Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

DoggPickle posted:

I totally noticed Gannicus in that scene too! It's just for a second, but it was awesomely :haw:

Yeah, that and the cheesy eagle sound playing when Spartacus killed that Roman with the eagle standard were two of my favorite moments from this episode.

Spartacus is just such a good show, it's crazy how it can be so over the top and self aware about it and yet still work so well as a serious drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

He is my young Caesar. My old Caesar will be BRIAN BLESSED.
It may not have the violence of Rome/Spartacus but if you like court intrigue and batshit Romans watch I Claudius.

I love I Claudius so much. It has so many great actors in memorable roles and such great intrigue and scheming. And John Hurt is just so creepy and scary as Caligula.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

limeincoke posted:

The slow-motion shot of the slave-girl looking at Gannicus like she wanted to gently caress him right after he killed her Dominus was hilarious.

The music changed and everything for that but who can blame her, it's hard not to fall in love with Gannicus.

This season is awesome so far, the only complaint I have is that it needs more Lugo dialogue scenes.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Fatkraken posted:

I really like Brad Caesar, it's a nice change from the typical depections of him later in life.

Yeah, I'd rather watch this new approach with Caesar, plus we already have one Roman antagonist who's cold-blooded, super competent and pragmatic in Crassus, so the traditional depiction of Caesar would have been too similar to that imo.

savinhill fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 2, 2013

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

rejutka posted:

No love for "You would be surprised at the reach of my stream, boy"? I busted up laughing at that. Also, Naevia is uncool because she killed a bro of the broest of bros.

Naevia Ono is totally gonna break up the Fab Four, I just hope that Lugo gets to replace Crixus when it happens.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Agron is increasingly turning into a whiny bitch, I hope that slide doesn't continue but we'll see.

Agron's always been like that. He complains a lot and has a bad temper but when the poo poo is about to go down he's got Spartacus's back.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

They've already said they're interested in doing a spin-off with Caesar. I'm assuming they're waiting to see how well this season does and how well the actor is perceived.

I want a spinoff where Gannicus becomes a Highlander and has adventures throughout all of time.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Good rule of thumb. The first time you see a serious spoiler posted its best to get out of dodge, because its just a matter of time before some rear end in a top hat posts it and mocks everyone for caring.

While that's definitely true with huge post count threads like Walking Dead's and Game of Throne's, I find that the slower threads like this one tend to have less bullshit like that, and also less insanely annoying derails and arguments. Big ups for the smaller threads. But, yeah, I don't even want to read anything that gives the slightest hint at whats gonna happen, good or bad, or even someone's reaction to it that could give it away. Most shows I wouldn't care so much, but Spartacus is my favorite and this is the last we're ever going to get.

Also, Crixus and Naevia got some redemption this latest episode by stepping up when it counted towards the end, I hope all the friction between them two and Spartacus and Gannicus is done(it's probably not) and they can put cock to Roman rear end with a united front from here on out.

savinhill fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 22, 2013

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

The last scene is why Spartacus is in the highest echelons of TV.

God

drat.

That scene out-beheaded Ned for emotional impact, Tiberius has out-Joffreyed Joffrey with this latest episode, Caesar and Crassus are antagonists that I can't help but like in certain ways. Spartacus, you are what Game of Thrones should have been for me.

On a serious note though, this episode of Spartacus is one of the best episodes of any TV show that I've seen in a long while. It ran just about every range of emotion, and it all felt natural. So many great speeches and emotional exchanges too. Agron/Nasir was wrapped up in an awesome way too, had me choked up a bit and it wasn't the only scene to do it.

edit: I thought Naevia totally redeemed herself tonight. She did some hosed up poo poo most of this season, but she stuck with Crixus and what she believed in to the very bitter end and it almost allowed them to destroy Rome itself.

savinhill fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 23, 2013

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

AshB posted:

Tiberius is awful, but c'mon man, Joffrey has literally no redeeming qualities. At least you could sympathize with Tiberius when his friend died in decimation. Joffrey is just something else.

I hate Tiberius more right now but I'm sure Joffrey will top that once I see him do some more hosed up stuff again. That said, it could be argued that Joffrey has some extenuating circumstances to his behavior also, what with him being the product of incest along with having the worst parenting, and also being surrounded by enablers, who are willing to look the other way while they get what they want. I was mostly just joking though anyway.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Science posted:

The tent scene where Spartacus and Crixus discuss their plans bothered me a bit. All of a sudden a barbarian who's sole strategy has always been brute force comes out as being a deep philosopher on slavery.

