Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
My advice to you as a new writer is to drop the gimmicks and try writing a straight story until you can pull it off, because this is just a bunch of newspaper snippets about a fire and nobody is seriously going to sit down and analyze your subtext in their free time.

Your English is okay and you seem to proofread your stuff so I guess you could try a week of Thunderdome and see how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

ScottyWired posted:

Do I also spell colour, neighbour and clamour incorrectly? What about centre and fibre?

Yes, all of those are wrong.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
There is a similar twist in The Sixth Sense. I'm going to hide it in spoiler tags, because not everyone has seen it:

M. Night Shyamalan is actually a bad writer.

What it does better than you was to make the story about something else (the boy's visions, the therapist's attempt to help him). Imagine if the Sixth Sense was just Bruce Willis and Haley Joel Osment sitting around watching terrible movies and then it goes PSYCHE, M. Night Shyamalan actually sucks. Would you stick around? No, of course you wouldn't. If you wanted to see somebody watch terrible movies you'd watch your own reflection during an M. Night Shyamalan marathon. But you don't because that's boring. Don't be boring. Instead, why not write an interesting story? I'll start you off with a good idea: there's a man, and his flatmate is a ghost girl. One of them wants something, but they can't have it. You can take it from here.

• Locked thread