Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaston Bachelard
Mar 26, 2009

When the image is new, the world is new.

big business sloth posted:

I think whether or not the message comes from the phone or the flash comes FROM the phone is fairly irrelevant in conveying the feeling of this poem. At least, I was perfectly aware of what was going on either way. For me, it was "...realized your job in life." The phrase "job in life" is very stilted. Hey man, what's your job in life?

What happens after that, I'm not sure. I guess I'd have to break it down for myself: The speaker sees an incoming call on his phone, from an unknown number. He's hoping that some second person (the caller, but why would someone he knows come up as unknown?) has "realized their job in life." But when he answers the phone, it isn't who he assumes it to be, it's actually a stranger.

I might be ousting myself as a luddite here, but I don't really get what the significance of the unexpected outcome of this poem is. It's a joke I don't get.

I'm curious as to what "room for danger or disaster" or being "too sure of itself" would be in your critique, too. Maybe that's just my fault for not knowing, but I can't identify the problem or come up with a solution to a critique like that.

The thing is though, I like the humble, quick nature of the poem, and I really want to see what comes of it.

Oh those are infuriating comments, and I know that.

I have this idea that it's way more helpful to identify problems and questions with the NEXT poem in mind, rather than trying to suggest a fix of some kind.* I like to think that working forward with comments taken or sidelined leads to more discovery in further writing and, often, better work.

I get that some people work one piece at a time and work to solve that piece, as much as it can be anyway, but that isn't my style of feedback and I should be more clear about that.

So one of the things I find most exciting to ask myself and poets who ask me for feedback is: what about this feels like it's risking or challenging something (best of all, its own utterance or observation)? That's what I mean by danger and disaster. I believe that there are ways to heighten the dramatic and structural action of a poem that give it a kinetic feel.

Popeahuntis's poem felt like it flatlined when it wanted to spike... to me at least. In this way, bbs, I also feel excluded from entering the resolved poem (if I'm understanding you) but not because of lack of clarity, but a bizarre lack of energy. Given the narrative situation, I think that there's opportunity to make some turns, even if they're false ones (maybe the speaker picks up on this, maybe s/he doesn't) and explore some thinking-territory rather than snapping to conclusion so quickly.

Yeah the from/on thing is a baby nit. Clarity was never the issue. It did distract my reading, tho, so whether or not that matters is up to the poet I guess :)

*I will betray this idea again and again however

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I see what you mean. I work a lot different, I guess, I write do very slowly and tend to make every poem a project as they come along, and artists who instead just say, "poo poo, that one was lacking, I'll make the next one better!" both amaze and infuriate me, because that's just something I can't do easily. Everything has something to be salvaged!

I'll try to keep this moving with this--

Every day
that I knew
my father
he wore a beard.
I did not know him
without it.
He still kept his
safety razor
on a shelf
in his bathroom,
but it was last used
(judging from
family albums)
around the time I was born.

So, when I turned eighteen
I was on my own
to interpret
the Gillette
five-blade sent to me
in the mail,
and my technique
has been
stunted
ever since,
and I am
reminded
of this
each morning
as the white
tissue paper
badges
I wear on my face
turn red.

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.
There's no way I could leave a poem without fixing it. I told a friend that poetry is reduction to the essence, then building up again if needed with the core direction in mind. Even the stuff I post here has gone through 40-50 revisions minimum.

big business sloth posted:

I see what you mean. I work a lot different, I guess, I write do very slowly and tend to make every poem a project as they come along, and artists who instead just say, "poo poo, that one was lacking, I'll make the next one better!" both amaze and infuriate me, because that's just something I can't do easily. Everything has something to be salvaged!

I'll try to keep this moving with this--

Every day - These lines seem superfluous.
that I knew
my father
he wore a beard. -I'm still unsure about 'wore.' It implies taking something off or a disguise. The point is more that your father was a beard in your eyes, although that might not be the way to phrase it due to beard as a euphemism.
I did not know him
without it.
He still kept his -The subjects seem pretty straightforward, so the pronouns seem to dilute the cadence.
safety razor
on a shelf
in his bathroom, -Him, his, his. I'd almost use 'the' instead.
but it was last used
(judging from
family albums)
around the time
I was born. -There's a wishy-washiness to 'around.' When, perhaps? Before? If you keep it, I'd perhaps stick in 'that' after time; you've got some nice rhythm with 2-3-4 syllable lines here and rounding the stanza out with 4/4/4/4 might work.