I took that scene and Crixus's speech to be more that he was repeating and rephrasing stuff that Spartacus had been telling the other gladiators and slaves throughout the whole series and he was showing Spartacus that he really did respect what he had to say and that it had a deep influence on him after all, and a lot of the stuff he took to heart from Spartacus was one of his driving motivations for taking the fight to the Romans.

edit: also, back in the first season, I would have never thought that they would be able to get me to care so much for this greasy meathead with a douchey attitude and worse hairdo.

savinhill fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 23, 2013

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Conquistador posted:

I don't think it benefits Tiberius at all if his dad finds out that he rear end raped Caesar. I can't believe I saw that

Tiberius is a graduate of the Simon Adibese Academy of Tactical Sodomy, he can always find a benefit for anal ambush, no matter what the situation.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I can no longer refer to the day after tomorrow as "Good Friday" after finding out that Spartacus will not be airing.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Drei posted:

With a few (mostly violent) exceptions, does Naevia ever really interact with anyone but Crixus? I'm thinking that's one of the issues with her lack of characterization - the characters' bonds with each other do a lot to both explore their states of mind and humanize them, but all she did was whisper in Crixus's ear about parting ways with Spartacus, and snarling about how much she hates Romans. Would have been nice to see her talking with Saxa about different throat gouging techniques, or breaking down that Roman woman's notion that there's such a thing as a "good" domina. Anything to give her a little more dimension apart from her relationship with Crixus.

She was friends with Mira but after Mira's death it seems like she never got friendly with anyone else.

Also, Naevia's personal arc ended last season when she killed Ashur, and they really haven't given the character anything to do after that besides being Crixus's Lady MacBeth. This past episode was the first chance she's gotten to do anything to redeem herself by going down fighting, while coming very close to sacking Rome.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

not joseph stalin posted:

I unironically think this might be one of the best shows on television. These last two episodes have had soooo much catharsis in them, forestalling the massacre of favorite characters that will be the finale. This was practically a feel-good episode, with only Agron crucified and Kore goes to home, her brief taste of freedom devolving into her new life as an unfavored slave.

I definitely consider it the absolute best current TV show, and I would rank it in the top ten for the past decade or so. Outside of the beginning of the first season this show can do no wrong and has consistently exceeded expectations, even when those expectations were super high. Seriously, I can't think of a single thing this show does bad. They even manage to do awesome large scale battles on a cable channel budget. It's also the only show in a very long time that's managed to move me to tears.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

3Romeo posted:

This was a fun three years, guys. The Spartacus thread has always been the chillest place.

May your cock rage on for many years to come. Same to the rest of the thread too, except for that one guy who said he didn't understand why we all thought this is one of the best shows.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

maninacape posted:

Same here. It's the first time I've actually followed any show in TVIV.

You are so lucky, I think the Office was the first show where I tried to participate in it's thread in TVIV.

quote:

Gannicus will live tonight because the world needs his cock to rage on.

savinhill fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 13, 2013

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Gannicus invents Polo.

Lugo invents Cricket.

Thanks for all the awesome gifs teagone

savinhill fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 16, 2013

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
What do you do for the sex scenes?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

teagone posted:

Man I miss this show :(

That episode had some of the best gifs including one of my favorites where Crassus's weasel of a son is running from the trap building and Spartacus rips him off his horse by his cape.

teagone posted:

Still my favorite GIF

It's missing the part where Gannicus invents Polo.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I just read that DeKnight is working on an adaption of an Italian crime series named "Romanzo Criminale" for Starz. It's supposed to be about a gang selling coke in the 60s and 70s and is going to be transplanted to Philadelphia instead of Italy. http://www.avclub.com/article/starz-is-developing-a-new-series-about-a-drug-slin-106376

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Tokubetsu posted:

No one is watching it but Crassus is also on the CW show "The Tomorrow People." He's playing a villain haha.

Spartacus seems to be a casting director's kinda show. That or most of the people have pretty good agents getting solid work again so quickly.

Has Gannicus been in anything good since Spartacus?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Oz desensitized me to male nudity and gay sex scenes long before Spartacus ever aired.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

There's another show called Borgia from the creator of the Oz prison show.

It's so much better than the Showtime one too.

A couple other shows that dude might like are Vikings and Black Sails. They're both historical dramas with badass characters doing badass things, although they're both slower paced and lower key than Spartacus

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

redshirt posted:

I'm glad he turned into such a punk. This show thrives on good bad guys.

Yeah, he was awesome. I remember when that season started too, he looked like such a pretty boy non-entity and everyone was gonna hate him for the wrong "get off my TV" reason, but he ended up turning into such a great weasel scumbag villain that everyone loved to hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

etalian posted:

Crixus owning the magic cock guy was the best :iceburn: moment on the show.

Poor, doomed horsecock guy. when you're packing that much meat everyone's jealous

• Locked thread