Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Plucky Brit posted:

I always saw him as more of a Zapp Brannigan commander:

"I will simply send wave after wave of my own men at them"

Mainly because he failed so spectacularly at Carrhae.
To be fair no one could really beat the Parthians because of their Horse Archers.

Alchenar posted:

He's interesting because he's a ruthless self-made man, yet desperate for the power and adoration that in the Roman system comes largely from winning great military victories - but he's not a very good general. His solution for being bad at generally is to bring back decimation. He also has the misfortune to live in the age of Caesar and Pompey, so he's completely in their shadow.
Would you consider Caesar an even more ruthless self-made man? I really want the Caesar spinoff because his story is so interesting and awesome. I mean acting all :smug: when captured and held ransom by Pirates, then the Gaul Campaign where he go into battle wearing a crimson cape, then having his army make a bridge over the Rhine, go in and kill some German, return, and tore down the bridge just to show how they shouldn't gently caress with him. If he wasn't such a genocidal mass murderer I wouldn't feel bad for looking up to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

MrHat posted:

The hosed up thing is that the Romans had such an advanced legal system that the owner of the slave could prosecute for damage to property if one of their slaves was raped (without the consent of their owner).
Wasn't that after this war or am I thinking about how after the conclusion of this war Romans began progressively giving their slaves more and more rights because they were loving terrified of their slaves revolting and killing them in their sleep?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

yeah he certainly was born for greatness.

Greeks, pirates, gauls, celts, pompey magnus... he knew how to unfuck a situation.
He was probably too trusting of making old enemies new allies, at least that's what I learned in school.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

As long as Caesar doesn't get raped anymore.
No it will be Caesar who does the raping this time :smug: Metaphorically that is.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

There were always rumors that is how Augustus became his heir, he gave up his bum. I just assumed they had the rape since they did not have time to add the King of Bithynia.
I remember that being a story in The Sandman which I thought was Neil Gaiman making poo poo up, but then again he does a lot of research for his work.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Mr. Carlisle posted:

:lol:

Still funny every time.

One thing that makes Crassus far more badass television character as compared to a lot of the other generals is his willingness to get right up front and center in the poo poo of battle no matter how deep it gets. Wasn't it common in those days for generals to spend most of the battle far away from combat on a horse overlooking the battlefield or even in their tent only hearing news of how a battle played out after it was over?
I think Caesar was like that too, which iirc helped in letting him gain the loyalty of his armies. He also had a badass red cape.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Buttonhead posted:

I personally would love to see a follow-up being 'The Iliad' shot in the same style as Spartacus. In fact, just re-use the same cast as characters in the Iliad. Throw in some awesome poo poo like smarmy Apollo smiting people or Ajax hurling giant boulders, and you're all set.

Plus they don't have to skirt the sexuality of Achilles and Patroclus.
Man I spent all this time hoping for an Iliad movie franchise that I just realized that they could do this. :getin:

Pron on VHS posted:

even has a scene where he demands an absurd sum for his ransom. He later breaks Xena's legs with a hammer when she is being nailed to the cross.

Xena is crucified again later on in the series but by then the show had become a trainwreck so I don't recall the circumstances.
Didn't she also kill all the Greek Gods or something? What is with TV shows and video games wanting to kill the Greek Pantheon, what did they ever do wrong :(

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Remake I Claudius in the vein of Spartacus.
What about Caligula?

Flatscan posted:

What didn't they do wrong? Every last one of them was a psychotic rapist and/or murderer.
Not all of them, Demeter, Dionysus, Hades, Athena, Hermes, and Hestia were for the most part cool gods. Dionysus especially considering he was a demigod and loved to party, though his followers were psychotic murderers. I think there were a bunch of stories of the Greek gods not being total dicks/rapists, but that stuff isn't well remembered as Zeus going around raping women in progressively weirder ways.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

This is genuinely interesting to me. I've read a few books on Ancient Rome and they don't really mention how the names are supposed to be pronounced. Various shows and movies also say the names differently so it's weird. So is Cicero supposed to be kickero?
I highly recommend asking in this thread for all your Roman/Ancient history needs
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486446

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

Game of Thrones has great stuff but also a lot of loving boring stories like everything with Daenerys right now and everything with Jon Snow. gently caress the north and everything up there it's boring as gently caress. Spartacus lays a Fartacus on Game of Thrones.
I think if you can combine both of the good stuff from both shows you would get an awesome Trojan Cycle series. And now I'm sad that this will never happen :smith:

• Locked thread