So, when I turned eighteen -You and I and most Americans will know about this tradition, but if people know, mentioning your age is irrelevant. If they don't, it gives a better sense of connection with their own experiences shaving, and most people don't wait that long.
I was on my own
to interpret
the Gillette
five-blade sent to me -We know you're the subject.
in the mail,
and my technique
has been
stunted
ever since.
and I am -Start a new sentence here.
reminded
of this
each morning
as the white
tissue paper badges -It may technically be classified under tissue paper, but it's usually either toilet paper, facial tissues, or paper towels. 'White tissue badges' sounds better than sticking wrapping material on your face.
I wear on
my face
turn red.

I like this. It's oddly playful and a glimpse into why a certain common ritual turns out the way it does.

Firecube posted:

I just wrote this now over about an hour. It's short, but I really like the imagery I evoke in it.

Black Holes

Hollow words and cavernous eyes cannot hide the contempt within
Pain so weighty, it collapses under itself
We have become starving chasms, consuming everything forever
Until beating hearts are all that remain,
Equals in both tempo and rhythm
Their constant pulse rending the silence we tried to drown them in.

I honestly have no idea what you're trying to convey here outside of "pain makes people black holes of hate" or something, which is really florid and kinda boring. There's no surprise here; there's no change in the subjects or how we're led to see them. You do a lot of 'adjective' 'noun' and your word choice could use some examining. Your cadence and line weight, for lack of a better term, is all over the place. Even in free verse, any lack of structure must support the content and must be planned out. I feel as if I could rearrange the lines of this poem and it'd make just as much sense. I want to see what you do with this piece. Even if it's just intended as a word painting, paintings convey a story.

Bag of Hamsters fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 8, 2014

Firecube
Feb 15, 2012

"What do you mean we usually just play dead? Are you telling me I've been doing this whole opossum thing wrong for 20 years??!!!"

Bag of Hamsters posted:

I honestly have no idea what you're trying to convey here outside of "pain makes people black holes of hate" or something, which is really florid and kinda boring. There's no surprise here; there's no change in the subjects or how we're led to see them. You do a lot of 'adjective' 'noun' and your word choice could use some examining. Your cadence and line weight, for lack of a better term, is all over the place. Even in free verse, any lack of structure must support the content and must be planned out. I feel as if I could rearrange the lines of this poem and it'd make just as much sense. I want to see what you do with this piece. Even if it's just intended as a word painting, paintings convey a story.

While I appreciate the criticism, and see what you are getting at, I feel I should point out that I'm far from a professional poet or even an adept one. Hell, I don't even really call my pieces poems, because as you said, poems generally have a more cohesive structure to them. I tend to write without structure in mind because I feel that it allows me more creative freedom. If I ever want to enter this in a poetry competition or something, i will definitely make this a much stronger piece of writing, but for now, it came out the way I wanted it to.

I would also like to point out that there is a story here. It may not be as transparent as I was hoping it would be, but it does exist. Think of it in terms of two people who broke up and pretend to hate each other as a result. What they don't realize is that they still care about each other, and the more they try to hide it, the more apparent it becomes. Meanwhile, they allowed these explosive emotions to affect everything but their feelings for each other. I know this is a very generic idea, but I just recently went through a break up myself and can relate to this story in a lot of ways. I actually wrote the last four lines first and, knowing it needed something more, added the first two to tie the "black hole" metaphor together.

Firecube fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 9, 2014

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
This is the poetry thread. You might not consider them poems, but you can't really blame us for making an assumption. Also "This piece sucks and I'm okay with it" is an attitude that you absolutely have to torch if you hope to improve. No sense in making mistakes if you don't learn from them.

Also, come on, don't quibble over critiques. Don't be that guy.

This is a spoken word bit I'm having trouble ending. It's written in-character:

I OPEN THE DOOR LIKE I OPEN A BEER
with a well-aimed kick
letting the sullen resentment boil up in me
and puddle on the floor
I'd say it would stain the carpet
but I don't know how you'd tell
THAT'S HOW YOU KNOW A MAN LIVES HERE
a hard man who drinks hard drinks
and has no regards for the velvet contours
of polite society
my books are used for possum hunting
and my television only gets one show:
Walker, Texas Ranger.
I keep a spare fridge in the bathroom
so I can drink when I shower
which is never
although, should the day ever come,
I have at my command a complete battalion
of MMA-endorsed bodily gels
and scalp tonics.
I shall destroy my bodily waste
like a train ploughing through a tuberculosis ward.
I will smell like sex on fire in a blizzard on a mountain
in a four wheeler blowing doughnuts on your pastor's lawn.
I WAS A MAN BEFORE IT USED TO NOT MEAN ANYTHING NO MORE.
And it still doesn't not today. AND WE KNOW WHO TO BLAME!
(I shall refrain from saying the name aloud, lest they wake)
BUT THAT IS IRRELEVANT!
I do everything the only way I know how: Excellently, and with a surplus of sexy antics
and as my roommate, you would be entitled to an equal share
in every scheme, ruse, machination and orgy that I raise here
in this veritable chateau d'if of passion
which I like to call "The Bone Dome"
unless you have a better name
one that we could write on patches
sewn into our matching best-friend vests.
I think this is the beginning of a beautiful acquaintanceship
as soon as your references write back
and your check clears.

