the Keeper of Blue Lightning Dick.
If I stay away from battle for a while, my hands ache with Blue Lightning Dick.

:D

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 4, 2015

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.
well, I just let out the most disgusting laugh after seeing the Solon Jhee and Odessa cards.

Also, hurrah for thread birthday! :toot:

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Chapter 4.7 - Water feat. Chris

The Chris version of things is largely the same for the earlier bits, so let's pick up with her in the boss battles.

First off, the party I went with was Joe, Viki (Little), Nei, Fred, Sharon, and I honestly forget who for support. Probably Louis.

Things I learned: The Jonleur Rune on Nei is actually pretty neato, since I'd never used her before. Basically, she sings a song that gives the party a buff for as long as she keeps singing. This particular one is the Song of Skylark, which decreases chanting time for everyone, but she's got some other neat ones too, like the Song of Madness that makes everyone basically berserk but without actually having the status effect. I still need to see if it stacks with the status effect, but some other time.

The reason I used this was so that Viki could pull some spells out as soon as possible. This here is the third level spell of the Pale Gate Rune.

Hey, this looks familiar.

In case you'd forgotten from the couple of times that Luc had used this spell against us, it shares a model with the Water Dragon boss. Kind of a let-down, actually, since the Water Dragon isn't related to the Pale Gate Rune.

It's pretty cool, though, so I forgive it.

Also, it basically ends the fight, which is good because everyone was whiffing.

From there, we get basically the same thing again, so let's skip a little.

Boss time!

Naturally, I start off with the Pale Gate spell.

Apparently, she (and the bigger Viki and Mel and maybe a few others?) can misfire her spells.

I'd never seen that happen before.

This was bad because it meant that the rest of the turn was a huge waste.

Even with Nei singing in the back to make everyone berserk, the pillars would not go down.

So, this is what they can do. They like to drop themselves on people.

It doesn't do too much, but about half of them decided to drop on Sharon, which can really add up. The other half of them went after Chris.

Next turn, though, Viki was back with a vengeance.

Thank god.

The wasted turn does mean that the Dragon got to show off another attack, though. It's basically the same one the Pale Gate spell does.

Owch.

Sharon comes with a Wind Rune, though, so I healed the most important part of the battle, Viki.

drat, Chris.

drat, Joe.

Since I didn't have any real way to heal (aside from once-per-turn with the Wind Rune, but the whole team was hurting), I went for the "smack it really hard and win the damage race" method.

And just barely managed to take it down before it could kill Chris and Sharon.

Seriously, though.

: "Are you all right, Chris?"

Hey, guys.

: "How did you get here?"

: "There was a report sent to the Thomas Castle that the True Water Rune, resting in the Ruins of Cyndar, was being targeted."

In this version, I skipped going back to Budehuc after Jimba ran in. I'm kinda happy that the script changed to accommodate that.

: "It must be. We must hurry, Chris! If the True Rune had been awakened, this was a small demonstration of its power!"

This scene happens.

Also, there's a face.

So let's skip a little more.

: "Jimba!!!!"

: "Jimba!!!!"

: "You're not going to believe this, Chief Lucia. I've screwed things up! I can't even repay you for what you've done for me."

[: "What happened, Jimba? What caused this?"

When Jimba looks around in this version, once he gets to Hugo, Chris shoves Hugo aside to confront him. It's a little hard to tell in the shot, though, because of all the motion blur.

: "I met you in the Iksay Village..."

: "Chris...."

She hasn't really put it all together yet.

: "I'm running out of time. Chris, will you come over here please?"

: "What are you going to do with me?"

: "Chris, listen to me. The True Water Rune is kept sealed here. Before it gets taken away, I've been trying to put it back into my right hand. I failed. The Rune was partially released..."

Man, flashbacks are super bright when you don't do the thing that makes them look right.

: "drat, if this continues, we're all finished!"

: "What's that?"

: "Contain the force of this True Water Rune. That possessed girl from Alma Kinan showed you the power you have within you. You were chosen by the Rune, so you can do this. Hurry up..."

: "Me?"

: "But do we have enough time? We have to contain the Rune immediately, or it'll go out of control!"

: "Was I really chosen by the Rune?"

She approaches the True Water Rune.

Whoah, where are we?

: "Yes, Chris. You are."

: "Is that you, Yun?"

