Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
EDIT: Hacker (both HOLLYWOOD and actual "Hello I'm from the Password Security Agency" kind) or Shinigami soon to come!!!

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Mina Fisher

Appearance: Black hair cut short in the front and left extra, extra long in the back, pulled into two braids. Multiple piercings on both ears and one eyelid. Bright purple rimmed glasses she doesn't actually need due to unseen cranial cybercomputer implants. Wears a lot of flashy - and gaudy - jewelry. Favors either an actual suit when "on business" or a lot of black, baggy clothing with unnecessary studs and chains.

High Concept: Technomancer Cybercriminal
Trouble: Bad With Blood

Backstory: Got a Lifestyle to Maintain

Mina wasn't born rich, but she sure did learn to enjoy being rich rather fast. As many people tragically born into poverty, Mina never really learned how to save or invest money. Which worked fine for her; her "job" ensured she made it fast enough anyways, starting with a simple pickpocket group, going solo, and eventually diving happily into the life of cybercrime. While the thrill of crime always called to her, it's the results that really widened her eyes. A lady needs hands so soft you could polish (her own) gold with them, don't you know?

Invoke: Throw money around carelessly, have the newest, nicest, best ______ on hand.
Compel: Act purely on greed, be unable to use money wisely

Yomikiri: Infovore.exe Trojan Horse

As with so many youth, Mina found herself in a cult as her life of cybercrime continued. Intrigued by the idea of technomancy, Mina finds herself in a group devoted to C://0r0nz0n, an Elder Being of pure data. While she learned no small amount about other cults and Elder Beings in general, she quickly jumped to the top of the class when it came to the actual magic. Unfortunately, all good things come to an end, and this story ends with a ritual designed to implant C://0r0nz0n inside her own cranial cybercomputer implants. The ritual is stopped just in time by members of the Soul Network, before the transmission could be completed. Well. Fully completed. Who knows what managed to make it through?

Invoke: Know inside information on cults, Elder Beings, and technomancy/computers in general (perhaps more so then she should)
Compel: Be hunted by former cult members, have remnants of C://0r0nz0n's code lurking in her cyber-implants

Volumn Three: Eternal Showoff

When new G://0st member Mina makes the "mistake" of intentionally signing her work (over and over and over again), she catches the attention of PSS-6 agent Melvin Albetson. Now that the PSS-6 has taken the case against her, can she escape his swiftly closing trap to catch this rogue hacker?

Invoke: Be recognized, totally already have a worm in this system
Compel: Be recognized, be hunted for her current (and rising) outstanding warrant

pre:
Template:
High Concept: Technomancer Cybercriminal
Trouble: Bad With Blood
Other Aspects: Got a Lifestyle to Maintain, Infovore.exe Trojan Horse, Eternal Showoff, Hack All IPs Simultaneously, 
She Of Many Mostly Just Two Faces

Skills
	+4: Hollywood Hacking, Burglary, Deceit
	+3: Casting, Will, Lore
	+2: Investigation, Stealth, Resources
	+1: Presence, Awareness, Empathy

Powers
	Ritual: Technomancy (-2)
	Refinement: 2 additional item slots (-1)

Stunts
	Honor Amongst Theives: Use Deceit instead of Contacts for Knowing People

Gear
	Four potions "programs" developed on the fly
	MeganeBeam.exe (fires AR laser, energy is transferred into real world power.  
Weapon 4, uses Hollywood Hacking for attack, one free use per session)
	Metatag: Wall (downloads BRICK_WALL.jpg as a one-shot shield in front of herself.
Block 4 vs physical attack, one free use per session)
TECHNOMANCY:

