Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Is Pompey in this season or are they just ignoring him? I do not see how they could since this helps set up him becoming a consul of rome?

He only shows up after Spartacus is likely already dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

He spends this entire period fighting in Spain so it would be a bit difficult.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CeeJee posted:

It really digs into how Roman society is all about status. Everything is about getting more status and making sure no one takes away yours. The word 'money' is never spoken in the entire series, it's always just 'coin', a thing to get and then spend to get more status. Both Batiatus and Spartacus are driven by a desire to be more then their position in society would dictate. A lanista becoming a figure of political power was ridiculous idea, the best his peers and his father could hope to achieve is to have their gladiators perform for the people with such power. A slave becoming a free man was more likely to happen as there was a process for it, no matter how unlikely it was.

Crassus basically being the epitomy of this. His life is a tale of attempts to purchase status with money.

I wonder how blatantly the show will point out that he was basically a Roman Romney.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Anyone know who the actor was who plays the Senator (Martellus?)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Aww, I just realised what's going to happen in Decimation (besides the obvious): Crassus is going to have Tiberius beat his childhood friend to death. Or vice versa. Either way one of them's dying at the hands of the other.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Plucky Brit posted:

I always saw him as more of a Zapp Brannigan commander:

"I will simply send wave after wave of my own men at them"

Mainly because he failed so spectacularly at Carrhae.

He's interesting because he's a ruthless self-made man, yet desperate for the power and adoration that in the Roman system comes largely from winning great military victories - but he's not a very good general. His solution for being bad at generally is to bring back decimation. He also has the misfortune to live in the age of Caesar and Pompey, so he's completely in their shadow.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

e: eh, maybe they do if you've only seen him in certain things

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

My only concern is we're gonna lose the Roman intrigue. As people have mentioned, season 1 and GOTA are intimate since everyone is in the same place. Season 2 you have that vast seperation between the slave camps and the Romans off being frightened. Not that I necessarily need to see more BLOODY ORGIES but we're all out of snakes and shitstains on the Roman side. That was half the fun watching them snivel at each other

The first episode was entirely Roman intrigue? The slaves didn't actually do anything except what Crassus intended for them to do.

I suspect they might go for a Captain Ahab kind of plot this season; Spartacus and Crassus get locked in a conflict and can't let each other go and it gets more and more destructive to everyone around them as time goes on. Spartacus frees himself spiritually from that struggle (even if he can't physically) and that's the conclusion to his story.

Also if you want inter-Roman intrigue then Crassus' wife clearly thinks he's loving his slave, so that'll go somewhere.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Naevia quite clearly has serious PTSD that we've had strongly telegraphed but nobody in the show has noticed. I feel sorry for her victims but that doesn't make her any less of a victim herself.

I think the theme of this season is personal trauma and absolution. Naevia is losing the battle with her demons. Episode 1 outright stated that for Spartacus to find peace he needs to learn to forgive himself. Crassus is on the path to a hollow victory that will ultimately deny him true satisfaction.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Next episode title possibly give it away: Decimation

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tiberius would have won but for the Pirates having ordinance in reserve. He saw a good opportunity and he seized it - it didn't work out this time, but that's life.

This could actually open a rift between Caesar and Crassus. Caesar is the great gambler, Crassus is the guy who builds a wall across the lower isthmus of Italy to avoid a decisive battle with the Slaves. Crassus will be furious with the risk that was taken, Caesar might react with newfound respect. This could be the catalyst for the main tension in the Roman plotline.

Of course, as a fictional son of a historical character, Tiberius has no plot-armour whatsoever and is destined for a nasty end.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Caesar is indeed the SEAL with a heart of gold I was suprised to see that kind of a reaction from him in that scene, though I'd probably be the same way given how hosed up that girl was. The decimation scene wasn't the first "holy gently caress" I muttered during the episode, it was when that woman lifted her hand and had like half her finger nails torn out. Caesar went from a cool badass to really awesome dude with that scene. Of course if he kills Gannicus then he'll rocket up to the top of my "kill that fucker" list in a hurry. My only comment (and this isn't bad just an observation) is that I can't see this Caesar letting a bunch of dudes stab him in the back, so I choose to believe in this version of history Caesar kills Brutus and everyone else and rules over Rome forever. Agron is increasingly turning into a whiny bitch, I hope that slide doesn't continue but we'll see.

