Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

yokaiy posted:

I think we're running out of True Runes we could potentially destroy instead of the elemental ones.

So far, the Gate Rune is the only one sounding more feasible than Wind, and that's like the one that Luc probably wouldn't go after, in light of it belonging to Leknaat. Though, doesn't she only have half of that one anyway? Also, I wonder if destroying it would affect the Dragon Rune too, since that's also kind of a dimensional rune? Or is it just the dragons that are dimensional and not the rune itself? Dragons are confusing in this series.

Very well, I accept this offering of music. Next time, I'll sally forth in a more dignified and aggressive manner. :colbert:

:haw:

:allears: Remind me to draw Sasarai and Shula having a pose-off or something.

Just make sure to have their aides and Josephine looking annoyed in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

yokaiy posted:

So far, the Gate Rune is the only one sounding more feasible than Wind, and that's like the one that Luc probably wouldn't go after, in light of it belonging to Leknaat. Though, doesn't she only have half of that one anyway?

Oh poo poo, forgot about that too. The other half is currently MIA along with the Sovereign Rune, so that might eliminate those two. Then again, it's just the players that don't know where they are. Presumably someone might know where to find them. Leknaat herself would be a strong candidate; Windy was her sister, after all, and despite their differences (and, you know, Windy trying to KILL HER), she would probably want her sister's remains to be left alone. Assuming Windy and Barbarossa are actually dead, obviously.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

yokaiy posted:

Yeah, this. There are other True Runes I feel like could be destroyed with fewer disastrous consequences. Personally, and though it pains me because it's the best, I feel like destroying True Lightning would be the most sensible option. We need Water and Wind for life to be able to function, we need Earth because we live on it, and we need Fire for society to prosper. Lightning is a little more vague.
Depending on how pervasive "lightning" actually is within their already-questionable magic-enabled physics, it might not be a very good idea to destroy True Lightning either. From a modern biology standpoint, we know that the brain controls the body via incredibly small electrical impulses through the neurons. Removing all muscular control would likely wipe everything that's not single-celled, and then I guess the remainders would have to try a sideways evolution that can function in a complex manner via a different method.

yokaiy posted:

Or, hell. March back to Harmonia and destroy the Circle Rune. No one needs that one, and he's already lost Harmonia's backing, if him not bringing real soldiers to the party is anything to go by.
The Circle Rune, as I understood it, governs the concept of order. D&D alignment philosophy suggests that an excess of order leads to stagnation, and eventually into a sort of infinite freeze or crystallization of the universe. Unfortunately, SOME order is needed to keep things together... like functional society on a macro level, or molecular bonds on a micro level (again, depending on how deep their magical fizaks conform to our knowledge/hypotheticals). Destroying the Circle Rune might then make the Rune of Change unopposed, forcing every civilization into a shittier version of Sindar's nomadism, likely without the fuckawesome technology they got as a booby prize.

The Gate Rune is also a bad idea because what happens when you destroy a loving gate? Nothing stops things from entering or exiting! We've -seen- the sorts of things that "live" on the other side of said Gate, and we neither A) want them coming here freely, nor B) want residents of this world to be able to just accidentally drop into that godsforsaken hellscape.

Long story short: None of the True Runes are going to be a "safe" option. Luc happens to be both willing to start the process and in possession of both a True Rune and the means to destroy it. Best to make his move before the drat things catch wind of his plans (pun intended) rather than look for a second option.

Raitzeno fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 22, 2015

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

yokaiy posted:

Honestly, I think my biggest gripe with this part is the whole woman vs warrior thing that Sarah brings up. I feel like we've already established that Chris has no intentions of being "just a woman," and what the hell does "just a woman" even mean? You can be a woman and a warrior. Her being a woman isn't like a character flaw or anything, because being a woman isn't a flaw. It's just a fact. And the game is full of so many cool warrior ladies; we've got Lucia who is awesome and also a mom, we've got Cecile who is like a magical girl knight, we've got Fist of the North Emily, we've got Lilly, and so on. Hell, even Sarah herself has proved to be a poo poo-wrecker -- not in the whacking sense but she is a better mage than most of the mages we've got here, if not all of them. Why should this be a problem for Chris when it's not a problem for any of the rest of them? Why is it even a thing? Especially given how awesome Chris comes off from a character design standpoint.

