Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Read Ficciones by Jorge Luis Borges if you haven't done so already. He often just makes up a book, essay, or article that he references throughout a work. He achieves the tone you are going for in a lot of his short fiction even when he's not using this method.

quote:

The composition of vast books is a laborious and impoverishing extravagance. To go on for five hundred pages developing an idea whose perfect oral exposition is possible in a few minutes! A better course of procedure is to pretend that these books already exist, and then to offer a resume, a commentary . . . More reasonable, more inept, more indolent, I have preferred to write notes upon imaginary books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Think back to the point people made earlier about writing needed to clearly convey ideas. You did better this time by cutting out the majority of the over-the-top descriptions, but you are still lacking so much clarity in your writing.

You should only use an imaginative metaphor or simile to express something that regular verbs, nouns, and adjectives just can't get across. When standard subject-->verb-->object can convey exactly what you mean, then you should just use it. You are making some really basic mistakes using regular words, so focus on fixing those before throwing similes in. The previous line-by-line crits have showed some of those, but look at these examples:

quote:

Jack and John’s relationship was like that of a scorpion or goldfish

The relationship between Jack and John is being compared to a scorpion or a goldfish. You cannot compare a relationship between two things to the relationship of one thing to nothing else: "Tom and Mary's relationship was like a scorpion's relationship," makes no sense. Are you trying to say that their relationship is LIKE A SCORPION... or maybe it's LIKE A GOLDFISH? I'm pretty sure that you mean their relationship is like the relationship between a scorpion AND a goldfish, so why didn't you just say "and" instead of "or"? Even if you had phrased this perfectly, it's a very weird thing to say and I don't think Jack and John's relationship seems anything like how a scorpion and a goldfish would act together. Think about the idea or feeling that you actually want to express, THEN think of the way you want to say it.

quote:

John rushed inside for his binoculars hanging by the door on a coat hook and then to a window

Here is an example of failing to use simple verbs, nouns, and prepositions to clearly express a basic action. It doesn't matter that the binoculars are hanging by the door on a coat hook. Trying to shove that information into the sentence kills the meaning of the sentence. It's also very troubling that you couldn't have at least put the commas in here so that the sentence reads properly.

I hope there are binoculars in the picture you are writing about, because otherwise you are way too into binoculars.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

One issue I had was that you are playing off us not seeing the ending coming. If you're going to do that you might want to avoid overt caricatures or the absolute worst case scenario accidental shooting. When your protagonist sounds like an archetypal crazy concealed weapons guy and when there is a "woman holding a baby," then we pretty much know what's going to go down.

For a surprise ending you have to force a certain expectation and then surprise the reader. You accurately portrayed crazy people who carry guns around everywhere, but when I read the first time through I thought, "Either the guy writing this is really into guns and this is a super lovely story, or the woman with the baby is going to get shot." The woman with the baby pushed my guess toward the direction of her getting shot, because even a from-my-cold-dead-hands gun nut would probably never write himself in as saving a woman with a baby; it would simply sound like too much.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I feel that you are missing the point of writing. You're trying to start out by painting like Pollock before learning how to draw a circle or a straight line.

The basic building block of a story is a plot. Even the shortest of short fiction has a plot. Stop trying to describe people leaning on fence posts a mile away from the over-described harbor. Make poo poo happen. Rewrite your concept so that it takes place over ten minutes or an hour. I don't care about this one out of context moment.

I think the concept is just terribly boring, to be honest. A shadowy assassin, a gruff military dude, an invisible cameraman narrator. I am really kind of confounded at your idea of mystery. You don't create mystery by writing so unclear that no one knows what is happening. You make cool stuff happen, but you hint and foreshadow at cooler stuff. You then slowly reveal the underlying nature of the cooler stuff while action and plot keeps happening and we come to care about the characters.

This is an edited version of my entry that won Thunderdome's MYSTERY WEEK. I don't think I am an amazing writer, but an earlier draft of this beat out 10-15 other people. Since this is the farm, anyone feel free to crit.

REDACTED

There is some "telling" over showing in this, but it was a very conscious choice.

The characters are not well-developed, but they weren't the point of the story. I really was just trying to develop a mystery within a plot (stuff happening).

I'm posting this specifically because you keep mentioning mystery, but I'm not getting "mystery" AT ALL from any version of your piece. I am also posting this because I don't think I did any physical description in this whole story.

