Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

MysteryNad posted:

Striking in MMA

To be fair, this is one of the King of The Cage outdoor events where there was a downpour and they didn't cancel because that would have meant refunding ticketholders. So the PVC cage floor is soaked and everyone is skating. That's why the ref is wearing a loving poncho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

This, by the way, is what you link to whenever your friends ask "Why doesn't he just stand up?"

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

My favorite part of this gif - watch Anderson and Herb at 4:14 on the clock.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I'm pretty sure even if you did cut his head off he'd throw at least five more wild hooks before it hit the ground.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Sprecherscrow posted:

It's a cool vid, but I felt like it was kind of a dick move to come out to a tournament with no one on his level. He's not running game on top competitors he's running game on scrubs.

It was an advanced-level open tournament and he was only a brown belt at the time.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bucket Joneses posted:

Holy poo poo I did not realize that was A Thing.

You can see Frank Mir briefly go for it against Ian Freeman while getting his brains beaten in, and Fabio Gurgel tapped somebody with it in the European Championships last year or the year before. Also, reportedly Oleg Taktarov gets it a lot in training.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

red19fire posted:

Does that have a name? Kneebar with my own knees and legs doesn't roll off the tongue so well. Knee on knee crime?

I've never heard an agreed-upon name for it. Most people don't even know what the hell it is. If anybody here is at Marcelo's gymm or talks to anyone who is, he might be a good person to ask, since iirc Gurgel was his instructor.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dangersim posted:

Galvao's pretty much pulling guard there

Nope.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dangersim posted:

Ok maybe not pulling guard but he makes no effort to stop the shot.

Nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

He skips backwards at the same time as putting both his forearms down on Chael in an attempt at a buckback sprawl.

He isn't successful because Chael is too fast for him. If he was pulling guard or just trying to get a good position after being taken down, he'd have moved entirely differently - specifically, one or both of his hands would have been digging for underhooks instead of going to his neck and then grabbing his triceps, and his legs would have been pushing to land him on his butt sitting forward instead of on the small of his back having to do a situp to get in good position.

Galvao is an amazing grappler who tapped Chael. There's not need to try to big him up by pretending that every bad thing that happened to him in that match was part of a grand master plan to go forwad.

• Locked thread