Not cool, Sui3. Not cool. :colbert:

Japan is not known for being super progressive on gender issues :v:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Japan is not known for being super progressive on gender issues :v:

For example, read the Suikoden 3 manga :downs:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Raitzeno posted:

The Gate Rune is also a bad idea because what happens when you destroy a loving gate? Nothing stops things from entering or exiting! We've -seen- the sorts of things that "live" on the other side of said Gate, and we neither A) want them coming here freely, nor B) want residents of this world to be able to just accidentally drop into that godsforsaken hellscape.

Currently the front half of the gate rune is missing which is the half that controls summoning stuff to this world while we know where the back half which controls dispelling summons from this world is. Let's just say that Luc takes out Leknaat and the back half, now there's no way to get rid of summoned monsters. And feasibly speaking there's a chance that destroying the back half could cause the front half to go beserk and be summoning stuff all the drat time.

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008
This is what I was reminded of with talking about destroying the Circle Rune. At least halfway in, of course. If that's anything like what would happen if the Circle Rune broke, I'd say it's somewhat important to have around.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Magic Fanatic posted:

This is what I was reminded of with talking about destroying the Circle Rune. At least halfway in, of course. If that's anything like what would happen if the Circle Rune broke, I'd say it's somewhat important to have around.

That's a small to medium-case scenario, by my reckoning. Worst case, all existence does what braces kid did, and combines into a universe-sized mass of formless primordial soup.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
My memory is failing me, could someone explain how people were able to "break" True Runes into halves?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Mraagvpeine posted:

My memory is failing me, could someone explain how people were able to "break" True Runes into halves?

It's one of the very many things that the series mentions but never explains. Leknaat and Windy's method of breaking the Gate Rune is completely passed over, and no one seems to know how the Rune of Beginning came to be split; we only know the two halves first showed up on Han and Genkaku. I'm going to guess that Rune of Beginning goes back to the way it was if the current bearer dies, splitting back into Sword and Shield, like how the Rune of Punishment loses its Forgiveness Phase setting if the bearer that achieved it is killed.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The only way True Rune splits make sense to me is if the runes themselves willed it for whatever reason. Tired of existing in one form for all eternity? Manipulate your bearers into splitting you into two pieces, or become a talking sword, or emblazon yourself on the floor of the L'Renouille palace and just chill for a while.

I've always liked Luc as a villain because of this. He's been in a great position all this time to study these runes and their behaviour, so he thinks he knows better than most people that they need to be dealt with, somehow, even if no one really knows what would happen if those runes were suddenly gone. In a world where most people aren't even aware of the True Runes at all, Luc sees them as the One Ring, or the Dead Man's Gun, largely malevolent entities that are responsible for countless deaths and tragedies, including the last two wars he was in. He might be the wrong guy to do it, with the wrong crew (Yuber's participation in particular is odd, to say the least), and he might be going about it in a terribly reckless way, but I get where he's coming from.

Strayed
Mar 3, 2013
Speaking of Yuber, Luc could always blow up the Eightfold Rune. Admittedly I have no idea what it does though, so there's still probably a pretty good chance the universe would collapse in on itself.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
The problem about searching for an alternative True Rune to destro is that Luc is NOT interested in other runes: he wants to destroy his own rune and himself with it because he is in the middle of an existenzial crisis and is basically trying to suicide. Doing so while destroying a True Rune would be also a fitting end, a way to spite the destiny he feels to be only a pawn.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, that happened.

After what he's been through, I really just pity Luc.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010
Destroying the Gate Rune might not be safe in some weird and subtle way, but one thing that plan has going for it: it means Tierkreis can't happen.

That's my headcanon, anyway.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Not an update (Sorry! It's about half-way done right now, though, so hopefully I'll have one for you guys this weekend), but good news regarding Suikoden III for those of you in Europe:

In addition to being approved for going up on the PSN as a PS2 classic, Sui3 has received a rating from PEGI, so it'll be seeing it's first PAL release! :haw:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Wow, I might have been really excited about that if I hadn't spent like $200 importing the loving thing and modifying my PS2 to play it 15 years ago, but about time you assholes.

Yes, I'm still mad at them. :mad:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

vilkacis posted:

Wow, I might have been really excited about that if I hadn't spent like $200 importing the loving thing and modifying my PS2 to play it 15 years ago, but about time you assholes.

