Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

drat Gannicus' first scene in Gods of the Arena is hilarious. Backlit and smiling and being a general pretty boy while slaughtering a dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Democratic Pirate posted:

drat Gannicus' first scene in Gods of the Arena is hilarious. Backlit and smiling and being a general pretty boy while slaughtering a dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgIIlXWVoUk

Yudo
May 15, 2003

limeincoke posted:

Rewatching season 1. Manu is fuckin lean that season. Nowadays he's a bit heavier (especially in the face), but season 1 is just perfection. Though it probably helps that he's got a deep tan and is constantly covered in oil with overhead lighting.

Also, it was either this thread or the GBS one that talked about Varro's death. That was a weak spot for me, and not because Varro was cool. It's because Varro was a free Roman citizen under voluntary contract. I don't know what Roman custom was, but I'm pretty sure ordering the death of a (fairly respected) citizen entirely for the show of a party would have been Not Cool.

I'm not an expert on Roman history and law, but from what I understand Roman citizens could not (though it did happen) preform in the arena: a citizen couldn't be whipped, beaten or killed without trial. Varro sold himself into slavery to settle debts, unlike most gladiators that were captured, enslaved and sold very much against their will.

Keep in mind that while Roman slavery was indeed brutal, it did not have, for lack of a better word, the permanence of later racial slavery: a freed slave had rights (e.g. could never be enslaved again) and could become or reclaim citizenship, albeit social stigma was attached. One could sell themselves into slavery, and later buy themselves out. Some rose quite far and for a period made up much of Rome's bureaucracy.

After the fall of the Republic, several emperors enacted laws giving slaves a great deal of rights vis-a-vis their prior lot and the unimaginably horrible American institution, though Roman law enforcement is nothing like what we have today and I'm not sure how such protections translated to the daily life of slaves. That being said, the Servile Wars scared the poo poo out of Romans so they were probably nicer by that virtue. The end of Roman military expansion also curtailed supply, making killing your slaves pretty dumb.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 13, 2015

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Yudo posted:

I'm not an expert on Roman history and law, but from what I understand Roman citizens could not (though it did happen) preform in the arena: a citizen couldn't be whipped, beaten or killed without trial. Varro sold himself into slavery to settle debts, unlike most gladiators that were captured, enslaved and sold very much against their will.

Keep in mind that while Roman slavery was indeed brutal, it did not have, for lack of a better word, the permanence of later racial slavery: a freed slave had rights (e.g. could never be enslaved again) and could become or reclaim citizenship, albeit social stigma was attached. One could sell themselves into slavery, and later buy themselves out. Some rose quite far and for a period made up much of Rome's bureaucracy.

After the fall of the Republic, several emperors enacted laws giving slaves a great deal of rights vis-a-vis their prior lot and the unimaginably horrible American institution, though Roman law enforcement is nothing like what we have today and I'm not sure how such protections translated to the daily life of slaves. That being said, the Servile Wars scared the poo poo out of Romans so they were probably nicer by that virtue. The end of Roman military expansion also curtailed supply, making killing your slaves pretty dumb.

Just a quick google search - but Roman free man were only banned from the games under 1 ruler, who was a grotchy crotch. Other than that free men were actually the preferred gladiators. Which makes sense, as obviously Romans would consider Romans to be better at fighting, and thus a better show. Gladiators were the rock stars and sports heroes of their time, and even Emperors enjoyed fighting in them.

Either way, searching revealed me right - Varros was a common situation, and he was still considered a Roman free man who was simply under a (modern term) free agency contract.

limeincoke fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 13, 2015

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Wasn't the death toll lower in the real games, at least regarding gladiator v gladiator fights?

Yudo
May 15, 2003

limeincoke posted:

Just a quick google search - but Roman free man were only banned from the games under 1 ruler, who was a grotchy crotch. Other than that free men were actually the preferred gladiators. Which makes sense, as obviously Romans would consider Romans to be better at fighting, and thus a better show. Gladiators were the rock stars and sports heroes of their time, and even Emperors enjoyed fighting in them.

Either way, searching revealed me right - Varros was a common situation, and he was still considered a Roman free man who was simply under a (modern term) free agency contract.

You are right, though being free is different from being a citizen (citizens could participate but the social consequences were monumental). During the period of the Servile Wars, I am pretty sure that the vast majority of gladiators were slaves captured in Rome's many wars of expansion.

