Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

Jed awoke with a start when the talking started, wiping off a bit of drool as his head was in contact with the wall. "Breakfast?" he sleepily slurred. "Lemme brew up the coffee first," he slowly staggered to his gear, shaking the cobwebs and sleep out of his head. "Coffee, then breakfast, yes." he mumbled as he withdrew yet another packet of Khadoran Blend, along with a small brewing torch.

They may be mad, brutal, mostly frozen warriors, the Khadorans, but dammed if they didn't have the most potent coffee.

pre:
Jed Westman
Race: Human
Archetype: Skilled
Careers:  Alchemist / Explorer
Level / Xp Earned:  Hero / 5 
Faith:
Player Name: Dedman Walkin

Height / Weight:  5’10 /170 lbs
Defining Characteristics:

Character Portrait:

Damage Capacity
 [ ] [ ]   
 [ ] [ ]  [ ] [ ]  [ ] [ ]  
   [ ]      [ ]      [ ]    
   [ ]      [ ]      [ ]    

Current Feat Points:  3

Stats: (Before stat raise)
Physique [SPD/STR]: 6 [6/4]
Agility [PRW/POI]: 4 [4/4]
Intellect [ARC/PER]: 4 [*/4]

(Starting increases Int +1, Phy +1, Per +1, Agl +1)

Weapons:
Ranged: 
Pistol, Repeating | RAT: 5  | POW: 10
Pistol | Effective Range: 48 ft (8") | Extreme Range: 240 ft
Attack Mod: 0 | Special: Quick action to replace ammo wheel
5 shots - costs 2go for 5 light rounds, 15gp for spare ammo wheels
35gp + 8gp for 20 rounds + 15gp spare ammo wheel

Melee:
Sword | MAT 4 | POW: 3
Attack Mod: 0
12gc

DEF: 13 = 6(SPD) + 4(AGI) + 4(PER) -1(Armor)
ARM: 10 = 5(PHY) + 5(Armor)
INITIATIVE: 14 = 6(SPD) + 4(PRW) + 4(PER)
Willpower (PHY + INT): 9
COMMAND RANGE: 4” = 4(INT) +0 (Command Skill) 

Skills:
Hand Weapon 1 (Prw, Alch)
Pistol 1 (Poi, Exp)
Thrown Weapon 1 (Prw, Alch)

Alchemy 2 (Int, Alch)
Command +1 (Social)
Medicine 2 (Int, Alch/Exp)
Detection 1 (Per (General skill), Exp)
Navigation 2 (Per, Exp)
Survival 1 (Per, Exp)

Benefits & Abilities:
Exceptional Potential (Human)
Skilled Archtype: Extra Attack during activation Phase
Deft (Skilled Benefit) gain Boosted AGL rolls
Grenadier (Alch): Gain additional quick action each turn that can only be used to pull the pin.
Poison Resistance (Alch): Gains boosted rolls to resist poisons and toxins
Big Game Hunter (Exp): Against natural animals or beasts, gain bonus on atack rolls equal to Survival skill
Language (Any)(Exp)
Port of Call (Exp): For every level in Navigation, nominate a location he's visited more than once a Port of Call.  Navigating to Ports are easier than normal 
travel
Explorer Special: gain 25gc monthly from patron as long as he reports in

Gold:  130 gc (200gc - 12 - 58)
Gear: 
Alchemist's Leather, gas mask, traveling alchemist's kit, any 5 Alchemical Grenades, and grenadier's bandolier
Map Case, Spyglass
Alch Grenades: 2 Knockout, 1 Cinder, 1 Aches of Urcaen

Worn Armor: Alchemist's Leather
SPD Mod: 0  DEF Mod -1  ARM mod +5

Mechanika:

Connections: Patron
Connections: Golden Crucible-Llael Branch

Permanent Injuries:
Spoken Languages: Cygnaran, Ordic, Khadoran
Religious Beliefs: Morrow, carries small charms of Asc. Corben and Asc. Ellena
Notes:

Dedman Walkin fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

Properly "awakened" with the Khadorian Blend, Jed makes his way towards cleanliness, then downstairs to breakfast, second cup of coffee in hand. Getting his fill of tuck, he sits with Annallise and Julian.

"Sancteum?" he ponders as he gnaws through pancake. "Yeah, could give us enough credit to get recognized, could open doors with the right people, organizations, and nations. But then again, they may want us to jump through hoops and follow extra rules."