Yes, I'm still mad at them. :mad:

Same here although I think III was like 30 bucks and getting my PS2 modified was like 70 or 80. Still this is fantastic, hopefully the people who missed out on it can check it out.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Wow, no idea we had so many Europeans around here. Neat. I do feel for you guys though, having to jump through hoops just to play some good games. America's usually pretty good about that sort of thing, but I've had to import a few PSP ports that didn't make it over here because of Sony of America's jackass "every port must have a crapload of new content" policy, which screwed us out of getting some bitchin' ports of now-rare games like Breath of Fire 3 or Tales of Eternia. Not quite as bad since PSPs aren't region-locked like PSX/2s, mind you, but still a pain in the rear end.

That said, I still have my copy of S3 on my game shelf, and a PS2 lying around in my closet, but hearing it's coming to PSN is cool news. I may buy it anyway to encourage more Suikoden love (and because it's kind of annoying having to dig out and hook up the PS2).

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Better late than never, I guess, though I still have no idea why they skipped III. :iiam: I'm still pretty excited about it, though.

I'll probably rebuy it on PSN anyway, even though my physical copy of the game is sitting on my shelf right above my computer, where my favorite things go. I seem to accumulate multiple copies of games I like anyway. (Hello, Morrowind, I didn't see you there. All... three of you...)

Bufuman posted:

Tales of Eternia.

There are too many instances of us not getting Tales games and ports, it makes me sad. Looking at you, Tales of Innocence and PS3 port of Vesperia.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Chapter 5.5 - Sasarai

We pick up with Hugo pretty immediately after Luc's army pulls out. They'll be back, though, and soon. Once Sarah has caught her breath, we'll be buried in a wave of enemies again.

Chris has returned, and with some new friends even, but still no sign of Geddoe.

Still, they really saved our butts, so let's say hi.

: "Same to you."

: "As stated by our agreement with the prior Flame Champion, we will assist you."

: "That is very kind of you. But why are you with Chris?"

: "Luckily, I met a fighter from Alma Kinan and heard that the Brass Castle had been attacked. I immediately got Alma Kinan's cooperation and returned."

: "By the way, what was that monster?"

: "I suspect it was a very powerful recall spell. They have been controlling objects in this world for ages, so it must have utilized a special technique."

I'm not entirely sure about the turn that conversation took, but okay. Let's just not bother with it.

: "It seems they put a blinding spell on the summoned beasts."

This line I'm pretty sure is a mistranslation. They're trying to explain that our foes had put a sort of glamour on the monsters they summoned to make them look like people, but... Well, the translation seems to take a bit of a dip this close to the end of the game.

: "We have a larger force now, which will soon be combined with another unit from Thomas Castle."

I do enjoy that they've made Sarah more of a target than Luc. She's not in charge, but she's definitely more troublesome. In the short-term, anyway.

: "In any case, I can't have those beasts crawling around the Brass Castle."

: "Do we have your permission, Hugo?"

: "Shall we get the squad into formation?"

: "Yes, sir."

I like to look at the formation even if I don't change it. You don't usually have to.

Anyway, we've got Duke's unit spread around, as well as our new Alma Kinan friends and Franz and Ruby. Aside from that, nothing really to see. Our formation is pretty scrappy, but it'll do.

: "Are we ready now, Hugo?"

: "Yes."

: "Well then, let's get ready for combat immediately. You must be exhausted, milady..."

Well, as we've seen from the formation...

: "I'm fine."

Chris is fine. She waves off his concern.

Anyway, let's--

Xander77 posted:

Stop sayin' it like a wimp! Can't you say 'Move out!' or somethin'?

--rip them some new assholes.

: "For the glory of the Zexen Knights! For the glory of the Fire Bringer!"

Luc's army has taken on the True Wind Rune as their emblem, now that their cover is blown.

Well, no reason to wait for our reinforcements. I move everyone up.

Yuber's folks move up too.

First, I have Duke torch 'em. It doesn't do much, but every little bit helps.

After getting a few more people in position...

I go for the first blood with Chris' team. We've got some support from the other side, too.

Elaine kind of sucks. She swung twice but only hit once.

Nic is better.

And that was really no hassle at all. First blood!

Well, no need to stop there.

Some of the units have these guys as their party leader, which is a little harder to deal with, since they're on the beefier side.

This is also one of the stranger teams I've got on the field.

Fubar is pretty great, all things considered. Even without Hugo adding to his stats, he doesn't take much damage.

They decide to go straight for the heart of this matter, and it goes well.

:smug:

On Yuber's turn, his units start their offensive, with this skirmish being the first of the bunch.

I like this party.

They're also pretty good. Futch is a pretty serviceable tank, for all intents and purposes, which makes him a good party leader. There's also some pretty good damage getting passed around, too.