Actually if the whole 'Caesar takes a liking to Spartacus' theory pans out then it would make sense that a Caesar who takes all his leadership ques from Spartacus is taken down by a betrayal he isn't ruthless enough to see and deal with.

Totally called Crassus's son having to kill his best friend. Speaks wonders for the show that there was genuine suspense in the stone drawing scene though - only Crassus and Caesar have plot armour that keeps them truly safe.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Blinn posted:

I wanna see the whole Caesar/Crassus/Popmey triumvirate story. That would be cool.

The thing is that Crassus just acts as a stabilizing force in the tirumvirate. The spiral into civil war starts when he goes and gets himself killed marching a Roman army into a desert.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Democratic Pirate posted:

One thing I noticed about Caesar is that all his lines had a good "I want to kill my enemy, but I'm not saying who my enemy is because it's you" quality about them.

Virtually every line everyone says in this show is a double entendre.

What I actually noticed this episode is that I was hearing a lot of lines I could swear I've heard before. I guess that 4 seasons in the writers are running out of steam a bit with the dialogue.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think it's pretty clear that as far as the show is concerned, this is the setting for Spartacus's endgame. We're not going to see him getting chased up and down Italy. In fact I'm pretty sure this episode I heard Crassus hint at his 'preparations' (ie. the wall pinning the slaves in).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fragmented posted:

No don't lose heart. I'm sure we will get many bromanship's before the end. This is just the act two where everything starts to suck.

This season doesn't get a happy ending.

e: I mean sure, we'd love for them to do a special happy ending what Spartacus sails off into the sunset and leaves everyone else to die horribly, but of all shows this is not the one that's going to shy away from killing the title character in the final episode.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Jabbu posted:

The way Naevia delivers her lines sounds and looks sort of ridiculous. As a character she is ridiculous. She always has that stare, that angry face, with sort of an emo delivery like she trying to pick a fight with every single person she talks to...then she gets her rear end kicked. She just doesn't feel "real." She's that insecure and weak person that swings at you and you're just like "what the gently caress are you doing?" and she keeps hitting you and you're like "stop...what the gently caress...calm down" then she pulls out a knife and stabs you. She started a fight with the blacksmith who proceeded to then kick her rear end in self defense and she took it too far and loving killed the guy. Ashur kicked her rear end and when she was beaten she hits him in the balls, kills him, then delivers her sort of retarded line. This is understandable because Ashur did some rotten poo poo to her. She tries to fight Gannicus, whose friend she murdered and then showed no remorse over the fact, who just face plants her without even trying into the ground, she then proceeds to hit him in the loving head with a rock when he is distracted. I agree that Saxa feels strong. Naevia comes off as this person trying to act how she thinks strong people should be, without actually being strong. Even Mira came off stronger.

SHE IS A RAPE TRAUMA VICTIM YOU IDIOT

e: she is literally the only character who's reacting in an appropriate and realistic way to the events around them. That, and Crassus's son.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Thwomp posted:

I actually understood Caesar as throwing the fight against Gannicus. He's a quite capable fighter (as proved in the season opener).

I thought he actually came close to giving himself away, he looked like he was genuinely getting into the fight and forgetting his role. Which is then panned out by the fact that Crixus sets him up for a further loyalty test.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Funso Banjo posted:

The show missed a trick this episode.

The episode opens with blood trickling down and landing on the floor. We've seen lots of blood in this series, and of course everyone was expecting the camera to pan up and show corpses, which it duly did.

It would have been so much more rewarding to the audience if the camera had panned up to show someone with a big grin on their face simply painting the ceiling of Spartacus' villa.

Yeah, I was waiting for the 'soup's ready!' gotcha.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Rocksicles posted:

trying hard to understand where they are, because Sinuessa as it was in histroy is between Rome and Naples on the west coast. it's not mountain country by any stretch. It's like 900kms to the alps, marching past Rome. I know in history they made a break for the Alps, then turned around and marched south again but they were headed for Thrace.

