Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Just to recommend another retail website, I recently bought some stuff from Hurricane Golf, and found from shopping around that their prices are some of the lowest around, even cheaper than GPP Golf. Their staff is also friendly (I called with questions) and they ship quickly.

As a side note, I'm not brand-brand new to golf but this is the first time I've decided to actually take it up as a regular hobby, and even though I suck I'm having a lot of fun \:unsmith:/

I really need to schedule some lessons though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

So my current set of irons (TaylorMade Burner 2.0) were an off-the-rack purchase online. Now I'm just under 6' tall and seem to hit everything 7i and above pretty well for somebody who hasn't played very long, as in I can hit the ball straight with good contact most of the time, so how worth it would it be to get retrofitted anyway, even if it's just the 5i/6i that seem to be a touch long length wise? I'm still new to this whole thing so I find the process a bit intimidating, to say the least.

edit: Just to throw this out there I got them pretty cheap so I'm not beyond the idea of just getting a new, custom set from scratch

shyduck fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 22, 2013

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Did my first iron fitting today :sax:

Ended up with a custom set of Ping G20 irons. I tried a few different irons including the G25 demo they had but the G20 just had the best feel to me by far. I got a different lie from stock and also go fitted for chunkier grips. All and all it was an easy process and definitely learned a bit.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

ohno posted:

Congrats! Gotta love getting new clubs. What did they do to determine that you have a different lie from stock? I've generally needed 1/4" - 1/2" longer shafts when fitted for a new set.
Thanks! They go off of static measurements such as height and wrist-to-floor length, then they had several clubheads with the same loft but different lies for me to try out. They put a piece of white tape with lines on it underneath the clubheads and had me hit off of a plastic board that scuffs the tape. They take those scuffs and see where you're striking, and the process continues until you find something you can strike on center. Since I'm a bit taller and have longer legs, I needed something more upright.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Golf Galaxy re-gripped some of my clubs and frankly seem to have done it kinda half-assed. Does the tape adhesive loosen with a heat gun or is it pretty much set? It's not that big of a deal but they don't line up with the club face and it's a little bothersome.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Thanks, I'm gonna try and do that tomorrow. I think I'm pretty much done with Golf Galaxy. Anytime I've gone into one, I've felt uncomfortable and the employees come off a touch arrogant, like I'm walking through their Ferrari dealership. I've asked for suggestions on stuff and I felt like I was trying to be sold the shiniest object rather than the right one.

I'm sure it all comes down to personal experience but mine haven't been so great.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 28, 2013

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

So in my quest to get my feet comfortable in this sport, I learned something good today. Since it was in the 60s and sunny today, I went to the country club on my base and used the range for a bit. I had said earlier that I got new grips, with some of them twisted and whatnot. I hit a bucket, with most of my irons going straight with maybe a slight fade. However, the grips just felt a bit large and they were much too spongy (Winn Dri-tac grips). Not happy.

I had been in the pro shop there before, and decided to see what they had in stock. They had several grips, with better selection and a much cheaper re-gripping fee (a dollar per club). I ended up talking with the resident pro about what my situation was and what I was looking for, and he couldn't have been more honest and helpful. He saw my current clubs and understood right away why I was upset, and he was getting mad just looking at the work GG had done, even pointing out stuff that I didn't even notice, like tape/glue sticking out of one of the clubs.

Long story short, my clubs are being re-re-gripped, but at a much lower price for something that's much better for me, and I couldn't be more satisfied with the service that I got that was located right under my nose this whole time. No more big box stores unless it's for something simple like golf balls or tees or something. It's an expensive lesson to learn but I can't even stomach going back to the local GG.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

DJExile posted:

Business is taking me to Orlando in April and I'm getting a chance to play the Waldorf Astoria Club. Anyone played it? It looks really nice.
I don't know but keep me filled in because I'm heading there for a week in July.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I would've liked 12 after my last round, from 13 on I completely tanked

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

A bit of a newbie question about putters.

Why is it that for instance, the Odyssey ProType series of putters is twice as expensive as their White Ice counterparts? The only obvious difference I really can see is the ProType being a milled face with no insert, with obviously the latter having an insert, which logically seems like it takes more R&D and extra manufacturing to make. It just seems counterintuitive.

On a related note, at the store today I made my first 3 putts with an Odyssey 2-ball ProType from over 10 feet out. Why must it be $300 :negative:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Ugh, glad I'm not alone in feelings about that forum. Even as somebody relatively new to the game, it seems like a golf-centric spergefest.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Just dropping in to say that Brandt Snedeker is awesome

Also, has anybody done paint fill on a club before? I want to re-paint the alignment on my White Ice #9 from black to white. Seems simple enough.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 11, 2013

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Callaway Pre-Owned is offering a free White Ice putter if you spend $150, for anybody looking for some equipment. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

lol nike golf

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

That is once they get done paying for their $150 Scotty Cameron ball markers

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Tell the road you're on that you're an rear end http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-2008-SCOTTY-CAMERON-FINE-MILLED-PUTTERS-LICENSE-PLATE-/170995129570?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d01a9ce2

edit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scotty-Came...=item51a00f4a83