"Figure it's not too terrible to check in with it, at the least."

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

Jed fights the urge to look around to find the person Slag pointed out. "I'd like to think nobody would try to start a fight in a crowded tavern, during breakfast, when people are either too busy eating or hungover to fight. Or both, depending. Slag, you've got eyes on our boy, what's he look like?"

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

Jed turns to see Slagg and Jeff head over to the table. "Hopefully they'll bring us around to discuss work," he mused to himself, sipping his coffee. "Hopefully. Really not looking forward to a post-breakfast brawl."

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

"Well, nobody's flipping tables or pulling weapons so far, so I'm kinda optimistic," Jed talks to himself as he finishes his coffee.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

"Yeah, I'd like to know more about this warehouse," Jed leans forward in his seat. "If they do offer reagents, you'd figure a licensed alchemist could get in to check the wares, or perhaps have a permit for an inspection. Getting in, we could look around and find the chest. Preemptive observation."

Inside, Jed felt a little sad that a Crucible member was involved in shady dealings. Granted, he was kinda sorta a merc, and probably shady himself, but dammit, the Crucible stands for something!

"At the least, can pick up some reagents for later. Wait, hey, if this guy Stonks is a crook, could we get evidence to present to the Crucible? I mean, perhaps the Crucible could give some backup or something, get the crook out of their hair."

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

"I figure what we got so far will work," Jed says. "I go in, asking for wares, look around, and hey, if anyone else wants to come in, I figure that might work. Two eyes, and all that. Could say you're a trainee, or assistant, or bodyguard, or whatever'll work, I guess. Anyways, I get in, try to locate the trunk, then later at night, sneak in, get the trunk, sneak back out."

"Or at least sneak as best as we can," he shrugged.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

Jed nods as Annalise suggests Julian. "That'll work, I guess. Him the moneyman and me the potion-peddler, sounds good."

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

"And here we are," Jed says as they gather. "Ready to go inspect a warehouse?" He asks Julian.

I figure once Jed and Julian get any last-minute words and such, they'll head out to the warehouse.

EDIT: Thanks to Julian, I am reminded to give my weaponry to the others for safe-keeping. No need for respectable business representatives to have weaponry, right?

Dedman Walkin fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 26, 2013

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

Well, here goes, Jed thinks as he starts talking to the guard.

"Hello there, sir," he politely nods to the guard. "Jim Eastman, this is Mr. DeLancie, we're here for the meeting? I'm sure your boss got the letter about the details, our names should be on the list."

So I figure the best way we're getting in is to pretend we mailed a letter explaining our position, how we're looking to set up shop in town and would like to check out the warehouse and see if it's adequate for our needs. Since we obviously didn't mail a letter, I was going to go "Oh drat, guess Khador must have blown up the mail train again. Could you tell your boss about us, so we can try to get in anyways? Potential customers here!" The missing letter could be our alibi to help get us in.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

"Jim Eastman"

"Mister Stonks, is it?" Jed smiles and holds his hand out for a shake. "Jim Eastman, pleased to meet you."

"There was a letter sent to explain the situation, so we'd all be on common ground," Jed shrugs, "but apparently things went pear-shaped there. Probably the mail train got blowed up somewhere. So, the quick version. We're representatives of a new company looking to set up, amongst other things, an alchemists shop here in town. Since we did our research and learned you're a Crucible-licensed business, we'd be interested in a observation of your warehouse, to see if it meets our needs. If so, I'll mail back our highers-up, we can start an account, and we all make money and be happy."

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

"Jim Eastman"

Well at least he's interested to deal, Jed thought. Might make it easier to look around.

"Storage for reagents and bulk ingredients, needs to be stored in ventilated areas to prevent fume buildup, some will be stored in insulated containers, the Crucible standard for alchemical storing," he continues. "I figure if we come in with a crate of mineral crystals, say about this big-" Jed stretched out his hands to simulate the size of the crate, using the dimensions Jeff gave for the trunk, "along with a barrel of liquid A.W., figure as long as they're properly stored so any hazardous fumes will be properly ventilated, there'll be no risk of explosions due to spark-off, and if we'll be able to quickly get access if we get an order, that'll work fine for us."

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

"Take care, Mister Stonks," Jed nods in passing. Sometimes, even if you were pretending to be someone else trying to get a probably crook to let you look at his ill-gotten gains, it was nice to talk shop. "Okay then, Miss Mary, lead on. Let's start with dry storage first." And with that, the exploration is underway...