I just don't really know where to go with it. I'm not super satisfied with the roommate thing, but I want to do something to humble the character, otherwise the act falls apart and it's just me hurling abuse at an audience of confused strangers.

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

I needs it for reasons.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I just don't really know where to go with it. I'm not super satisfied with the roommate thing, but I want to do something to humble the character, otherwise the act falls apart and it's just me hurling abuse at an audience of confused strangers.

'Acquaintanceship' is throwing me off. 'Partnership'/'relationship', perhaps? I really like this, and this bit made me laugh like hell:

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I will smell like sex on fire in a blizzard on a mountain
in a four wheeler blowing doughnuts on your pastor's lawn.

'Velvet contours' doesn't seem apropos for the first half of it, unless you intend it as a crack in the veneer. I'd change 'lest they wake' to 'lest he wake,' as I like the implication of a slumbering liberal overlord.

Also, I've never seen someone kick a beer open or kill a possum with a book [maybe a brick, but I'm from Iowa], so I don't know if that's lovely hyperbole or just phrasing muckery.

Firecube posted:

While I appreciate the criticism, and see what you are getting at, I feel I should point out that I'm far from a professional poet or even an adept one. Hell, I don't even really call my pieces poems, because as you said, poems generally have a more cohesive structure to them. I tend to write without structure in mind because I feel that it allows me more creative freedom. If I ever want to enter this in a poetry competition or something, i will definitely make this a much stronger piece of writing, but for now, it came out the way I wanted it to.

I would also like to point out that there is a story here. It may not be as transparent as I was hoping it would be, but it does exist. Think of it in terms of two people who broke up and pretend to hate each other as a result. What they don't realize is that they still care about each other, and the more they try to hide it, the more apparent it becomes. Meanwhile, they allowed these explosive emotions to affect everything but their feelings for each other. I know this is a very generic idea, but I just recently went through a break up myself and can relate to this story in a lot of ways. I actually wrote the last four lines first and, knowing it needed something more, added the first two to tie the "black hole" metaphor together.

Revision is how you become a poet, and if you have to explain a piece to an audience of peers, you need to revise. Revision doesn't mean your idea was poo poo; it means nothing is born perfect. The only successful writer, much less poet, that I've heard to never revise anything is Tom Robbins, but he'll spend all day on one sentence if he has to.

Dave Sim, as much as he's a terrible loving human being, said something that has always stuck with me, that you have 2000 bad pages in you and then you can start doing the good stuff. "Why write if all my stuff is going to suck then?" Because every piece you knock off that total gets you closer to being awesome. Keep writing.

James Hardon
May 31, 2006

Popeahuntis posted:

I haven't written in ages.

Keep it that way.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Sadie

code:
You sneeze and snuffle, tongue
lolling; a yard of bubblegum
from your slack, speckled lips.

Sadie-taters, buckskin
coat and red-rubber nose: I know
what you want.

Not a certificate of pedigree;
that ship sailed when Pepe Bojangles--
that bug-eyed Chihuahuan son-of-a-bitch--

leapt from the porch to mount
your pit-bull mother, yipping
and nipping and pumping frantically.

Not food, nor drink, nor even
the garden hose blasting your gumline
free of plaque as you charge it, gargling.

Not the sofa cushion you drag
down and stretch across;
a Pasha’s concubine, instead

of the carrot-brained offspring
of a Mexican rat-monkey
and a steel-jawed wall of brawn.

No: You want BALL.
I hurl the well-gnawed Wilson
down the stairwell.  You burst past,

wait for the bounce, then strike—-
a slobbering mongoose
to a spherical cobra.

You coil and bound back up, all rippling
speed and sinew, to drop the prize at my feet.
That look of expectant gratitude melts me, yet

I must confess: This game is designed
to wear you out long enough
for me to have sex with my girlfriend

on the living-room floor
without you creeping
up and sneezing on my taint
                            —-again.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Uncertainty

Sweat beads on my forehead.
A nervous chill sweeps over me
as I hold my final hand.

So much has led to this moment.
I ponder all the routes
I could have taken
would have taken
SHOULD have taken.

In my mind's eye
I see a dozen me's
looking upon my cards.
Some scorn, some envy
some laugh, some regret.

It is no matter now.
The broken light buzzes,
it brings me into focus.
I can not see the path
if I let the noise
of second thoughts
obscure me to reality.

Finally I can have answers
I know the pieces are in place.
They must be!
So much has led to this moment...

I put the cards down.
I breathe a sigh of relief.