Heh.

Yuber decides he wants in on the action, which is actually not great. He's immortal at this point in the battle.

I counter with one of my beefiest teams. Well, beefy plus Hugo.

Eugh.

This guy.

Once you get him down far enough, he stops taking damage. Which stinks, because Hugo was on a roll for this string, drat. Not a single not-critical hit.

Good dragon.

Well, with nothing else really to do against Yuber, we bail for the time being. We're pretty much going to ignore him for the rest of the battle.

At the start of the next turn, we get our reinforcements, as promised.

: "You sure took your sweet time!"

: "Sorry. We got held up."

Hey, no problem. You've just missed a couple murders is all.

I'll be moving the Apple and Thomas units up, but they probably won't see any action anyway.

Now, my front-liners, on the other hand...

With Lucia in position now, we're ready to really plow through their forces.

The Lilly unit is great.

Ruby himself doesn't really do too much, but he can take a surprising number of hits.

And then Lilly swoops in for the kill.

Futch's up next. Hugo's covering him up in this shot, though.

I can never get over how these guys attempt to use magic sometimes.

:allears: Joe.

:allears: Futch.

They decide that they feel like taking out the entire enemy instead of just the leader, and I am okay with this.

Okay, now it's Hugo's turn. I'd have maybe been a little worried for Bright if we didn't have cover, but as it stands, this is no problem.

Holy poo poo.

They work fast.

There's something about taking out the leader before all the others go down that makes me incredibly happy. I'm just imagining the leftovers sauntering off somewhere, incredibly confused, and everyone just watching them go.

There's no point in attacking Yuber anymore, but I can at least soften up his buddies. Duke isn't doing anything else anyway.

These guys move up.

And Yuber attempts to pick a fight, but again, there's really no point in humoring him.

Viki, somehow with monstrous defensive capabilities.

Cool.

Yuber mumbles to himself come my next turn.

And Geddoe pops up in the field! :swoon:

: "We've suffered too. And now it's time for revenge."

: "As you wish."

All yours. :allears:

Naturally, I march Geddoe straight up to Yuber. He can't attack this turn, though, so I assume they are all flipping him the bird from their own circle. Also, Yuber is still immortal.

I can start taking down this mess, though.

These guys are so hosed.

Aaaand done with that.

Emily is banned from the final boss battle, just so you know. Or, at least in the main run.

Lilly zaps Yuber a bit, taking out two of his mooks.

And Dupa charges at his one remaining unit.

Really, this isn't even fair.

And then, there was one.

Sure.

Apparently there is something to look at on my next turn!

: "Look at what?"

: "Harmonian soldiers!"

Whoah, hey there! You're alive!

: "Black magic again!"

: "Wait. That's not how it feels to me..."

: "However you feel, they still look ready to attack!"

Zap!

Yuber's still immortal, so let's just sit for a sec.

:swoon:

: "Indeed. We were rushed, so our force is rather small, but perhaps it will be effective nonetheless."

: "What exactly are you doing?"

: "I will explain more afterward. For now, I can say that Luc has betrayed Harmonia and Hikusaak, its leader."

: "So you're not going to attack us, right?"

: "You have my word."

I'm sold.

Sasarai becomes one of our units. Much as I would like to give him a go here...

I promised this to someone else. Sasarai can help, though.

It woulda been better if Geddoe had gotten the last hit, but I'm okay with this too.

He vanishes off the map.

: "We did it!"

: "It looks that way for now."

: "Glad we made it in time. That was a dangerous drama, and we almost missed our cue."

: "You are really annoying to listen to all day."

I love you guys so much.

: "I suppose our forces should get back to Thomas, right Hugo?"

: "Right."

: "Let's all go back! Sasarai, you too. You have a story I'm dying to hear."

: "Of course. That is why I'm here."

: "There is also the matter of a present that we brought for you, Hugo."

New assholes: ripped.

The present from our Harmonian friends is our reward for kicking all kinds of rear end in this battle. Not too shabby.

We rejoin Hugo a little while later, upon their return to Thomas' Castle.

: "I managed to catch a few winks too. We have to go to the hall. Everyone is waiting for you."

: "Really? Okay, I'll be right there."

: "Yes, sir."

She bows and runs off.

There's not much going in, in spite of the recent happenings.

There's some news.

And some mail.

Not pictured mail I got from my other runs:

Guillaume posted:

Greetings
Recently, this castle has become more lively. It's because of Hugo's ability. I'll support you secretly.