This motherfucker sold 4 of these :stare:

shyduck fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 23, 2013

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Somebody thinks a top of the line driver will fix their poo poo swing

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Because there's a mighty profit to be had :colbert:

I've only been playing this sport for a short while but drat if everybody tries to sell you everything

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I've never been to an actual tourney, but don't be the guy that yells GET IN THE HOLE and other such slogans.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I just picked it up today for PS3, but I haven't been able to play it until. My weekend begins tomorrow though :getin:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Got out to the range today, first time swinging a golf club in a month. Did pretty well, took a while to get my long irons dialed in, and my drives were actually going relatively straight. In fact, I felt like I've improved my driving from the last couple of times out, if that's even possible.

The only thing that really sucked was the ground was still saturated from the 6 inches of snow we got in Illinois, but it was 60 degrees out and I couldn't pass it up. Progress!

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Nothing like a good session at the range to lose all confidence :negative:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Am I crazy for thinking I should switch to lefty?

I've played hockey for over 20 years as a lefty (right hand on top of stick), and I feel like I might be fighting 20 years of mechanics. I'm not sure.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Here's where things get wacky: I bat right handed.

I definitely understand the equipment deal, I've got a couple of friends that golf LH and do grumble about it from time to time. Maybe I'm just over-thinking all of this, but I feel like I'm not too far in to wonder if making a switch would work. I might just buy a couple of cheap clubs at Play It Again and swing them at the range.

I read an interview with Wayne Gretzky about golf and how even though he played lefty in hockey his entire life, he started out playing as righty because all the top players in the 70's and 80's did, and it was highly discouraged to golf left handed. He said he regrets not learning to golf lefty, and in fact fairly recently Mike Weir got him to use a left handed putter, and it's helped Wayne quite a bit.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 2, 2013

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

So I picked up a couple of lefty irons for cheap and went to the range.

Almost everything went straight :stare:

I felt like my body was turning more naturally though the swing.... I might be a lefty.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

More range time today. I'd either hit it well, or I'd skull the ball... which was 70% of the time. Yeesh.

I did buy one of those Callaway practice nets for the yard though, so I can embarras myself in the privacy of my own yard :v:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Just went to a 33" putter, White Hot Pro #9. Felt really good in store, can't wait to roll it on real turf soon.

My previous putter is a 34", and I stand 5'11", so I do have to stoop a bit more but it puts me more over the ball.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Took my new putter out to the practice green today (white hot pro #9), and felt very good. Took a lot of putts from all different ranges, and was either holing it or getting within a foot or two most of the time on putts from +10 feet out. I got a quick lie adjustment on it as well, a little more upright and felt even better. Success!

Also, the weather in Illinois today was just about perfect.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Bounce seems to be one of those small things that should only really matter if you're golfing professionally and need every slight advantage you can possibly get, and also have a sponsor that gives you free equipment.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

If you wanna buy multiple wedges with different bounce for multiple conditions then be my guest, by all means. I'm just saying that it might be impractical to do so and something not worthy of getting too hung up on.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

You mean I can't wear my jorts either?!!

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmOPgYwkm6A

:eyepop:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Anybody here use Taylormade R11 irons? Thoughts on them?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Nothing like a day at the range to lose all confidence from the past week :smith:

Felt off the whole time.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Welp, I have my first actual golf lesson next week by the pro at a local course. I'm also gonna get fit for a new set of Pings by him with actual real world conditions and not just striking off a piece of plastic and into a launch monitor. I'm glad I can do it this way because I have plenty of questions and I think I can get honest answers without all the sales pressure.

poo poo's getting real

Oh and remember when I thought I might be lefty? I actually went back to righty... but taking some lefty swings actually somehow taught me how shift my weight much more effectively. Like my body was turning better, but my arm muscles didn't like it after a while. I just took what I figured out to the right hand side, and I had a few of the best range and practice rounds I've ever had (even though my last one sucked but I think I was just sore). It was literally night and day.

So yeah, righty again, but that experiment actually paid off for me.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 10, 2013

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Driving range mats are the worst thing.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I feel like every time I go to hit balls, I get worse. Everything's either thin, sliced, or I'm digging a hole to China. Maybe 1 out of 20 will be hit well. I'm starting to question my own sanity trying to play this sport. At least I have my first lesson Thursday.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Thanks for the advice guys. For a while there I thought I was figuring it out, but it started going awry for me. I start to get frustrated so then I'll hit more balls at a quicker pace, like I'm trying to chase success. I'm very excited for Thursday.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Welp, looks like my lesson for tomorrow will be canceled. drat weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Giant Goober posted:

gently caress UPS. I bought some clubs off eBay a few of weeks ago, so far it taken them 14 days to go from TUSCALOOSA, AL 35401 to BIRMINGHAM, AL 35222 and back again. Not to sure how they're going to cross the Pacific ocean as it appears they're delivering on foot.
Was there an option to pick them up in person? I would've done that.

• Locked thread