Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sober posted:

It'd be crazy if they just recycled some of the Spartacus actors and had them play either Legates or senators or whatever for a Caesar spinoff. Who would Rapeface be? (Other than a descendent of the original Rapeface? :smug:)

If they did a Vorenus-Pullo straight up rip off, I wonder who they would cast for it (assuming different names, same-ish dynamic), because I think I'd love to see that level of violence but cranked to DeKnight's Spartacus levels.

Ha ha sort of like the casting in the Corner/Wire. If you played a criminal in Corner you played a cop in Wire and vice versa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Fate really has firmly planted cock in rear end by having this show only last 3 seasons.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nixar55 posted:

Just re-watched Blood and Sand, debating if I have time for Gods of the Arena or if I should go right into season 2 ahead of the new season, since it starts so soon. I'm really going to miss this show when it's gone. There's nothing like it on TV.

Eh, probably will watch Gods of the Arena because Gannicus is the loving best. I admit to still not feeling Liam McIntyre and definitely disliking the new and derpier-looking Naevia. So, I watch for Gannicus.

Watching Gods of the Arena makes the second season much more interesting since it provides a better understand for the character motivations driving main players such as Gannicus and Ashur.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Just found out Spartacus will be playing on the Movie Network here in Canada. Pretty excited because I thought I'd have to wait for the DVDs to come out.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
It starts this Friday :psyduck:

As much as I like the second season (and it has its charms), I really, really like GoTA. I never thought I'd say that a prequel (especially one made on short notice) was the best part of a series, but they nailed it. To hell with the rebellion; I'd watch six seasons of nobility/slave politicking/murder/arena fights. Like a more awesome Downton Abbey.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

3Romeo posted:

As much as I like the second season (and it has its charms), I really, really like GoTA. I never thought I'd say that a prequel (especially one made on short notice) was the best part of a series, but they nailed it. To hell with the rebellion; I'd watch six seasons of nobility/slave politicking/murder/arena fights. Like a more awesome Downton Abbey.

It really digs into how Roman society is all about status. Everything is about getting more status and making sure no one takes away yours. The word 'money' is never spoken in the entire series, it's always just 'coin', a thing to get and then spend to get more status. Both Batiatus and Spartacus are driven by a desire to be more then their position in society would dictate. A lanista becoming a figure of political power was ridiculous idea, the best his peers and his father could hope to achieve is to have their gladiators perform for the people with such power. A slave becoming a free man was more likely to happen as there was a process for it, no matter how unlikely it was.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CeeJee posted:

It really digs into how Roman society is all about status. Everything is about getting more status and making sure no one takes away yours. The word 'money' is never spoken in the entire series, it's always just 'coin', a thing to get and then spend to get more status. Both Batiatus and Spartacus are driven by a desire to be more then their position in society would dictate. A lanista becoming a figure of political power was ridiculous idea, the best his peers and his father could hope to achieve is to have their gladiators perform for the people with such power. A slave becoming a free man was more likely to happen as there was a process for it, no matter how unlikely it was.

Crassus basically being the epitomy of this. His life is a tale of attempts to purchase status with money.

I wonder how blatantly the show will point out that he was basically a Roman Romney.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Alchenar posted:

Crassus basically being the epitomy of this. His life is a tale of attempts to purchase status with money.

I wonder how blatantly the show will point out that he was basically a Roman Romney.

Crassus and Caesar were perfect allies/buddies. One had the status, reputation and connections but was up his rear end in debts, and another had more money then he knew what to do with and wanted more status. Can't wait for the next season, hope they nail the two well.

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009
First world problems below

So it shows Sunday nights on HBO. Starz isn't available in my area but HBO designates each episode as a repeat so I can't setup a series recording.

Once again the gods spread the cheeks and ram cock in loving rear end!

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

3Romeo posted:

While I wish it was longer, because it was awesome, I think the length of GoTA might have been a really good thing for it, quality-wise. I love seasons one and two, but in both cases I felt like the story took one or two episodes to really find its feet and pull you in. Gods of the Arena didn't have the luxury of taking that much time, and in my opinion, that made it come out of the gate a lot stronger.

Granted, part of my issue with the beginning of the second season might just have been getting used to seeing Liam instead of Andy, and it might get better on another watch. Which I fully plan to do at some point.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

MY COCK RAGES ON, MY COCK RAGES ON. Man I am pumped. I remember Navia killing the poo poo out of Ashur but I can't remember how Onomeus died

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

MY COCK RAGES ON, MY COCK RAGES ON. Man I am pumped. I remember Navia killing the poo poo out of Ashur but I can't remember how Onomeus died

He died fighting the Egyptian, and it was badass.

nixar55
Jul 25, 2003

She packed my bags last night. Pre-flight. Zero hour nine a.m. And I'm gonna be high as a kite by then.
GoTA was so good. I've probably watched it three times through since it originally aired. I didn't like Gannicus much at the beginning, but by the end... wow. This time, I really do see S1 and GOTA as kind of an Upstairs, Downstairs drama, just with more blood and loving. (Which makes it over-the-top and amazing.) GoTA was really nicely-plotted. Every story thread got a great conclusion.

Now to marathon the hell out of S2 before Friday night.

The premiere was tonight. Looking forward to seeing some red carpet photos. It's always amusing to see the cast all cleaned up.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

nixar55 posted:

The premiere was tonight. Looking forward to seeing some red carpet photos. It's always amusing to see the cast all cleaned up.

Just seeing them wear regular clothes is weird as hell. The first time I saw an interview with Manu Bennett, he looked really bizarre and I couldn't figure out why. I laughed out loud when I realized that it was because it was the first time I had seen him wearing a shirt.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Scuzzywuffit posted:

Just seeing them wear regular clothes is weird as hell. The first time I saw an interview with Manu Bennett, he looked really bizarre and I couldn't figure out why. I laughed out loud when I realized that it was because it was the first time I had seen him wearing a shirt.

And now he is going to be on Arrow

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

And now he is going to be on Arrow

I'd never actually heard of this show/series. Is it any good? Should I consider watching it either way, because Crixus?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Scuzzywuffit posted:

I'd never actually heard of this show/series. Is it any good? Should I consider watching it either way, because Crixus?

It is a cw superhero star staring Green Arrow and it is better then it has any right being.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Just got back from the LA premiere event which had basically the entirety of this season's cast in attendance, as well as John Hannah, Lucy Lawless, Viva Bianca, Katrina Law, etc. Basically every major character that died up until this point. It was fun getting to watch the first ep of the new season in a big theater full of Spartacus fans + the people who made the show, although the 2-minute sex scene did feel a bit awkward.

Premiere was really good, by the way. They did a fantastic job of introducing the new villain of the season, Crassius, and gave me hope that we may finally have a worthy successor to Batiatus (didn't think last season's Glaber was that great). There's a clever bit of plotting in the episode where they actually place him in a position where the viewer is actually rooting for him to succeed, thereby creating an attachment between the viewer and the villain. I'll avoid specifics except to say that while there's plenty of action and blood, it was the smaller character scenes in the episode that interested me the most.

Season should be nuts!

qbert fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 23, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

qbert posted:

Just got back from the LA premiere event which had basically the entirety of this season's cast in attendance, as well as John Hannah, Lucy Lawless, Viva Bianca, Katrina Law, etc. Basically every major character that died up until this point. It was fun getting to watch the first ep of the new season in a big theater full of Spartacus fans + the people who made the show, although the 2-minute sex scene did feel a bit awkward.

Premiere was really good, by the way. They did a fantastic job of introducing the new villain of the season, Crassius, and gave me hope that we may finally have a worthy successor to Batiatus (didn't think last season's Glaber was that great). I'll avoid specifics except to say that while there's plenty of action and blood, it was the smaller character scenes in the episode that interested me the most.

Season should be nuts!

This is just a general question but whats the body count?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

bobkatt013 posted:

This is just a general question but whats the body count?

In the premiere?

Well, technically thousands. The opening scene is a giant-rear end battle. Specifically I would say we actually get to see like 50 individuals get murdered throughout the episode. I'm not kidding. It's an action-heavy episode.

Edit: Something cool from the premiere. Robert Tappert came up before the episode started and asked every actor in attendance who had ever been on the show to come up front. Like 20 actors came down. He then went down the line one by one, introducing them and their character, saying something nice about them, then saying, "You're not Spartacus!" and eliminating them. Finally, Liam was left, and I wish I could remember if he yelled out "I am Spartacus!" or not, but he did say some kind words of thanks before the episode started.

qbert fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 23, 2013

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Fuuuuuuck I read that Season 2 summary and now I have to go to Amazon and order it immediately. It sounds so badass.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Scuzzywuffit posted:

Heh, I had the same issue with the guy who plays oenemaus when he appeared in true blood season 5. I thought he seemed very familiar but couldn't place him until a goon pointed it out, probably because I was so used to seeing him in a gladiator costume

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Hemp Knight posted:

Heh, I had the same issue with the guy who plays oenemaus when he appeared in true blood season 5. I thought he seemed very familiar but couldn't place him until a goon pointed it out, probably because I was so used to seeing him in a gladiator costume
It's pretty obvious he survived because of a vampire and then he joined the Vampire Authority.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

This song should be in the OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVl21YCzIiA

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Even Spartacus knows who the true star of the show is. I am so pumped for Friday.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
You can watch the first episode early and for free here: http://www.starz.com/originals/spartacus/Videos/#/free-spartacus-war-of-the-damned-episode-1

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Is it just me or does the audio cut out somewhat in? It does this every time I try to play the video.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

US only?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

On the one hand I want to watch it now, on the other hand watching it live is so much more intense! Decisions, decisions....

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Oh man it returns and I hope that it goes out in a blaze of glory.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

vyst posted:

On the one hand I want to watch it now, on the other hand watching it live is so much more intense! Decisions, decisions....

Wait. If you watch it now you just have longer to wait until episode 2.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Did the show always air at 9?

I'm going to have to DVR it, hockey takes priority.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Great return. Happy that Furius and Cossinius played a part in the show in some small form after all, as I thought they would be the two guys left out during the time jump since DeKnight felt they were just "more of the same". Instead we still got them and they played a part in introducing Crassus. I also appreciated that the episode ended up name dropping several other historically named people who took part in the war like Mummius and Scrofa. Loved Crassus as well, very practical, analytical and ruthless. The episode really gave you the sense why he is the perfect "end boss".

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Just an assumption.. NWS?
I don't want to wait! But I don't want to get fired... decisions decisions.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

qbert did say there's a 2 minute sex scene.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

deong posted:

Just an assumption.. NWS?
I don't want to wait! But I don't want to get fired... decisions decisions.

It's pretty NWS...

Luckily I share an office with another developer and we are WAAAAAAAAAY in an out of the way corner and neither of us care about content.

So, I have to say, it was pretty great. Without spoilers, I will say that Liam has really grown on me and he feels more natural in the role, and Crassus is setup wonderfully

Aphrodite posted:

qbert did say there's a 2 minute sex scene.

The gods see fit to ram cock, truly, in all glory.

Jabbu
Aug 1, 2005

GODWIN'S LAW? WHAT THE FUCK IS GODWIN'S LAW YOU FUCKING CRYPTO-NAZI? WHY DON'T YOU STOP RAPING CHILDREN FOR FIVE MINUTES, PUT DOWN THAT GLASS OF PUPPY BLOOD AND JUST ADMIT THAT YOU'RE A FUCKING MONSTER
Holy...poo poo...The last 15 minutes or so of that episode. Crassus is pretty awesome so far.

Edit: The visual that strikes me when I think about how menacing Crassus seems when portrayed against the Romans that we've seen in the series so far is the self made billionaire who has advanced degrees in multiple fields of study in a room full of trust fund millionaires, only in this fictional world if any of them look at him the wrong way or say the wrong thing, he can and will kill them.

Jabbu fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 25, 2013

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Yea, Liam looks totally comfortable now. There has always been a bit of off-ness to the world outside the Ludus but that was probably more missing it than anything actually being off. It feels much more natural now, and I'm super pumped to see the season play out. I'm just so happy to have the slo-mo and the screaming and the blood back. Every season has given us fresh ways to enjoy it, and I'm totally smitten to see how insane this will get. Crassus is also perfectly menacing and looks to be just a strong an actor as Hannah. So pumped!

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Any non-US goons been able to watch it? It doesn't seem to be loading for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

meanolmrcloud posted:

Yea, Liam looks totally comfortable now.
He seemed much cleaner and youthful than the original guy, but I finally got used to it by the end of last season.

• Locked thread