Now that I have beat the game,
they lead me down a dark hallway.
Many have tried to cheat,
to force the odds in their favor.
They lie face down.

I swore I saw a familiar shape.
I shudder violently.
Nothing.

There is a brightly lit stage.
I can hear whispering.
Shuffling.
A spirit of quiet excitement.
The stage is set, each plays a part.

Begin.
Everything is in perfect rhythm now.
What was once hidden to me I now see.
I can feel jubilation swelling in my heart.
Would I have ever dreamt this?
Could I have imagined this?

The bad notes
the missed cues
stepped on feet
if they happen
they mean little.
It's all coming together.
I wish I could have told-
no, no.

It felt like I had danced for years.
The final act is over, the curtains close.
I fall to the ground, complete.
I thought I heard applause.
I close my eyes, weary.

Now I see something in the darkness.
It looks at me with piercing eyes.
Everything it needs to know
it sees without a word.
I ask it, what are you to do to me?
I am only a man.

A blinding light engulfs me.
I, I...

Sweat beads on my forehead.
A nervous chill sweeps over me
as I hold my last hand.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 13, 2014

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

I needs it for reasons.

budgieinspector posted:

Sadie

code:
You sneeze and snuffle, tongue
lolling; a yard of bubblegum
from your slack, speckled lips.

Sadie-taters, buckskin
coat and red-rubber nose: I know
what you want.

Not a certificate of pedigree;
that ship sailed when Pepe Bojangles--
that bug-eyed Chihuahuan son-of-a-bitch--

leapt from the porch to mount
your pit-bull mother, yipping
and nipping and pumping frantically.

Not food, nor drink, nor even
the garden hose blasting your gumline
free of plaque as you charge it, gargling.

Not the sofa cushion you drag
down and stretch across;
a Pasha’s concubine, instead

of the carrot-brained offspring
of a Mexican rat-monkey
and a steel-jawed wall of brawn.

No: You want BALL.
I hurl the well-gnawed Wilson
down the stairwell.  You burst past,

wait for the bounce, then strike—-
a slobbering mongoose
to a spherical cobra.

You coil and bound back up, all rippling
speed and sinew, to drop the prize at my feet.
That look of expectant gratitude melts me, yet

I must confess: This game is designed
to wear you out long enough
for me to have sex with my girlfriend

on the living-room floor
without you creeping
up and sneezing on my taint
                            —-again.

Ahahahaha, oh god I loved this. Initially, I tripped on 'spherical cobra' - something about the adjective doesn't seem to scan, but the imagery of a fat, bouncy snake makes up for it, I think. I'm curious, how long did this take you?

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Bag of Hamsters posted:

I'm curious, how long did this take you?

Twenty minutes? Maybe double that, counting revisions.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

This is... a little too straightforward maybe? I feel the imagery in the poem relies too much on cliches. If I'm reading it correctly, you're working with two conceptual metaphors here: Decisions are like a (Card) Game, and Life is like a Performance. Those two metaphors don't naturally mix and it doesn't seem like you've made enough effort to get them to work together, and there's no line that jumps out as an interesting twist on either of them. I also feel the phrasing could be much more succinct, but perhaps that's a side effect of how well-trod the metaphors are.

And a specific comment since this transition bugged me:

quote:

Finally I can have answers
I know the pieces are in place.
They must be!
So much has led to this moment...

I put the cards down.
I breathe a sigh of relief.

First, "the pieces are in place" is a chess metaphor so it doesn't quite fit here. More importantly though, did you play the cards at this point? Did you fold? Did you win the game, and if so how could you know that immediately upon playing your own cards? Did we just skip completely over what should have been the climax of this section?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Promethium posted:

This is... a little too straightforward maybe? I feel the imagery in the poem relies too much on cliches. If I'm reading it correctly, you're working with two conceptual metaphors here: Decisions are like a (Card) Game, and Life is like a Performance.
The fact that I have to explain what I want to say means that I have failed with this poem, in my opinion. The point of the poem is supposed to be that 1.Yes, our decisions are a like a card game BUT 2. when our decisions come together in a plan it is like a performance. Everything is in order, nothing is out of place. Even things that may look like gaffes don't mean much in the bigger picture.

quote:

First, "the pieces are in place" is a chess metaphor so it doesn't quite fit here. More importantly though, did you play the cards at this point? Did you fold? Did you win the game, and if so how could you know that immediately upon playing your own cards? Did we just skip completely over what should have been the climax of this section?
"The pieces are in place" is supposed to convey the idea that there was a plan. The cards are supposed to communicate the idea that our decisions are partly strategic and partly luck; what card game is being played isn't too important for the metaphor I believe (you seem to think otherwise). The climax is in placing down the cards, and in seeing that you've won.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
The fact that you're able to compartmentalize your poem with two sentences using big broad generalizations of theme means your message was pretty uninteresting to begin with. It's obvious you're trying to establish this big metaphor (life as a card game) which is super uninteresting to inhabit when you still lack any characters, point of view, or setting.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I haven't followed CC threads until very recently so it was really interesting to read the whole discussion on sonnets earlier in the thread while trying to get over my "this is so not worth posting" feelings. This is the first verse I've tried to write in a while, and I definitely didn't start out intending to use the format but it turned into one after initial revisions:

We stroll together on chilly, leaf-strewn nights,
My father and I, down streets he used to know.
He murmurs at the old familiar glow
Of storefronts brightly laced with Christmas lights,
And, wincing, sighs that with the world so black
They are yet beautiful, and that some day,
When he has had enough, he'll walk away;
He'll never tell me, and never come back.

If I forget, like him, the ways of speech,
The time of day, the name of my hometown,
May there still shine a beam upon the beach
That in dark seas of memory I will not drown;
May you still rise as moonfire beyond reach
When all the Christmas lights are taken down.

Filigree
Jul 18, 2012

I'm probably awful because this is the first poem I've written in years, but I had to:

A man queried
why buy flowers for you
from nobody
I answered why not
they are lovely
but why, he asked
a bouquet that
will wither so fast
because nothing truly lasts

I've never considered myself a poet, but my brain just said "GET THIS OUT WRITE IT" and I don't really know dick about poetry aside from what I like reading, so I can't really crit worth a drat. I need to do some research.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Filigree posted:

A man queried
why buy flowers for you

There's something here but I think it needs to be sharper, more unexpected. You've set up a question in the first eight lines that is (if I read it correctly) answered by the speaker in the final line. The setup works fine though it should be reworked to flow better; I had a hard time understanding line 3 especially. Mainly I'm concerned that the final answer just isn't interesting enough and it could be a much better poem if you can come up with a line that the reader doesn't already see coming.

Filigree
Jul 18, 2012

Promethium posted:

There's something here but I think it needs to be sharper, more unexpected. You've set up a question in the first eight lines that is (if I read it correctly) answered by the speaker in the final line. The setup works fine though it should be reworked to flow better; I had a hard time understanding line 3 especially. Mainly I'm concerned that the final answer just isn't interesting enough and it could be a much better poem if you can come up with a line that the reader doesn't already see coming.

Thank you, as I have been looking at it longer I've felt similarly about it. It's too predictable so I'm going to work on it more.

Chafey
Jun 14, 2005
Twither twixt the telltale tuldering thithing twitter twat
till it was unlikely that I had to have not gotten shot

I pulled out of the parking lot and drove out from the side
texting tweeting typing trying traveling to telluride

Simmer smolder sunken shattered stretchers shaking shoulders
guess I had to pay attention with the phone back in the holder

My family hasn't gotten confirmation from the coroner
for fear felching festering folktales F250 fulla foreigners

Chafey fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 23, 2014

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

I needs it for reasons.

Chafey posted:

Twither twixt the telltale tuldering thithing twitter twat
till it was unlikely that I had to have not gotten shot

I pulled out of the parking lot and drove out from the side
texting tweeting typing trying traveling to telluride

Simmer smolder sunken shattered stretchers shaking shoulders
guess I had to pay attention with the phone back in the holder

My family hasn't gotten confirmation from the coroner
for fear felching festering folktales F250 fulla foreigners

This may just be me, but if you're going to rhyme, commit to it. None of this assonance bullshit. What you're going for is unusual enough that no one will probably give a gently caress about proper pluralization.

I want to say this piece is done, but there's something not quite right about it.

Da Capo

we will never share
a beat and yet
your ghost continues clapping
my half-skip steps hard clip the concrete, try
through distance, spiteful gagging
to spit this rhythm
pulsing, peeping
laid when your name lights the screen
buried in aortal muscle and
every note i hear while sleeping,
when i sing, my throat is lined
with phantom conversations while
[the pianist insists and smiles]
my vibrato purrs the same

i don't know how
the woman says
to leave what never came

Bag of Hamsters fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 23, 2014

Chafey
Jun 14, 2005

Bag of Hamsters posted:

This may just be me, but if you're going to rhyme, commit to it. None of this assonance bullshit. What you're going for is unusual enough that no one will probably give a gently caress about proper pluralization.

Which is the most egregious assonance? I thought you meant coroner / foreigners but to me shoulders is a less important pluralization...
edit: oh oh oh are you talking about attention / confirmation?

as for my input on De Capo: it seems like knowing the title of your poem is instrumental to understanding the conflict. Why did you choose brackets for a particular line? I've got no formal musician experience so I feel like there are references I'm missing.