The whole point of this story was: "Make the reader wonder what is up with the Seven Words and keep reading to find out." I toned down characters and descriptions so that the reader could stay focused on the Seven Words. If I turned this into a short story of 2,000 to 5,000 words, I would turn the characters into real people and add in more physical descriptions.

If you're going to have less than 500 words, you need a very strong and clear conflict that starts, rises immediately, hits a climax, and then a denouncement. Make that happen, stop describing poo poo. Make a plot, if you still have room, describe some stuff.

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 16, 2013

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

7,000 B.C. - First signs of protowriting
~4,000-2,000 B.C. - Hieroglyphs, Chinese ideograms, and Cuneiform emerge
~1,000 A.D. - Chinese printing press
1450 A.D. - Gutenberg printing press
20th century A.D. - Computer-based writing emerges
August, 2013 A.D. - Viggynash invents the "fourth-person" perspective, first used in his now famous works of fiction: Leaning on Fences and Walls with His Arms and The Fedora Gargoyle Diaries

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Okay we are kind of being dicks. With that said, a lot of us offered crits to several of his drafts and were actually trying to help him improve. I think I crit every draft of his first story with constructive advice.

Responding to people taking time out to help you with: "You just don't understand what I was going for," is really lame. I agree his second thing was an improvement over his first, but it did annoy me that he still stuck wtih a very goofy and non-conventional perspective instead of writing a straight-up story.

I don't know if he needs to step away from CC, but he does need to learn to take criticism. If everyone is generally agreeing that something I write is not working, I re-evaluate it after a day or so with fresh eyes and usually I will agree with the criticism that I received. I will go back and fix and improve the errors that I made. If I look again after a day and strongly disagree with the criticism, I may ask the person for elaboration, but I won't just dismiss someone because they "don't get it."

If you just get extremely defensive and don't improve, then why even bother?

I understand it can be frustrating to post a new thing that you worked on and still get negative feedback, but when you are first trying a new thing, You really shouldn't expect anything beyond: You are improving, but this is still bad.

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 13, 2013

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

There is a reason every TD judge has been telling you (you specifically) to stick to third or first-person past until you get the hang of it. You have been trying to do cute tenses and POVs since you first came to the TD and it has been tripping you up. The best thing you can do is to just stick with past tense third or first-person so you don't have to think about it.

The only tricky thing within that is you may need to go to pluperfect sometimes (I had seen, I had thought) to refer to something that happened further in the past.

When you are planning out your story, if at all possible to cut out any elements that would require tense, POV, or tone shifts, try to cut them out and tell a straightforward story.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Nothing is easier to fix than said-bookisms. It can be a bit tricky to work in the non-attributed dialogue that Martello mentioned, but to get rid of said-bookisms you just need to do an editing pass on your story where you check every instance of dialogue and turn whatever the hell you wrote into "said".

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Cingulate, I saw your thing and thought, "Cool, someone from the Linguistics thread is here," and then I saw your formatting and didn't bother reading it.

After my lunch break I will read and critique it (unless real work hits me), but I will probably paste it into word and fix the paragraph breaks in order to save my eyes.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Cingulate posted:

So now that the mood is all cozy ...
This is a snippet of something that'll hopefully turn out vaguely Coen-esque. Please tell me what's the main things I have to work on? My native language isn't English, which isn't meant as an excuse but simply so you know that telling me my main problem is not being a native speaker would be okay.

I don't know how you formatted this, but don't try to manually end lines when writing into an SA thread. When I pasted this into wordpad it formatted perfectly, but it looks like poo poo in the browser window.

You have some definite ESL issues, but they aren't that bad. If you want to keep writing in English, you will just have to practice a lot and build up your editing skills, because you'll need to catch the regular kind of issues native speakers have to find while editing in addition to some ESL-only errors.

You open with a scene of dance instructors making fun of their bad students. The hook is pretty good and the situation is something most people can relate to, but the prose kind of drags it down. You have started off with a very long "hook" that does not tell us anything about the plot until the end of the fourth paragraph.

Your opening line is a bit odd; I see what you are going for with it but it is too meandering from your main point. Opening lines in flash fiction have to be perfect. You succeed in establishing something of a hook, but it takes too long for the point of it to sink in. This is not the optimal solution, but just switching the order to:

quote:

Tyler’s was the only place in town to see worse dancing than the school gym during prom. Nobody hears as much awful guitar playing as a guitar teacher, nobody meets as many crazy people as a shrink.