Bright posted:

Meals
I was told to tell you the food is quite good here. But he wants more meat.
Sincerely, Futch

Rico posted:

Among Knights
There are many knights at this castle, but I'm sure that Fred is the best.

Sebastian posted:

Worried
If the soldiers are too rude, please scold them. This castle is too old. If they act up, it might collapse.

:ducksiren:

Fred posted:

To be knights
Chris, why don't you become a member of the Maximillian Knights? If you'd like, you could belong to two groups.
:ducksiren:

This one is unique to Chris, obviously.

From there, we head to the meeting room.

Our group is getting pretty big now, huh.

: "Since Hugo is here now, shall we get down to business?"

: "Don't bother, Dios. I'll do it myself."

: "Yes, of course! Certainly."

For someone who seems as by-the-books and rigid as Dios, I imagine Sasarai is infuriating to work for, since he seems too laid-back to care about that.

: "He bears within him the True Wind Rune. He wanted to possess all of the Five Elemental Runes: Fire, Water, Wind, Earth, and Lightning. He's managed to do just that."

: "Now, he wants to destroy the True Rune. We haven't figured out his ultimate goal yet. If he actually destroyed a rune, it would be devastating, perhaps even more so than the True Water Rune that went out of control."

My gut feeling is telling me that the ruins there are still coated with ice, and probably will be for a loooooong time. I've never actually checked, though.

: "What could happen?"

: "At the temple, we hypothesized that it could wipe out the entire Grasslands....!"

My guess is that Sasarai had a strategy meeting with Dios and Nash about things after having his Rune stolen, which is why it took him so long to finally get over here. I also guess that Luc revealed a lot of his plan to his brother, out of spite or sympathy.

I have a theory that Sasarai is also why Geddoe came back so long after the people he recruited -- he went to go pressure Sasarai into helping. I don't have any evidence to back that up, though.

: "Speculations are all we have. When the last Flame Champion released the power of the rune, the entire regular army of Holy Harmonia and many of the Grasslands' forces perished by fire. This was only part of the True Fire Rune. If the True Rune was destroyed, imagine what kind of energy would be released."

A minor gripe, but it kind of bugs me that they always use "the" True Rune, no matter which one they're talking about. I feel like it would be better if, for example, the Flame Champion released the power of his rune, or perhaps, if a True Rune was destroyed, imagine what kind of energy would be released. It's not actually a big deal, especially compared to some of the other strange translation quirks, but I feel like this game could have benefited from a proof-reader.

: "This castle's fortifications wouldn't stand a chance."

I honestly think that would be one of the least of your worries.

Yeah, you tend to lose the backing of Harmonia when you attack another bishop and run off with their True Rune. And your True Rune. And many other True Runes. This confirms that Duke's unit was going after Luc when they joined up with Geddoe, though.

: "Now he invokes the beasts instead. Even that can't go on forever. If we only knew where he intends to carry out the True Rune's destruction..."

: "It won't be easy with so many possible ruins around. Who knows how close it is to the Grasslands.

Unfortunated side-effect of Cyndar building ruins literally everywhere.

Oh, hey, look who else is still alive!

: "Who are you?"

: "I'm Nash Clovis. I've become acquainted with Bishop Sasarai, Lady Chris, and Lord Salome."

I wonder how he decides which last name he's going to give.

: "Well, where is he?"

: "There is a ruin of the Cyndar Clan, north of the Great Hollow. The ruin is deserted, but it was once used for large-scale rituals. Luc and his accomplices are stationed there, preparing for a ceremony to destroy a True Rune."

I want a game where we go to some ruins and find the clan still living there.

Anyway, thank you, Nash.

: "We must head for the site right away..."

: "We can't waste time dealing with unreliable sources."

Or are you just jealous?

: "Even with Bishop Sasarai's endorsement?"

: "An endorsement doesn't guarantee that your information is correct."

Nash sighs.

: "Well, then, how about if I said this information was passed on to me by a man you know well, Caesar?"

: "A man I know well? ..... drat!"

: "So you believe me now?"

: "All right."

:stare: Caesar, that's not..... whatever.

: "He seems like a reliable source."

: "I will guarantee his credibility myself."

: "We're in this together. You'll use your head; we'll use our swords."

: "So be it. Hugo, please make your decision."

: "First, we must get the squad in formation."

: "That's a good idea."

Okay, so here's our force. It's the last strategy battle of the game, so they give us a loooot of units to work with.

After unit 10 is just our reserve, so I didn't include it.

