Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

HereticMIND posted:

Hard. And. DEEP.

If that doesn't become the title of your work I will be sorely disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

I'm in.

Let's do this freak thang.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

Brunch (447 words)

Allan clumsily reached for Samantha's hand and gripped it tight as they left the station. He climbed the stairs with her, trying to ignore the teenage couple loitering and smoking cheap cigarettes. Instead, he followed the smell of her new perfume as she guided him to the new cafe she'd discovered on the west side of town. A small establishment, crowded even at this early time of day, with the little Vietnamese proprietor rushing around and trying to keep up with orders.

He took a seat while she went up to order for him. At some forgotten point in their lives, she started to know what he wanted better than he did, so he simply let her do all of the ordering these days. She came back with the table number, and the two of them stared at each other for a long time.

“So,” he said. “Ten years, then.”

Her face wrinkled up at that. “Don't say it like that. Ten lovely years. Ten wonderful years.”

“They were, they were. Don't get me wrong. I just feel like they're starting to catch up with me.”

He knew she would laugh at that, and she did. “You're barely pushing fifty. Don't act like you're some old man hooked up to a colostomy bag. I didn't come here with you just to hear you moan about your troubles.”

He shook his head defensively. “Hey, hey! I get it. I'll give it a rest. I'm just saying, is all...”

“Well, don't.” She leaned across a little and grabbed his hands, pulling them up onto the table. “Look at these. You know what these are?”

“Hands?”

“Working man's hands. Look at them.”

He did. Old, gnarled things, the way he saw them. Crooked claws with thorny talons. But he took another look, tried to see the scars in a different light. Each scar and stiff joint, he knew how they got that way. More importantly, he remembered that he'd done it all for her. He thought about all the things he still had left to do. He smiled at that.

“Guess you're right. Still got a long way to go.” He looked up at her. “Heh. Bet those kids back at the train station ain't gonna work as hard as me right?”

She opened her mouth to say something, but she was interrupted by the waitress. The young lady was holding mugs of coffee, looking for a place to put them. Allan realised he was still holding onto Samantha's hands, warm and tight. Embarrassed as a schoolboy, he quickly pulled away, and waited until the waitress was out of sight to reach out again.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

Echo Cian posted:

Down With People: Brunch

Thanks! I was worried mine had gone completely forgotten.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

In with a pre-2013 entry. France 2008, with the aphorism If you will not hear and obey reason she will surely rap your knuckles.

Give unto me my flash rule. I am laid bare.

• Locked thread