Chafey fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 23, 2014

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Bag of Hamsters posted:

I want to say this piece is done, but there's something not quite right about it.

Da Capo

we will never share
a beat and yet
your ghost continues clapping
my half-skip steps hard clip the concrete, try
through distance, spiteful gagging
to spit this rhythm
pulsing, peeping
laid when your name lights the screen
buried in aortal muscle and
every note i hear while sleeping,
when i sing, my throat is lined
with phantom conversations while
[the pianist insists and smiles]
my vibrato purrs the same

i don't know how
the woman says
to leave what never came

I like this. I think I see what you mean about it being unfinished, "When i sing," feels a little jarring but I can't express why?

JonasSalk
May 27, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
This is something I wrote in the midst of junkie funk.

The Last Ballad Of Rico Tubbs
The whole town gathered round to watch
On the day they heard Rico Tubbs would get got
The story goes, the story goes
Rico, that man of right
Crushed under the maw of order
Crushed by that system that takes a man and buries him
Deep, deep, deep down under the skin of a pig

Rico Tubbs thought he'd left vice behind him
Under the heat of the Miami sun
Rico Tubbs thought he'd finally left it all
That stupid man had even left his gun

Fool men--tool men
Sent to splatter the brains of a scarecrow
Stupid men with sticks of lead where intestines once rested
Nobody knows the trouble they've seen
The sorrow they've left in their wake
Baked under the misty rays of lying sunlight
Their hearts, like little pieces of tin, splintered once held too tight
These are the men that came for Rico

Rico, Rico, Rico
The call was put out
Rico, Rico, Rico
We're thirsty
Only blood shall drench this drought

Rico heard the call and prepared to run
For he was an old man
No force behind him--at his side: no gun
So he ran and he ran and he ran
Like rivers of cold blood
And then he met the ocean

Rico; stay still
Rico; easy kill
Rico; life will
Rico; bullets drill

Rico's dead
Those bastards done freed a cop.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
drought song

come you gentle
blessed rains, come
to our weary, broken land, come
wake the fossils, damp the smog, come
sift a sieve through dirt and sand to find
the hearth where humans glow
the tender bud of springtime
yet that’s hid beneath our barren plains
a light so many have not met

Haven't written more than a scrap of poetry since I took a class a couple years ago but I found this accumulating in my head, so here it is. I'm vaguely aware of issues in it but it's also pretty fresh to me.

Bag of Hamsters posted:

Da Capo

I feel like this needs to be either slightly shorter or slightly longer. You've got this chaotic jumble of syllables that refuse to adhere to any kind of sensible meter, which I like (though I wish you'd either cut out connecting words like "to" in "to spit this rhythm" or try to make that section more coherent as a whole) but then you end with this sort of chunky couplet that throws everything off.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I was told I could post non-original poetry here, so have a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdfGUM0BTLc

Just about the only good thing to come out of my reading of The Thorn Birds, it took me a couple of listens to get used to, but it's really grown on me and worked it's way into my music-rotation now. Enjoy!

Corporal Beefheart
Feb 5, 2012
Here's a little something I wrote after rereading The Narrative of Fredrick Douglass. Is it worth revising?

Fredrick Douglass (18 lines)

Fredrick Douglass did not have the good fortune
To be born in an age where the slave trade is still immature.
No, instead Douglass was born in an age where slavery was so perfect—
So thoroughly complete at the sale and subjugation of Africans—
That escape would prove to be nearly impossible.
But Douglass overcame that,
And instead of simply beating that system on a personal level,
Douglass transcended that, and became
To those combating society’s greatest shame,
Breaking the chains,
Dismantling the galleys,
Burning the brothels.
Douglass became something greater than himself
Douglass proved that it was possible
In his journey from ignorance to understanding
And from understanding to freedom
Not only to fight injustice, but to beat it,
And not only to beat it, but destroy it.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
I have often strived to be
The better man,

But in the end I have found
That I am only pieces

Of the better men
That I wish to be.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Corporal Beefheart posted:

Here's a little something I wrote after rereading The Narrative of Fredrick Douglass. Is it worth revising?

Fredrick Douglass (18 lines)

Fredrick Douglass did not have the good fortune
To be born in an age where the slave trade is still immature.
No, instead Douglass was born in an age where slavery was so perfect—
So thoroughly complete at the sale and subjugation of Africans—
That escape would prove to be nearly impossible.
But Douglass overcame that,
And instead of simply beating that system on a personal level,
Douglass transcended that, and became
To those combating society’s greatest shame,
Breaking the chains,
Dismantling the galleys,
Burning the brothels.
Douglass became something greater than himself
Douglass proved that it was possible
In his journey from ignorance to understanding
And from understanding to freedom
Not only to fight injustice, but to beat it,
And not only to beat it, but destroy it.

