Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, I don't like using aftermarket electronics I don't have design ownership of, but between the gevcu project and the aem stuff it's looking more and more possible.

However

Whoops I did it again

Some dudes pose with dead animals and fish, I do this dork rear end poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's going in the Roadmaster.

You know it's going to happen, just admit it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I don't know if I'm more surprised a pick-n-pull has a beam hoist, or that you used it instead of carrying the engine out.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It might go in the Roadmaster if the tbi acts up any more than it already does. loving thing is pissing me off.

Unfortunately it's not a direct swap. I would need to (ideally) get a 2wd 4l80e, driveshaft, crossmember, fully custom build the harness, exhaust, intake, fuel lines, fuel pump, motor mounts, possibly an oil pan, cooling lines, oil cooler lines, trans cooler lines...

That's just how we got it out of the escalade. It went into a 2 wheeled PicknPull wheelbarrow after that (with 3 ratchet straps holding it in place because it was SUPER SKETCHY) and I had to drag it about 600 feet, then use a different gantry to load it into the truck.

kastein fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 9, 2021

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Elviscat posted:

I don't know if I'm more surprised a pick-n-pull has a beam hoist, or that you used it instead of carrying the engine out.

Our pick-n-pull has a bunch of them, but they get stuck in the snow and are definitely not that nice.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah it was a royal pain in the rear end to get through the snow, they get overloaded all the time and the wheels go all drunk shopping cart mode so it was more pushing it through the snow while yelling at the wheels going sideways AGAIN than rolling it. But we lifted the whole body up in the front with it, jammed poo poo between the frame and body, dropped it back down and then pulled the motor the rest of the way. Speaking of which, the half inch snapon electric impact is life changing, my buddy who came with me this time has one (he's a dealer mechanic) and we zapped all the body mount bolts out with it easily. One had to be hit in forward before hitting it in reverse but they all came out in 30 seconds or less. Crazy.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

kastein posted:

we zapped all the body mount bolts out with it easily. One had to be hit in forward before hitting it in reverse but they all came out in 30 seconds or less. Crazy.

Witchcraft

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Not kidding it loving blew my mind. If it wasn't the price of one of my cars I'd get one today.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

Not kidding it loving blew my mind. If it wasn't the price of one of my cars I'd get one today.
Milwaukee is probably somewhere between a tenth and a third of the price and I'd bet similar/same torque.

Worth. It.

Edit: Hmmmm, those aren't as expensive as I imagined. I may have over-estimated the cost of your cars :v:

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 9, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The Milwaukee is supposed to be pretty awesome too, even more powerful than the Snap on.

Unrelated, I found the ultimate nut-fucker while I was searching around.

2,000 ft-lbs, 1" drive.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

McTinkerson posted:

The new AEM VCU's and the additional development they're putting in to outperform the factory Tesla control units are giving me very very bad thoughts (for garage space and wallet health).

Edit: What I'm saying is, I vote Tesla swap with AEM controls.
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/aem-ev-delivers-more-power-to-tesla-ev-conversions-with-its-new-control-system-155435.html

I saw that over in the EV thread, and I am a fan. :thumbsup:

Elviscat posted:

The Milwaukee is supposed to be pretty awesome too, even more powerful than the Snap on.

2,000 ft-lbs, 1" drive.

That's... serious looking.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My Ryobi impact has been a life saver for me I love that thing it was worth it just for the drat lug nuts

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Elviscat posted:

2,000 ft-lbs, 1" drive.

I think that's more of a bonk bonk than a brap brap.

And if I could go back in time about 10 years I'd force myself to buy a battery impact as the first tool in the set.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

Elviscat posted:

2,000 ft-lbs, 1" drive.

I'll keep one of those in mind next time I need to kickstart the earth on it's axis

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My Ryobi impact has been a life saver for me I love that thing it was worth it just for the drat lug nuts

I've got one of the Ryobis, and it's definitely useful.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

M18 middy but same. I hemmed and hawed for literal years on getting one since I have a compressor and serviceable air impact. Nope, still a complete game changer. My favorite tool.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I already have a 2500ftlb harbor freight earthquake gun (which I've actually never used...), So I'll probably just stick to daydreaming about more expensive red tools and keep that. It's kind of hard to use in a junkyard but should be fine for shop use.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

My cordless impact is mainly for wrecking yard use, but I find myself using it at home rather than dragging out the air hose, etc. The Earthquake only comes out my if the Ryobi can’t shift it, now.

Edit: I was already in the Ryobi ecosystem, so had batteries, but found a deal on one with 3.0 Ah battery for $100. Which my wife got me for my birthday last years :)

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
That a makes me wonder if thr proliferation of battery impacts and ratchets have noticiably affected pick n pull operations and how. Faster customer times, higher sales on big bolt items, more bolts and nuts laying in the dirt, less damage....

Last time I went for something hard to get at, it didn't even phase me. Just zip off everything in sight and stack it up. Maybe someone who needed an alternator got the easiest pick in the world.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

StormDrain posted:

Last time I went for something hard to get at, it didn't even phase me. Just zip off everything in sight and stack it up. Maybe someone who needed an alternator got the easiest pick in the world.
I frequently loosen bolts on things in the junkyard when I'm bored. I figure when somebody wants that (alternator, whatever) they won't have to do as much work.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Imma be pissed if I buy an engine, put it in my truck, and find out you loosened the bolts for me 5000 miles later. :v:

*Adds "check all accessory bolts" to the list for the Honcho*

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Hmmm, yeah, maybe I need to not do that.