Again, there's not too much point in me changing this, so I just ran with the defaults.

Before we run off to battle, though, there's one thing I wanted to do.

And that's run to Iksay to get the Golden Hammer.

I swing by to give it to Peggi. This'll let him make our weapons as strong as they possibly can be.

Also, I take a second to look at Sasarai. For some reason, he becomes available for parties before actually officially joining us. I should have upped his skills while I was looking, but I forgot. However, you might notice that I have circled and drawn arrows around one of his skills.

:getin:

That is all.

Anyway, it's time we moved on.

: "Then let's head for the ruins right away."

: "Good, I'll start the preparations at once."

: "We'll stop those monsters, once and for all!"

: "Take it easy, Dupa."

: "How can I?"

Our allies all head out ahead of us.

Also, Sasarai and Dios, our last two stars, officially join us.

Yes, our last two stars.

There's one new article to read. We can continue the plot by heading outside.

I still love seeing the Grasslanders and Zexens get along.

: "Uh huh."

Joe and Lucia walk down to join him, but Lucia passes him.

: "What's wrong with that, Chief Lucia?"

: "Nothing. I know the ironheads are a committed people. I am quite pleased to be here. What makes me even more thrilled is that my son is the commander of the group."

: "All you need to do is act confidently and maintain a good image. So far so good, right, Chief Lucia?"

: "So true! I'm very proud of my son."

: "Mother! Sshhh!"

: "Heh heh! Don't be embarrassed."

:unsmith:

There's a quick fade as the army collects itself outside the castle, waiting for a few more words from their generals and tactician.

: "If it's successful, untold harm will come to the Grasslands and the Zexen Federation."

: "We fight for all people who share in this land... and for the spirits that reside within!"

: "I pray that the Knights and the bravest fighters of the Grasslands will lead us to victory."

: "With so many swords from so many bravest soldiers, we'll be invincible!"

: "Let us all be protected."

:japan: Our baby is all grown up.

Percy's too cool to cheer.

Here we go.

You ready?

: "They should, yes."

: "Wouldn't it be great if the enemy appeared any minute now?"

How convenient!

: "How nice of them to come rather than run away. At last I'll have my fill of blood."

: " 'With craft and covenant, we summon our allies through the gates of a million worlds.' "

Luc summons some help.

: "Waaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

18. Does Hallec win the Most Punctuation In A Single Line Award?

And so the battle begins. I start by moving most of my units out. You can't tell because of the unit panels sticking out, but we can't move to the open spot to the right until we've moved up once as well.

Since we're weathering assaults from both sides, our eventual plan should be to split off our forces.

I say eventual because we get blocked in pretty much immediately.

Well, might as well get started.

Rock Golems are still sturdy and annoying, but this isn't much of a threat. Honestly, no enemies are a threat to a unit with Ace in it. I've said this before, a while ago, but he is a really great strategy battle unit.

They immediately get to work chipping away at the golem.

Nic provides some support taking out the less important enemies.

With Ace cleaning up the leader.

Cool.

I move a couple out, and then have Geddoe start working on the other side.

Viki decides she really wants to go first, which I am fine with given how little she does in regular battles.

I like this unit.

I spread out a little bit more, and end my turn.

Luc's forces continue attacking us.

The Bone Soldier Leader is really not anything worth anything. It has a little more HP than the normal Bone Soldiers, but I feel like we've been fighting these things forever and they haven't gotten any better.

Some day, they're gonna get off a magic attack, and I'm just going to laugh a lot.

Franz helps.

Bone Soldiers suuuck.

Sharon goes in for the kill.

Aside from moving around a little more, the enemy doesn't do anything else.

So hey, remember how we've got Sasarai now?

His unit is actually uh. Not very good.

Well, Gau is good, but Augustine is gonna drag us down.

You know what's great though?

Precision.

Sasarai isn't very good with Water Runes, but I don't even care because he has precision.

I've got half a mind to give the Pale Gate Rune to him -- he's got the skill for it, after all. He also doesn't have a chance for his magic to backfire.

I love this man. Even if he is an awful unit right now.

We got smacked around a bit more than I'd like, but Mua takes out the leader so it works out.

I think I'll have Sasarai just be a cover unit for a while, though.

Upon their turn, our foes have a little chat.

: "Very well. The rest is up to you."

: "If you rush like that, there's nothing for me to enjoy!"

: "I'll take care of it."

: "Sarah, don't overdo it."

Luc bails.

My turn again, and I send Hugo out to take care of that one unit.

