Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks for the heads up. Man do I want them to do another Stallone movie so we can have another special appearance. Hopefully Eliot won't be in the toilet or fugue state this time too.

The housecat song was amazing too. :radcat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.
While HDTGM is usually pretty hit or miss (live shows are always pretty great), this week’s Congo episode was hilarious. They probably spent 10 minutes talking about the unexpectedly violent gorilla massacre scene and June's "These monkeys don't know which way is up!" almost made me pull my car over because I was laughing so hard.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Looking for a particular episode of We Hate Movies where they riff on Larry the Cable Guy, repeating "Hey cool!" throughout the episode. When I first recalled that bit and wanted to find it again, I assumed they had done an episode on one of his movies, but browsing the list I don't see one of those so maybe it just came up randomly. Anyone happen to know which one I'm thinking of?

e: Ah must be the Tooth Fairy 2 episode -- that is Larry the Cable guy but I was remembering the first one starring The Rock.

One thing I've noticed that I think escapes a lot of the bad movie podcasters: schmaltz actually works better than schlock. As evidence, I submit the WHMs on Invisible Child and One Magic Christmas. It's the inimitable quality of absurdity created by someone who isn't even trying, who has no idea how bizarre their work is, that you'll never get from a B horror movie.

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 14, 2013

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
My favorite part of the Congo HDTGM was "Hey guys, this movie is so crazy we haven't even talked about how there is a talking gorilla yet" because I had also forgotten that there was a talking ape in the movie Congo.

Zohn fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 14, 2013

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

A Violence Gang posted:

Looking for a particular episode of We Hate Movies where they riff on Larry the Cable Guy, repeating "Hey cool!" throughout the episode. When I first recalled that bit and wanted to find it again, I assumed they had done an episode on one of his movies, but browsing the list I don't see one of those so maybe it just came up randomly. Anyone happen to know which one I'm thinking of?

e: Ah must be the Tooth Fairy 2 episode -- that is Larry the Cable guy but I was remembering the first one starring The Rock.

One thing I've noticed that I think escapes a lot of the bad movie podcasters: schmaltz actually works better than schlock. As evidence, I submit the WHMs on Invisible Child and One Magic Christmas. It's the inimitable quality of absurdity created by someone who isn't even trying, who has no idea how bizarre their work is, that you'll never get from a B horror movie.

One of my favorite WHM ever. Their disdain for Larry is just incredible. "COOL!"

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

The Duke posted:

One of my favorite WHM ever. Their disdain for Larry is just incredible. "COOL!"

HEH HEH OH COOL MY DISABILITY CHECK IS HERE COOOOOOOL!

OH COOL THEY SENT ME AN EXTRA VIAL OF INSULIN!

I'M ALMOST 48 YEARS OLD COOL!

I'M GONNA DIE SOON

COOOOOOOOOL!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

OldTennisCourt posted:

HEH HEH OH COOL MY DISABILITY CHECK IS HERE COOOOOOOL!

OH COOL THEY SENT ME AN EXTRA VIAL OF INSULIN!

I'M ALMOST 48 YEARS OLD COOL!

I'M GONNA DIE SOON

COOOOOOOOOL!

Him and Jim Belushi being utter reviled (entirely rightly) by them is so great to listen to. Like usually they try to keep things from being too personal and focus on 'this scene is terrible' or 'this acting sucks' but for them they just actively hate the human being behind the role and it's wonderful.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I agree, their hatred of Jim Belushi is my favorite thing.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Trawling the WHM archives I relistened to Babycakes which is another fantastic example of what I was talking about above. It's just so much more interesting when an attempt to create pablum results in utter insanity than it is when someone intentionally makes ludicrous bullshit. Like, Nicholas Cage and Uwe Boll know what they're doing but Riki Lake or Mary Steenburgen absolutely do not. I can still enjoy the former but the latter is like a glorious discovery of outsider art in bad movie podcast terms.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh hey, I'm not crazy for finding How Did This Get Made completely obnoxious! I think the Super Mario Brothers episode was the last straw for me, they spent half the time bickering over NOTHING and missed out on a lot of insane stuff in the movie they could have mocked. Flophouse is way better - when I'm out of new podcasts I just pick a flophouse episode at random to listen to.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

A Violence Gang posted:

Trawling the WHM archives I relistened to Babycakes which is another fantastic example of what I was talking about above. It's just so much more interesting when an attempt to create pablum results in utter insanity than it is when someone intentionally makes ludicrous bullshit. Like, Nicholas Cage and Uwe Boll know what they're doing but Riki Lake or Mary Steenburgen absolutely do not. I can still enjoy the former but the latter is like a glorious discovery of outsider art in bad movie podcast terms.

