Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Contra Calculus posted:

Really? I was under the impression it was considered the best in the series.
I'm only familiar with LP's, but discussion in the threads consistently ranks the series as 2->1/5->3-------->4.

Still the best intro in the series though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

If you keep missing caps, you may want to record with FRAPS and take your screencaps with avspmod or something.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

yokaiy posted:

New update in the works, finished screen capping and everything, just need to sort through them and then I can start typing it up. Thanks for putting up with my slow-rear end update schedule. :downs:
You should only feel bad if and when you abandon the LP.

Or if you manage to drag it on for five years, promise to start replacing the earlier update images because your host died in the meantime, and only then abandon the LP.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

It took me the longest time to figure out that my vision was jittering rather than the picture. I liked it better that way :saddowns:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

yokaiy posted:

Dude... are you okay? You might want to go to the doctor or something. :ohdear:
Hah. Nah, nah, I just haven't slept in a few days.

Edit - "n't".

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

yokaiy posted:

Now go to sleep.
It's not that easy :argh:

But seriously, have the "lol" jump spastically around him.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Is that the staff chick from the opening?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

quote:

"Which of the following phrases is not possible?"
:
>"I raise wild boar."
>"My piranha is a vegetarian."
>"I ate some cactus for dinner."

: "Which of the following cannot fly?"
:
>"A duck."
>"A winghorde."
>"A dragon."
I'm missing something here. What's the logic behind the right answer?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Thomas either has a very long torso or a very tiny head.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

How long does the animation take and is it skippable?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Pokeytax posted:

Fortunately, this critical information was provided in the Suikoden III artbook. Is Fubar really two Karayan soldiers in a suit? Science can tell us.

That sure is a lot of people we haven't met yet. Good job!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

yokaiy posted:

So, how about another round of "Yokaiy Draws Things To Get Off The Page."

Any requests?
The castle doggie sure has a lot of doghouse models. Some of our party members probably suggested their own versions of said doghouse that were a bit too... out there, to implement ingame.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Speedball posted:

Uh...second request: Geddoe's team as playing card people. With their Karayan guest as Ten, of course. ?? (apologies if this is out of line)
Aww, I was hoping for a proper card style:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

vilkacis posted:

A 6/2 unit has a ~3% chance of both dodging and hitting a 12/8 unit. Just like any other game that relies on random rolls, it's going to happen occasionally.
More importantly, the player is likely to choose strategies that make statistical sense rather than relying on the RNG to favour him. So any surprise bullshit random chance upsets are far more likely to help the AI.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

yokaiy posted:

Now we've got Karayans to deal with as well!

For Kara-ying out loud!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

On average, you're going to run into some sort of computer trouble about once a year. Of course, you won't rush to share it with other forum posters unless said trouble is delaying highly anticipated updates. :ms:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

yokaiy posted:

Continuing another conversation from earlier about me possibly doing a short LP of Nash's game, I gave Suikogaiden a whirl on the ePSX emulator, and it runs fine. However, and this is both weirder and more annoying, I'm actually having issues capping it! I use Greenshot as my capture thing, since I don't actually have a printscreen button on my laptop, and it's been pretty reliable up until now. The weird part is that it has no issues getting caps of the opening song, but then in the actual game? All my shots end up just being black images. Anyone have any suggestions? I could just do a blurb of the game instead of a mini-LP, but that seems less cool. :smith:
Use Fraps and take screenshots from the footage?

Otherwise, get thee to the tech support fort.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Stroth posted:

Most of her vitals. She's wearing a miniskirt and a cut femoral artery will drop someone in under a minute.
Let me out :spergin: that - very few armies actually had proper leg armor. Like half of all viking battle casualties have a cut in a leg bone that either killed them or immobilized them for the killing stroke.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

yokaiy posted:

Okay. Planescape: Torment and Sakura Wars... I'll have to track both of those down now. You said Planescape is on the LP archive, so it shouldn't be that hard to find. Has the Sakura Wars LP updated recently enough that I'd be able to actually read it without the archives upgrade? It doesn't sound like it's done yet, right?
http://lparchive.org/lpmaster/
For all your LP finding needs.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I dunno, still feels like it has a weird janky effect (though that may be from the mocap actors' exaggerated movements.).
I think that's a thing in pretty much all mocapped Japanese games. I first noticed it in Dark Id's Clockwork Tower LP, and can't help but see it everywhere now.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

FairGame posted:

That's still confusing, since it can be interpreted as I did. In fact, I suspect my interpretation is the more common one.
Yeah, I'm also fairly sure that "spouse of X years" = "these two have been married for X years".