Crassus built a wall, but it was on the southern tip, preventing them from heading back they way they had come.

I was going to write 'they're mashing up elements of history to fit the story', but then I realised that we're only just past halfway through the season.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they're doing. Spartacus was betrayed by some pirates that were supposed to ferry his army to Sicily, and he turned around to find that Crassus had walled off the whole tip of the boot. Supposedly he managed to sneak a large portion of his army over the wall on a snowy night, so even that's pretty good. They're obviously taking a lot of liberties with location and terrain, but I think one of the cool things this show consistently manages to do is hit the broad historical notes while still stylizing the poo poo out of everything.

Oh yeah, they're hitting the historical notes, it's just hard to tell how hard. For example I think that the thing with Crixus some people are expecting has already been done as far as this show is concerned, although there's a bit of Naevia's story to be played out.

Brad Caesar changed significantly when he tidied up, but the voice is just a bit too coarse for my liking. This Caesar will never transform into Ciaran Hinds Caesar and that's mostly a fundamental stylistic choice with the show, but Crassus for example could have been dropped into Rome and would probably have worked as a character.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Given that the show is so full of over-the-top ridiculous feats that you can grow accustomed to them, it was actually quite awesome to see Caesar lay out line-by-line just how incredibly heroic what he'd done was, and how pathetic Tiberius is in comparison.

The problem that Tiberius has is that he just isn't Ashur (and the last couple of episodes have literally just been him turning it Ashur 2.0, right down the the rape) and with only 4 episodes left and his enemies all having plot armor his story is not going to happy place.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

carnificina -ae, f. the work of a hangman; execution, torture.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It all really comes down to whether or not they'll have Pompey show up in the final episode.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Rewatched the last episode and it's amazing how the operatic theme basically shifts to Pirates of the Caribbean for a few moments when it becomes clear that Gannicus is safe.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

To be honest, I actually quite like some of the production decisions that being on bluescreen sets has forced on the show. The whole show has a very theatrical feel because stunts aside it would take only a very few alterations to the script to be able to perform the whole thing on an actual stage.

For a show that also has so much visceral action from fight scenes to sex scenes, it's also really amazing how it doesn't ever rely on those things for storytelling. The dialogue is incredible. The scene with Sibyl listening under the floorboards as Gannicus fights the soldiers is incredible not just for the tension but because it really hammers home that despite the fact that the writers and directors aren't ever afraid to show us anything, they also know the value of not showing us things.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Crassus explicitly says "there is nothing my son could do that I would not find it in my heart to forgive"

That's what makes Kore realise he'll never choose her over his son and why she chooses to run rather than reveal the rape. I can't believe there are people who missed that.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Honey Badger posted:

They already kind of did this with the Ceasar plot, considering he had nothing to do with them at all in reality and the show's portrayal of him is about as far as you can get from the real guy, but eh. I'll be content either way, I just want to see what they can do with the story and knowing the outcome is always one of those little weaknesses of historical dramas that has to be worked around.

We don't really know that much about what Caesar is doing at this point in his life but for the fact that he's establishing enough of a military career/reputation to get himself elected one of the military tribunes.

Rome's fighting 3 wars at the moment - against Roman rebels in Spain, Mithradites in Asia, and Spartacus in Italy. We know Caesar Caesar is in Rome to be elected Quaestor two years after the end of the Spartacus revolt. So while he's not remotely the important figure the show makes him out to be, it's plausible that Caesar was in Crassus' Army at the time.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zzulu posted:

Acting like we have the whole picture of people and events that took place over 2000 years ago is a bit silly. We've pieced together the history from what little we have recovered of the time period but we have no idea what we missed, which could be a lot so I don't mind if they take a lot of liberties

Nobody cares if they take liberties with history, this is a drama and not a documentary. The question has always been 'where will they stick with the conventional historical record and where will they do their own thing for the sake of the story?'