I think I only do it on things that would be obviously loose and/or something you are already checking, but I'd hate to be wrong.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

kastein posted:

Imma be pissed if I buy an engine, put it in my truck, and find out you loosened the bolts for me 5000 miles later. :v:

*Adds "check all accessory bolts" to the list for the Honcho*

I only throw bolts down the intake manifold of ford engines, so you should be safe there.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

chrisgt posted:

I only throw bolts down the intake manifold of ford engines, so you should be safe there.

And beans and canned pineapple

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

chrisgt posted:

Ugh I wonder how many people actually do that just to be dicks

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Krakkles posted:

I frequently loosen bolts on things in the junkyard when I'm bored. I figure when somebody wants that (alternator, whatever) they won't have to do as much work.

That's alright, I weld crank pullies on so it balances out the universe.

What chaps my rear end is people that smash up trim pieces and cut harnesses.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

That's alright, I weld crank pullies on so it balances out the universe.

What chaps my rear end is people that smash up trim pieces and cut harnesses.

:ninja: I definitely would never do such a thing.

(I only cut the harness if I actually need the mating plug or I'm buying a big chunk of the vehicle, like the entire engine a few days ago I definitely took the harness as far as the back of the dashboard and halfway down the rear frame rail.)

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

This was not the improvement I was asking for!
[url=] https://jalopnik.com/peoples-curse-fails-to-kill-diesel-benz-once-angry-mob-5041045[/url]

“(...)it was decided to take the car, remove the oil cap, run the engine at WOT, while the other team captains dropped items into the engine. Things that were put into the poor engine included New England Clam Chowder, milk-o-magnesia, fabric softener, Heiniken Beer, a loose bolt, cleanser, and other things. You know what, the engine did not seized.”

Not all engines are created equal.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I'm the guy who disassembles the entire interior of the '90s Lexus just to remove the body harness. Local PnP used to charge $5 per harness. And Lexus didn't skimp on their wire quality. I still have close to 50kg of wire spooled up.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
If you find another LQ9 and it somehow moves with you to WA...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

This one might be coming with, honestly. I haven't bothered to list it yet. I've got an oil cooler bypass plate on the way and I'll probably just plug my already tuned ECU into this harness and temporarily hook it up to power and fuel to give it a test run after I put some oil in it. Would like to get a good listen and check the oil pressure before I list it for sale... Unless I end up just bringing it with me.

Only thing that can screw up this plan is if the ECU connectors are different by year (03 g3500 vs 06 escalade) or if the 06 escalade LQ9 is a 58x crank instead of 24x like the LQ4.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

06 could be 58x. Safest way to confirm is the color of the crank sensor and location of the cam sensor.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Cam sensor appears to be in the usual spot on the back of the motor at the top and crank sensor is black as far as I can tell, so I think it's a 24x, but I'm seeing statements that that's not a guarantee. I guess I probably won't hurt anything, it just won't start. Only has to start and idle. Think I'll check the ECU plug color codes tomorrow, assuming I brought the right size socket home.

E: it looks like it should be 24x but I'm not sure my ECU will run a dbw throttle body, dammit. I might have to steal my throttle body momentarily as well I guess and I'm not sure if that will plug in either.

kastein fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 12, 2021

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

kastein posted:

And beans and canned pineapple

Some Saab engines may come with 6lbs of beans in the oil pan

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

shy boy from chess club posted:

Some Saab engines may come with 6lbs of beans in the oil pan

Do you have the picture of that? I couldn't find it. Also the bmw that was in a fire, we gave that one a custom kidney bean grill.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I hope one of you can find them because I can't. Please post them here if you do.

Also, my boards came in and they look great.

So I soldered a bunch of crap to them of course.

Putting lead wires on, testing, defluxing, potting and packing are tomorrow's task. Guy who contracted me for these is ecstatic, he thought he was going to have to abandon the entire EFI system on the car he bought and put a new one in and get it tuned.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

chrisgt posted:

Do you have the picture of that? I couldn't find it. Also the bmw that was in a fire, we gave that one a custom kidney bean grill.

No I wish, I think I was too busy laughing to think to take a pic

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

gently caress yesssss just finished swapping my custom steering column into the Honcho. Everything bolted up great, though I haven't hooked up the high beam switch (the floor one is still active), or the cruise wiring (hopefully tomorrow), or the wiper switch. All the annoying part of the install is done however, like crawling under the dash to dick around with gungy old fasteners covered in 40 year old mouse turds that require being a hobbit or having 3 double jointed elbows to reach and trying to line up splines and pinch bolt notches on the intermediate shaft and column under the hood.

Seems like I'm going to have to rebuild the tilt mechanism (it feels like one of the pivot pins isn't in right...) But I've done that before and it's an easy comfortable job sitting on a cushy seat. Speaking of which, this was all worth it because I can get in and out of the truck without mashing my junk trying to wedge myself under the wheel now, and I can see the instruments instead of the top of the steering wheel blocking most of them from view.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Old intermittent* wiper switch: gone
New intermittent wiper switch in steering column and module: wired in and working!

This was a "6 butt splices" kind of project and worked first try. Here's the wiring splice list: (may not work on later 80s and 90s FSJ)

* The bad kind of intermittent, not the luxury option kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

Seems like I'm going to have to rebuild the tilt mechanism (it feels like one of the pivot pins isn't in right...) But I've done that before and it's an easy comfortable job sitting on a cushy seat. Speaking of which, this was all worth it because I can get in and out of the truck without mashing my junk trying to wedge myself under the wheel now, and I can see the instruments instead of the top of the steering wheel blocking most of them from view.

As a tall, not small person, I feel your pain.