I would find this actually better (when you edit flash fiction you want to cut as much as you possibly can):

quote:

Tyler’s was the only place in town to see worse dancing than the school gym during prom. Sometimes, when the last student had left, Ms. Tyler and the night-class instructor would impersonate a beginner displaying a unique, unknown form of talentlessness

I like this opening better because we are brought into the scene faster and the humor you are going for hits us quicker this way. The line I cut out about guitar players and crazy people can be cut out entirely or shrunk down and put in later in the paragraph. It serves to make the instructors not seem totally evil and sympathizes the reader to why they are making fun of their students, but it shouldn't be the opening line of the whole piece.

The sentence about the newcomer is too long and slightly awkward. I don't really want to see "three-and-a-half-to-four non-rhythm" followed by a relative clause, it's just too much. Put in an example of one of the bad students, but avoid dropping in so much technical description.

quote:

One new student SHORTER DESCRIPTION OF BEING BAD. DESCRIPTION OF WHAT MS. TYLER WANTED TO DO TO HIM.

You don't want a lot of short, choppy sentences, but if you have to have "that awoke in Ms. Tyler an urge to," just to combine the sentences, then it's not worth it.

The description of Joseph dancing is fine, that is as much technical explanation as we need and it shows (rather than tells) that the teachers are making fun of the students. I don't like the "..." at the end of the paragraph, make him finish his thought.

Third paragraph works as is.

In the fourth paragraph we finally have our inciting incident! Up until this point, everything had been a hook and your plot was not moving forward at all. In flash fiction you need the inciting incident as close to the beginning as possible. After the inciting incident happens, everything needs to build up. You don't have room in flash fiction to meander or put in scenes that feel fun. The dancing scene could work if the story were about a conflict with a certain student or conflict related to being dance instructors. It doesn't work in a story about a robbery. You could possibly make it work, but they would somehow have to be talking about the robbery while making fun of the students, which would be hard to pull off.

ESL mistake one: You can't "vividly" massage something.

ESL mistake two: ”You’re beautiful when you’re confused”, Ms. Tyler said. Which, she added mentally, is mostly. Should be "is most of the time". 'Mostly' implies degree, not frequency.

Why are you putting quotes in italics? You should make this whole thing in third-person and focused on Ms. Tyler. This would establish early on that everything is from her viewpoint so that you don't have to say stuff like, "she added mentally".

quote:

He’s adorable, she thought while explaining to him again what she’d learned last week after the Mambo class, sharing a glass of gin with Komaki Weizbaum.

This paragraph doesn't work because it is acting as a very rickety bridge between the thought about Joseph being confused and what the next paragraph is going to describe. It doesn't connect well enough to the former and feels extraneous.

The next paragraph should begin with "Komaki Weizbaum was a second generation..." You cannot start a paragraph like this with "she" because it's not clear enough who you are talking about. I realize your previous paragraph ended with her name, but again that paragraph was extraneous and added more problems than it solved. Start the paragraph off with 'Komaki' and make sure it's not redundant or repeating her name too much from the paragraph above. Komaki is a Japanese name, not Korean, so that confused me also.

We have a rickety bridge followed by two paragraphs of info dumping/exposition. The paragraph I just critiqued above was your Komaki Weizbaum info dump, then the next paragraph is the info dump about the robbery (which never actually happens!) You want to figure out what information from these two paragraphs of exposition are vital to the plot and try to work them into the action. With a close third-person point of view from Ms. Tyler's perspective, she can reveal some of this exposition through dialogue to Joseph. But ideally you show as much as possible through things Ms. Tyler and Joseph do.

You spent so many words on the info dumping and the dancing that you didn't have enough left for the robbery.

After the exposition paragraphs we are taken back to Tyler and Joseph talking. "moving in" when talking about a house made me think they literally were going to move in. You should phrase this so that no one thinks of that connotation. I thought this was some zany scheme where they would move in and gain ownership through a legal loophole or something.

I never knew this until I got "burglarized," by the way, but if you break into someone's house and steal stuff, it's "burglary" not "robbing". The police officer corrected me every time I said "robbed" or "robber," so it seems like a big distinction to law enforcement.

ESL Error: as if he was lacking the imagination of himself as a rich guy. "imagination" is a person's SENSE of imagination, not a specific thing that they imagine. You can "imagine" something specific. As if he couldn't imagine himself as a rich guy.