However, the oath a freeman swears when signing up to be a gladiator is basically enslavement: you legally agree that your master can do whatever the gently caress they want to you or with you. Freeman or slave, the difference is semantic if to be a gladiator you give up all your rights. Which is, as it so happened, what Varro did and why there were no legal repercussions for killing him. His goal was to buy himself out of his contract, which is in essence the same as a slave buying his or her freedom. Call it what you will, but nearly all gladiators were effectively the property of someone, i.e. slaves.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 13, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Democratic Pirate posted:

Wasn't the death toll lower in the real games, at least regarding gladiator v gladiator fights?

Yup basically whoever hosted the games had pay for every death, so matches to do the death instead submission could be excessively expensive.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Varro should have been there besides Spartacus in the war planning tent, covered in fresh Roman blood.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Less Varro means less Jai Courtney which is always to the work's benefit. :colbert:

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
In this case, Jai Courtney was fantastic as Varro, though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

redshirt posted:

Varro should have been there besides Spartacus in the war planning tent, covered in fresh Roman blood.

Yeah but his death pissed off both Batiatus as he cost him money and Spartacus as he had to murder his friend for the entertainment of a little poo poo. The show did show that most battles were not to the death, and it was only on special occasions like if the needed it to rain.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ubiquitous_ posted:

He plays a much better anti-hero than hero that's for sure.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

It's the blonde curls. He should always have blond curls. :3:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Varro was an idiot, was he not? Kind hearted, but dumb.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

redshirt posted:

:getout:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

redshirt posted:

That's your opinion? I fear it malformed.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

That's your opinion? I fear it malformed.

He was a slave because of gambling debts, correct? And even after winning a big purse, he blew it on gambling, right?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

redshirt posted:

He was a slave because of gambling debts, correct? And even after winning a big purse, he blew it on gambling, right?

Cause he was a dick about his wife being raped, so he stopped giving her his winnings.

Sad Rhino
Aug 23, 2014

Xoidanor posted:

Once again the gods spread the cheeks to ram cock in loving rear end!
Talking about his lot in life:

Add poo poo to the piss, pour it in the mouth!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ubiquitous_ posted:

A fun fact is they were planning to kill him off earlier but the positive fan reaction kept him in a few more episodes.

also don't feel bad Varro got sold off for a awesome pair of tits.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'd take those curls over tits any day

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Cause he was a dick about his wife being raped, so he stopped giving her his winnings.

I haven't seen season 1 in some time (soon to be corrected since I ordered the collected set) - didn't Varro continue to gamble (and lose) in the ludus, to Spartacus's disapproval?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

redshirt posted:

I haven't seen season 1 in some time (soon to be corrected since I ordered the collected set) - didn't Varro continue to gamble (and lose) in the ludus, to Spartacus's disapproval?

Yep after he found out that his wife was raped and he sent her away.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

moments that owned in the S1 one finale was seeing the spoiled rich kid getting brutally shanked by Varro's widow.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

etalian posted:

moments that owned in the S1 one finale was seeing the spoiled rich kid getting brutally shanked by Varro's widow.

Hell yeah.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

It was glorious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPfjd341wek

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
His screams were so fantastically awkward.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

best assassination of the series goes to Glaber getting saved by his wife in the bath scene.

(it also has Haldir penis goodness as a added bonus)

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I'm happy Spartacus is on Netflix so more people will watch it. I'm sad it happened two months after I re watched it with my girlfriend and I had to dig through a bunch of boxes to find the blu rays that I still had.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

etalian posted:

best assassination of the series goes to Glaber getting saved by his wife in the bath scene.

(it also has Haldir penis goodness as a added bonus)

Craig Parker is incredibly well-hung and the gay world thanks him for it. No prosthetic necessary.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Craig Parker is incredibly well-hung and the gay world thanks him for it. No prosthetic necessary.

I mean, I'm straight so it's just entirely possible I forgot but I mean come on, Segovax.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Double the posts double the dicks

dreffen fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 14, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

dreffen posted:

I mean, I'm straight so it's just entirely possible I forgot but I mean come on, Segovax.

Your man Charles Vane sports a serious dick too

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
My cock is magic!

Jupiter's cock this show is even better the second time through.

11 cocks out of 10!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
the censoring is just in the gif right, even you americans got the uncensored version of the show i hope

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
My Starz episodes had dicks.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Is he, though? Like, I don't remember being wowed by his dong.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Not going to lie the censorship adds some humor to the scene.Like a really gory parks and recreation set in a roman ludus.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Loomer posted:

Is he, though? Like, I don't remember being wowed by his dong.

Me either, but then, being a grower myself, I'm willing to give flaccid dongs the benefit of the doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Spartacus: War of the Damned - Talking 'bout Dicks, Dongs and Horse Cocks.

• Locked thread