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Took me forever to figure out who the first figure is. vilkacis better get that Suikoden 1 update going soon.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

I can think of few characters in a JRPG I've loved to hate as much as the Zexen Councilmen.

gently caress those guys, good lord
I'm currently playing through Radiant Dawn (does that count as a JRPG?) and there's the Begnion Senators. A bit of a similarity there.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Wolf Castle, obviously.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Is Mua designed with some genuine Heraldic imagery in mind, or is that just random?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

I can't help but laugh at Aila's new outfit.

Mostly because it looks like something out of the real world and not from a JRPG world. Granted, Geddoe's entire group looks reasonably dressed, but still have a few fantasy touches to their costume design here and there. Aila? She looks like Queen raided Macy's or Old Navy for that outfit.
There are a lot of "medieval" shirts, pants, jackets etc that wouldn't look that out of place right now. Fantasy / historical media tends to stick to things that look a bit more authentic, even if they aren't.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Did we even see the guy at any point after we left Hugo's village in the first few updates? Kudos to anyone who remembered that he exists, much less made a connection.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Wow. Looking it up, the difference between how adequate the Japanese opening movie and how terrible the English one is astounding.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Testekill posted:

You mean the Sega Saturn version right?
No idea - every English "Suikoden 1 intro / opening" on youtube seems the same.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I don't know about how other readers feel, but to me, recycled strategic battles are somehow even worse than regular strategic battles, which are already the least interesting thing about this LP by a long margin. Feel free to skip any that take place in the future, particularly if they're going to kill your update rate.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I think the OP is missing some of your doodles (the doghouse and some others).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

yokaiy posted:

Okay, let's mosey.
Stop sayin' it like a wimp! Can't you say 'Move out!' or somethin'?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

yokaiy posted:

I feel like there have to be more examples of it, but I can't think of any. That's kind of distressing.
Any kind of pulp adventure that involves a jungle or a lost city? Anything Conan the Barbarian Howard related?

Granted, those aren't necessarily the people who built the would-be-ruins to begin with, but still.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

vilkacis posted:

https://youtu.be/HI0x0KYChq4?t=1m31s

Those little pre-dungeon scenes are so great. :3:
I think it's a mistranslation - that's actually supposed to be us talking to her.

Also missing a comma.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

vilkacis posted:

I did say that I'd like to go back and do 1 and talk about how it's actually connected to the book it's based on, but realistically speaking, that's not going to be anytime soon - for one thing, I have to re-read the whole 2000+ pages and refresh my memory first.
I kinda wanted to do a read-through of the 4 classics before LPing Jade Empire, and man - everyone involved in Outlaws is such a loving rear end in a top hat.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

vilkacis posted:

Well, at leat you don't have to put up with Liu Bei :v:

Read it, read the superior annotated Russian translation, slowly going through the 2010 series (which I can't link due to :filez:) and currently reading huge forum posts comparing RotK to reality.

Historical fiction is extremely my poo poo, and you have to gently caress it up severely for me to stop enjoying it. Like, take it to space, throw in your lovely political views, and make the main character a perfect heroine instead of a neurotic sperg levels fuckup.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

vilkacis posted:

I've heard of that, but never read any of it. ...Now I kind of want to, though probably for all the wrong reasons.
Do you habitually read terrible fanfic? Because that's all that is, terrible "Hornblower in space" fanfic. Like everything published by Baen barring the Vorkosigan saga (which I heartily recommend) it's awful.

vilkacis posted:

Well to be fair he's not terribly annoying (compared to Lucretia Zhuge Liang at least) but he's just kinda boring when he's not being a cannibal or tossing babies around.

Where's the guy with the "Benevolence" avatar? Maybe another one of him eating "wolf meat" and crying.

Edit - Benevolence!

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 5, 2015

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Today I've learned that threads now have more than a year to go before they drop into the archives. What's up with that, anyways?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Is that the new "congratulations' gif? I approve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

yokaiy posted:

:3: Welcome to the forums, and also to my thread!

Obviously this is not an update, but--!

That's quite a nose.

• Locked thread