Part of the joy of letting the game decide my unit order is that I end up pleasantly surprised by some of the things it lets me have. Just look at this unit. This is just silly.

This is just silly.

Sarah farts out a couple more enemy units for us to tackle.

: "More of them!"

: "Don't waste time talking about it!"

Her units spread out, and she starts moving. I think I caught her mid-move right there.

I go after the next enemy unit in line.

The Mirage's are actually pretty fond of attacking Franz (though he's off-screen here). He's probably the weakest defensively on this team.

But, I believe in him.

Oog.

Well, they're not looking too hot either.

Whoops, missed the text. Anyway, we defeat the unit.

Next, we take Lilly for a spin. She ended up with a kind of weird unit, all things told.

A pretty good one, though.

Wan's doing better than I thought he would, considering I'd never fielded him before.

Eat it, suckers.

A lot of movement on their end, and one of their fake-Harmonians attacks us. I defend with Hugo's unit.

This is hardly fair to them, though.

Sarah is not immortal in this battle, which is unusual. Doesn't mean she's a pushover or anything, but we don't get the chance to beat her and Yuber up nearly enough.

Somehow it feels right that she's behind some Chimeras.

ARE YOU SERIOUS.

:confuoot:

How is that even allowed?

I wonder if that works on the final boss.

All units but Yuber promptly fall off of the map.

: "Only pitiful humans are troubled by this level of sorcery."

Yuber starts moving now.

And so the race begins to get everyone up and around the map and surrounding Yuber.

I block with Dupa just to get this over with. Dupa's unit isn't one I'd really trust against Yuber, even with Queen and Percy in it.

They take some damage, but get out of there all right.

I zap Yuber from afar for good measure on my turn.

And bide my time so other units can get over here.

He attacks again, but nothing happens.

I zap him again.

And send Geddoe after him.

Which Rune and spell people with Runes use is completely random, so this time Viki decides to use her Blinking Rune.

Somehow, this feels very fitting. Yuber, crushed under cauldrons and barstools.

:allears:

: "Down with him!"

: "Good--now get inside fast."

: "There might be some baddies still hanging about. Everyone outside needs to stay sharp. If we lose control, the group inside will be cut off."

: "An exciting finale!"

: "Hmm? What is this?"

: "What is it, Aila?"

: "I found this."

: "Someone from the other side must have left it for us. How sweet of them."

:toot:

Cool, I guess.

We head inside the ruins for an impromptu meeting.

: "We barely made it."

Chris, were you even watching that battle?

: "The fight is still going on outisde. Our men should be able to handle it. But it's up to us to stop the ritual inside."

Geddoe, asking the important questions.

: "Harmonian scouts have already surveyed the inside. There is a big podium in the middle with platforms on four corners. This is very typical for Cyndar. This structure focuses energy at its center."

: " ... With Luc's True Wind Rune placed on the podium."

: "We should go straight for the center."

: "We can't! With the four runes in place, there will be a force field energized around the center which no human can penetrate. We have to get the four runes off their platforms, and then make our way to the center."

: "Time is running out. If Luc manages to deestroy the rune, everything for miles around will perish!"

: "You can't even imagine the force that will be released. A single rune has incredible power. Can you fathom what five together could do?"

: "That won't do it! Taking just one rune won't be enough to foil the ritual's outcome."

: "As you say, the site is already saturated with all the runes' power!"

: "It is our only hope, milady!"

: "Indeed! But just remember the times we succeeded against all odds in the past."

: "You have been very lucky."

: "Hugo, Chris and Geddoe will each lead a group to retrieve their own runes, and the last group..."

Level 23.

: "Are you serious?"

: "Yes, s-sir! If we lose here, we will lose Thomas Castle and much, much more. I must try my best!"

Also level 23.

: "Now!"

It's time for the last few battles of the game. Before that, though, we need to pick their parties.

Each team has a short scene before they head off to their respective Rune, which is only triggered with the "proper" party. However, you can change the party after viewing the scene, so I'll be showing them off and then switching to the parties of your choice.

Let's handle them one at a time, though.

First, let's vote on Team Geddoe. Excepting Thomas, Cecile, Hugo, Chris, and Sasarai, all our stars are open I think.

Please vote on 5 characters and 1 support.

yokaiy fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 22, 2015

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Team Geddoe needs to be his crew of Ace, Joker, Queen, Aila, and Jacques.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rirse posted:

Seconding this.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Rirse posted:

no other choice

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Use the proper parties for the main run because it feels kinda :flaccid: to have them be all "we're gonna kick rear end together!" only to see everyone benched.