Just a FYI, I have drill this weekend, so my posting may be slowed down. Back to normal on Sunday afternoon.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

Jed tries to keep a straight face when he sees the box. Well, at least we know where it is, he thinks. Now to get it.

"Thanks for the tour Mary, most appreciated. Mr. DeLancie and I need a few minutes to confer to to ourselves, but please tell Mr. Stonks' we're impressed by what we've seen. Afterwards, we'll send a letter of recommendation to our parent company, and hopefully we'll return to start an account!"

Jed waits for Mary to take her leave (or Jed and Julian go behind a corner) and talks. "Well, we saw it. Now to let the others know of our observations, then figure a way of 'purchase'". Hopefully Jed is doing the sneaky-talk properly.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Unless Julian has any ideas, I think we're good. We found where the box is, we know where we can assess reagents in case the break-in goes pear shaped and some field alchemy is needed, I think we're golden on our end.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

"Toured the warehouse, found the box." Jed told the rest. "Nice place, the warehouse. Well organized, decent stock. If we weren't breaking in and stealing, I'd probably set up an account there." He describes the general layout, and where he saw the trunk. "The news of Lancers is pretty grim, but worse comes to worse, I could use the reagents to whip up something."

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

If we're at the awkward pause stage, I think it might be time to fast-forward to the break-in. So, once we finalize who's going where and doing what, we should be ready to reenact Leverage.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

"Whoa, wait...take it now? Well," he pauses, thinking. "That could beat the Lancers at night. Make a hollow in the cart to hide the trunk, maybe one other person..."

He continues to ponder, slowly pacing the ground. "Three guards at the door, Mr. Stonks and Mary inside... The cage is probably locked, so we need a way to open it, pick the lock, disable it somehow... Anyone know how to pick a lock?" he asks the others. "Otherwise, I figure I could pour some acid on it, melt it open." He turns to Slagg and Annalise. "I might be the one hiding in the cart, then."

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

Jeff's comment brings Jed back down to earth, somewhat. "Yeah, plus it'll take me a couple of hours to brew up a batch of rusting agent."

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

If there's an alchemist's shop around nearby, I could try to buy pre-made Rusting Agent, then try to mix that into the coal. Again, it depends if there's a shop nearby, and how long it takes to properly spike the coal.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

So, take an half-hour (and 18 gp) for Jed to get the rusting agent, the properly mix it with the coal so it won't instantly activate until it gets put in the jack furnace and lit. Unless anyone has any other ideas, we'll run with this.

Also, an excuse for why Slagg is late, "They told me to take it to the warehouse - they didn't say which one!"

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Yeah, if we have enough time, Jed will run out and buy the ingredients to brew up a batch of Vitriolic Fire to help breach the warehouse (or just buy it if time is critical).

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

I'm ready, just have to adjust my cash to buy a few smoke and rust grenades.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

Gas mask in place, alchemical grenade bandoleer slung, Jed followed Slagg into the warehouse. Ready to throw down smoke to cover themselves, and hoping they didn't need the rust grenades if the 'jacks showed up. Guess any chance of making an account here just went up in smoke, he thought.

If we get attacked by a group of goons (or a 'jack), I'll throw the smoke grenade to cover us while we move.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

No workers, even without the hole knocked in the wall? Jed thought. This doesn't feel good...

Keeping his weapons at the ready, Jed looks for any signs of ambush or trouble as they approach the cage.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

Ready to throw when he sees anything, he glances at Slagg and the others. "Well, cage's open," he whispers. "Now what?"

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

"No trunk?" Jed looks at the lack of trunk. "Either they had their official moving early, or they moved it elsewhere," Or this is all an ambush is what was left unsaid, as Jed was sure that thought was in everyone's head. Jed looks around, perhaps he can see what's going on.

Detection check, so 2d6 + my Per 4 + 1 Detection. Hopefully I can spot the trunk, or it's trail, or the party of goons sneaking up to ambush us, or whatever.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

"Ectoplasm," he whispers to the others, pointing to the film on the wall. This has gotten worse. Something passed through the cage to get the trunk. Something that was apparently leaking cortex fluid, or the crate was leaking it, or something was. Either way, this was looking real bad.