Yeah, that's why The Room is so popular. Even though Tommy Wiseau now pretends it was a comedy all along, the fact that he clearly took it so seriously is why it's so endearing.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oh hey, I'm not crazy for finding How Did This Get Made completely obnoxious! I think the Super Mario Brothers episode was the last straw for me, they spent half the time bickering over NOTHING and missed out on a lot of insane stuff in the movie they could have mocked. Flophouse is way better - when I'm out of new podcasts I just pick a flophouse episode at random to listen to.

My biggest complaint over the last few months is them dropping any attempts to tell you how the movie unfolds, earlier episodes and other podcasts talk about a film scene by scene and if you haven't seen the film you could still summarize it to another person. Their lack of focus over the last few months has turned it into an explanation of a few wacky scenes or premises with no indicator of the pacing or flow of a film.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The Duke posted:

I love how they bring Guy Fieri into it and kind of just use the same voice. The idea of Larry The Cable Guy doing anything with Guy Fieri and just saying "KEWWWL" back and forth is amazing.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dr. Lariat posted:

My biggest complaint over the last few months is them dropping any attempts to tell you how the movie unfolds, earlier episodes and other podcasts talk about a film scene by scene and if you haven't seen the film you could still summarize it to another person. Their lack of focus over the last few months has turned it into an explanation of a few wacky scenes or premises with no indicator of the pacing or flow of a film.

YES. Exactly. The one that really started to grate on me was the Sleepaway Camp episode. Someone - June, I think - didn't understand something, and they spent 10+ minutes bickering about it. Not about some weird goofy thing in the movie - about the basic facts of the plot they could look up on Wikipedia in 2 seconds and then move onto something interesting for funny. I think it was about how some characters related to each other. And they hadn't explained any of the plot or characters to the listeners yet, so I couldn't even understand what the argument was ABOUT until later in the podcast. And everyone on the show has such a loving huge ego that they all have to get the last word in. It was MADDENING.

Also, they actually liked The Odd Life of Timothy Green, so much that they didn't point out ANY of the outright batshit crazy stuff that happens, instead spending all their time talking about how the movie made them cry. What a waste of potential - coincidentally, The Flophouse did that movie the same week and knocked it out of the park.

(Maybe that was a prank on the audience though, Tim Heidecker was their guest on that episode and it seems like the kind of thing he'd do.)

In general, I realized it was time to unsubscribe when I found myself hitting the skip ahead button on my iPhone to jump past the arguments to the actual funny bits. On EVERY episode.

Edit: Looking back through this thread I see this discussion has already been had, so sorry if I started a derail. I'll end it by saying this thread made me discover We Hate Movies, which is now right up there with The Flophouse for me.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 17, 2013

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Dr. Lariat posted:

I think the live shows are to blame for this. They usually don't bother summarizing the movie during those since (I'm assuming) the crowd just finished watching it beforehand.

The style just seems to have spilled over to the normal shows over time.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I agree about HDTGM feeling really aimless lately, but man, the Congo and Street Fighter episodes are both recent and up there as their best episodes.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, I love HDTGM. Their live shows are the bomb, that tangent in Sleepaway Camp of trying to figure out the plot is one of their funniest moments ever and I really don't need these podcasts to summarize the plots of the movies they're covering anyway.

I maybe like We Hate Movies better but HDTGM is a close second.

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
The Flophouse is the only bad-movie podcast I listen to, and I love it.

How Did This Get Made is one of several different panel-of-comedians-loving-around-and-riffing podcasts I listen to, and it's pretty good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I don't really view HDTGM as a 'movie' podcast, it's just kinda three friends and a guest get together, be really funny, and the thread for each episode is 'we just saw this loving trash movie'.

I have Flop House and WHM for 'movie' podcasts.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
I checked out WHM for the first time with the Cat's Eye episode and after them riffing on their Alan King impersonation, I'm on board! Well, Alan King and Jingles, the drunken rear end in a top hat actor cat. Good stuff.

I agree on HDTGM, it's not as in depth as movie podcast, but pretty fun to listen to them carry on about them and have a good time.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Shocktober 2013 comes to a spookily snorifying end with Flop House #137: The Purge.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Why do you need a complete summary of the movie anyway? Is that even an interesting way to spend listening to a podcast. Just cut out the bullshit and tell me funny things about the movie.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Urdnot Fire posted:

Shocktober 2013 comes to a spookily snorifying end with Flop House #137: The Purge.

No time makes me sadder about the Flop House's biweekly schedule than Shocktober.

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.

The_Rob posted:

Why do you need a complete summary of the movie anyway? Is that even an interesting way to spend listening to a podcast. Just cut out the bullshit and tell me funny things about the movie.

Context helps the comedy and provides the show some loose structure.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

moleman posted:

Context helps the comedy and provides the show some loose structure.

