Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

I haven't written creatively in years, and now that finals are over, I'm ready to humiliate myself.

Count me in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

The Gentleman and the Lady
864 Words

It had been three weeks since I'd had real food when I got the message. The request, once decoded, was simple: highly dangerous, substantial pay. No witnesses. I didn't normally take such vague jobs, but a few days of rice gruel and recycled water can make you do crazy things.

-

That night, I met the client outside of my complex. Barely spotting him in the dim glow of the street lamps, I extended my hand and began to introduce myself.

“Now, now, there's no need for introductions. Your reputation precedes you, my lady,” he said, shaking my hand. “This is no place to discuss our business.”

As he drew closer, I realized that he was wearing a formal men's suit and tie. He was also carrying a patched, black umbrella – a useful item, if one considers the grimy muck that passes for rainwater these days, but the next rainfall was not scheduled for three more days.

“Fine,” I said, releasing his hand. “Take me away.”

He again took my hand and led me through the dark alleyways, ignoring every question I asked, rapidly turning between the buildings until even I had lost my way.

-

After an almost endless hike through what must have been every side-street and alleyway in the city – cold and barren, as usual – we finally reached his car. He held the passenger door open for me, and I clambered into the sedan, as black and clean as his suit.

My client sat in the driver's seat and pressed his thumb into the ignition plate. “What do you think? It's old, but I had the body fixed up recently.”

I snorted. “Just tell me what we're doing.”

“Of course. You're a busy woman,” he said. “We'll be heading to the climate control center, to commit sabotage. I will handle the security, and your role will be the sabotage itself.”

“And why, exactly, do you want to destroy the climate control?”

“A gentleman must have his secrets, my lady. But I assure you, the importance of this cannot be exaggerated.”

“And the pay you promised me? Was that exaggerated?”

“You wound me, my lady. You will receive your compensation. After all, a gentleman never lies.”

-

Even at this hour, a number of armed guards waited for us outside our target. The curfew had been abolished years ago, but even still, to be found lurking outside a government agency at this hour would mean certain death. The client and I watched the entrance from around a corner.

“Wait here,” he said, stepping forward into the darkness. “This shan't take long.”

I pressed myself against the wall and waited for his return. Mere seconds later, he approached me, wiping off his umbrella with a white cloth. I turned and looked back at the entrance. The guards had been replaced by corpses, face down on the concrete.

“How?” I said, unable to contain my confusion.

The client simply smiled as he finished cleaning his umbrella. “A gentleman does not keep a lady waiting for long.”

-

An hour and several more dead guards later, we arrived at the center of the complex, where the control center itself resided. The main console stood in a pit in the center of the room, with various tubes carrying rainwater and electricity leading out of it to the rest of the building. A lift, powered down for the night, was the main point of access.

“After you, my lady,” said my client. He then removed a rope from his jacket and dropped one end into the pit, gesturing for me to climb down.

Sabotaging a system like the climate control center would be impossible from my own terminal. It was a different story with physical access to the console – within seconds, the entire network had opened up to me like a flower. A few minutes more, and the job was done. The console would later burst open, flooding the entire complex, and disrupting the control system; natural weather patterns would resume until a new control system could be built.

Satisfied with a job well done, I reached over for the rope – and grasped only air. I looked up at my client, and saw that the rope had vanished, and he wore the same smile that he had earlier.

“So this is it, huh? This is how you're gonna do this?”

“Of course, my lady! I did tell you that a gentleman never lies.”

Of course. No witnesses. He had, at least, not lied about that.

“There is the matter of your fee,” he said, removing a bundle of dollar bills from his jacket and tossing it into the pit. “I trust that this will suffice. You've been so helpful, in fact, that I'd like to give you a bonus,” he said, throwing something else down there with me. “Good night, my lady.”

I watched him leave, then picked up the umbrella he had left behind for me. I opened it up, sat down, and waited for the rain to start.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Against my better judgment, count me in.

Edit: Disregard this; I'm awful.

DoubleDonut fucked around with this message at May 22, 2013 around 20:46

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

I know I already entered, but count me out, please. I just realized there's no way I'll be able to actually write anything this week.

Or don't, I guess, but either way I'm not gonna submit anything this week.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Count me in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

I wish I had an excuse, but I mostly just couldn't come up with anything. Whoops!

• Locked thread