The last paragraph has some subject-verb agreement issues, but the biggest problem is that nothing has happened in this story. I know you said it's a "snippet," but you shouldn't write a snippet, you should write a stand-alone piece or you should write a longer thing and then post a snippet. It's very important to practice writing a compelling story; prose, voice, imagery, and all that stuff will fall in line, but if you don't have a plot you have nothing.

Biggest mistake you made: You put your inciting incident almost near the middle of your story, and then nothing happened.

I would actually recommend that you go to the Thunderdome and try to write flash fiction. Practice making compelling narratives and plots. I like the humor and voice that you put into this, but this couldn't have been good without an actual plot.

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 23, 2013

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Cingulate posted:

Systran, I'm really sorry I didn't make this more clear before. This wasn't supposed to be Flash Fiction, but a Snippet. I just wanted to know if I should keep on writing what I want to turn into a short story of a few thousand words, or if I should stop trying to write in English.

Thank you for the comments either way, there's plenty of helpful stuff in there.

Edit: seriously ... I can see how it would be amazingly lame if read as a one-shot where you expect some form of payback at the end.

Edit 2: I'd like to keep working on the tone and language first before I continue with the rest of the story. Can I just put it in here again, as the first few paragraphs of what should become a short story, when I've worked on everything you've mentioned?

Yeah if you want to put in the beginning of the short story or post a snippet that has a more clear arc it should be fine.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I may read and crit this later, but for future reference everyone: please make sure that the formatting of what you post looks godd in an SA window. If you c/p it from wordpad or something it's going to look like a mess. Either give us a google docs link or format it before you submit. I don't know if this bothers anyone else but it just kills me trying to read stuff with no white space.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Here is some stuff I recommend two things that are generally considered good but not weighed down with literary depth (and these are all GENRE, which are usually looked down on to an extent):

Orson Scott Card - Ender's Game (HIGHLY CONTROVERSIAL because the author is a piece of poo poo. Honestly though the book is a very fun read. This is relatively short too, and it's "young adult" so it's a fast read.

Joe Abercrombie - Look him up and find his trilogy or go to the SA thread I loving hate this author and all of his work, but 95% of people seem to love this dude. His books read like a videogame to me, which is one reason I hated them, but I think it will be a good transition for you. His books are very battle heavy, and the characterization is over the top, but it appeals to a lot of people.

John Scalzi - Old Man's War. This guy wins a lot of awards, and people are mad about that, but Old Man's War has a lot of action while still making some decent statements about war and how pointless it is.

Short story and Novellas are a good alternative to longer novels. You can read them for fun without feeling bogged down by hundreds of pages.

Anything by Ted Chiang, but particularly Stories of your Life and Others and the novella The Lifecycle of Software Objects Chiang is a lot more "literary," but I find all of his short stories absolutely amazing. In over ten years, his whole body of work is so small that you can read it all in a day. He only writes when he has an amazing idea that he finds worthy of writing.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Well, to stem the derail, I specifically said that Ender's Game is worth reading despite whatever controversy there may be surrounding him.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Work on your basic English stuff, like capitalizing the pronoun 'I'.

I didn't think I was going to like the story but it ended up being fairly funny. You shift tenses a few times, for example: "Ok, This is it." (and again, why is 'This' capitalized?)

The biggest issue with the story is that the "First Date" story turns into him remembering something that happened in shop class, and it ends during that memory. I'm guessing the story isn't over? Try to finish it next time you write, and wrap up the date. Make sure this dude that threw the thing at him causes conflict etc.

Overall I enjoyed it though.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

If you post something in SA, DO NOT manually break the lines. You have to just keep typing and let it wrap on its own. Better yet, put it in a google doc.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

EDIT: Wrong thread, sorry!

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 14, 2014

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Elfdude, I am critting it but I might fall asleep and not finish:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ejy7C2alDZg6MjPJW6tDfzWvIvQp25pYb0Un0ZPX3P0/edit?usp=sharing

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

This isn't the kind of thing I usually read, but it seemed pretty good to me. Even though it's just two people sitting there talking, I still felt like reading it to the end. The little details like the pink notes and imagining the calm bomber being a crazy bomber worked for me. I didn't get too much characterization out of the cop guy though.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

As far as my crit of Fire Girl:

I was critting on how it read as is. I think it had some deep structural problems, and my advice to "cut the extra character and cut the 'police report'" was made in the context of "If you cut these out, you have room to flesh out other stuff," but you still have to choose wisely what you will flesh out instead.