With near unlimited wifi and AR capabilities comes near unlimited access to increasingly bizarre systems. As Arcanotech is used more and more often in communication nodes, the world wide web has begun to stretch out beyond just the world. Even ignoring creatures such as C://0r0nz0n, magic has begun to very clearly effect the virtual world. Technomancy is the use of magic in the virtual to effect the real world - essentially dragging the internet into reality and vice versa. This could mean anything from physically controlling wires and other peoples' augmentations, to outright uploading real world objects into data or vice versa. The downside is that technomancy is hard. Unlike regular magic which can be thrust out with pure will (if often times corrupted by the use of alien magics the human mind isn't attuned to), technomancy requires both normal magic and substantial programming to work right, eliminating most on the fly uses. AKA I ONLY HAVE RITUAL. However, a few pre-made "programs" can be utilized, though often the magic focused in one dies out after one use. Mina's programs are slightly different - due to her interactions with the data entity C://0r0nz0n and it's partial habitation in her own cranial cybercomputer implants, her programs are occasionally much more powerful, deadly, and corrupting then normal, giving her access to things such as basilisk hacks or on the fly uploading/downloading from the web into reality and the other way around.

Mina's brand of technomancy typically adds a lot of traditional hermetic circles, diagrams, props and runes for long term rituals (to be intermingled and combined with advanced programming and computation(, and AR tags thrown at objects for program usage.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 29, 2013

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Just to be clear, Casting does not cover Lore and Conviction parts of standard spellcasting, right? This is just to make sure you still need three skills for the sake of balance, more or less, while giving non-spellcasters a bit of a step up.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
And Mina is done, along with a vague explination of her technomancy!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Ettin posted:

So for city suggestions so far:

• Dubai
• London Commuter Belt
• Atlanta
• New England or somewhere near water
• Neo-Tokyo
• Istanbul

OKShark/Cirno, anything to add?

I'm ok with whatever more or less, as long as my semi-punk cybercriminal fits in somehow!

We could do it in Australia but nothing interesting is there~

quote:

Oh man, North Korea. Maybe we should work out what happened to that place after a century of Cthulhu magic if you guys are going to involve that peninsula in your backstories.

Liberated thanks to the efforts of a lone, brave English teacher.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
OAV - Hack All IPs Simultaneously

It wasn't luck that lead Arthur's OOI agent to find and rescue him. While watching the raid through a mix of hacked cameras and technomagical sprites (mostly for kicks), Mina couldn't help but notice the tager fall and hit the ground only to turn human. A little cross referencing here, a bit of snooping in OOI databases there, and a match was found. All it took from there was one quick redirecting of a fellow agent's commands to put him in the right direction, and that's another Good Deed Done by the greatest cybercriminal known!

Invoke: Hack the poo poo out of things, move with unearthly speed while in CYBERSPACE, be granted affinity with bizarre technomagical creatures.
Compel: Be easily distracted by new tech, feel the need to break into any system she comes across just for the fun of it, be granted uncomfortable affinity with bizarre technomagical creatures.

~*~

My title suggestion is Nyarlatho-san Sweeper X.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Omake: She Of Many Mostly Just Two Faces

The Convenience Store Cult mission more or less went down without a hitch. Mina let her hair down, applied a quick dye job, put on a suit, and come in pretending to be one of the heads of the cult using her own knowledge of otherworldly creatures to supplement. Her mission was to find and open a few hidden entrances to let a new agent - some pop star? - in. Of course then some lunatic started shooting up the place demanding whatever the bizarre meat was and Mina found herself in a position of authority without any clue what to do with it, but hey, we can work through complications.

Invoke: Disguise herself impeccably, get information from others without them realizing it
Compel: Be (rightfully) confused for one of her disguises, have her disguises bring her more trouble then expected

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jan 24, 2013

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Theme: Technopsychosis
The world of today is not the world of yesterday. It wasn't too long ago that we didn't even have magic. Now, we have body swappers, aliens, unlimited and instant global communication, advanced prosthetics and human upgrading, parapsychic power, occult magic, arcanotech, and a large chunk of Asia blown to dust - and that's what's publically known. Unable to handle the constant change, covered in the increasing effects of arcanotech blanketing the world, more and more people are beginning to lose it. Parapsychics have always been edge cases, but arcanotech takes shorter to drive it's engineers mad, children are claiming they see things hiding in the shadows when their AR glasses are on, and heavily augmented humans find it easier to view the world around them as if they were just watching TV. And when these people snap, they take others with them.

