Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

That's the second most out-of-place clan of duck-people I've ever seen in a game.

Name the Flame Champion Humakt. It is time to make a death today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Arachnvore? So I guess that means it's a spider that eats other, smaller spiders. You guys totally wouldn't have to fight them if you didn't keep backing them into corners, you know!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Zurai posted:

The smileys in the second half or so of that update are messed up. They're missing the first colon, so they're all :smiley::

They aren't missing colons, it's just that SA stops rendering smilies after 20 or so.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Bruceski posted:

When your main viewpoint character is jumping between folks on different sides of a conflict, you can't really make one of them scenery-chewingly evil.

I wouldn't say that. If the viewpoint characters stay on a given side of a conflict throughout the game, then yes, you'll need to balance the sides, but it's still depressingly easy to simply start someone on the "wrong" side of a war and then have them realize they're working for the bad guys at the end of the first act, assuming it even takes that long.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Speedball posted:

So, to recap: from Hugo's perspective, the Zexen have attacked without provocation, and from Chris's perspective, the Grasslanders attacked without provocation.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that something doesn't add up and someone somewhere is probably stirring up poo poo. But whom? Hmm...

Given the timing of the events, I'd point to the lizardfolk for swinging the first blade. But I suppose we'll find out why they did that before too long, and then the real mystery will begin.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

RentCavalier posted:

Unless your healer is in the path of the blaze--or WALKS INTO IT--and you have no means of controlling where they go or where they are.

This should be carved into every single game designer's skull: If the position of my party in an RPG matters to being hit by attacks, and I am unable to control where my party members are positioned, then you have hosed up and I hate you.

Shadow Hearts had a similar system with random movements, but I believe that a) every turn was specific to a person and so no one moved between choosing and casting and b) there was no friendly fire.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

It's a nice touch that they left someone in ambush position just in case things went south at the door.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Speedball posted:

"Their tracks were too light," huh?

Illusionary knights, starting a real war.

So, now we not only know how the bad guys stirred up poo poo between the Zexen and Grasslanders, we know that they're probably total dickbag puppet masters.

(Or, I dunno, two gnomes wearing a mask standing on each other's shoulders in a suit of armor).

I'm guessing the tracks were too light because the real creatures weren't wearing heavy armor.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

Soooo how long until badass lizard dude becomes a permanent party member?

Just in time for his stats to be perfectly average or slightly behind the curve, naturally.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

OminousEdge posted:

I have been wondering for a while. Why the heck does Harmonia want True Runes so drat much? They should know full well that the Runes choose who they are used by. Going after them seems pointless considering that about them.

I figure it's a combination of "we won't know until we try" and "no one will get to use it unless we say so."

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

That flashback used an awful lot of subtext, but it sounds like Thomas is the bastard son of that council member and an Outlander who apparently decided to send him off to make his fortune. Probably didn't help the kid's self esteem issues that the one and only time he met his dad he called him one of two problems nagging at him.

Is there any point in the game when the Zexay council members don't come off as giant dickweeds?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

vilkacis posted:

I'm not sure I want to know what kind of spider makes webs that thick.

Or what they expect to catch in them.

Cobwebs are basically a combination of generations of spiders setting up shop in the same locations and dust settling on the sticky strands until they end up several times as thick as they were to start out with.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

"I have successfully delivered the public opinion poll, sir."

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Brunom1 posted:

Card of Hero: Geddoe.

Once per turn, you can flip this card to have Geddoe relax from fighting - all Heroes on the field, and their players, are forced to relax and are unable to act for the remainder of the turn.

Flavor text: Save the world? Eh...

I'd say it's more a coin flip to whether he chills for a round or else clears the battlefield with lightning.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

yokaiy posted:

At which point I start making words up, instead, such as "Codsnipe" and "Gullywherve," leaving everyone confused at whether or not I'm making really obscure references or just pulling letters out of my rear end. :haw:

Blather 'n Blatherskite?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

You know, I get the feeling that characters calling out their attacks during duels isn't supposed to be literal so much as a representation of their relative skill. Thus, Guillaume wasn't so much lying about his attacks to the kid so much as the kid couldn't predict how Guillaume would act. When you fight him again as a seasoned warrior, however, he becomes pathetically predictable and is easily defeated.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

"Iroh, the Harmonians are here to getcha!"
"Send out a kid to act like he's me. They won't have the balls to kill a child."

Ehh? Ehhhhh? It could happen.

Personally, I'd expect that someone with the True Flame Rune would see all problems as a pile of dry tinder.

Also, new page in...

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Mordavia Castle.

Admittedly it's a reference to a game series probably as obscure as Suikoden is, but I also happen to think it's a pretty boss name.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Semicolons can be used in lists when each point contains commas of its own. For example: first, there's this bit; second, you've got this thing; but third is this. I guess the translator thought the semicolons were justified because of the ellipsis, but since it's specifically to avoid confusion with commas within list items, I wouldn't have done it myself.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

yokaiy posted:

:3: I need to draw Geddoe covered in cats.

Only if every cat except one is competing with him to have the most disinterested expression.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I might've picked Geddoe if he weren't already tricked out, plus Chris seems like she'd want to move on to do something else with her life beyond protecting the Grasslands for a theoretically unlimited life span. Hugo it is.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

yokaiy posted:

We get Geddoe as a unit instead of Hugo, but other than that, not really.

I'm thinking of refraining from showing off the strategy battle duplicates after this one, and just showing off whatever is different in them. Like, if there are any dialogue changes or anything. They're gonna go down pretty much the same no matter who we are.

Yeah, I didn't really see the point in going into such detail a second time.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I've got this odd little thought in my head that Queen is secretly, well, a queen. Nobody brings it up because she pulls her weight in the group and her gender identity is her business, plus no one outside of Geddoe's team would even know. I can respect that.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Geddoe's grand speech is going to be epic, hilarious, or both.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I like how Salome was apparently traumatized throughout the rest of the scene after she called him "old."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Strayed posted:

Also, since you brought up the manga it's worth noting just how powerful it made Luc appear during his confrontation with Jimba. If I remember right, Luc is able to use his True Rune to change the air pressure in Jimba's body, causing his internal organs to explode. Jimba was only able to hurt him through the equivalent of a sucker punch.

You'd think Jimba would have the upper hand in that kind of fight considering humans are, y'know, mostly water.

• Locked thread