It feels a bit like you can't decide if you want the story to focus on Phoebe or on the parents, and it suffers for that. I think it would be better to have it completely from Phoebe's perspective, and you could even show her reactions to "I have two fathers, oh my!" since she is from a different, older generation than them. That's a kind of cool premise you have, but all we see from Phoebe's eight lifetimes is that she does well in school. Show us snippets throughout her life, show us cool details. Is she only able to process all her old memories when she hits like three or four years old, or can she--unlike other one-day old infants--see and process and understand everything? If it's the latter, you could show her confusion in these two men who live together and act like a man and woman are taking care of her, then show how it changes her feelings toward these kinds of relationships, and show how it improves her as a person while simultaneously giving us an idea of what great parents these guys are and how much they love her.

Sorry if my crits were confusing, but the "cut this," and "cut this" or "this reads boring" type advice is just trying to help you show you a prose-level idea of what is working and what is not; the line-by-lines are not really a suggestion to just cut or change what I mark in a line-by-line, and then your story is good. It should give you an idea of what themes or ideas you did well, then by cutting certain things you gain more room to add other ideas. In this story I think you have a nice idea, but you need to fix the focus and immediacy of it for it to have emotional weight. Do everything you can to show the relationship between these three people rather than all the mundane details of the fire, the factoids about how well she does in school, etc.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I don't feel like reading this whole thing, thinking a bunch about it, and formulating a crit so I'm just going to type reactions as I read.

Helsing posted:

So I was hoping I could get some more feedback on my latest thunderdome entry. I should preface this by noting that every single time I've entered thunderdome I've struggled to varying degrees with the word length. For whatever reason I'm just not that good at coming up with stories that fit into 1,000 - 1,500 words. Time and again I end up producing stories that are clearly supposed to be longer, which leads to arbitrary cuts. This story is definitely no exception. I'd like to think it has some potential but it very clearly would need to be expanded.

----------------

Bioethics

1,190 words

Writing the e-mail was the easy part. Two sentences, sent from a freshly registered gmail account.

I know who sent you the e-mail, and I’m not sure if they were serious or not. His name is Greg Brentano.

Hitting send was harder.

You get points for at least trying to do a hook, but having the first part on its own like this in three sentence-long paragraphs reads too much as, "Gonna make the reader be all like "WHAAAA?" Confusing tense shifts here too.

###

Whenever he got angry, which happened a lot, Greg would leap off of his bed and pace around the room like a caged animal. His skin would flush and he’d breathe heavily, as though being angry required physical exertion.

A month before the e-mail I’d been hanging out with Greg in his dorm room, watching him work through his latest set of frustrations.

“It’s so loving stupid,” he said. “We’ve been digging this hole for fifty loving years and her solution? Dig faster.”

“It’s a four page assignment,” I said as I set down my Xbox controller.

“It’s a mandatory class! I’m trying to get into med school and they’re making me jump through hoops for some craggy old oval office from the philosophy department.”

“Yeah, well, it is a bioethics class.”

Greg gave me the kind of look you’d normally reserve for a kid who shits themselves after they’re supposed to be toilet trained.

“That’s the point I’m trying to make. What the hell does some burned out old hippy slut know about ethics?” laying it on a little hard here His breathing was a bit more even now, the flush was leaving his cheeks. Greg loved being angry, but not as much as he loved to hear himself talk. “Do you know what ethics is?”

“Yeah. Doing the right thing.”

“Conduct. Ethics is about conduct. It’s supposed to be about how you behave yourself, you know? It’s about values.”

I've lost track of who is saying what because they both just sound like the writer talking through both characters (and also no dialogue tags).

“Sure.”

“And the essence of all that is self control. Restraint. Being able to mold yourself into the kind of person society needs you to be.”

“Yeah,” I said, nodding. He was calming down, at least.

“So do you see how that’s a contradiction? To be advocating abortion on demand in a loving ethics class?”

“It’s a little bit off.”

“It’s hosed is what it is,” he said, flopping back onto his bed. “It’s bad enough living in this worthless country, they want us praise what a good job they’re doing while they rape the corpse of Western civilization.”

“You’re being a bit dramatic here don’t you think?”

why am i supposed to care about this conversation?

“Why do you think China builds all our poo poo now, holds all our debt? You think they hand out condoms in Chinese schools and tell their women to open their legs for every jock rear end in a top hat they can find?Actually many Chinese use abortion almost like birth control and there is like no stigma against it at all in the PRC The Asians get it man. They reward hard work and discipline. They don’t let their kids gently caress around. And you know what really kills me? That used to be us. Fifty years ago? We’d probably be married already, and to real woman, not skanky whores. Women who could appreciate us and support us while we try to rebuild this shithole goonspeak country.”

