Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013

InMyHighCastle posted:

I'm new here - and to writing fiction, actually. Please be gentle.

I've been wanting to get into writing for a while; I've jotted down plenty of story/character ideas but, probably due to my fear of being shockingly bad, I've never really taken one of these ideas and put pen to paper, so to speak. Anyway, today I decided to start changing that, and I wrote just a few paragraphs to see if I had any existing skill (however minor) which I was unaware of. I'm looking more for critique of voice/form than story (this sliver of prose is far too small for that kinda thing).

Here goes!

Is there any hope for me? I know I have a lot of improvement to go before I start entering the Thunderdome or something.

I'm glad you're putting the pen to paper, and ready to improve your writing! Here's my advice:

1) The prose is verbose and redundant. Look at this:

As I exited the station, leaving the more sheepish children behind, I saw it: the cart. A long wooden thing, accompanied by two intimidatingly large black horses who, I thought, looked like they could pull, or drag -- if their size was any indication -- the cart for miles without much effort, even if it was full of children

That's 59 words. What's happens in those 59 words? He leaves the station and sees a wooden cart large enough to carry many children, pulled by two imposing horses. Use less words. Remove all the redundant "I thoughts" and "if their size was any indications" because narrators can state things without telling us that they're stating them. Avoid using adverbs when possible. There are several adjectives that mean "intimidatingly large".

2) I don't get a sense of the story's conflict yet. Of course, the kid's getting shipped off to a foster family, but the kid just goes along with it. There's the broken axle, but the narrator has nothing to do with it. He or she just watches men discuss it. Start with conflict.

3) The narrator stops sounding like a child after the first paragraph. Children speak with simple, direct voices, and most of the time, they are quite self-centered.

4) You spend a lot of words describing physical things. This is a problem I have, too. The man's hat is "wide-brimmed, gloomy and dark" Gloomy and dark even mean the same thing. If I had to describe his hat, I would use "wide-brimmed" because it gives a clear image. I can't even picture a gloomy hat, to be honest. Cut down on the adjectives, and don't describe everything, just things that matter.

5) Proofread. There's a "dark shifting dark figure" in paragraph three.

PS: You use the word "dark" a lot. This made me think it was nighttime, but then when the guy put on tinted glasses, it made me think it was daytime. Don't overuse adjectives, because they can clash unexpectedly.

Best of luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread