Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

The sound of Annalise's voice woke Jeff up from a restful sleep. Yawning loudly, he slipped out from under the thin covering he had slept under and quickly shrugged on his clothes. "I'll be down in a bit", he says while stifling another yawn. First things first, maintaining his gear. Drawing his rapier Jeff quickly sets about removing the clockwork capacitor to recharge. Though he had already done so last night before finally going to bed it was a good habit, albeit one his master had to practically beat into him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

Finished with his preparations, Jeff leaves the others in the room still sleeping and heads down to join with the others. Latest person to join the table and stuffing his mouth hurriedly, he only catches the last part about trying to charter with Sancteum, the Church of Morrow.

"The Church?" he says, looking a little surprised. "They might, but we'd probably have to prove ourselves first in spiritual quest of sort. Which could be anything, but mostly dangerous. I'd say its better to look elsewhere. Not to mention such a Charter would make us negate any contract if the Church became involved."

"We could try to collect a bounty placed by someone in a position of power. Defer the bounty and ask for help getting a Charter signed might work."

His piece said, he turns his attention back to finishing his food.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

Finishing his food, Jeff looks over at Slagg. "Given our luck so far, its probably both." His piece said, Jeff leans backs in his chair.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

Jeff lifts a hand towards Collin and says, "Whoa there Collin, he's paying for the guards drinks." Leaning forward on the table he continues. "But if they've been here since early this morning..." The man's well off, or better off than most in this quarter. He does seem to be intimidated by Slagg but trying to be friendly. So..."...it's a job. We may have been the specific target or just pointed out as a possibility. Me and Slagg will see what exactly" With that, Jeff stands and joins Slagg.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

Jeff feels the small bit of anxiety he had deflate as the man offers them the job. He still feels a bit cautious though. Putting on his best smile and a professional air, Jeff takes an available seat and begins to speak to the man.

"Our services are available for purchase. We can find what was stolen and 'secure' its safe return", he says with a wave towards Slagg.

"However, before that occurs, we need to know what the payment is, what was stolen, and information you may have regarding its loss. Give us the trail and we'll have it for you."

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

The mention of a charter makes Jeff blink. Obviously he's done his research. Still, this job sounds like the best chance they'll get.

"We'll accept. Now whats the item, and where's it held?"

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

"And where's the warehouse in question? Or might we borrow Corporal Montis to lead us there?"

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
As relayed to me by Gr3y

Jeff Tazdaf

After a few minutes more of discussion, Jeff stands up and walks back towards the group, Slagg in tow. After they've sat down, he lays out the map he was given and begins to relay the info to the assembled party.

"Alright. This could be it. In exchange for securing an iron trunk we can get our charter. Securing it will be the tricky part though. There's a local criminal named Tigh Stonks who is part of the Golden Crucible and uses this warehouse as a front", he says pointing to the location on the map. "They can't bust in to look for it over the stink the Golden Crucible would make over it. So we either need to get it ourselves, or make enough trouble inside that they can use that as a pretext to search the place."

"The main entrance is the loading bay, secured by very thick iron gates opened by steamjack. I'm assuming there's also some side entrances for the workers. They've had a man of theirs casing the place and security is typically lighter a few hours before dawn."

"So. Plans?"

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

"I'm assuming they just don't have enough evidence or they would have already taken care of him themselves," Jeff says. He begins to roll up the map and puts it away. "A quick and forceful approach may be our best chance. We wait until night, and when there's a shift change we snag a couple of workers on their way out. Get them to give us the location of the trunk if they know it, or if not anything useful they might know. Then wait until a couple hours before dawn, when security is lightest. We bust through the door, leaving someone to watch for trouble. The rest of us blaze through, find the trunk, and retrieve it. If we can't find the trunk, make a big enough disturbance to give the guard an excuse to come running."

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

Jeff shakes his head in response to Annalise's question. "No name or writing I'm afraid. What we're going to do is still against the law, even though we have its consent."

He looks around the table. "Any one else have a plan?"

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

I'm going to try and gauge how large the place is and where they store the steamjack. After that, I'll talk to some of the local fishermen as to how much it might cost for a midnight passage

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

The warehouse's sea based entrance seems to be a good place to smuggle goods. So it stands to reason some of it's less legal goods may be kept back there. Jeff considers this, and heads to the local dock to chat up some of the fishermen there and ask if they've noticed any suspicious ships around the warehouse or late at night.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

Lancers? That could be trouble. Seems like the place can call on some heavy protection if needed. It only serves to emphasize the need to get in and out quickly. But that does still leave the problem of pursuit. Jeff starts to head to the seedier sections and makes some quiet inquiries as to the price of some "late night boating" with "no questions asked". If he can secure some sea transport, that would take any heavy pursuit out of the problem. And at sea, it would be hard to beat a Wind Sorcerer. Maybe I Should of been a pirate he muses.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

Having found passage, Jeff realizes his shortage of personal coin would be a problem. He calls it a day and heads back to the meet up point.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

After meeting up with the others, Jeff relays the information he's gathered. "I spoke with one of the local fishermen, apparently hes seen Lancers do unloading at the warehouse. If they're delegating Lancers to unloading, either it was something that needed guarding or they just have enough Lancers around to use them as unloaders. Either way its not good for us that they can call on them. Any escape we make that is not quick will probably end with them being called in. Which brings me to my next bit of news. I've got a lead on some local "fishermen" who would be willing to boat to the warehouse, no questions asked. If we can get the trunk out the back of the warehouse onto the rive, we can make our escape there."

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
We seem to keep doing an awkward pause, unsure of whom is supposed to post next.

Jeff Tazdaff

"Julian, if you would come with me? We still need to actually hire the boat for tonight, and I am lacking in coinage to do so."

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

"A strike now? I doubt we'd make a clean getaway and then this whole thing could turn sour. Better to wait until its night and try our luck then."

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
lets go

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Thats the plan

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

Cringing slightly at the amount of noise Slagg made, Jeff draws his weapon. Thumbing the small switch on the rapier's hilt to activate its mechanika, he hurries into the breach.

Jeff will go in and head towards the trunk. If he sees any workers/guards he'll cast

Razor Wind | Cost: 2 | Range: 10
AoE: - | POW: 12 | Upkeep: No | Offensive: Yes
A blade of wind slices through the target

And add two fatigue points to boost attack and damage, since he has ARC 4.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

He knew the guardsman had said security would be light this time of night, but this was too easy. Nothing is ever too easy. In the time after he was forced to flee his village and live on his own, Jeff grew a wary sense of paranoia. So too did his time with Felbrakes mercenary company have him grow a sense for ambush. This reeked of it. "Jed, toss one of those smokes between us and the rest of the warehouse, but not between us and the cage"

Taking full advantage of my high SPD to run the rest of the way to the cage. Also if possible attack the lock with the spell from the previous post.

Quornes fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 8, 2013

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

Jeff takes the lock off and opens the door, then motions Slagg through.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

Not good. Not good at all. "Two minutes to search for it, then lets bail. Set a fire on the way out. This has gone south and bad."

2d6 + 3(PER) + 1(Detection) to search for trunk. Still going to blast any worker/guard I might see on sight.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

Well its just one of those days, it seems. Jeff says "If we don't want this to be a complete wash we'll need to follow that trail. Its our only clue."

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

This looks fresh. We'd better hurry thinks Jeff. Looking over the scene briefly, he says, "Jed, stay here and find out what you can. We'll hurry on to see if we can get to the trunk before the trail is gone."

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

Leaving Jed to his work, Jeff starts following the trail to the front of the warehouse, still alert for signs of danger

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

Hmm no blood, no bodies. Maybe they were lured out or in on it. Checking out front for stiffs should solved that. So far whoever has been behind this has declined to leave much for any investigator to work with. "Collin, this is just looking worse and worse. Lets take a look out the front, then circle around the front to meet up with Annalise and Julian. Hopefully we can find a clue to this mystery or Jed can get Stonks fixed up enough to talk"

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

Increasingly frustrated, Jeff throws his hands up in the air, then lets them down with a sigh. With the door still being barred, an alternative entrance must of been used. He starts going around the side, looking up to see if he sees anything and to meet with the outside group.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

Jeff merely shrugs in response to Collin's question

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff is going to meet with the others outside and see if he can see how someone got in and took the trunk out

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

Jeff approaches the others with empty hands. "Jed was taking care of stabilizing Stonks and Mary, they had been hurt rather severely, but I see him coming now. We did not find the trunk, someone had already beaten us to it." He then starts explaining the situation inside, with the laborjack destroyed, no sign of the guards, the front door barred from the inside, and being unable to find how they got the trunk out. "We came back out hoping you guys might of seen something outside giving any indication of how they got in."

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

"Oarsman quickly raise the sail!" yells Jeff. When the boatmen finish setting the sail up, Jeff summons the power of the wind to get them the gently caress out of there.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

Damnation, I still lack power! But maybe another way would work...

"Wait. Let it get closer, then I'll shred the its sails with razor sharp gusts." Jeff says. With the galleon's sails no longer catching the wind, he can return to filling the groups small boat's sail with wind and carry them to safety.

I'll just be using the Razor Wind spell on the ships sail.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

Jeff pours some more wind into the sail. "Pull off somewhere they won't find you, and we'll part ways." The big question now is what next? That will have to wait until the group is somewhere safer though.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
I say we take them with us to the rendezvous point, see what we can work out or see if it was a setup from the beginning.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Remember, Stonks and Mary, well Stonks, is a criminal running a smuggling operation and we owe him nothing really. If they get to know any of us or connect us to the incident they could make life difficult for us. Just nursing them back to health and then talking to them will make them suspicious about us and likely assume kidnapping. If we take them to the meeting point, the guard will take care of Mary who might not be a criminal, with Stonks missing in the attack the guard get him do with at their leisure and negate any negativity from the failed mission. If it turns out it was a setup it doesnt matter either way because we'll need to flee the city and head to Ord.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

Jeff, wary, thumbs his rapier's mechanika on but leaves it hidden in the scabbard. This could require a hasty exit, but he hopes not. He follows the others up onto the boat.

How big is the boat, i.e. like how many people could be on it if it came to a fight?

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

"Me and Slagg will stay here on watch. You guys head on in."

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

Jeff shrugs. "Alright, I'll take watch then." Jeff heads up the plank with the others and stands on guard outside the door. His hand rests on his rapier, ready for action should it come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

At the sight of man on the chest Jeff's hand tightens on the grip of his blade. Still leaving it sheathed he says, "I really didn't appreciate the theft of my coat either. Or leaving it at the scene."

• Locked thread