That was the thing about Greg. It might start with the unfairness of life or the downfall of civilization, but it always ended up at sex. Especially the sex everyone around us seemed to be having.

You're trying to do a PUA/fedora/Roger Elliot character, but it's still reading like such a caricature. Your protag is just a floating voice and narrator at this point that gives Greg a chance to say his stuff. It's super hard to write this kind of character in an interesting way because it's usually just such a cliche. You aren't showing us Greg do anything and letting us infer he has these views, which still might not even be interesting, instead you're just having him say all the nice guy talking points. Unfortunately there is nothing interesting about reading this.

“Like, take that oval office Sarah,” Greg continued. “You’re smart, you’re driven. Five years from now you’ll be pulling six figures. But you don’t look like Brad Pitt, so she strings you along for one date and doesn’t call you back. What do you think happens to a civilization where the best and brightest get continually poo poo on like that?”

I gave him a nod that I hoped was agreeable, and picked my controller back up.

###

The first time I met Greg my vision was too blurry to properly make out his face. That had been eight years ago, and Matt Lisac, the terror of seventh grade gym class, had just finished making an example of me. Afterwards Greg was the only guy brave or stupid enough to come and help me look for the busted frame of my glasses.

“Looks like he got you pretty good,” Greg said after helped me to my feet.

“He hit me,” I mumbled, still shocked. I’d never exactly been popular, but at my old school you never got punched for saying somebody had bad acne.

“You shouldn’t have provoked him. Especially not when Jessica is around.”

“Who?”

“That blonde who was laughing. They’re all bad but she’s the worst. Matt shows off for her.”

He looked me over. “This is the poo poo you’ll need to know if you don’t wanna get your lights knocked out. I’m Greg, by the way.”

“Alex.”

“You like Nintendo, Alex?”

The origin story of how Greg got his MRA powers. This is kind of okay and at least shows Greg as having sympathetic qualities.

###

Greg recognized me first. It had been five years since the end of eighth grade and the time had not been kind to him. It was the same voice, though, and the same nervous, twitchy hands.

I’d already been in and out of my dorm room by then. I’d already seen the name Greg Brenanto on the door across from mine. Somehow that connection had escaped me. I hadn’t seen Greg since Eight Grade.

I had promised myself that my arrival at college would be the start of a new era. The moment I saw Greg bounding across the quad to greet me a part of that ambition died.

I like this.

“Thank God for small mercies,” he said, a few weeks later. We were hunched in front of the plasma screen in his room, discussing the immensity of the coincidence that had thrown us back together, doing our best to ignore the pounding music and drunken shouts emanating from the common room down the hall. “I’d go crazy if you weren’t here.”

“Is this what you thought it’d be like?” I asked him. “College, I mean.”

“You mean the noise, the skanks, the in-your-face feminazi bullshit?” He didn’t wait for my response. “Pretty much, yeah. My high school was the same way. Whole fuckin country is like this now.”

###

“You can always appeal the grade.”

“Appeal? I should sue the bitch.” Greg was fuming. A week ago he’d been telling me how his bioethics paper was going to make waves. He hadn’t considered what that meant for his GPA.

“That’s a bad idea.”

“I know man, I know. It just gets to me. I spend my whole livelife slaving away to be a productive member of society. I don’t drink, I don’t chase shanks, I don’t do loving drugs. What’s my reward? A loving woman telling me I’m not good enough because I challenged her world-view.”

Too much on the nose poo poo again. Like WE KNOW what Greg would say or how he'd act in any situation. At this point you need to show us him doing something and the only really interesting angle is how the protag cringes/reacts to Greg being ridiculous. Just hearing the dialogue in the white room, with the protag basically just saying filler or setting Greg's next line up isn't interesting to read.

“You could take a summer course to pull up your average.” I said.

“No. I’m done being Mr. Nice Guy.”

“Meaning?”

“I'm going to communicate through the only language someone like her understands. Here, look.” He gestured toward his computer.

I stopped reading halfway through.

“Is this a joke?”

“Liberals don’t know much, but they know how to be afraid. Nothing frightens a hedonist more than death.”

“They’ll expel you.”

“She won’t know who sent it. In fact, she won’t even report it. She’ll give everyone passing grades just like I told her to. She won’t risk finding out if I’m serious.”