: "I knew we'd see each other again. I'm a spirit. I'm one of the 27 True Runes, that are placed in every corner of the world and control everything."

This is getting pretty crowded!

She flinches and backs up, flustered.

He hesitates, closing his eyes. Where to begin?

Also, I like his outfit. It's nice to see it in color and outside of flashbacks.

: "I'll try to explain... I am the successor of the True Water Rune."

: "I hope this isn't too hard on you."

Facial expressions.

: "Since that day fifty years ago, as a successor of the True Water Rune, I was running away from... an assassin sent from Holy Harmonia and an agent of the Roaring Brotherhood."

He means the Howling Voice Guild. Translation!

: "I soon sensed that the agents had come to Vinay del Zexay. I knew they'd sniff me out before long, and eventually find out about you and Anna. So I fled to the Grasslands to forget about you and your mother. The Zexen you knew as Wyatt Lightfellow 'died' and I became Jimba of the Karaya Clan."

She's silent for a few beats.

: "How is this possible? It's too strange!"

She turns away.

Would you two just hug already please.

: "Please lend us your power."

No time for a tearful reunion if we want everyone to get out of this alive.

: ".........."

: "Chris..."

: "So, you..."

: "Well -- It's time... I must pay the price for failing. My tie with the Water Rune -- my attachment to this land and this world -- is over. Old heroes should die eventually. To wish to have an eternal life... is unnatural after all."

: "Father..."

: "Goodbye, Chris. I was not a good father to you..."

: "Jimba! Jimba!!!"

Whoah, there, Chris. Don't...

: "Oh, this is...."

: "This is the True Water Rune. You should be able to hand it since you were one of the candidates to inherit the True Fire Rune."

You're a good kid, Hugo.

: "This could foreshadow another possible victory over Holy Harmonia."

Water feat. Geddoe

The Geddoe version of things is actually super lame, so I'll just cover it here as well.

The team is the usual Geddoe team, since I couldn't bring myself to split them up. Also, Joker learns Pale Gate magic (at level 50) and unlocks his third rune slot (at level 55), so I could still do things the smart way.

Grinding them to 55 wasn't too bad until they hit around level 53, then it was awful for the last two. Grinding isn't really a thing in Suikoden, so when you actually have to do it? It's preeeeetty awful. But I won't have to do it any more so :woop:

A lot of treasure bosses and Copper Suns fell to get me this team.

Also, Geddoe has some of the silliest lines in his recruit dialogue.

I dunno, I really liked this one.

Actually a lot of this teams dialogue is a little silly.

Sure, OK.

This, though, I really like. Geddoe's seen this before, and he's being uncharacteristically concerned about things because he knows what's going on.

: "Does this have something to do with the power of the rune? Did something go wrong?"

She runs off, as expected.

Skipping a little, time for the Water Dragon.

Yeah, OK.

Since magic doesn't care about line formations, Geddoe can get at the dragon even if the pillars are still up.

Also, let it be known that Joker is a really slow caster -- everyone got to whack a pillar before he got to use his spell.

Still worth it.

Yup.

Ow.

Some more good smacking happens.

You know what's lame?

The dragon got killed by the 80 splash damage from Joker killing off that pillar.

And thus, he got every kill in the battle. Good job, man.

Skipping ahead again.

This time, it's Geddoe who interrupts Jimba as he's looking around at his companions.

: "Geddoe, so you took over the True Fire Rune..."

: "And I take it you still keep the True Water Rune?"

Aaand, that's it. That's the only dialogue change from Hugo's version of this scene. From here, everything's the exact same.

Next time, we start the final chapter of the game.

yokaiy fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 5, 2015

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The Geddoe version really is kind of lame.

You'd think Geddoe losing one of his friends from the past would have its own sequence as well...but it doesn't. Kind of a missed opportunity there, Konami.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I strongly suspect the damage you saw from Chris and Joe was thanks to Nei's buff. Now imagine that with Emily 5- or 6- hitting stuff..

inverts
Jul 6, 2014
I really like the Chris version of things, with Yun and Wyatt/Jimba. Since Jimba calls her to him in every version, is it safe to assume that reunion-inside-the-Rune happens in every version, but we only see it in Chris's?

Chris and Hugo's tension together remains really nice, too. It's interesting because they'll both mourn Jimba's death but I don't think they can help each other with it. That's bitter. I like it.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

OddObserver posted:

I strongly suspect the damage you saw from Chris and Joe was thanks to Nei's buff. Now imagine that with Emily 5- or 6- hitting stuff..

