Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Yay a competent, effort based LP of this game.

I'm so excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

This game is dull as watching grass grow, but I'm looking forward to the actual interesting story bits.

Yeah it's kinda this. I had to put it down because oy things get really muddled in the middle. I'm looking forward to someone actually getting through this because it does some amazing things that make it perfect for an LP over actually playing it :v:

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

I think my biggest gripe with 3 (and 5) were the nearly intolerable load times.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

UmbreonMessiah posted:

Goddamn, why is it that Roland is such a dick? I just realized so much of the awful stuff that happens to Hugo would have been averted if he weren't such a dick. :smith:

He's an elf. Elves in Suikoden are dicks :(

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

yokaiy posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, the Clans were to all send separate messengers. They're all allied with each other, and technically part of the same nation, but they don't have a central government to speak of -- just Clan meetings where their leaders will all get together and chat. It's not too strange for them to all send their own, in that case. The game is a little vague about that, though.

What is, strange, however, is how only two Clans sent messengers. Unless the others happened off screen, that leaves the Duck Clan, Chisha Clan, Safir Clan, and Alma Kinan Clan unaccounted for. Well... the first three, anyway. Alma Kinan doesn't get involved in this stuff.

I think, also, there was some miscommunication on everyone's part. If Hugo had been a bit slower and met with Dupa on the way, or if he'd realized who he was talking to sooner to give the message to Chris instead of trekking all the way to Vinay (and Roland had been less of a dick, in that case), then he could have just been done as soon as he reached Brass Castle.

As it turned out, everyone's timing was a little off. Chris left Vinay too early for Hugo to talk to her there, Hugo realized who Chris was too late at Brass Castle to give her the message, and Dupa arrived at the castle too late, which then let him pass his message off to Chris instead of having to go to the Council. (Though I think the Lizards wouldn't mess with the Council anyway; he'd have tracked Chris down even if he had to do it in the capital.)

Poor planning on everyone's part?

Did that all make sense?

And this is what I love about this game, because it is perfectly written around the main gimmick of the game, the Trinity Sight. We get to see every single near miss.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Glazius posted:

"We're trapped behind enemy lines! What do we do?"

"Hmm... MURDER CIVILIANS."

That wasn't even like the dude's fallback plan, that was his first option.

Suikoden III as a whole is a game focused on really terrible plan A's that they just go with without any consideration that there could be a plan B.

It makes it kind of awesome.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Theres at least 107 best characters.

There's one that's least.

Oh boy is he least

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

UmbreonMessiah posted:

Getting a bit more focused on where the game is going...

I started with Geddoe when I first played Suikoden III. Actually, to be honest, I bought Suikoden III because I'd heard about how amazing Suikoden I and II were, but had never played them. So Geddoe wasn't just the first character I picked, but he was really my introduction into the Suikoden world.

I don't think I picked wrong :allears:

I'd almost say this is the best way to play it, story wise.

But Hugo first is defensible and probably most logical.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Geddoe is just jaded as gently caress and is way too old for this poo poo.

I love him :allears:

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

I love geddoe because you can try to do the fights right, or you can just use your level three.

:effort:

:science:

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Wonder how many times a clever kid could trick the tooth fairy

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Vil posted:

These events, and this line in particular, stuck with me really well, even long after playing the game myself.

There's even FIFTY of them! :ohdear:

:downsrim:

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

vilkacis posted:

For a while there I was going to agree with Cecile, but this has a certain appeal. No one's going to want to invade it with a name like this.

You are a terrible person. :saddowns:

im not naming things anymore after what happened last time :x

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

I'm gonna vote for

Sgt. Joe

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Odessa would be amazing!

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

I'm still sorry :(

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Raitzeno posted:

IIRC the way you achieve Nirvana (through the Eightfold Path) in the first place is repeated reincarnations, and the more evil you do in any given life, the further down the chain you get kicked; humans are fairly close to the top, though they're divided by castes, and cows are one of the final stages before just being done and chill forever. On the lower side of things, being an rear end in a top hat gets you reborn as poo poo like rats and snakes.

Yuber's taking the dudes that aren't going anywhere, celestially, for a while and putting them to work doing what they clearly like. (Maybe if you kill these new lifeforms before they have a chance to do evil, you're helping them out? Seems a little too involved for a throwaway reference.)

E: Other than having some tenuous connectino to Yuber we have approximately zero idea of what Permerga's Deal(TM) is.

E2: vvv I'm an idiot, and Buddha was a smart guy.

I'm a pretty avid eastern religions guy, and a buddhist myself, and I was going to type out basically just this interpretation but I was beaten to it.

The eightfold path is the proposed solution to the suffering of the world by the buddha. It involves specific kinds of proper conduct in order to achieve a cessation of suffering. It is a portion of the Four Noble truths (1. life entails suffering 2. suffering is a result of desire 3. the removal of desire also removes suffering. 4. The eightfold path is the method proposed to remove desire[it involves right action instead of wrong action somewhat like the 10 commandments, but better imo].

In hinduism and buddhism there is something called the "wheel of samasara". It refers to a cycle of birth and death that rotates based on a being's karma (attachment/desire). You could think of it in christian terms as a purgatory. If one believes in reincarnation, what you end up in the next life is a result of your karmic debt that's been kept since the beginning of time. The badder you are in this life the more monstrous the body you reincarnate into.

Yuber would then be summoning monsters that were really really bad dudes that would be bound to him because of their karma levels. You could involve the eightfold path and say that the monsters are working off a bit of their debt by acting as agents of Yuber.

It's a little bit of a stretch but I think that's what they're going for.

You could probably localize his rune as the "Purgatory Rune" and get a similar understanding.

bean mom fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 3, 2015

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

luc is the true hero of this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Rirse posted:

Team Geddoe needs to be his crew of Ace, Joker, Queen, Aila, and Jacques.

no other choice

• Locked thread