Also Yuber is a jerk.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

vilkacis posted:

Use the proper parties for the main run because it feels kinda :flaccid: to have them be all "we're gonna kick rear end together!" only to see everyone benched.

Also Yuber is a jerk.

I think Hugo's team needs to be the three riders.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Sasarai's team needs to be actually be Team Thomas. Thomas, Cecile, Piccolo, Juan.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Viki is one of this game's wonderful war battle little secrets. I think she and Sasarai are the only characters you get that will cast in war battles. Slap Pale Gate and Lightning/Thunder on her. I set her up with I think Twaikin(Firefly Rune), gave her Ace and put her with Thomas's unit.

Because what we need is Thomas, unstoppable warlord, running rampant over the battlefield.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I've noticed that ally caster units tend to go for spells that cause instant death. That Pale Gate spell is one, and Bazba almost always seemed to go for Funeral Wind whenever I decide to include him. The kicker is, these spells seem to have a simply insane success rate in war battles. That's why you got Sarah so easily (which was still hilarious though) and I don't think I ever saw Funeral Wind's ID fail either.

But yeah, go with the proper teams.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Team Geddoe and his mercenaries minus Aila. Replace her with one of the dogs.

Hugo's should consist of three ducks and two dogs.

Chris should be stuck with the worst possible team excluding the dog characters. I don't know who would that be though.

Lord Ephraim fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 22, 2015

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Changing my vote to this:
vv

8_Escape posted:

I'm backing Proper Teams for all except Hugo's team who should consist of Three Riders.
Edit: Actually if Thomas's proper team is not the Thomas castle crew give him The Ninjas instead.

Nuramor fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 22, 2015

8_Escape
Dec 26, 2013
I'm backing Proper Teams for all except Hugo's team who should consist of Three Riders.
Edit: Actually if Thomas's proper team is not the Thomas castle crew give him The Ninjas instead.

8_Escape fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 22, 2015

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Geddoe should have his team,
the other parties should have one rider combo in each.
To be nice to bug rider he should be with Chris, so Sasarai gets the dragon.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Proper teams for all.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
Hugo's team should have the three lizardmen with Fury Runes for... reasons.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Yeah, best to go with proper teams I think.

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
Geddoe goes with his gang.
There's no one else for it, even if it goes against the "Proper teams for all" maxim, since you didn't say.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
At least give me some supports to throw in. :colbert:

I figured you'd all vote for Geddoe's usual team, though. :haw: Same with Chris.

The only problem with voting for the usual team for Hugo is that his usual team is just Joe and Fubar. So I'd still need 3 more in his party anyway.

Bufuman posted:

I've noticed that ally caster units tend to go for spells that cause instant death. That Pale Gate spell is one, and Bazba almost always seemed to go for Funeral Wind whenever I decide to include him. The kicker is, these spells seem to have a simply insane success rate in war battles. That's why you got Sarah so easily (which was still hilarious though) and I don't think I ever saw Funeral Wind's ID fail either.

I've seen Viki use other Pale Gate spells, though. Well, she's used one other one for me, at least. I think it's about 50/50 for whether she'll use Centaur Murder or Weird Tiger With Electric Tusks. It also seems to be about 50/50 on which rune she decides to use.

NameHurtBrain posted:

Viki is one of this game's wonderful war battle little secrets. I think she and Sasarai are the only characters you get that will cast in war battles. Slap Pale Gate and Lightning/Thunder on her. I set her up with I think Twaikin(Firefly Rune), gave her Ace and put her with Thomas's unit.

Because what we need is Thomas, unstoppable warlord, running rampant over the battlefield.

And then God Thomas and God Mist high-fived each other from across different dimensions and game series', as they cut their way through fields of enemies, both of them like hurricanes. Except Thomas was in the eye of the storm, whereas Mist just was the storm.

inverts
Jul 6, 2014
Casting yet another vote for Geddoe gets his proper team.

And give him some healer support character I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Geddoe team is best team

Jeanne for support

Also, I'm pretty darn sure you can take the other true rune users on the FC's team. Or am I thinking of the Final Boss....ugh, my memory is blurry here.

But if you can, if you don't load the team with Hugo, Fubar, Joe, and the 3 other True Rune users I'm going to be VERY sad.

At least take Sassari so we can at least see what the True Earth rune does.

mauman fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 22, 2015

• Locked thread