Tense error in line 2, and some missing punctuation in some of the penultimate lines.

Overall it is a struggle to critique something like this. It doesn't read like poetry. More like a speech? Or a preamble to a melodramatic biography. Treating it like prose laid out line a poem, there are a lot of excessively verbose lines, and the tone aims for triumphant but hits deadpan way too often.

Example: "And instead of simply beating that system on a personal level"

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

I have often strived to be
The better man,

But in the end I have found
That I am only pieces,

Pieces of the better men
That I once wished to be.

To be honest I don't see much wrong with the original, it's pretty cute and self-contained. I changed the tense to simple past instead of present perfect in order to make it slightly more direct/punchy. I think it lends more of a depressing kick to it, but see if you agree. I also believe it could benefit from an additional stanza between the 1st and 2nd.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
This since time

i.

"If there's another go-around perhaps
I'll be closer to Buddhahood."

She chews the beef jerky
with an insolent
contemplation.
Smoke
squeezes
through her teeth.

She's not self-ignorant.

"I wasn't a bad person, exactly, but --"

this lingering, with an almost-
ideal roundness.

"No no no, enough
of that. Enough
moralizing."
She
has
swallowed.

ii.

Then the bird flies
south
for the winter.

This since time

immemorial.

iii.

"Okay I was a painter.
Not a very good one.
If I had studied physics,
I would have ended up the same."

Page 99: a diagram
of a dog, its musculature.

"I read a lot, I read a lot.
The westerns were my favorite.
They come in,
they mess something up,
they fix it maybe,
then they're gone."

Another and another and another

burning down and filling up
the ashtray.
The books loom.

Plastic goes in the receptacle.

"Your last will and testament
he says. I told him
go gently caress yourself.

"You can imagine
how he took that.

"Deals with all kinds
in his line,

I guess."

iv.

In ten
or twenty years,
the grain of sand
becomes
a pearl.

A knife then

is enough.

v.

"Behold the masterwork.
A real shitkicker.
I call it Gone With the Wind.
See how the pine tree bends."

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Minimum Wage

Yesterday will be a new day
The cold will remain despite the forecasts
I will keep counting these days
Because I get paid on Thursday
And once I get paid on Thursday
I will have the means to pay almost all my bills this month
And I will still have one hundred seventeen dollars left
Which I can spend however I want.
Please note, this is empowering somehow.

Perhaps I shall get groceries,
I am almost out of milk and have
Only three eggs left in the carton.
Then again, I have but
A quarter tank of gas left
And it is only the beginning of the month
So I should make sure to set enough aside
That I can afford to go to work in the first place
I shall still have twenty seven dollars left
Which I can spend however I want
Please note, this is empowering somehow.

[I suspect this might be called out for excessive wordiness, I am trying to convey a feeling of one affecting maturity and professionalism while actually bitter. My own writing style also suffers from this wordiness and I'm not exactly sure how to break the habit.]

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Jenner posted:

Minimum Wage

The stanza split doesn't help this piece, as you're delivering the punchline too early. You can delay the reveal of what the poem is about until the end. "Which I can spend however I want" is almost a good line to end it on (but work a bit on the phrasing), you don't need to tack on the extra "empowering" line. The rest of it, as you've suggested, is too wordy, so cut until you can't cut any more.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

Jeza posted:

To be honest I don't see much wrong with the original, it's pretty cute and self-contained. I changed the tense to simple past instead of present perfect in order to make it slightly more direct/punchy. I think it lends more of a depressing kick to it, but see if you agree. I also believe it could benefit from an additional stanza between the 1st and 2nd.

Hey, thanks for the advice! It was just a little thing I wrote for a poetry class, but since I lean more towards narrative writing than poetry, I wasn't sure if it was solid or not. I appreciate your suggestions, and I'm definitely going to put them into rotation for my second draft.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Humboldt squid is gay
Neonnoodle, soundmonkey
All gay, namaste

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Lucky Mittens

The old river runs red.
The widow's tears are spent.
They say the day is done,
they're packing up the tents.
His dinner's at home on the bench,
its steam a sign of what was to come,
the smoke outside of what came in the end.
What now? She meows at her bowl,
knowing there are seconds for Mittens.
A bad day for man is a victory for kittens.
It means there's more in the kitchen,
more for old Mittens.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 2, 2014

Chafey
Jun 14, 2005
breath clouds a sleek wood floor, subdued but alive
the swelling that she has received is right below her eye
"you hosed her didn't you" yells that oval office,
anger tempered cries
the man that has just hit her has shorts tight on his thighs
and a yellow checkered flannel (with a novelty bow tie)
and sandals adorned with glitter glue
and plastic burgers and fries
his socks run up past his kneecaps, neatly ending on his thighs
his velociraptor t-shirt it says "dinos in disguise"
but on the back you can see a sweater-vested guy,
it references an anime, the plot's weird don't ask why.
the elbow pads he wears, keep his elbows alive
the motorcycle helmet is for motorcycle drive.

the end

Hypothetical Hose
Jun 6, 2010
I've never written before, nor have I posted in this thread, but I want to share this thing I wrote. Criticize away, gentle goons...

