Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

It is a little known fact that Tir in the original Suikoden was named after the Flame Champion.

Also, Joe is the best duck. :wotwot:

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

^ Yup, the limit is 20. You should upload at least the most common ones as images if you want to keep using them as portraits.

quote:

"The griffin is tame. The duck, I wouldn't be so sure."

Ah yes, Suikoverse elves. The more I see of them, the less I like them. :argh: I rather do like the random racism in the castle, though.

Adult Stew is a reference to Suikoden II where it was one of the things you could make with the recipe for Gremio's special stew if you added salt to it. Doesn't make it sound less weird, though, but I guess they were having a hard time coming up with names for everything.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, okay, there are some perfectly sane elves out there - it's just that any time you find one in a position of authority, they're a total cockend.

"Oh, you came all the way here to warn us that someone is planning to burn our village down? Why don't you sit in the dungeon for a bit and think about how stupid you are. :smug:"

"What's that Kirkis, you went to get help so our village won't get burned down? DUNGEON."

And now it's like "Look, the little injun boy thinks he's got rights. Terribly sorry, but in Zexen we reserve those for real people. :smug:"

Then in IV "The enemy has a giant death laser and have already nuked an entire island just to see if it works! Let's see how much we can piss them off."

So yeah :v:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Joe is great, but I like Lucia a lot, too. More JRPG leads need to have badass not-dead parents.

Speaking of Joe, nice avatar you got there. :ducksiren:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:haw:

It's been a while, but as I recall, Chris is hella rich and gets something like 200k to start off with. But she's going to have to make that last because I think she just goes "eh" if you try to buy lottery tickets.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I approve of angry tea drinking. :allears:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

yokaiy posted:

Dupa turns his attention back to Chris, either out of duty or feeling that Borus wasn't worth his time.

I'm just gonna assume it's the latter. :laugh:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I like reading words.

yokaiy posted:

Louis is, obviously, the smallest of the bunch. He's still a child, though his exact age is, I don't believe, ever mentioned.

It might not be mentioned in game, but Suikosource lists him as born in 461, and S3 takes place in 475, so he should be 14 at this point.

While we're on the subject, Chris is 21, Borus 24, Percival 25, Leo 36 (!), Salome 31 (in robot years) and Roland is 25.

quote:

I don't know, is that normal for elves?

It seems pretty common. The first games had blue and purple and I think the elven NPCs had green hair. And Selma in IV/Tactics has green hair as well.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

yokaiy posted:

What do these people think a war is -- a baseball game?

"Behold the power of the True B-Ball Rune!"

Ah well. As much as I appreciate Chris, it is time for the best character. :unsmigghh:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Hell yes, Hitman Bravo! This thread is definitely going places. :allears:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

The 108 Slams of Destiny await!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Oh goodie, it's the Harmonia Globetrotters!

That expression. :haw:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I vote yes don't put these things up for voting. For the sake of your sanity.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:effort: Geddoe is great, but this one is my favourite. :allears:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I really love the Twelfth Unit. They're such a great bunch of characters and their antics are well worth playing the game for. :allears:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I never noticed the design on Melville's socks before. :haw:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Make room for me on the Eh :bandwagon:.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

yokaiy posted:

Next time, we watch the village burn for the third time.

I do hope it's not habit-forming.

Nothing wrong with the outfit, but those collapsing swords look so silly.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

UmbreonMessiah posted:

Are those collapsing swords? I just always assumed he magicked them out of his coat sleeves because...well...

I'm pretty sure. You can see how they fold up.

The fact that he probably could magic them out of his sleeves only makes it sillier.

Testekill posted:

Come on, are you going to tell him that they look silly?

If I'm close enough to have a conversation with him already, I don't think I have much to lose :v:

yokaiy posted:

How else is he gonna hide them in his sleeves?

By making his sleeves bigger on the inside, of course!

Edit: Speaking of bigger on the inside, your link to the latest chapter is broken in the OP.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 17, 2013

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I'd pay a buck for DLC that puts Geddoe in a suit. It... uh, suits him.

quote:

I've been capping in-game, since I'm not sure my laptop could run a recording program on top of the emulator. That said, I cap like mad, so I might have enough pictures to do that with anyway. I'll have to dig through my pictures again and check.

If you're using PCSX2, you don't need a recording program. The emulator has an internal recording function that will always capture footage that plays at the correct speed (even if it slows to single digit FPS when you're recording.) Give it a try the next time Hatman shows up! I believe the default button to start or stop recording is F12.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, there's a lot of options and I'm not sure how well all of them work. I use one called "(VfW) x264vfw - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Codec" which records high quality video without getting ridiculously huge, but you may have to install a codec to get that. Uncompressed should work fine as well, but will get ridiculously huge.