“No,” I told him. “If you send this, they’ll find you, and they’ll expel you.”

This doesn't read like an ending at all. It doesn't actually resolve anything. Your protag doesn't do anything all story. The only time I felt any connection to anything was the protag's feeling when he wanted a fresh start and was stuck with Greg as his roommate who he hadn't seen in years. Make stuff happen when you write stories; don't just have two people talking in a white (dorm)room about what happened previously and what will happen later.

----------------

Obliterati gave me some helpful criticism in the Thunderdome thread but suggested I post this here as well.

In the original version of this story I wanted to introduce several plot points that don't make it into the final draft. We would have had several more flashbacks to Alex and Greg's time together in middle school. I would have spent more time describing them being terrorized by bullies. I was also toying with the idea that they pulled some kind of stupid prank such as pulling the fire alarm, and that Greg ultimately took the full blame for what happened, which would perhaps set up why Alex feels conflicted about betraying him. I was also thinking of introducing a female romantic interest for Alex - someone who would have helped steer him away from Greg's influence, ultimately setting up his decision to report his friend.

In particular though I'd be interested for feedback on Greg's character. I had to write this story pretty quickly and now that I'm rereading it I have to admit its got about as much subtly as a sledge hammer to the face. Did the characterizations here work? Did the characters, and Greg specifically, feel plausible? This character is largely based on real internet rants that I've seen on certain MRA and Incel forums, but rereading the story sometimes his speeches seem a little heavy handed.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I stopped reading here

quote:

An odd
exception to this trend were stores operated by a corporation then known
as “Apple”. It is believed that a certain demographic during that time period
known as “hipsters” would actively defend this brand with great vigour.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Is this what twitter is all about?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

https://twitter.com/webtwopointoh

Here is my twitter. It features vines of my dog doing cute stuff...microfiction if you will. Please help me to improve my craft by leaving crits.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

You repeat 'Dan' so many times even though he is the main character. You should use 'he' for Dan in most cases, and 'Jim' for the few times that 'he' won't refer to Dan.

Your prose is pretty rough, and the flourishes you put in don't really mesh and feel fairly forced (like the Inuit statue or the coffee stirring stick). These aren't actually BAD, it's just that they don't flow with the rest of the prose and end up too noticeable for my taste. They also aren't good enough on their own merits to justify the wordcount they take up in such a short piece. The Inuit statue one is almost there, the Horton's one isn't. "Like that of a prowling cat" might be okay as an image, but the extraneous words "like that of a" are bad and can serve here as a concrete example of "your prose is pretty rough."

Cut out the first three paragraphs, these are all "tell," before your "show." Don't tell us about Dan in some kind of prologue; it's boring to read. Just show the situation (which could be interesting) and show us how this experience changes him from not "being a dad person" to having a new feeling toward being a dad, or whatever it is you want the point of this to be.

The prologue forced you to add more awkwardness to your prose e.g.

quote:

Dan’s brown hair now had plumes of grey, his previously defined face now soft and faded as if...

Each instance of "now" jolts the reader around and confuses them since we don't know where in time we are. I don't know when this is taking place until Jim’s crying brought Dan back to the present. anchors me into the actual moment, but this is a very weak effect and you've started out what should be a tense situation with plodding tell and vague setting.

The section of him trying to create enough initial momentum for Jim to be able to pull him forward worked okay enough. I was able to imagine that and just read through it without getting confused or feeling anything was sticking out too hard. You probably want to keep your style more simple and focus on telling a linear narrative with few flourishes. Once you are comfortable with that you can try experimenting more.

quote:

Adrenaline and desperation hasshould be HAVE allowed many people to surmount terrifying obstacles.

This is really bad because it reads like a trite and cliche statement (it is), but the biggest problem is how this sentence drains any semblance of immediacy from the story. You want to put us in Dan's head, not be a floating camera explaining what you see. General statements tenuously connected to implied action make the narrative barely focused on what is happening when it should be living inside Dan's brain and feeding us all of his thoughts and senses.

The concept you have is okay and it's cool to see something like this as opposed to a badass assassin or some goony story that is trying to be funny and isn't, but keep practicing ~YOUR CRAFT~ and you'll likely improve pretty quickly.

Other general unorganized advice:

-Scan your writing a few times over for repeated phrases or words. I've pointed out the "now" repetition, but there is some repetition of "struggling" I just noticed as well. These are often things that either stick out as bad repetition, or people will subconsciously notice it and think of it as bad flow/prose/rhythm etc.