This is probably true. Nei's buffs make her one of the best units in the game.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

AradoBalanga posted:

The Geddoe version really is kind of lame.

You'd think Geddoe losing one of his friends from the past would have its own sequence as well...but it doesn't. Kind of a missed opportunity there, Konami.

Yeah, it's a pretty big let-down, though at the very least, I'll defend them in that Geddoe isn't a very openly sentimental man. I still think they should have done something considering the last of his comrades from the Fire Bringer War, and one of his two best friends, is dying right in front of him.

The manga isn't much different though -- Chris actually thinks pretty poorly of him for a bit because he didn't really respond when he learned that Jimba was dead. (In the manga, only Chris and Nash were there for his death, and there's actually a thing regarding her breaking the news to Hugo.) He says something later about how he trusted Jimba and how he's trusting her to follow his footsteps that changes her opinion.

Maybe we'll get a scene with Geddoe bringing it up later in the game too? I hope so, but I doubt it.

inverts posted:

I really like the Chris version of things, with Yun and Wyatt/Jimba. Since Jimba calls her to him in every version, is it safe to assume that reunion-inside-the-Rune happens in every version, but we only see it in Chris's?

Chris and Hugo's tension together remains really nice, too. It's interesting because they'll both mourn Jimba's death but I don't think they can help each other with it. That's bitter. I like it.

I'm pretty sure that's what happens, yeah.

Also, the tension between Chris and Hugo is never not great. Considering they used to be at each others throats, though, they've come a long way.

dancingbears posted:

Makes me glad I'm finally using her. There are so many characters that I kinda just wrote off and never used before now, like her and Twaikin, who are actually really great.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

dancingbears posted:

If memory served the full boost on Song of Madness is 2.5x, so yeah it gets pretty gross.
Also holy crap. I didn't realize Viki still had her random chance to whiff a spell in this game. Yikes.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Geddoe scene is, I think, the only time when he's not being a thousand times better than the other two alternatives. I guess nobody bats 1.000.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Song of Madness would easily be the most overpowered thing in the game, if not for True Lightning. Hell, it still wins in some places. Have I mentioned that you can kill the final boss in one turn with Madness?

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

yokaiy posted:

Apparently, it can fail!

I'd never seen that happen before.

It's not that this particular rune can fail. It's that certain casters, like the Vikis and Mel, have a chance to misfire with all of their spells. It's one of the reasons why I always use Joker for my Pale Gate needs. I always thought his cast time was quite good, though. But then again, I almost always use Jeane as support for the faster cast times.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

CmdrKing posted:

Also holy crap. I didn't realize Viki still had her random chance to whiff a spell in this game. Yikes.

AshtonDragon posted:

It's not that this particular rune can fail. It's that certain casters, like the Vikis and Mel, have a chance to misfire with all of their spells.

:ms: Fixed it, thanks guys. Man, I knew she could whiff teleporting, but I didn't know she could gently caress up spells too. Maybe, if we're lucky, we'll get to see her teleport fail as well before this LP ends. :haw:

Bufuman posted:

Song of Madness would easily be the most overpowered thing in the game, if not for True Lightning. Hell, it still wins in some places. Have I mentioned that you can kill the final boss in one turn with Madness?

:stare: I might have to ban her for the final battle, then. Or, maybe have like a you-pick-one out of her, Emily, and Juan. Or maybe none of them, and then I'll just show that off in an alternate. Hmm...

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

yokaiy posted:

Also, Geddoe has some of the silliest lines in his recruit dialogue.

I dunno, I really liked this one.

I have my personal theory about Viki: her clueslessness and her scatterbrained way of doing everything are the result of living in a non linerar life, jumping both towards and backwards the timeline in order to make adjustaments; after all she always appears in front of the Army Leader in order to give an enormous help with the war; there are also a few hints scattered through the games that reveal Viki has a task to accomplish, and/or something or someone she need to be protected from. But this is taking a great toll to her mind: after all she seems at her best in IV, her oldest apparition, and now in III she appears nearly addled sometimes. With the results that the younger herself had to come in support, and young Viki is saddened from the developments of the situation.