Odds are, whatever was responsible was at the front of the warehouse. And of course, they'd go find out what it was to get the trunk.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

Just gets worse and worse, Jed thinks when they get to the ruined Docker. If the thing that took the trunk was able to pass through the wall and the cage, leave behind exoplasm, and utterly wreck a 'jack, then it was on a short list of "Very Bad Things".

Hearing the moan, Jed points towards the office, then slowly and softly creeps inside.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

"...poo poo," barely got out of Jed's mouth as he headed to the wounded. Starting battlefield triage, he tries to talk to the wounded Stonks as he checks on him and Mary. Hopefully I can save at least one life today, if not two, he thinks. This heist is going downhill in a hurry.

"Mister Stonks, Mary, are you-" Jed realizes he still has his mask on, and unmasks. Figures if they come to, the sight of a gas-masked figure might scare them too much.

"Mr. Stonks, what happened?"

Medicine check, 2d6 + 4 Int + 2 Medicine

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

"Poisoned," Jed says to the group. "Before you head out, I need antitoxins." Since Jed knew the layout of the warehouse, he knew where the antitoxins were stored, or at least the reagents needed to brew up a batch. "Going out to save some lives, have someone watch them. Yell if anything bad happens!" And with that, Jed was off, running into the warehouse to get the materials needed to save lives.

Running out to get any stored antitoxins, or at least the reagents needed to brew a batch.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

Getting the components he needs, Jed heads to the alchemical brewery. Shouldn't take too long to whip up some antitoxin.

Alchemy roll to brew up antitoxin, 2d6 + Int 4 + Alchemy 1

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

Jed smiles as the reagent takes effect on Mr. Stonks. "Well," he mumbles to himself, "they're okay. Now to get them out of here and to a proper hospital - oh yeah, and get the trunk and figure what did...this" he looked at the ruined Docker. Poison, the destroyed 'jack, the ectoplasm, as much as Jed was dreading the results, it was looking like things were coming up Cryx...

Once the others returned, he'd let 'em know his thoughts and figure a way to get Mary and Stonks to safety. Right now, he'd stay in the office and tend to the wounded.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Once Jed sees someone from his position, he's going to get help to get Stonks and Mary out of the building. After that, probably get to a hospital and pull a "Yeah, we were leaving a bar, saw these two in bad shape, did the best we could, you guys take over, it's 10 minutes before last call!" Once the two are taken care of, yeah we need to regruop and figure what happened. Maybe talk to Stonks and Mary once they recover.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

Where did everyone go? Jed wondered. He didn't hear anything out of the ordinary, no screams or explosions. Looking back at Stonks and Mary, he decided it was time to be proactive. With a warehouse concerned with the storage and moving of alchemical components, there should be some handcarts for moving cargo. Jed figured if he could find one, he could load the two unconscious people up on it, then cart them outside.

Figure I'd head outside with the others rather than wait for someone to come get me.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

"Yeah, quicker we get these two safe, quicker we can figure out what happened," Jed says as he catches up with the others. "Boss," he continues at Ardenne, "pardon my bluntness, but this is cacked. I saw ectoplasm at the cage where the crate was. Something passed through the cage, wrecked a 'jack, hurt these two - I don't want to say "This reeks of Cryx", but this is feeling truly dreadful."

Pushing the cart towards the boat, Jed continues. "Let's talk on the way to the nearest hospice, or wherever. Maybe when they recover we could just ask them what happened. Long shot, but hey, might be all we got."

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

Damnit! From bad to - well, at least so far they didn't look like undead monsters. Jed reached into his bandoleer and withdrew one of his Knockout Grenades. Heading to Slagg, he goes "If we let 'em get close, Slagg here could throw this at 'em. They take a nap, we book it. Just a thought."

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Rereading the book, I think I goofed up having Jed give the grenade to Slagg. I thought Slagg's strength would work hurling the grenade to the ship. Since Jed has Thrown Weapon 1, if you want Slagg to give the grenade back to Jed, feel free.

Also, I have military obligations this weekend, and from Friday night to Sunday afternoon will be away from my computer. Feel free to have Jed do what needs to be done depending on the situation.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Find the nearest care facility, drop off our two casualties, figure things out from there. Part of me wants to have Jed visit them when they recover, and ask them what happened.

Other than that, stay out of the limelight, and probably read the papers to see how this poo poo is being spun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

Jed follows, keeping an eye on Stonks' and Mary's conditions.

• Locked thread