Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

yokaiy posted:

Before the game starts, we're prompted to name the Flame Champion! Unlike people we get to name in the other Suikoden games, however, he doesn't have a canon name.

Lies! None of the Suikoden protagonists have canon names, just commonly accepted names. Most of them are taken from their associated manga, made after the fact. The protagonist from 5 even has two commonly accepted names - one from the manga, and one from a save on a special memory card released around when the game shipped.

Since he's probably a heathen tribal, and since Two Dogs loving won't fit, let's call the FC One Wing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

yokaiy posted:

Also your first suggestion made me laugh more than it had any right to and I have NO idea why.

quote:

On a rainy day, an little Indian from a tribe goes to his chief and asks, "Chief, how do you name all the people of our tribe?"

The Chief replies,"Oh, it quite easy. When baby born, I look first thing I see moving in wilderness, and name baby just that."

"How so?" asks the Indian.

"Well," replies the Chief, "if I see coyote running in field, I name baby Running Coyote, if I see bull sit, I name baby Sitting Bull."

"Oh, I see now" says the Indian.

Then the Chief turns to the Indian and says, "Well, why do you ask, Two Dogs loving?"

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Please tell me you can make a version with just the bottom pair of eyes.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

No, I think he just hit the smiley limit.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Calax posted:

Just out of question, is there any ways to outright break the crap out of the game? I know in the IV let's play he just went ahead and use savestates to get the golden hammer right from the get go, and V has a few total gamebreakers.

It's been a while since I played, but there's at least two characters who will punch out the world, and Hugo on Fubar quickly becomes absolutely devastating. Also, we'll be getting some very, very nice runes eventually.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

It's Ged. Eh is the only choice.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Bench Juan? No way. He may not look it, and he may have some rune issues, but Juan is a goddamned combat monster. Sure, you have to give him something to prevent sleep, but it is entirely worth it for his wrecking machine level Skills. An A in Swing and an S in Continual Attack, combined with the light weight of fists, means he'll be hitting a good dozen times every round, and an S in Heavy Damage means a lot of those will be crits. Juan is one of the two most broken fighters in the entire game.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

GulagDolls posted:

It's one thing to read. But if you are actually playing it, the speed at which things happen makes it unbearable.

The speed is agonizingly slow. If you aren't liking the characters, then this part of the game is pretty unbearable, but it is entirely optional.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Will you show off recruiting Mel as not-Chris, just for completion's sake?

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Strayed posted:

To be fair though I do remember reading somewhere that Tir was named after the Flame Champion though I couldn't for the life of me provide a source.

This thread, first post after yokaiy asks us to name the Flame Champion:

vilkacis posted:

It is a little known fact that Tir in the original Suikoden was named after the Flame Champion.

Also, Joe is the best duck. :wotwot:

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

I think Guillaume is going through a midlife crisis. Once a run down, dull and lifeless appraiser, Guillaume is now trying to make up lost time in adventure and making trouble. I actually think he's got a great concept. :allears:

At last, our detective! There are actually some neat reports to find. Let's look into Joe's violent military career and learn about his blood soaked past.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

I don't know if I'm remembering correctly, but doesn't Guillaume also have combat stats if you look at him? I think he's the only support character who does, and you can't do anything with them.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

This also shows the one reason the manga sucks: Chris cries in every other scene. "I'm just a woman"? gently caress you, manga author. I don't care how unrealistic it is, I want invincible Silver Maiden Chris Lightfellow, not some sobbing waif. Your attempts to make Chris feminine fall utterly flat and you should be ashamed.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Where the gently caress did Sheba come from

Sheba you were not there for Lulu's death

:frogout:

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

As much as I love Geddoe, this is all Hugo. Giving up the perfect combination of Geddoe and TLR so soon just hurts, and Hugo taking the True Fire just works best from a story standpoint.

yokaiy, will you be showing any of the stuff exclusive to each of the characters' chapters?

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Votes are dying down, so I did a quick tally.

Hugo - 45
Chris - 15
Geddoe - 8

Not what I was expecting! I guess people think Geddoe is best when he's slacking off in the shadows.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Delsaber posted:

As far as terrible fan theories go I'll take the Queen thing over anything involving Yuber and Pesmerga any day.

The only theory I'll accept is that Yuber and Pesmerga are actually really misguided door to door salesmen.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

: "You've got an idea to stop us from being run down like dogs by the enormous invading army? That's neat, I guess. Why are you talking to me about it?

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

yokaiy posted:

Oh, I've heard of Exit Fate. I think someone was doing an LP of it, had it up in a tab for a while. Been meaning to read the LP, at the very least.

You should! It's a great read.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

yokaiy posted:

: "The 27 True Runes give immortality and strong power to their bearers. I have seen that power executed once. Its effect is beyond imagination. A human should never be allowed to use it."

In other words: The previous Fire Bringer War ended suddenly when the True Fire Rune went crazy and caused a huge explosion so devastating that Harmonia signed a truce right then and there, in fear of it happening a second time, and the Grasslanders agreed to it because of that same fear.

If Lucia's talking about seeing a True Rune firsthand, she's not talking about the True Fire, last seen fifty years ago - she's in her fourties, I think. This is a reference to the Beast Rune in Sui2 - she saw that, and it's certainly something a human should never be allowed to use.

yokaiy posted:

This was a shock to anyone who played the first two games, as Luc was in both. Except, you know. As one of your 108 stars. Like, a good guy. Helping you out in war. Being a little snot about it, but still. He was a good guy. He even runs away with you in the bad ending of Sui2.

Luc, you are in so much trouble when Leknaat finds you, young man!

Isn't basically every playable character available to run away with you in the bad end? I'm not sure that you're reading more into this that there is to it.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

OddObserver posted:

I strongly suspect the damage you saw from Chris and Joe was thanks to Nei's buff. Now imagine that with Emily 5- or 6- hitting stuff..

This is probably true. Nei's buffs make her one of the best units in the game.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

It was me, Pesmerga! It was me, all along!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

KataraniSword posted:

Let's do this true rune style.

Hugo, Sasarai, Chris, Geddoe, and then Sgt. Joe and Fubar to help back our Flame Champion up. Can't have a true rune fest without the duck. :v:

Yes perfect.

• Locked thread