Sadly, I don't think we'll never know.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Guy Fawkes posted:

I have my personal theory about Viki: her clueslessness and her scatterbrained way of doing everything are the result of living in a non linerar life, jumping both towards and backwards the timeline in order to make adjustaments; after all she always appears in front of the Army Leader in order to give an enormous help with the war; there are also a few hints scattered through the games that reveal Viki has a task to accomplish, and/or something or someone she need to be protected from. But this is taking a great toll to her mind: after all she seems at her best in IV, her oldest apparition, and now in III she appears nearly addled sometimes. With the results that the younger herself had to come in support, and young Viki is saddened from the developments of the situation.

Sadly, I don't think we'll never know.

Except I think it's been stated officially that Viki experiences the games in the same exact order the player does, regardless of chronology.

Eruza
Sep 4, 2011

AshtonDragon posted:

It's not that this particular rune can fail. It's that certain casters, like the Vikis and Mel, have a chance to misfire with all of their spells. It's one of the reasons why I always use Joker for my Pale Gate needs. I always thought his cast time was quite good, though. But then again, I almost always use Jeane as support for the faster cast times.

Yeah the misfire is why I stopped using Viki (she ended up wiping almost everybody out). I actually started using Estella at that point for Pale Gate since she's pretty good, although I can't remember when she learns the skill but her turn always came first even without using Jeane.

Edited for typos.

Eruza fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 6, 2015

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

KataraniSword posted:

Except I think it's been stated officially that Viki experiences the games in the same exact order the player does, regardless of chronology.

That makes about as little sense as anything else about her, really.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

I thought that was just fan theory.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Didn't the references to the events of Suikogaiden in Suikoden V kind of kill that idea, or am I misremembering?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Marathoned this thread over the weekend and I am sorely annoyed at myself for not finishing this game having stopped just after having Hugo pick up the True Fire Rune. Only to pick it up later from the beginning to stop at the same point ad nauseam.

Wish I had known that there was double Viki waiting for me. I missed out.

Also even if she experiences the games in the same order that the player does, Little Viki here and her alluded double-appearance in V (helping Lorelai out of some ruins by making a hole in the roof Viki-style which of course character Viki doesn't remember) kind of poke holes in that theory. Namely that while character Viki might follow the theory, it doesn't take into account her coming back/previously visiting the settings either.

Time Travel :argh:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I thought that was just fan theory.

It might have been. Then again, fan theory's about all the series has left at this point, so. :shrug:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The series itself might as well be a fan theory.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

yokaiy posted:

Next time, we start the final chapter of the game.

I don't want it to end. :( Will you do more Suikoden after this one?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

hanales posted:

There's still Suikogaiden 1 and 2.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

hanales posted:

Chapter 5 is also rather longer than chapter 4, if memory serves.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

hanales posted:

Aw, thank you. :kiddo: I'm gonna really miss this when it's over.

Aside from the Gaidens and maybe Card Stories and a Suikoden III-themed Fire Emblem hack I want to at least show off once, I wasn't really planning on it, though I would definitely like to keep LPing after this and don't have any concrete plans.

Vil posted:

Chapter 5 is also rather longer than chapter 4, if memory serves.

It goes pretty quickly, though, and in pretty distinct chunks. The next couple updates are gonna be on the long side, especially the upcoming one.

Speaking of, I've got it mostly finished, but as I am in Overtime Hell™ for the next month and a half as well as moving next month as well as going to MAGfest this weekend, things are gonna be a little slow for a bit. There's also a short interlude I'd like to finish before posting the update which I haven't gotten around to actually maybe I can work on that a little later tonight, since it shouldn't be too long.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

yokaiy posted:

Aside from the Gaidens and maybe Card Stories and a Suikoden III-themed Fire Emblem hack I want to at least show off once, I wasn't really planning on it, though I would definitely like to keep LPing after this and don't have any concrete plans.

Go on.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

yokaiy posted:

Suikoden III-themed Fire Emblem hack
You have my attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

AradoBalanga posted:

You have my attention.

There's not really much for me to say on it at the moment. :shrug: It's got way too many kanji for me to translate casually, so I haven't put in the effort of actually looking up what I can't recognize off-hand, but it sure is a FE4 hack to the theme of Sui3, which means it's two of my favorite things smooshed together. I haven't looked into it much further than making sure that I have everything and that it plays with no issues.

Special thanks to my non-goon friend who got wind of it and sent it my way, though.

• Locked thread