Yeah, a lot of the jokes on HDTGM kind of lose me because they're reliant on context that the hosts know but I don't. I think We Hate Movies does the best job at telling jokes while taking you through the plot of a movie.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

The more people complain about Jason Mantzoukas, the less faith I have in humanity.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

bobservo posted:

Yeah, a lot of the jokes on HDTGM kind of lose me because they're reliant on context that the hosts know but I don't. I think We Hate Movies does the best job at telling jokes while taking you through the plot of a movie.

Pretty much this. I've come down hard on HDTGM before, so I listened to a few episodes this weekend. It's funny don't get me wrong, but the really scattered conversations do hurt it a lot. With WHM you don't have to have watched the films to enjoy the show, but it seems like you do need to in order to enjoy HDTGM because of how much the just sort of bumble around. It doesn't help that they tend to talk over each other A LOT.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

OldTennisCourt posted:

It doesn't help that they tend to talk over each other A LOT.

You know when you start saying something, and someone else interrupts you, and both of you wait for the other to speak? And then you both start to speak at the same time, and repeat the process?

That's HDTGM. All the time.

It's funny when it happens once or twice, but when it's an entire podcast of that, I can't listen to it anymore.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
A basic summary of the movie also helps because I'm often not going to seek out and watch whatever schlock they review before I listen to it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Seemlar posted:

A basic summary of the movie also helps because I'm often not going to seek out and watch whatever schlock they review before I listen to it.

You should when its movies like Over the Top

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You know when you start saying something, and someone else interrupts you, and both of you wait for the other to speak? And then you both start to speak at the same time, and repeat the process?

That's HDTGM. All the time.

It's funny when it happens once or twice, but when it's an entire podcast of that, I can't listen to it anymore.

Add in Jason recording his part over Skype every 5th episode and it gets worse.

It's a testament to how funny the three hosts are that we all listen to HDTGM despite its flaws. I really would like SOME kind of structure to the show, like a little background or plot overview or just going chronologically.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
HDTGM seemed to keep on top of breaking down the story in order this time around. I don't think I'll go back to the Halloween 3 episode as often as the Pluto Nash one but it's still pretty solid.

By the way, thanks for the introduction to We Hate Movies.

Edit: And "The FLop House". Can't forget them.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

In case anyone here listens to Alcohollywood, we've figured out our lineup for the next three months:

quote:

5-Nov 112 The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure
12-Nov 113 The Lady Vanishes
19-Nov 114 Fight Club
26-Nov 115 THANKSCONNICKUH SPECIAL: Dolphin Tale
3-Dec 116 Day of the Dolphin
10-Dec 117 Black Lightning
17-Dec 118 Popeye the Movie
22-Dec 119 CHRISTMAS SPECIAL: Jingle All the Way
30-Dec 120 Pi
7-Jan 121 Mothra vs. Godzilla
14-Jan 122 Mean Girls
21-Jan 123 Ichi the Killer
28-Jan 124 TBD (dependent on whether we go to the Podcast Awards this year)

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Hewlett posted:

In case anyone here listens to Alcohollywood, we've figured out our lineup for the next three months:
I can't wait to see how you guys react to Oogieloves after the Flop House episode :allears:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh man that's a great lineup, Oogie Loves will break you. You think you have a greater fortitude than the illustrious Floppers? You might as well delete the rest of the list and write 'we're forced into an asylum'.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

http://netflixmartyrs.blogspot.com/2013/10/episode-10-branded.html

Over at The Netflix Martyrs we covered "Branded" this week, a movie that is so batshit crazy and off the rails that I couldn't even begin to describe it in a coherent thought. So here's some free association: cow sacrifice, Russian reality TV, evil mascots, awkward car sex, Jeffrey Tambor, marketing superheroes, Max von Sydow, the greatest actress of our generation (Leelee Sobieski).

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

weekly font posted:

http://netflixmartyrs.blogspot.com/2013/10/episode-10-branded.html

Over at The Netflix Martyrs we covered "Branded" this week, a movie that is so batshit crazy and off the rails that I couldn't even begin to describe it in a coherent thought. So here's some free association: cow sacrifice, Russian reality TV, evil mascots, awkward car sex, Jeffrey Tambor, marketing superheroes, Max von Sydow, the greatest actress of our generation (Leelee Sobieski).

Ooh, gonna listen to this.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Haven't listened to WHM in awhile, I was almost crying with laughter during the Cat's Eye episode when they were going off on Louie Anderson's cat food hotdog :roflolmao:

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

The Duke posted:

Haven't listened to WHM in awhile, I was almost crying with laughter during the Cat's Eye episode when they were going off on Louie Anderson's cat food hotdog :roflolmao:

Yeah it was pretty great. Listened to an oldie in The Haunting and that had some great impressions too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

The Duke posted:

They kept going back to the Louie Anderson impression and it cracked my rear end up every time.