One problem I forgot to mention is that it records video and audio as separate files, and while it asks you to name the video, it always names the audio file "recording.wav". And, it won't ask if you want to overwrite it if one already exists... so always rename it after you're done, or it'll get overwritten the next time you record.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Shouldn't this guy be taking a ring to Mordor about now?

I do like both versions of the Borus scene. But of course it's more satisfying to beat him up.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Well I'll be hosed! Wasn't expecting that.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Holy hell, that salt is expensive! Looks like Frey's hoarding has led to a world wide shortage.

And holy hell times two, Guillaume is such a creep. Such. A. Creep. Suikoden has its share of murderous asshats, but I can't really think of anyone who can match him in sheer :gonk:.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I like all those little continuity nods. S3 doesn't have that much to do with the earlier titles, but it's nice when you get a little glimpse of something you helped set into motion.

Ace is 34 if Suikosource is to be believed (born in 441, S3 takes place in 475).

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

^
Naw, just the One Ring.

I'm not sure I want to know what kind of spider makes webs that thick.

Or what they expect to catch in them.

Thomas' chapters are great. Looking forward to this. :3:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Holy poo poo, I never knew about the second version of that unite! Wow.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I didn't. I don't know who did, but it wasn't me. Imagine my surprise when the thing popped up between two posts.

I'm kinda proud, actually. It's the first time someone buys me an avatar, and it doesn't even have red text. I thought I'd have managed to piss someone off at this point.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

yokaiy posted:

Creepers are back

"Someone mention my name?"

I never cared much for Juan. And I don't care how good he is in combat, either. If I don't like you, you can't be in my party. :colbert:

I like the way Thomas flees from the area boss, though.

Also, the kid's expression. :haw:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

quote:

Go back to your own game, Kyle.

"I'm going!"

quote:

That's generally how I play as well. However! This is a LP! And by LP rules, I must suffer! And so, once parties aren't locked by plot anymore, I'll be deferring to you guys near the end. Which means I'll probably get stuck with Juan. Alas.

You could always institute a rule against boring, overused and overpowered characters. :colbert:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

yokaiy posted:

:stonk:

You're from Falena, aren't you.

Wouldn't doubt it. Deporting people like him will be our first order of business when we finally take the place back. :argh:

I don't think I ever recruited Ayame or Gordon that early, and that goofball Augustine on top of the ninjas? Thomas should do pretty well when he starts needing to have people disappeared.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

yokaiy posted:

Stop ruining the timeline!

Never!

Also this is great. Someone needs to adopt it as their avatar. :allears:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

drat it, the Great Old Ones weren't supposed to wake up for another several million years!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I'd play more JRPGs where the most exciting thing that happens is that your librarian locks himself in the basement for a week. :downs:

yokaiy posted:

I buff up everyone's weapons because why not, putting everyone at level 8 except Augustine, who actually starts out with a level 9 weapon anyway.

So jealous :negative:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

[b]:([/b]

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I appreciate that your actual characters take part in III's war battles, that their stats and abilities matter more than them just giving, say, an extra use of Recover or whatever. But it doesn't make up for the fact that you have to entrust your party to the AI. I'm here to play the game, not watch it play itself!

yokaiy posted:

: "Conquer the Great Hollow? That is not a pleasant task."

See? Roland's actually not that bad for an elf. He's not excited about genocide in the least.

Nah, it's just that he thinks Great Hollow is too cold and damp for his delicate elven physique and will give him the sniffles.

Bremen posted:

IV's war battles had some interesting elements of strategy and planning

Picking the attack that will prevent the enemy from ever hurting you and using it until they die may technically qualify as "strategy and planning", but I would hardly call it interesting. Even the final boss is just hoping he doesn't get lucky twice against the same ship.

IV would have needed some kind of skill system in order to be interesting, in addition to enemies with more diverse setups.

cdyoung posted:

I've had situations in Suiko2's war battles where my units who have twice the att of the enemy getting routed. It gets annoying when a 12/8 unit is beaten by a 6/2 consistantly

A 6/2 unit has a ~3% chance of both dodging and hitting a 12/8 unit. Just like any other game that relies on random rolls, it's going to happen occasionally.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

The horrors of Cute Roland aside, you are still the greatest. :allears:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Still classier than what I went with :v:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I dunno, it kind of assumes the reader is familiar with a meme that's upwards ten years old by now.

Personally, I thought yours was pretty straight-forward from the start. :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Oh boy, Roland is talking again. Joy!

...and I had completely forgotten about Chris passing out.

Zosephine posted:

Don't worry, I got your joke in less than five whole minutes! :haw:

Mission accomplished, then! :haw:

Zosephine posted:

I've been playing enough Fire Emblem: Awakening lately to appreciate the fact that this game actually uses the word "bastard" when it wants to.

Moldy onions, what sort of dastardly knave would spew such pegasus dung?

• Locked thread