Untitled
The night winds down.
The children go to sleep.
We talk all night,
engrossed in each other's minds and hearts,
words flowing like water over a cliff.
So far apart, yet so close in every way,
longing for what makes us feel whole -
the caress of our fingertips,
our minds and bodies meshing so perfectly.
We want it to last forever,
but we both know it has to end
at least until next time.
Exchanging loving expressions via words and photographs
like we've done so often in person,
pretending it's the same but knowing it isn't,
at least not right now.
Bated breath, waiting for each little message to come in,
we stop what we're doing for what seems like an eternity,
only to quickly pour our thoughts into the little screen in our laps
and hope for quick response.
Outside, others don't know what's between us,
theories abound but no solid idea.
We're too good for them to know for sure.
Best friends on the exterior, soulmates inside.
Lovers, in every sense of the word.

YFDHippo
May 2, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I think it would help if you split up some of longer lines either by removing some words or cutting them into two.
Ex:
The night winds down.
The children sleep.
We talk all night,
engrossed in each other's
minds and hearts,
words flowing like
water over a cliff.

Anyway, here's a poem:

A Little Green tree

looking fine and dry.
snip, snip
there goes a Bit of branch.
snip snip, Bye!
there goes a Bit of another.
snip snip, crunch!
pruning fore-Goes until there is just
A skeleton.
Long green bleached bones

they come alive
and the Way
they hit the ground
it's as if the weight

1 million pounds!

they turn to me

and say

THESE NAKED BONES
THESE TEN BARE CAPITOLS
DID YOU AT LEAST CAPITALIZE
ON WHAT I HAD TO SAY?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I'm just going to go ahead and proclaim myself Supreme Poetic Shade-Emperor of CC and drop this shot across all of your-all's bows:

I HAVE FOUND YOUR GOD
hiding in the cupboard
An urn cast
of some uncertain clay
Whose gaping mouth cries out
in mockery
A petty theft
light as a handshake

Blossoms
but no fruit

RichardGamingo
Mar 3, 2014
I know it's dumb to sign my posts, but I can't stop no matter how many times I'm told, because I'm really stupid and I want to make sure that shines through in everything I do and say, forever.

Best Regards,
RG
RUNNER
Got my eye on the clock
finger wrapped around the trigger of my Glock
I run the streetlife like a magician casting illusion
Tricks? I walk on the puppeteer's strings
Casting off epiphenominal datums like a snake shed its skin
I slither to the next individual and make 'em my penniless victim
Bulk transport pays dividends
This one is for those who just play Devil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

RichardGamingo posted:

RUNNER
Got my eye on the clock
finger wrapped around the trigger of my Glock
I run the streetlife like a magician casting illusion
Tricks? I walk on the puppeteer's strings
Casting off like a snake shed its skin
I slither to the next individual and make 'em my penniless victim
Bulk transport pays dividends
This one is for those who just play Devil
Ok, so you've made it clear that you're not going to gently caress off on your own accord, I'm going to actually try to sincerely crit this, and all the other stuff you've posted in CC over the last few weeks. The same three issues keep coming up again and again

1) take your thesaurus and burn it. Bigger words =/= better words. I could say "The gentleman perambulated streetwise to the vendor of milky treats and exchanged his hard-earned monies for salubriant and intoxicant beverages" or I could just say "The man went down to the store to buy a beer," and the latter is 100% objectively better writing. Using overcomplicated words serves only to masturbate your ego.

You shouldn't words like "epiphenominal datums" anyway, but you especially shouldn't use them if you can't even spell them correctly: it should be "epiphenomenal datum".

2) you're not as smart as you think you are. I'm not saying you're dumb, but you seem to think you're some paradigm-crashing genius when you're retreading the same boring poo poo that every skinny white dude does straight out of college. Don't be disheartened, but get some perspective.

3) drop the :smuggo: internet cool guy attitude. If you can't be sincere about your subject matter, why should I give a gently caress? Yeah we get it you're some skinny white dude being all "gangsta" and it's so "ironic": there's a million of you on the internet and they're all terrible. The gimmick was tired about ten seconds after it first appeared. Comedy is really hard to write, and you need a lot more practice getting the basics down before you try to crack it.

You want to improve as a writer? You want CC to pay attention to you? Well, I've got something special in store: CLICK HERE FOR MY CHALLENGE TO YOU, RICHARDGAMINGO.

• Locked thread