Obviously the show is nothing like what actually happened, but we do know they're following the arch of the historical story and that means that the slaves are going to lose. What's interesting is how the show is going to portray that loss.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Honey Badger posted:

Though, as has been pointed out, most of what he know about Caesar comes from later sources, he's certainly never described as some womanizing, battle-hardened warrior. He's generally known for his skill at oration (he had an unusually high-pitched voice, too, according to some sources) and tactical acumen. To be honest he was probably a lot like the way they are portraying Crassus, and so I can definitely see why they wanted to make the show's Caesar a counterpoint instead of having two similar characters.

Like I said, I enjoy the direction they took with the character in this show, but the real Caesar was a politician, a general, and even a priest at one point. While he obviously served in the military, there is no reason to conclude that he was some epic badass. He even got kidnapped by pirates once. (Though, to be fair, he did later have those same pirates crucified).

Speaking of Roman history, I would also kill for a spin-off following Commodus while he dresses up like Hercules and almost bankrupts Rome by charging the city to watch him fight in the arena. That dude was crazy as hell.

Caesar didn't just hit his 30's and suddenly become an incredibly military leader. This is a guy with not much patronage and not much wealth who nevertheless in a deeply conservative culture manages to rapidly scale the military and then political ladders (which in Rome are often the same).

He wasn't running around enemy cities in disguise or anything but everything we know about him suggests he was probably a pretty badass guy in his 20's.

e: ^^ it was Cato's half-sister. Caesar was a womaniser.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Double Bill posted:

Did they even cast Pompey by the way? I suppose he'd have to make an appearance pretty soon if they want to include him grabbing the glory (and a Triumph) from defeating Spartacus in the show.

It isn't that he defeats Spartacus, it's that his appearance out of nowhere is what completely steals Crassus' thunder.

Crassus spends the entire war scheming to use his defeat of the slave army to get the glory and popularity that comes with being a successful military leader in Rome. And just as all of his plans come to fruition, Pompey fights a little battle and gets back to Rome first, where he takes all the credit and the Senate happily hand it to him (because they hate Crassus).

The question is whether or not they signpost Pompey's return next episode to push Crassus into making mistakes or whether it'll come out of nowhere (but I can't believe it won't happen - Pompey is the reason Crassus isn't a 'winner' at the end of the season).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Also the rape jokes in this thread are not funny and some are more than a bit disturbing.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think the show could have used more Aragorn moments.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Prediction: Tiberius gets crucified by Spartacus.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Xoidanor posted:

Something else I've noticed re-watching the first season is that Crassus gets name-dropped all the time whenever Batiatus speaks of Rome. :aaa:

... it's not like Crassus becoming a big part of the story was genius long-term planning by the show-runners. It's just history.

I think what stuck me most about last episode is that all season they've been subtly playing to the assumption that I (and everyone else) had that Caesar's wrapped up in plot armour - throwing him into dangerous and tense situation that he fights his way out of. And then they turn that right back around and remind us that just because he can't die doesn't mean that bad things can't happen to him.

No character is safe, even the ones that can't die.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The phrase that got repeated enough times to be important/foreshadowing is 'Spartacus deserves some measure of comfort'.

I think that's the ending they'll go for. He can't win, but he'll get some measure of comfort.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

He isn't going to get the ending he wants. But nor is the show going to end on a depressing 'and it was all for loving nothing' note as they get slaughtered.

He'll get some measure of comfort, and that'll be enough.

e: I also think that in the last episode 'some period of time' passed both between it and the previous episode and during (when they split up).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

McSpanky posted:

No theoretical about it, Spartacus straight up said he didn't want to be with a Roman woman, and she said she only wanted his hot bod then and there.

Because in this show characters never say anything that's untrue or which doesn't reflect their actual feelings or lie to themselves.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Pron on VHS posted:

Finally saw the most recent episode. Just want to say gently caress YOU to the show writers for letting Tiberius be the dude that kills both Crixus and Agron. What a huge loving misstep, I haven't been this angry at TV in a while.

I think you missed the point (but only just).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Pron on VHS posted:

I'm sure there were thematic reasons but man, come on.

This is exactly how the show runners want you to feel. He's a villain. You are supposed to hate him.

• Locked thread