Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Gaussian posted:

The recent activity in this thread has inspired me to do a rewatch of the show. I forgot how good season 1 was: great characterization, tight plotting, no plots that go anywhere, etc.

Also, does anyone have a gif of Lucretia's reaction to Gannicus' last kill in GoA?

The box set is tempting but the price spreads cheek and rams cock in rear end :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Crixus smashes a Roman in the face with the eagle standard and the eagle goes cawww!

Julius Caesar introduces himself by doing a DDT!

Spartacus throws a rock fastball so hard it knocks the top of someones skull off!

they're really ramping up the awesome ridiculousness in war of the damned

EDIT: five minutes after typing, Spartacus does a hurracanrana and in the middle of the hurracanrama stabbed a separate man in the face!!!

Eau de MacGowan fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 29, 2014

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Crixus smashes a Roman in the face with the eagle standard and the eagle goes cawww!

Spartacus throws a rock fastball so hard it knocks the top of someones skull off!

EDIT: five minutes after typing, Spartacus does a hurracanrana and in the middle of the hurracanrama stabbed a separate man in the face!!!

Yeah, to me War of the Damned was the point where the cinematography/effects/budget caught up to the choreography, and the results can be pretty spectacular.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Eau de MacGowan posted:

:shobon:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Syndication censorship update, courtesy of the AV Club:

quote:

Syfy Slice-And-Dice: This is one of the most re-edited episodes yet, with many scenes reframed or edited to remove female nudity. For example, during Licinia’s mask selection, CGI tunics are added to some of the slaves and Mira’s scenes with Spartacus are reframed and feature CGI-heightened shadows. Lucretia’s milk bath scene is reframed similarly, the slaves preparing Spartacus for his rendezvous with Ilithyia are cleverly cut around or have CGI breast bands added, and in their encounter, Ilithyia’s hair is lengthened to cover her nipples. An extra curtain is added across the reveal of the golden Spartacus, to obscure the episode’s only full-frontal male nudity, and their sex scene is chopped up considerably, with a commercial break added after Ilithyia’s walk towards Spartacus; the entire sequence edited down considerably, greatly diminishing its effectiveness. Batiatus’ rape of his slave is also cut entirely, as are a few other lines of dialogue, mostly for swearing.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Are there any clips online of these? Words leave my imagination to think that the CGI coverings are done by 4 year olds and I'm not sure if that's the case or not.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
They got the guys from episode 1 back to just put CGI blood over all nips and hoo-ha's.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Meanwhile Hannibal on NBC is allowed to show a totem pole of mangled human bodies.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Naelyan posted:

They got the guys from episode 1 back to just put CGI blood over all nips and hoo-ha's.

Mu Zeta posted:

Meanwhile Hannibal on NBC is allowed to show a totem pole of mangled human bodies.

This is about nudity though, which Hannibal also isn't allowed to do. They initially weren't allowed to show the scene of the 'angels' in episode 5 because you could see their buttcracks, and they got out of it by obscuring the buttcracks with CGI blood. Just as ridiculous.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Mu Zeta posted:

Well obviously being able to see a naked body would immediately and instantly corrupt an innocent young child's mind, but letting them watch all kinds of violence and gore and clothed sex scenes is fine because

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
I just marathoned through the whole of Spartacus in the past week or two and it was so good! I wrote it off years ago as a bit cheesy and silly, but wow I really really loved it. Really sad that there's no more episodes to watch now :(

Apart from Rome - is there anything similar in style? I loved the combat, flowery language, awesomely cool goodies and horribly villainous baddies.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Banshee has been mentioned a few times as a recommendation but I still haven't watched it yet.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bloodbath posted:

I just marathoned through the whole of Spartacus in the past week or two and it was so good! I wrote it off years ago as a bit cheesy and silly, but wow I really really loved it. Really sad that there's no more episodes to watch now :(

Apart from Rome - is there anything similar in style? I loved the combat, flowery language, awesomely cool goodies and horribly villainous baddies.

Banshee I wouldn't recommend, but if you're looking for flowery language and amazing baddies Deadwood is pretty undeniable. Less combat though. Lots of drinking and loving though!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Banshee for sure, the bad guys are amazing, the fighting is amazing and the women are amazing.

Whole show is amazing basically.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Bloodbath posted:

Game of Thrones, The Tudors, I Claudius, and The Borgias.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
Thanks guys. I've seen all of those shows, which I guess confirms my fears that I have to accept Spartacus is finished and move on with my life. :(

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's another show called Borgia from the creator of the Oz prison show.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
I've always considered Spartacus S1 to set off similar endorphines as Prison Break's opening effort.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Bloodbath posted:

Thanks guys. I've seen all of those shows, which I guess confirms my fears that I have to accept Spartacus is finished and move on with my life. :(

Human Target season 1? (Do not watch season 2)

Great fight scenes.

God the second season is donkey balls.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Arrow has Manu Bennett and gets really good after a few episodes.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Arrow is nothing like Spartacus and is not a good show unless you are super into comic books. Manu Bennett is not in it enough.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Wachepti posted:

Arrow is not a good show

The saddest post on this entire subforum.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Wachepti posted:

Arrow is nothing like Spartacus and is not a good show unless you are super into comic books. Manu Bennett is not in it enough.

This is a wrong post.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Wachepti posted:

Sorry about your cat.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Wachepti posted:

Arrow is not a good show

What a silly thing to say.

Also I was looking back at an article when they were still casting the replacement for Whitfield and apparently it came down to McIntyre and Amell? Which is kind of crazy. I want to know what an Amell Spartacus would be like.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
You have failed this rebellion.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

There's another show called Borgia from the creator of the Oz prison show.

It's so much better than the Showtime one too.

A couple other shows that dude might like are Vikings and Black Sails. They're both historical dramas with badass characters doing badass things, although they're both slower paced and lower key than Spartacus

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

savinhill posted:

It's so much better than the Showtime one too.

A couple other shows that dude might like are Vikings and Black Sails. They're both historical dramas with badass characters doing badass things, although they're both slower paced and lower key than Spartacus

Black Sails made me watch trough an entire episode about scrubbing a boat and it made me like it. :iia:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xoidanor posted:

Black Sails made me watch trough an entire episode about scrubbing a boat and it made me like it. :iia:

It has similar rude fun humor like the blackbeard joke.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Zaggitz posted:

The saddest post on this entire subforum.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

This is a wrong post.

ded posted:

Sorry about your cat.

dreffen posted:

What a silly thing to say.

Nope, he's pretty much right. Arrow is not good if you don't like comic books. Its made for the same people that think The Avengers was a triumph of modern film.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nope, he's pretty much right. Arrow is not good if you don't like comic books. Its made for the same people that think The Avengers was a triumph of modern film.

I'm not huge into comic books and thought The Avengers was kind of a mess, and I enjoy Arrow.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I don't like comics or superhero stuff in general which is why it took me so long to watch Arrow. It did take quite a few episodes to get into though.

Black Sails was really good, definitely watch that one.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

dreffen posted:

I'm not huge into comic books and thought The Avengers was kind of a mess, and I enjoy Arrow.

Seconding this opinion. I don't read comics at all, and never even heard of the character until watching the show, and it owns pretty hard, IMO.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Arrow turned into generic cringey CW garbage this last season, I'm not sure I can safely recommend it to anyone anymore.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Deakul posted:

Arrow turned into generic cringey CW garbage this last season, I'm not sure I can safely recommend it to anyone anymore.

I felt like that happened around 12 episodes into the first season which is why I dropped it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

CODChimera posted:

Black Sails was really good, definitely watch that one.

This I can get behind. Its like Deadwood with pirates. I can't wait for the second season.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Arrow's first season was good (except the Huntress arc early), but I stopped watching in the middle of the second season.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Arrow is like Spartacus in that it typically doesn't waste time and cuts right to the point, while trying to make as much awesome as possible happen at the time. It's like the anti-Smallville. And, of course, the shared actors.

It's nowhere near as good; it's basically the pulpy, light fun, you THOUGHT Spartacus might be when first watching. But it's still in the 'second tier" of television right now, as far as entertainingly watchable goes.

Also, Avengers sucked.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I started Arrow because I liked Nikita and people in there recommended it. If you aren't a superhero fan, it's just okay and actively bad at times. Overall, it's a good semi-realistic superhero series (and it made Amazing Spiderman 2 look even more like garbage) but not good enough to recommend. It also has the super annoying Lost thing where people act out of character to make fake drama.

Nikita on the other hand, is awesome. Despite still needing some suspension of belief, it's a pretty great spy show. It's similar to Spartacus in that after almost every episode, it feels like things have really shaken up. It might have the longest stretch of "holy poo poo was that a season finale?" ever. Also has an enclosed training environment like the ludus with similar dynamics and politicking.

No boobies, but pretty ladies galore and Maggie Q lounging around in lingerie for no reason all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Strike Back is good, just started it. The banter between the main characters is really well done.

• Locked thread