Could be a threat if you add something actively guiding it!

Faction: Dark River Security
One of the many lessions Dubai learned from the riots was the need for higher security. Between the riots and the Xanthic Storm, eventually the private security contractor, Dubai Dark River Security was formed - and was shortly given an exceedingly permissive contract for defense of the city. BR Sec is feared across the entire city for their brutality and shock tactics. They rarely use non-lethal offense, and when they do it's only to bring someone in for interrogation - someone who isn't going to be seen again. Current rumors paint them as incredibly ambitious, and having many starkly illegal measures and employees such as unregistered parapsychics or technomancers skilled in hotsim hacking.

Aspects: Security and Order at Any Cost; Always Brings Out the Big Guns; Skeletons in Every Closet.
Goals: Tighten their hold over Dubai, ensure order and "peace" in the city.

Aspects: Shuggoth Crotch Prank.avi; Fertile Soil; Nerd Fight, Fighting Nerds
One of many virtual private networsk, the Elder Sign Fanclub is set up in a server hidden somewhere in Dubai. Officially, the Elder Sign Fanclub is a fansite for occult nerds to talk about arcanotech, magic, parapsychics, technomancy, and any number of otherworldly creatures - and to share badly edited, usually fake videos of them for nerd credit. Unofficially a scouting ground for both the OOI and the Soul Network. Amidst the poor photoshops and are the occasional actual lead on a potential threat, or the personal information on someone who'd make a good Ghost or Tager. The Elder Sign Fanclub was in fact founded by two men, both PS6 agents - one of whom would leave to join Ghost, making it also something of a battleground for the cold war between the two.

Threat: Idle and Desperate Hands
Dubai may have rebuilt and stabilized since the riots, but that doesn't make it healthy. Cult membership is if anything up. The desperation of the lower classes and poverty stricken workers makes for a ripe recruiting ground for cults that promise a better life to come; the vanity and decadence of the upper classes leaves them equally vulnerable to pleasure cults or soothsayers claiming to know the secrets to greater power and immortality. Either way, both groups contribute to the continued malaise that has begun to haunt the city.

Face: Saif Al Mansoury
Aspects: Faust With Many Devils; Predator Amongst Sheep; A Finger in Every Pie

A respected and powerful businessman, Saif managed to grasp true success from the riots. Managing several engineering companies, Saif ensured through political connections that he received most of the contracts to rebuild the city. Since then he continued to buy out other companies and land, and his international worth has only gone up, making him one of the richest men alive. Saif is by all appearances completely and utterly untouchable - and he's made a lot of friends and a few pacts, and not just with humans, to ensure such. He knows there's going to be a price to pay eventually, but he's not paying it today. For now he uses his influences to further both his own causes, and those of his "friends," introducing the other idle rich to exclusive clubs peddling new ideas and drugs, convincing his friends to join him in bizarre, decadent, and horrifying displays of vice, or intentionally setting up city blocks in very specific geometric shapes and patterns.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 28, 2013

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I was just spitballing, I wasn't going for any specific or exact number :v:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Ettin posted:

That's cool! You guys can suggest more even, that is fine with me.

SURE!

Faction: Gilded Hands
In Dubai, there are high rollers, and there are high rollers. The Gilded Hands is a unofficial group of some of the richest and most influential people in Dubai. They are united by twin interests of being the most powerful, and going beyond even that. There's rumors of strange occultism, of course. Human sacrifice, worship of strange beings, funding illegal gangs and organizations, and general acts of hedonism and sadism. But then, there's always those kind of rumors about the richest of the rich. They're never true.