-When you DO decide to do some imagery and get fancy, if at all possible it's usually better to aim for "Jim's groans became soft purrs" (this isn't good either but you get what I mean) as opposed to "His groaning sounds were soft, like that of a purring cat." You want to eliminate as many of those function words as possible and just cut to the imagery. Whenever possible it's also good to try for IS or ARE when doing imagery: Jim was a cat on the prowl. This creates a stronger mental image just by using "to be," a very invisible verb, and then cutting straight into the imagery.

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 24, 2014

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

It's so wordy and weird, and it's obvious you are ESL with some of the really awkward phrasing. "To participate in evil" used in two consecutive sentences; that phrasing is bad enough it should never be used even a single time.

It isn't really a hook at all. It needs to be way shorter and succinct, maybe five sentences max. Here is an example of how you could condense it:

quote:

Its the winter of 320, in another world and time.
A crisis has begun in the demilitarized zone of the mountains of the Eastern Oroi.

The 2nd Tagma Αgermon is a proxy military company whose job is to block entrances to the abandoned underground complex located beneath the Eastern Oroi. Yet on that winter they received intel that a single Anthropos, a legendary creature which they fear immensely, has been spotted wandering the mountains of the Eastern Oroi.

The commander of the company, Polytechnous, finds himself in a dilemma, as his forces are not enough to intercept this threat nor is he authorised to tell them what lies beneath the underground complex. Fearing that the Anthropos may enter the underground complex, he resorts to requesting his City State for specialized units to help.

It is with this situation that an old gryphon such as Phonithia finds herself arming to go to battle. Forty-Four-Years old, a veteran of three wars and bearer of two sons, ever since she left the army, ever since she lost her morality and her ethics, she has been trying to nullify the indifferent world. At first, she thought, that she could distinguish between good and evil by caring about the mortal world. By choosing to associate with other individuals, she makes the decision to care about their own struggle over the indifferent world,.

Condense to: When Phonithia, a veteran of the SOMETHING SOMETHING, is called out of retirement to fight the (CHOOSE A GOOD ADJECTIVE) Anthropos,

quote:

The problem though is that in doing so, she opened herself to watching it all get blown away. She quickly realized that in killing others she had advertently participated in evil, because those dead enemy soldiers were not without parents, friends, or lovers. She had participated in evil, since she had broken the link between those people, she had hurt the caring of others, the same caring she had taken up herself. But she wondered, how was good and evil injected into this world, and more importantly, who cares of it. Everybody dies after all, but not everybody cares.

Thus, now with the crisis in her eyes, she is picking up arms again to reunite with a group of veterans, friends, lovers and partners, for one final military operation at the Eastern Oroi, hoping to finally conquer her anguish and to understand what brought her into the state of caring about good when she was by all means evil.

Condense to: , she and her old friends must leave the City States (you could put something really short in here about leaving the complications of civilian life after having killed people with families etc., but make it like part of one sentence) to fight one last time.

Then add in like one sentence that starts with "but," and put in the actual conflict that arises from the INCITING INCIDENT, which is the protagonist being called back to fight this thing. You can't make the conflict the thing that was happening while she was wallowing in the city, because that part is ending already and the actual conflict of the story is beginning once she is called to fight this thing. The way you've written your synopsis is making it like the main thrust of the conflict is this gryphon drinking and loving in the city while wallowing around about having killed people and not knowing if she should connect with people. From what I can gather this is not actually the story, it's the background, and you don't want to load your synopsis that should be a hook with boring background poo poo that won't even be part of the main plot. I'm guessing you will do flashbacks and poo poo, but that doesn't invalidate what I'm saying.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Yeah this is like "new writer's trap: the paragraph" here

quote:

Ned began to write. Simply at first, short chapters which would speak to the friends and family whom would read it after his passing. Then, as his time grew shorter, the chapters grew longer and spoke more truth. Triumphant were the words, inspirational was the imagery, and motivating was the advice. When his will was read, and the books delivered, his family, moved to tears, deigned to live by the words he had written. HOLY loving poo poo

BTW whom is used wrong here, since it's the subject of the relative clause!

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Also, do not use an apostrophe on a plural unless it's possessive.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

not true, in zeir and it's love, i made 'it's' the preferred possessive pronoun for Spire-Kiv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Constance was my favorite character

• Locked thread