Aspects: ...But We Wanted Everything; This City Is Our Plaything; Every Rumor Is True
Goals: Own Dubai, AND THEN THE WORLD...!, continue living the good best life

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The thing I was somewhat broadly going for with technopsychosis is that life in Ntech is probably pretty terrifying. All of a sudden you have the arrival of aliens, you have literal body swappers (or body snatchers to the paranoid!), you have part of Asia blasted away, and loving magic. I decided to add in some stock cliches like cyberpunk's "turning into a robot makes you lose your humanity" and the technomancy bits involving the internet because, eh, I like 'em, and I remember one story in Shadowrun I think? Where a dude went insane and started murdering others and how easy it was because his cybereyes made reality look like nothing more then a TV show. That was cool.

Lovecraft's big thing was that humanity is only sane because we are utterly ignorant to the horrible and uncaring world around us. I figure in Ntech, that ignorance is starting to peel away.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Congratulations to Desty for making the best post this game is ever going to see.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Season 1 has Mina, gamechanger right there.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Miami stinks in plastic-y, uninteresting ways. Like most of Florida. Cuba's got some depth.

But it's your guys funeral.

This legitimately only makes Miami a better place to run a dirty, crime filled, faux-glitter covered game of desperate cultists and insanity, where lowborn thugs scratch for whatever power they can get, and the mindless and innocent people crowd the street waiting to be picked off, is the thing.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Ettin posted:

Trigger Warning: Sharon's roll was a success with style, so if someone needs a +2 they can have a bonus from her now. If the rest of you roll well Cirno can use it without spending a FP I guess.

I'm not spending one, I'm using my free tag on my maneuver? But if nobody else needs the +2 I'll take it and save my maneuver :D

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
...Dare I ask why both Minas are overweight there?

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 23, 2013

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Ahaha no no I wasn't complaining! Sorry, I meant that to be joking, not upset. It's fine! :D

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Desty why are you always the best

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
MINA INCREASES HACKING BEST HACKING BEST IN HACKING EVER.

Also if Chapter 2 starts at Mina's place do I get to describe it~?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
All of these are horrible.

Some of these are being added.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Alright just for fun every player in Trigger Warning can add one fact about the apartment WITH ONE CAVEAT.

Don't make it creepy.

Does Mina have a secret exit? Is there a large statue of herself? Are one of you lounging in a pile of literal gold coins ("don't even not be asking me about no heist there.")? Is her room for technomancy rituals covered in posters of Nick Cage? Is one entire wall an aquarium? YOU DECIDE.

Edit: Use these as sort of a guideline. Something garish, obnoxious, expensive, and completely lacking in taste that could be cool somewhere else.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 3, 2013

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I totally forgot to use mine :(

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Desty posted:

I mostly keep forgetting about the soundtrack.

I don't think Sharon accomplished a loving thing the entire time, but then she's mostly just delighted to be outside the lab. I'm good with whatever comes up for the rest of the game, really.

And here I was gonna vote her for MVP

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I vote we bring her daddy issues in. Uh, somehow.

:smugwizard:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Compel "Born with a silver knife in her teeth" and have her realize the cultists have way more class then our sorry bunch of losers

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Ettin posted:

Technically the second is a maneuver. (Third option: Play dubstep accompaniment, annoy Arthur.)

ON IT.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The Fate Syndicate

The Diogenes Club may provide for ancient knowledge, and G://0st's shenanigans certainly provide for some money flow, but by and large the Soul Network fell far behind the Office of Occult Intelligence in terms of funding. That's where the Fate Syndicate steps in.

A strained relationship from the start, the Fate Syndicate mostly serves as acquaintances rather then full friends of the Soul Network. Made up mostly of Akathar who have fallen into a life of crime (though that doesn't preclude humans and even the occasional very odd other creature, such as deep one), the Fate Syndicate mostly serves as the Soul Network's emissaries in the Arcane Underground that forms in just about every city. Specializing in arcane goods, the Fate Syndicate keep the Soul Network in touch with any big movers and shakers in the Arcane Underground - and keeps a steady flow of cash moving between the various groups in return for other services rendered. Due to the high number of Akathar, they also occasionally serve as community figures, utilizing legal Akathar organizations as fronts and meeting points.

Many in the Soul Network are iffy on this alliance of convenience - especially the Shinigami, who often see little difference between the Fate Syndicate wizards and the ones they explicitly target). At best, they remain a sharp reminder as to why the OoI is none too happy about the Soul Network and it's groups. More often, rival Arcane Underground gangs start making life far more difficult for other Soul Network agents when they start seeing connections. And at worst, Fate Syndicate agents go rogue and must be put down as any other enemy, only one that knows all the Soul Networks' secrets, strengths, and weaknesses. However, the alliance remains, if simply because of their use. They offer valuable information on criminal networks, even more valuable illegal arcane artifacts or potions, and most valuable of all, cold hard cash and plenty of it when needed. Just note that each member of the Syndicate has a notebook in their head and they're calculating precisely how much you owe them - and how much you can be expected to pay off.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I see how it is. Try to hang out with people and they all ignore little Mina.

:qq:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
As the others have said, the big issue is the question of magic. Mina doesn't use a whole lot of it, but Da'ud is more or less built around it. Then there's the stuff with tagers or shinigami or NOT VAMPIRE and etc, etc.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I misread something then! I totally thought Sharon had brought a Madoka head.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Yeah, I thought Arthur stayed behind as well. The three of us should pick another item and grab it. Grab it faster then they can! Better then they can!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Why are you gunning down magical girls.

Jesus christ, Miami.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Sharon Clone.

Alternate response: The Sharon that was never made in EP shows up, goddamn Pandora Gates.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Destrado posted:

Rani would probably fit right in in Miami, just saying.

I was actually worried it would be too on the nose!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The above two suggestions at the same time.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I admit I'm not sure how Mina would change over, since in combat she makes use of very DFRPG style items. The actual technomancy in her rituals and "programs" could simply be folded into the skill with a stunt, I admit.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Kai Tave posted:

Traditional Games > The Game Room > [FATE/DFRPG] NyarlathoTech OOC - Everything is Terrible, Everyone is Anime

You mistype there, Kai.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I would, but non-Trigger Warning only.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Ettin posted:

TW can have something next adventure :buddy:

(Still waiting for Mors' finger to be less hosed, but feel free to pester Mizuki.)

(Also PT people should post goddamn.)

We did pester her!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
My two refresh on Ritual also hasn't come up too much outside of one case at the very beginning.

As far as items go, I feel you reach a point where you're trading refresh for the ability to make advantages and aspects the same as you normally would without the items. I cheated a bit and made my two items an attack and defense item (well not actually cheating, but still using it the best I could) so they always have a use. My programs, likewise, often end up being "a thing I probably could've just rolled my skill to do."

I think the issue is that these things more or less come down to taking an ability you would've already had, then putting it behind a refresh gate for the sake of just having the refresh gate. It'd be easier - and likely no more powerful, and probably LESS powerful - to just make "USE MAGIC" a skill, then use stunts to convert it to other skills. Maybe make Ritual/Thaum a stunt that says "1/scene" or "1/adventure" or "spend one FATE point to use HOLY poo poo MAGIC instead of another skill"

EDIT: Like Mors can chime in to disagree but I wouldn't be opposed to removing evocation entirely as I don't think it meshes well with Fate Core's "no more weapons" business. If you really want, make it a stunt: "Spellcasting attacks are now treated as Weapon 1; you can take mental damage to increase this by +1 for each box of damage you take."

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Yeah, I'd be down for the switch.

• Locked thread